Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Newbiepilot
Topic Author

Moderator Bias in Locking Threads

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Someone created a thread about seeing 8 A320neos for IndiGo grounded at DEL

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1368011

A moderator locked the thread and posted a link to a thread that does not discuss in any way IndiGo grounding A320neos

viewtopic.php?t=1358761

I agree that the route cause is related, but I would expect that a new thread that is not 3 months old may be appropriate since I would think IndiGo grounding a significant number of airplanes is news.

Why was the thread locked? What rules did it break?

SQ22

Re: Moderator Bias in Locking Threads

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:04 pm

May I ask you in case of such questions to write a mail to moderators@airliners.net and usually you can expect to get a reply much faster by the moderator who did lock it.

Virtual737

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 am

Why not answer here in the forum that was created for site discussion and so that everybody can see?

I've just seen a thread locked for no apparent reason, straight after a well thought out post from someone suggesting why the thread had merit. Bang locked. No comment as to why.

Interesting that the thread in question also had a loud mouth (singular) ranting about how much he dislikes the thread title. Is that how this site works? Shout loud enough and you'll get your way?

atcsundevil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:08 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Why not answer here in the forum that was created for site discussion and so that everybody can see?

I've just seen a thread locked for no apparent reason, straight after a well thought out post from someone suggesting why the thread had merit. Bang locked. No comment as to why.

Interesting that the thread in question also had a loud mouth (singular) ranting about how much he dislikes the thread title. Is that how this site works? Shout loud enough and you'll get your way?

Our actions sometimes relate specifically to individuals, so to protect the privacy of users, we only handle those issues in a private format. Most users appreciate us not discussing deletions, warnings, bans, etc. in a public way, and this sometimes includes locks or topic deletions.

We do typically try to post a reason for the thread being locked, but it depends on the Moderator. Threads are regularly locked without an "official cause" being posted if it's a double topic and someone else has posted a link. In that case, it's fairly self explanatory. I tend to try to merge like threads rather than locking one, but that's just my preference. Other times, threads may go off the rails and there will be a moderator warning to users; in that case, an additional post explaining why the thread is being locked isn't really necessary.

It is something we're trying to work on, because we do realize it can be frustrating. You can always email us with an enquiry.

✈️ atcsundevil