readytotaxi
Topic Author

Respected user. Well?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:54 pm

We ever gonna get this back?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Re: Respected user. Well?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 am

Hi

It's on the list but it won't come back for some time but you can follow your favourite users which is the same as respecting them.

Regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

zkeye

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 am

"you can follow your favourite users which is the same as respecting them"

No, it is not. With respected ratings, you can immediately tell if a user (even if you don't know them) has generated respect from other users. People with low respect ratings making big calls were able to be readily discounted.
Bring out the gimp

PlaneInsomniac

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Realistically, it's gone. We have waited for more than a year and never heard anything except for that it's on "the list". Better get used to a.net without the RU functionality.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

kabq737

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm

zkeye wrote:
"you can follow your favourite users which is the same as respecting them"

No, it is not. With respected ratings, you can immediately tell if a user (even if you don't know them) has generated respect from other users. People with low respect ratings making big calls were able to be readily discounted.

I miss that function so much. It made this site way more credible and I feel that it also made the moderators lives easier. It is definitely a function that should've come back by now.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM

VirginFlyer

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:20 pm

kabq737 wrote:
I feel that it also made the moderators lives easier.

Specifically on this, I don't recall it having any impact on the work of moderators - when I served in the role we definitely didn't make decisions on whether posts were within or without the rules based on the respect rating, and while there were some people with high respect ratings who were always very mindful about what they posted, there were others who were rather obnoxious and the cause of a lot of work for the moderators.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Celebrating the Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh, 21-22 October 2017

kabq737

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

Specifically on this, I don't recall it having any impact on the work of moderators - when I served in the role we definitely didn't make decisions on whether posts were within or without the rules based on the respect rating, and while there were some people with high respect ratings who were always very mindful about what they posted, there were others who were rather obnoxious and the cause of a lot of work for the moderators.

V/F

I feel it could make it easier for the moderators because they could quickly see if a user had a history of causing problems with others on the site. I could very well be wrong that's just what I immediately thought of.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM

qf789

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 am

kabq737 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

V/F

I feel it could make it easier for the moderators because they could quickly see if a user had a history of causing problems with others on the site. I could very well be wrong that's just what I immediately thought of.

Personally the respected ratings would not impact on how we moderate. Virginflyer is right while some users would have high RR due to what they contribute to the site, there would also be some that are lets say "high maintenance users". Most of the moderators either are on the site daily or multiple times a week and you get a good knowledge of those who cause trouble quite quickly. I also make a habit of checking the mod logs at least a couple times of day to familiarise myself to what else has being going on when I haven't been online and if there are any problem threads I would actually read them. We can also search a particular user on the mod logs and that would show us the deletion history of that particular user. I would go as far as saying the RR is there more for the benefit of the users, particularly new users rather than the benefit of the moderators.
Forum Moderator

kabq737

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 pm

qf789 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Personally the respected ratings would not impact on how we moderate. Virginflyer is right while some users would have high RR due to what they contribute to the site, there would also be some that are lets say "high maintenance users". Most of the moderators either are on the site daily or multiple times a week and you get a good knowledge of those who cause trouble quite quickly. I also make a habit of checking the mod logs at least a couple times of day to familiarise myself to what else has being going on when I haven't been online and if there are any problem threads I would actually read them. We can also search a particular user on the mod logs and that would show us the deletion history of that particular user. I would go as far as saying the RR is there more for the benefit of the users, particularly new users rather than the benefit of the moderators.

Oh ok! I stand corrected.

atcsundevil

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:26 pm

kabq737 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

V/F

Just to echo qf789, Respect Ratings had little impact on our moderation. Respect Ratings tended to be little more than a popularity contest, in my opinion. We had a few users with high RRs, but also had lengthy disciplinary histories. Even now, some of our most active users have a number of blemishes on their records, but users rarely find out about those things. I would say that my moderation is almost entirely based on the situation regardless of the user involved; their history only comes into play when it comes to deciding on issuing a warning or ban (including length of the ban).

I understand the desire to bring back Respect Ratings, but I would rather the developers work on a number of other more important pieces of functionality first. The moderating crew are desperately after a few tools which have been on hold for quite some time, and users have been very vocal about bringing back the hover function for airport codes, paid memberships, etc. It's all about prioritization, and there are a number of very important things we need before bringing back Respect Ratings.