Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Canuck600
Topic Author

Passing a knowledge test to join?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Just wondering if there could be a basic knowledge test you have to complete as part of joining airliners.net? I'm probably going to get slammed for this but I've been reading airliners.net for years and the lack of basic knowledge of aircraft seems to be getting worse & worse. It's almost like some people don't read anything aviation related besides this forum. The whole issue of how short range aircraft are moved long distance is one example. You don't have to do much aviation related reading at all before the subject of ferry or extra tanks being added comes up so why does the question keep getting asked? Establishing a basic level of knowledge to join would improve the level of posting I think. At the very least it would get people to do some research or extra reading before they ask the most basic of questions. Or maybe add a glossary or faq? I know I'm coming across as opinionated for somebody that just started posting but I've been reading the forum for at least 10 years.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Re: Passing a knowledge test to join?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 am

Hi

Welcome to the site it's good to have you on board! At this point in time we have no plans for a knowledge test for those joining the site. It's an idea worthy of consideration but some people join to learn and know very little which is why you see so many repetitive threads. They haven't been following the site for as long as you and many others have. We have the first two posts needing moderator approval and that will remain and weeds out those who are joining just to troll. A solution would be to bring back the quiz and have people do that but that is something that won't be possible for some time as the quiz needs work for the new site.

In the meantime just ignore low quality posts or those who you don't agree with.

Regards

Paul

CH47A

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 am

There is a matter of economics in this whole business of these forums and the parent company where they have to justify this or that purchase and the holding on of this or that forum will disapprove of anything that might reduce participation.

What might be of benefit is some sort of location -- sub-forum or static something located on the site -- where new folks really interested in learning could go to study. You could then use that when you want to point out to a rookie that they need to study this or that.

And if you don't want a kind of knowledge something here on this site, you might want to put your heads together and decide upon a source out there on the Net.

ChrisKen

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
Just wondering if there could be a basic knowledge test you have to complete as part of joining airliners.net? I'm probably going to get slammed for this but I've been reading airliners.net for years and the lack of basic knowledge of aircraft seems to be getting worse & worse. It's almost like some people don't read anything aviation related besides this forum. The whole issue of how short range aircraft are moved long distance is one example. You don't have to do much aviation related reading at all before the subject of ferry or extra tanks being added comes up so why does the question keep getting asked? Establishing a basic level of knowledge to join would improve the level of posting I think. At the very least it would get people to do some research or extra reading before they ask the most basic of questions. Or maybe add a glossary or faq? I know I'm coming across as opinionated for somebody that just started posting but I've been reading the forum for at least 10 years.

Great idea. The first question can be on the use of grammar and punctuation so we don't have to read an amorphous mass of text.

Be careful when throwing stones. we ALL have something to learn.

LCKip

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:48 am

Great idea. The first question can be on the use of grammar and punctuation so we don't have to read an amorphous mass of text.Be careful when throwing stones. we ALL have something to learn.[/quote]

A test on use of grammar isn't a good idea at all. It means that only native speakers in english or very experienced people will pass the test. And yes, we all ahve something to learn and the learning process is always ongoing. Give people a chance to enjoy airliners.net, be polite and patien to new members.

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 am

No, ship Sherlock.

LCKip

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:04 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
No, ship Sherlock.

What does this mean? Some American expression? I'm not a native speaker as you know, so I'm curious.

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Means you were stating the obvious with your reply
My first post in this thread was along the same lines as your reply to it.

And no, not American, 'they' don't get sarcasm.

coolian2

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:

Great idea. The first question can be on the use of grammar and punctuation so we don't have to read an amorphous mass of text.

Be careful when throwing stones. we ALL have something to learn.

I hate that you beat me to this.

Canuck600
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 am

Sorry about the formatting, a lot of places if you hit enter it means you're submitting a post. Having read airliners.net for years I should have clued in.

VirginFlyer

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:09 am

I've been participating here for 17 years. I think I've learnt a significant amount in that time. I'd like to think I offer quality contributions from time to time. Should I have been prevented from participating on the basis of not being able to pass an arbitrary test 17 years ago?

Perhaps more helpful would be for us to be patient with new users, and through kindness and helpfulness enable them to grow their knowledge base about aviation to the level we have been able to reach. That surely is the purpose of a forum after all; for everyone's understanding, wherever it may be to start with, to be advanced.

One other thought: in the 17 years I have been participating here, there have always been complaints about the lack of knowledge getting "worse and worse". To be honest I have not seen that. There have always been people asking questions that seem a bit strange or silly to the more seasoned professionals. It predates the establishment of paid memberships. It predates the disestablishment of paid memberships. I suspect the perception of lack of knowledge getting "worse and worse" is actually more to do with individuals who have been here for some time becoming more knowledgable through their experience here, and then noticing more and more posts from people who have yet to have the benefit of that knowledge.

Canuck600 wrote:
Or maybe add a glossary or faq?

This strikes me as a significantly more useful suggestion than a knowledge test.

V/F