Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Request to moderators about locking of threads

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 am

I have a request for the moderators about the way they lock threads. Recently I have noticed that there are a lot of threads being locked for no explicit reason. I assume some are because they are doubles of other topics, some are because there was a flamewar which has been sanitised out of the thread, some because they are older threads that have been necroposted in, but it isn't always obvious, and in some cases it is frustrating not being able to post in a thread which seems to be perfectly legitimate. Could you please put a post in a locked thread explaining why it is being locked. This used to be standard procedure when I was serving as a moderator (even if it was obvious why a thread was being locked), and I think it helps the users understand the way the forum is being moderated. I note it is being done sometimes, but not always.

A related suggestion: a lot of threads are being locked because there is already an existing thread on the topic. I assume these are being locked rather than deleted because the user otherwise doesn't get notified, but these do clutter up the forum and search results. Would it be possible to delete the thread instead, and send a message to the user with a link to the existing topic. I know that increases the work a little bit, but at an average of maybe 3 such threads a day, hopefully it shouldn't be too onerous.

For reference, here are locked threads since the start of June in the Civil Aviation forum:

Threads locked without a moderator comment (26)

Threads locked with a moderator comment (21)

V/F

qf789

Re: Request to moderators about locking of threads

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:54 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
I have a request for the moderators about the way they lock threads. Recently I have noticed that there are a lot of threads being locked for no explicit reason. I assume some are because they are doubles of other topics, some are because there was a flamewar which has been sanitised out of the thread, some because they are older threads that have been necroposted in, but it isn't always obvious, and in some cases it is frustrating not being able to post in a thread which seems to be perfectly legitimate. Could you please put a post in a locked thread explaining why it is being locked. This used to be standard procedure when I was serving as a moderator (even if it was obvious why a thread was being locked), and I think it helps the users understand the way the forum is being moderated. I note it is being done sometimes, but not always.

A related suggestion: a lot of threads are being locked because there is already an existing thread on the topic. I assume these are being locked rather than deleted because the user otherwise doesn't get notified, but these do clutter up the forum and search results. Would it be possible to delete the thread instead, and send a message to the user with a link to the existing topic. I know that increases the work a little bit, but at an average of maybe 3 such threads a day, hopefully it shouldn't be too onerous.

Firstly if a user has commented on a thread that there is another thread open on the same topic and provided a link I don't see it necessary for one of us moderators to add a comment but instead just lock it. One thing I have found quite a bit lately is when double topics are reported the user reporting it does not always include a link to the other thread in the reported message and in some instances can be difficult to find particularly if the subject title is very different from the other.

I'm also against deleting the threads and messaging (emailing) the thread starter. Firstly it not only educates the thread starter but also other users who may be looking for the same topic. Secondly if we were to start deleting threads and emailing the thread starters about it we would be opening up a Pandora's box. If emails were sent to those who started a topic which had already been discussed in a different thread, we would then get requests from users for us to email them on post deletions, moved threads between the forums, merged threads etc. and what may start being a little bit extra will become a lot extra. We are still waiting on email notifications to be activated by admin, once this happens it will make life easier for everyone. The notifications for the emails have been sent to admin (I know this as I wrote them) so until this is activated it is frustrating for everyone.

I will take your suggestion to the other moderators to discuss the issues you have raised.