Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wildblue
Topic Author

First Class Membership

Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 am

I can't find a topic in the Forum regarding First Class Membership so I'm starting a new topic. Apologies if I have missed it.

I have been a member for 12 years and most have them have been as a First Class member. I didn't mind paying for membership so I didn't have to look at advertisements and watermarks on the pictures.

Is there a plan to reinstate a membership so watermarks and advertisements are no longer visible to those of us who don't mind paying for a membership?

Thanks in advance.

dwightm

Re: First Class Membership

Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm

I have been trying to get a firm answer to this question for quite a while now. The only response so far have been multiple remarks that it's coming back, but it seems First Class Membership is always coming back, but never actually comes back. Maybe the reason is because Airliners.net doesn't have any competition offering paid membership equal to what the Airliners.net First Class Membership once offered. No competition, no incentive.

RoySFlying

Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 pm

There have been a couple of threads where this has been discussed. The aim appears to be to get the site running smoothly, eliminating various bugs and usability problems before introducing a paid membership. That seems to me to be a sensible approach as the last thing you want to do is charge people to use a site that doesn't function as it should.

The issue of watermarks is separate from advertising and is one that needs to be decided between photographers who display their images and the site owners. But the issue of advertising is simple to overcome. There are plenty of ad-blockers that can be downloaded, although I recognise that some people who are able to surf the web at work may not be able to install programs. Just Google adblock and you'll see that you can choose a suitable version for your operating system, some of which are free.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri May 26, 2017 7:12 am

RoySFlying is right, we will get a flood of refund requests if the site doesn't deliver. We had a lot of those on the old site as well.

And when it comes to watermarks, those are the photographers choice, and should remain, First Class or not. I as a photographer myself does not think it's right that my choice for omage protection can be over ridden by someone paying a small fee. If they want a photo without a watermark they can contact me and explain why.

jmattner

Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 pm

I wouldn't pay for only removing the ads, but only for removing the watermarks. This was no problem for photographers regarding the old site.

DDR

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:55 pm

jmattner wrote:
I wouldn't pay for only removing the ads, but only for removing the watermarks. This was no problem for photographers regarding the old site.

I agree. 99% of us just want the watermarks removed so we can use a pic for wallpaper. The watermark literally ruins a pic no matter how good the pic would have been.

ChrisKen

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:10 pm

DDR wrote:
jmattner wrote:
The watermark literally ruins a pic no matter how good the pic would have been.

That's kinda the point of it.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 am

DDR wrote:
jmattner wrote:

I agree. 99% of us just want the watermarks removed so we can use a pic for wallpaper. The watermark literally ruins a pic no matter how good the pic would have been.

Jmattner, we had lots of complains about stolen photos due to First Class members ripping photos off the site, so there was a problem. It's very irritating to find your image with the copyright bar removed on other sites, facebook, twitter and what not.

DDR, send an email to the photographer, you know a lot of them will send you a wallpaper sized image, maybe with their own smaller watermark in the corner like I do, or at a higher compression.

jmattner

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 am

True, that is a risk, if you upload non-watermarked pictures. Still, watermarks across the airplane ruin those pics.
If that is the only way to prevent misuse, I think, it is better not to upload them at all.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I am not fond of those blocking the entire aircraft either, and wish that was not an option, but some photographers want it. The discussion about it has come up several times, questioning why the image is so rigorously screened and then get ruined by a hard watermark across the fuselage.

jwadsworth

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:37 am

I have a suggestion and can it be done? Is there a way for you to make the the black bar that is on the bottom of the picture with the site and photographer's name not be edited from the picture?

jmattner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:34 am

No, i think you can always edit the Picture and crop it to your needs.
So it's easy to get rid of the copyright-bar.

airkas1

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:03 pm

jmattner wrote:
No, i think you can always edit the Picture and crop it to your needs.
So it's easy to get rid of the copyright-bar.

Except for the fact that that's image theft.

ChrisKen

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm

I believe he was answering the question in the previous post.
Even if you could come up with a secure file in the manner described, you just take a screenshot to bypass it anyway.

jmattner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 pm

That's right. I wasn't encouraging anyone to thieve images.
My point was, that anyone could do it, if no watermark is present.
So if you want to be 100% safe, that your image cannot be misused, you need a big watermark across the airplane.
But then, of course, the image is ruined. So, what to do? If you want to share your image, you'll have to take certain risk.
With a watermark across the image, why upload such a crippled picture? It is no pleasure to look at it.

airkas1

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Ah, like that. Alrighty then. I agree that a watermark over the subject doesn't look nice

jmattner

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 am

So there is no way that a first class membership will come back? I mean a real one with removed watermarks...

jmattner

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I have a question:
is it possible that the thumbnails carry the watermark too? Then I could avoid opening those pictures carrying a watermark.
Another question: is it possible not to offer big watermarks in the middle of the pic to photographers? Of course it may be possible that those photographers wouldn't upload some photos anymore. But is that a loss?