Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheLion
Topic Author

Discussion: Mods, why lock the 9/11 memorial thread?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am

Hi mods

Why did you lock the 9/11 Memorial Thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1373533

Surely that is aviation related? Air accidents, tragedies and terrorist incidents are wholly appropriate for this forum and are covered frequently.

Thnaks
The Lion

Revelation

Re: Discussion: Mods, why lock the 9/11 memorial thread?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am

Ask moderators@airliners.net or post to Site Specific Forum, please...

qf789

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 pm

While I was not the mod who locked it I will assume that it was locked as there was another 9/11 thread in the non aviation forum. I have sent an email out to the other mods to confirm this. Hopefully there will be a definite answer to your question later today

atcsundevil

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

TheLion wrote:
Hi mods

Surely that is aviation related? Air accidents, tragedies and terrorist incidents are wholly appropriate for this forum and are covered frequently.

Thnaks
The Lion

The thread was locked because there's a very similar thread already in Non Av. The thread in Civ Av started out mostly aviation related, so even though it was a duplicate topic, I left it in place throughout the day despite off-topic comments. It wasn't locked out of insensitivity — not only am I American, but I'm a native Washingtonian. I believe it was fair to leave the memorial thread in place in Civ Av on the day of the anniversary, with continued discussion in the other thread in Non Av.

TheLion
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Hi mods

Thnaks
The Lion

The thread was locked because there's a very similar thread already in Non Av. The thread in Civ Av started out mostly aviation related, so even though it was a duplicate topic, I left it in place throughout the day despite off-topic comments. It wasn't locked out of insensitivity — not only am I American, but I'm a native Washingtonian. I believe it was fair to leave the memorial thread in place in Civ Av on the day of the anniversary, with continued discussion in the other thread in Non Av.

Ok fair enough. Thanks for the response.

Moose135

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 am

atcsundevil wrote:

That's perfectly reasonable, but it would have been nice if you had included this explanation with a link to the Non Av thread.

atcsundevil

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

Moose135 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

That's perfectly reasonable, but it would have been nice if you had included this explanation with a link to the Non Av thread.

I typically do, but the thread had only received eight replies in the 15 hours the thread was open. People don't generally go looking for threads with such few replies after they've dropped off the first page. The thread in Non Av was already on its second page of replies by that point, so I made the assumption that many people already knew about the other topic (since it was originally posted in Civ Av), and a notification wasn't necessary. Furthermore, the link to that thread was already under "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the locked topic, so including a link would have been redundant.

Moose135

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks, I appreciate you explaining that.

VirginFlyer

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

I typically do, but the thread had only received eight replies in the 15 hours the thread was open. People don't generally go looking for threads with such few replies after they've dropped off the first page. The thread in Non Av was already on its second page of replies by that point, so I made the assumption that many people already knew about the other topic (since it was originally posted in Civ Av), and a notification wasn't necessary. Furthermore, the link to that thread was already under "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the locked topic, so including a link would have been redundant.

I strongly believe it should be standard policy that when a moderator locks a thread, a reason should be provided. It doesn't need to be overly complex, but it would help users understand what is going on and avoid the need for threads like this.

The similar topics field isn't as obvious as the moderator providing a link to the thread where discussion is being directed. For instance, here are the similar topics displayed to me on the locked thread:

• Forget snakes on a plane, how about scorpions on UA?
  • 28yrs since Tiananmen square, lets not forget.
  • India To Sri Lanka: Forget China, We Want Your Empty Airport
  • 9/11 - Are we starting to forget?
  • Why was there never a A340 P2F conversion?

If I was looking for a 9/11 memorial thread, it wouldn't jump out to me from that list.

V/F