Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ObsessedWith747
Topic Author

Politics...

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:22 pm

There should be a seperate forum for politics only. All that is on the non-site related page is people whining about trump or politicians.

Braybuddy

Re: Politics...

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Like him or lump him, you have to admit that Donald Trump is box office! Never has US politics been so dramatic and fascinating. After the national newspers, e-mail and a.net, the first sites I check on in the morning are CNN and the NYT.

And I'm eagerly awaiting the Jeff Sessions testimony tonight . . . :spin:
Last edited by Braybuddy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OA412

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:42 pm

This is the Non-Aviation forum and politics has always been a part of it.

Dutchy

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:48 pm

OA412 wrote:
This is the Non-Aviation forum and politics has always been a part of it.

I actually agree with the treadstarter, I think with all the controversy about the Brexit, Trump, EU, it has taken over this forum. A separate forum is warranted.

petertenthije

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:57 pm

I fear it might be too late to banish politics to a sub-forum. A lot of people with little or no interest in politics have already left the non_av forum. There's only a few dozens really active posters left, and all but a few discussing almost exclusively politics.

OA412

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi all. I'm moving this to site-related as I think that's a more appropriate forum. I would also recommend sending an email to moderators@airliners.net. I don't have authority to make such a change, but it can certainly be discussed.

SoJo

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:31 pm

OA412 wrote:
Hi all. I'm moving this to site-related as I think that's a more appropriate forum. I would also recommend sending an email to moderators@airliners.net. I don't have authority to make such a change, but it can certainly be discussed.

Well OA412, I for one am astonished that so many threads about (mainly) American politics are allowed in non-av. There use to be a diversity of chat going on but, not anymore. Many of the posters in non-av have made this site pathetic. I feel sorry that A.Net has hit the buffers. Still, who am I to say. All the good times have gone from here. Really sad. This WAS one of my favourite sites to spend my time. Now, 10-15 minutes, ENOUGH!

OA412

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 pm

We cannot just delete threads unless they're in clear violation of a rule, and there's no rule saying there's a limit on American politics threads. It's what the users in non-av post and, for better or worse, we cannot control what is posted.

777Jet

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm

No need for a separate sub-forum for political threads which are indeed non-av anyway. Whilst there are a lot of political threads, it's very easy to just ignore them by not clicking them. Just scroll past. Don't click if you see "Donald Trump, President of the United States of America" or the like in the thread title. Whilst I quickly read such threads every morning just to get a guaranteed laugh, I mostly don't participate in them anymore. Just let the few dozen or so regulars, and the cry babies, in those threads hold hands, sing Kumbaya and agree with each other to keep them happy and to maintain the peace :D

atcsundevil

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:48 pm

SoJo wrote:
Well OA412, I for one am astonished that so many threads about (mainly) American politics are allowed in non-av. There use to be a diversity of chat going on but, not anymore. Many of the posters in non-av have made this site pathetic. I feel sorry that A.Net has hit the buffers. Still, who am I to say. All the good times have gone from here. Really sad. This WAS one of my favourite sites to spend my time. Now, 10-15 minutes, ENOUGH!

Non Av is the only place political topics are permitted to be discussed. It's the only way we can keep the other forums aviation based, or attempt to do so, at least. It wouldn't be appropriate for us to decide how many American politics threads are allowed in Non Av and what should be deleted. The discussion is permitted by the rules, and despite the claims of a few conspiracy theorists, we're not out to censor discussion or silence people. The only time we ever remove political comments is if they violate the rules, which includes political comments outside of Non Av. The rules are very clear on that, and the vast majority of users want the aviation related forums to be as politics-free as possible.

If Non Av has been dominated by political discussion lately, there isn't much we can do about it. It's what users choose or not choose to discuss. We generally don't regulate the discussion that goes on there because it's more of a general chat forum.

If enough users want to have a Politics Only Forum, then I'm sure it's indeed possible. It's not really something we as moderators can accomplish though. If there is demand from users, then the powers that be will take notice and make a decision. That's really the only advice I can offer, other than ignoring topics you aren't interested in. Until then, we won't be regulating what can and cannot be discussed in Non Av.

coolian2

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 pm

If you want a variety of topics, have you thought of posting something original?