Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FrmrKSEngr
Topic Author

Ads covering content

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 am

Here is something new I just experienced today. The vertical ads are now covering forum content, and no longer have a close button/"X".

I get it, since I am not paying, I get to experience ads. But covering the content is going to drive me away, not get me to pay for a membership upgrade.

VirginFlyer

Re: Ads covering content

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I believe what you're referring to is a known issue caused as a result of signatures having too long a string of unbroken text, leading to the whole content being pushed right, underneath the vertical advert. Have a look at these two earlier threads in Site Related:

Long Signatures

Long text strings in signatures pushing posts to the right underneath ads

A work around I have found for this is to reduce the width of the window when you go to a thread which has someone with a long signature posting in it; that will change the display format to the mobile site style, where there are no side bar vertical adverts. You could also browse from a mobile device, although that too is beset by issues of its own with a spam malware advert that takes now control of your browser and redirects you off site (there's a thread ongoing about that on site related too, which I have linked in my signature).

The other thing I do is when I come across this long signature issue, I'll make a post quoting the user with the offending signature, and politely point out the issue and ask if they can introduce some spaces into the text string in their signature so that it doesn't continue to cause problems; that has had a good response so far.

V/F

VirginFlyer

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am

Another issue I've just noticed (I've taken to using my PC to browse A.net more since the regrettable shemozzle with malware adverts on the mobile site) is that the grey box at the very bottom of the page with navigation links and info:

Perhaps the grey box could be narrowed, or the ads set to not display below a certain level on the page, in the same way they don't display above a certain level to avoid covering the header.

V/F

sharles

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Another issue I've just noticed (I've taken to using my PC to browse A.net more since the regrettable shemozzle with malware adverts on the mobile site) is that the grey box at the very bottom of the page with navigation links and info

The issue with footer links covered by ads still exists. I've taken to reporting the ads to Google, but even when closed by Google, the content is stil covered.