Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Photo related issues

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello,

With this website being mainly about aviation photos, it surprises and disappoints me that there are still so many photo-related issues that need fixing/improving and it seems like an eternity before users actually see any changes. Eight months of this year have now passed and the only significant photo-related improvement I can recall is the addition of EXIF info. A real shame that nothing has been done about the following photo related items:

Photo search engine
*Selecting category Passenger still gives cargo aircraft photo results
*No possibility to search for part of a registration in the Reg field (e.g. searching for “PH-B” gives no results while there are lots of aircraft regs starting with these characters)
*No possibility to search only a particular month (you have to select a year before you can select a month)

Search results / photo page
*View search details results as one column (in stead of two)
*Improvement of the EXIF data (e.g. change “FocalLength: 3000/10” into “Focal Length: 300 mm”)

Photo albums
*Move photos within an album
*Delete photos from an album

Database
*Many double entries regarding airlines and airports (often with a very small difference) that should be deleted/corrected.

Photographer/uploader related items
*On the upload page, have the photo date field automatically filled out by extracting the EXIF data (but still editable by the uploader)
*Photo/photographer statistics are mostly missing

No offense, but I expected a bit more from such a professional high-quality website. Hopefully the developers can shift to the next gear soon and fix some of these relatively small items.

Thanks in advance.

airkas1

Re: Photo related issues

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi Joost,

Trying to answer all your points below.

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Photo search engine
*Selecting category Passenger still gives cargo aircraft photo results
*No possibility to search for part of a registration in the Reg field (e.g. searching for “PH-B” gives no results while there are lots of aircraft regs starting with these characters)
*No possibility to search only a particular month (you have to select a year before you can select a month)

* Added to the list, but no ETA. Can you link a few of the cargo photos you encounter? Because perhaps the issue lies in a wrong category listing (i.e. listed as normal/other category in stead of 'cargo'). In that case the search function works correctly, but the photo info needs to be corrected.
* Known issue and on the list, but no ETA.

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Search results / photo page
*View search details results as one column (in stead of two)
*Improvement of the EXIF data (e.g. change “FocalLength: 3000/10” into “Focal Length: 300 mm”)

* Honestly I'm not sure if this will be changed. In any case not a high priority (sorry).
* This will get fixed is currently on the developer's radar I think. However, no ETA.

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Photo albums
*Move photos within an album
*Delete photos from an album

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Database
*Many double entries regarding airlines and airports (often with a very small difference) that should be deleted/corrected.

* * Known issue and on the list, but no ETA. Depends on when the editors finally get all the tools they need.

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Photographer/uploader related items
*On the upload page, have the photo date field automatically filled out by extracting the EXIF data (but still editable by the uploader)
*Photo/photographer statistics are mostly missing

* I assume that the developer is still working on this, together with the other EXIF related issue you mentioned.
* Would indeed be really nice to have, but first we need to iron out all basic things (like all the above) before implementing nice-to-have features. This is my personal opinion though.

------
Unfortunately I don't have any insights on what is currently being worked on and when we can expect to see results. There is 1 developer working on the site, which is why things may not move as fast as everyone would like. The next items that are highest priority as far as I'm concerned are the editors tools and search function issues. I'm trying to nag them about it occasionally (in a good way) :)

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks for your reply Kas. I notice a lot "known and on the list, but no ETA", which has been the same story for over a year. So I'd appreciate it if you can light a fire under the developer every now and then :)

Regarding the cargo aircraft photos: as an example, if I select category "Passenger" and airline "Air Cargo Global", you would expect zero results (since it's an all cargo airline), yet 81 photos show up.

airkas1

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
I notice a lot "known and on the list, but no ETA", which has been the same story for over a year.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's annoying for me to have to keep saying that as well. I do try to press a bit at times, but I don;t think we can go any faster as we do, although I have no idea what the work schedule looks like higher up the chain. I wish I knew how to code, so I could perhaps help out...

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Regarding the cargo aircraft photos: as an example, if I select category "Passenger" and airline "Air Cargo Global", you would expect zero results (since it's an all cargo airline), yet 81 photos show up.

I was able to reproduce this and ee what you mean. Have added it to the entry, thanks.

AviatorKid

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 am

Hi, I have recently created an account and have a question. I am trying to upload my first two photos but they have been in screening for two days. Is this normal?

Thanks,

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 am

AviatorKid wrote:
Hi, I have recently created an account and have a question. I am trying to upload my first two photos but they have been in screening for two days. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the site! That depends on whether you mean screening or the queue. I assume you mean the queue in which case it will take 4-5 days for your images to be screened.

Regards

Paul

AviatorKid

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 am

PanAm_DC10 wrote:
AviatorKid wrote:

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to the site! That depends on whether you mean screening or the queue. I assume you mean the queue in which case it will take 4-5 days for your images to be screened.

Regards

Paul

OK thanks. Is there any way to get photos screened faster. I know there are a lot of users uploading photos, but I have a few hundred that I would like to upload and only having two in screening at a time taking 4-5 days will take me about a year to get them all up.

Thank you in advance.

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 am

The more photos you get accepted, the more photos you can upload at one time.

airkas1

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Plus if you happen to have photos of registrations that are not yet in the database, you may upload those using the priority checkbox. All other photos will be screened as part of the regular queue. With a current queue length of ~4 days, it shouldn't take too long to have the extra slots (provided the photos all get accepted).

Moose135

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm

AviatorKid wrote:
OK thanks. Is there any way to get photos screened faster. I know there are a lot of users uploading photos, but I have a few hundred that I would like to upload and only having two in screening at a time taking 4-5 days will take me about a year to get them all up.

Consider yourself lucky. When I was uploading photos here, it was 2+ weeks to get photos screened.

AviatorKid

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

When in screening are photos supposed to look blurry until clicked on?

AviatorKid

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Can a photo be counted as priority screening if it has been painted in a new livery. Example: a 757 now painted in AAL new livery inststead of reto.

scbriml

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:56 pm

AviatorKid wrote:
Can a photo be counted as priority screening if it has been painted in a new livery. Example: a 757 now painted in AAL new livery inststead of reto.

Click on the "?" button on the upload page...

Priority Screening Guidelines

The following subjects will be given priority screening and will qualify for a news banner on the front page:

New type of aircraft.
New type of aircraft for an airline - in full scheme, including sub-types, i.e. 737-700, 737-900.
First flight for 1 of the above.
New cabin design.
New color scheme for an airline, including different types and sub-types, i.e. 737-700, 737-900.
New special colors (i.e. retro jets, logo jets, colorful one-offs), including sub-types, i.e. 737-700, 737-900.
New type for an armed force.
New colorful special for a military aircraft (including tail only, even not highly visible, including camo).
The following subjects will be given priority screening, but will NOT qualify for a news banner on the front page:

New type of aircraft for an airline - hybrid/untitled.
New aircraft for an airline ñ in full scheme (new registration or manufacturer reusable registration). Museum, restored or permanent display aircraft are excluded.
Delivery flights of new aircraft/registration for airline in full scheme.
Registrations/serials that are new to the database. Museum/restored/permanent display aircraft are excluded from this, as well as crops of new registrations/serials.
First visits of newsworthy aircraft (at screeners discretion).
Major Airshows (Paris, Farnborough, Berlin, Dubai, MAKS only!). NOTE: priority will only be given during show days.
Accident or incident (accident or incident must be visible in the picture. Burst tires or missing winglets etc. do not qualify. After a crash, we will only accept pictures where the crash is visible in the picture. We will not priority accept shots of the aircraft in question taken before the crash.
The following subject will NOT be given priority screening:

First visit of airline X and/or aircraft Y to airport Z.
Please read the following notes:

Priority screening is given up to 24 hours after the first shot was added.
Only the first shots will be added to the banner, to reward those who come to Airlines.net first.
All of the above priority rules are at screeners discretion and subject to change.

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am

Are there any updates on the outstanding issues?

airkas1

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Unfortunately not. I can’t share much, but there is something in the works which should be finished within 2 weeks. After that, I think the finishing touch will be put on the editor tools. And after that I don’t know yet.

moa999

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm

As another small issue.
Photoid rags don't work in Tapatalk.
You need to view in web to view the photos.

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:21 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Unfortunately not. I can’t share much, but there is something in the works which should be finished within 2 weeks.

Hi Kas, has this been realized in the meantime?

airkas1

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Hi Kas, has this been realized in the meantime?

No :ziplip: Unfortunately no ETA on it.

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am

Can somebody light a fire under the developer, please? :)

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:44 am

Any news on this?

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:28 am

More than a year has passed, so please allow me to repeat myself:
dutchspotter1 wrote:
Any news on this?

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 am

Hello,

Any news on this?

Thank you in advance.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Hello,

Any news on this?

Thank you in advance.

No...sorry

anthonycistolo

Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 am

Hi crew,

I submitted "Photo Correction" about 5 hours ago to add a caption to my own photo, but it hasn't appeared yet. I'm just wondering whether the correction function works right or not.

Photo ID: 6007503
Regards,
Anthony Cistolo

glen

Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am

In my experinece the correction function works fine. But you have to be patient, as the database editors are (like all staff) voulunteers and there is no guarantee when one of them is at work. It rarely takes more than a day to have a correction implemented, however there is no guarantee.

dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 pm

airkas1 wrote:
dutchspotter1 wrote:
Database

* * Known issue and on the list, but no ETA. Depends on when the editors finally get all the tools they need.

Good to see that at least a little work has been done on this, finally. Let's hope that this is just the beginning.