Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

What is up with the timestamps on posts?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 am

Obviously new to this forum, and this may be a well known issue.... but curious if anyone else has the problem. Posts will show "moments ago", even if posted hours ago. Then, it seems the forum will assign a random time to this post, such as recent posts I've made hours ago, yet they show up as "27 minutes ago".

Anyone know what this is about? :confused:

tommy1808

Re: What is up with the timestamps on posts?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 am

CaptnSnow71 wrote:
Obviously new to this forum, and this may be a well known issue.... but curious if anyone else has the problem. Posts will show "moments ago", even if posted hours ago. Then, it seems the forum will assign a random time to this post, such as recent posts I've made hours ago, yet they show up as "27 minutes ago".

Anyone know what this is about? :confused:

most likely you have the wrong time zone in your profile.

best regards
Thomas

BestWestern

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Everything for me is 'last year'

PlaneInsomniac

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Time stamps on the new a.net are usually unreliable, even when logged in with correct time zone. Problem has persisted for more than a year and will likely never be fixed.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:43 am

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
Time stamps on the new a.net are usually unreliable, even when logged in with correct time zone. Problem has persisted for more than a year and will likely never be fixed.

The setting in the profile fixes it and that makes it a lower priority. I have no issues with time stamps.
However, IMO the forum software should collect time format from system settings, regardless of if you are logged in or not.

ChrisKen

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:19 am

I disagree John, the problem remains after setting your 'solution'.

ChrisKen

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

Scrub that, though it's taken a few days since setting it to come right.

BestWestern

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

What setting?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:56 pm

BestWestern wrote:
What setting?

Timezone and format, here:
ucp.php?i=179

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:29 am

Sorry John, but no. Time stamps on the new a.net are broken beyond repair, even when logged in with correct time zone. Right now I was looking at a post I made two days ago, for which the forum says it is from yesterday night. This cannot possibly be explained by any "incorrect" time zone setting (although I am logged in with my correct time zone anyway).

Even if manually setting the time zone and staying logged in solved the problem - which it demonstrably does not - it is a very uncomfortable solution. I know of no other public forum that forces me to remain logged in on every device just to be able to read it properly. It is certainly (another) huge step back from the old a.net, where this simply worked out of the box.

It's just another broken functionality of the new a.net. We have understood that it will never be fixed. Please at least stop denying the problem and blaming the users.

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 am

To illustrate my point: being logged in with correct time zone, my own first post in this thread is shown right now - incorrectly - as "yesterday 11:56 pm". Your reply to that post is shown as "23 hours ago". It is now 09:30 am local time here. One is truly turning into a time traveller here on the new a.net.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am

PlaneInsomniac, what about the time format?
And I am not denying anything, or blaming users. I wrote that IMO the forum software should fetch the format data, didn't I?
This is not Anet core functionality, it's phpbb and we are looking into it. Just not high priority since there is a workaround that works.

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

JohnKrist wrote:
PlaneInsomniac, what about the time format?
And I am not denying anything, or blaming users. I wrote that IMO the forum software should fetch the format data, didn't I?
This is not Anet core functionality, it's phpbb and we are looking into it. Just not high priority since there is a workaround that works.

There is your denial right there. "there is a workaround that works" is demonstrably incorrect, and yet you keep repeating that phrase.

Consecutive posts are incorrectly displayed as having been made in non-consecutive chronological order, even when logged in with currect time zone setting. This is clearly not a matter of local "time format", but a massive bug in how posts are time stamped at the server side.

Frankly, the amount of denial one encounters here is staggering.

Users consistently have reported these bugs for over a year, but crew keeps coming back claiming that everything "works" if you just apply yourself.

There is evidently not only time travel on the new a.net, but people live in different dimensions.

If you said sorry for the bug, we are working on it, but no ETA, the discussion would be over. But even that's apparently too much to ask.

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am

Finally, one cannot help but remark the irony in that the far superior user experience of the old forum was scrapped due to an allegedly "unmaintainable" underlying forum software, and now we are starting to blame the new forum software phbb for the new faults that have appeared. Kind of makes you wonder what the common denominator is...

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am

Well, apparently it does not matter what I write, but I have no issues what so ever so the workaround works

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:00 am

Well, I have, so it doesn't.

ChrisKen

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

Tip, when you set the time zone, just use the dropdown list with the cities in it, pick your relevant one and hit save. Then leave well alone (even though it might still say the default zone afterwards, that's just the default listing of the box, not what you've set).
Might take a login/day or two to settle in. depending on your chosen browser & browser settings.

ChrisKen

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 am

It does work.

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Well, my time zone is set correctly, and I am getting this:

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:33 pm

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
Well, my time zone is set correctly, and I am getting this:

I get that, but did you set the format or just the time zone?

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Yes, I had set the time format correctly, and I just double checked again. Problem persists.

cledaybuck

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 pm

I set the time zone correctly, but all of the recent posts say last year. What am I doing wrong? (For example, in this thread the OP says two weeks ago, it changes to one week ago on post 4, and to last year on post 10.)

hOMSaR

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 am

There's a logic problem with how the software defines things like "yesterday." It's not a time zone setting problem. I may have even reported this in another thread a long time back where it probably got lost in the mix.

Basically, instead of seeing "yesterday" as stuff that happened the previous calendar day (i.e. midnight to midnight, whatever time zone...who cares), the software sees "yesterday" as anything that happened between 24 and 48 hours ago. So, something that happened at 7 am yesterday (normal person's definition of yesterday) could be listed as yesterday, but so could something that was posted 10 hours prior to that, which would be 9 pm two days ago.