Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PeterEde
Topic Author

Scamming airliners for views

Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 am

Just wondering if anyone might have had thoughts that some are scamming this site? For what benefit?
Or is it just me being skeptical?
Recently (March) a photographer joined the site. Has posted 2 photos that combined have 50K views. 39K in 2 days.
Does this site need a robot detector?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Re: Scamming airliners for views

Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 am

PeterEde wrote:
Just wondering if anyone might have had thoughts that some are scamming this site? For what benefit?
Or is it just me being skeptical?
Recently (March) a photographer joined the site. Has posted 2 photos that combined have 50K views. 39K in 2 days.
Does this site need a robot detector?

Hi Peter
Could you please send me a link to the images in a PM and we'll have a look

airkas1

Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm

In this day and age of social media, it's relatively easy to gather a large amount of views if a photo is posted on popular fora etc. Many photographers do it and unfortunately it's not something that can be stopped. On the other hand, it's also exposure for the site.

PeterEde
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Exposure does not equal fair for those who do the right thing and not use such sites as Cheateo.
Photos should gain position on merit not by site manipulation

PeterEde
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 am

It's not exposure when it's a bot hitting a photo and it's unfair to worthy photos that a bot can steal a photographers glory. Sites as Cheateo make cheating simple.
Photos should gain position on merit not by site manipulation.
People take pride when a photo of theirs is recognized by their peers. It's why people post to this site. It's challenge enough to be accepted without being cheated out of recognition.

airkas1

Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 am

I'm not familiar with Cheateo. But what I do know is that we take measures against those who use bots etc. to gather hits. It's something the developers can track, as for example thousands of hits from 1 source within a few minutes is extremely unlikely. If you suspect someone is using bots to boost their hits, please let us know at headscreeners[at]airliners.net. Thanks!

foxxray

Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

I must say that this is a very nice AW139, but I don't understand why it gets almost 14000 views in two days while most pictures now struggle to reach 200 hits !

airkas1

Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks for example foxxray. I agree that this is a very odd number of hits for such a photo. I'll make sure we try to investigate this particular case.

scbriml

Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

airkas1 wrote:
In this day and age of social media, it's relatively easy to gather a large amount of views if a photo is posted on popular fora etc. Many photographers do it and unfortunately it's not something that can be stopped. On the other hand, it's also exposure for the site.

I fully agree that 'bots' being used to artificially inflate view counters should be acted on and aggressively stamped out. :yes:

However, I'm struggling to see why it's "unfortunate" or should be stopped for a photographer to promote their own photos on social media sites and receive many genuine hits.

airkas1

Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Steve,

Personally I agree with your entire post. But I also know of people who are against the whole plugging thing (even in legit ways), so that's why I tried to leave it a bit in the middle. Perhaps I should've made that more clear.

scbriml

Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Steve,

Personally I agree with your entire post. But I also know of people who are against the whole plugging thing (even in legit ways), so that's why I tried to leave it a bit in the middle. Perhaps I should've made that more clear.

OK, understood. No problem, Kas.

PeterEde
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 5:28 am

I have no problem with people promoting their photos or even others they find worthy on FB or Twitter.
The 2 images I noticed like the one above were in my opinion not worthy of such excitement. What peaked my interest was the photographer only had the 2 images and had only been a member since March2017. That in it self is not extraordinary but surely a photo with 39K hits in 2 days would gain more than 9 likes?
Also comments on both images were by the same 3 members and very similar. Just very odd.

I'm glad to see I am not the only one with concerns. I enjoy the challenge of getting images accepted and don't think it fair worthy images like Lukaz F-35 last week did not reach 1st place. Still that is just my opinion.

johnr

Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 am

There are many of us who agree with you PeterEde. The manipulation of the Top 5 has gotten ridiculous at the moment. Just the other day all 5 of the photos had been "selected" to be there which meant that some very deserving shots received very little exposure.

PeterEde
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

johnr wrote:
There are many of us who agree with you PeterEde. The manipulation of the Top 5 has gotten ridiculous at the moment. Just the other day all 5 of the photos had been "selected" to be there which meant that some very deserving shots received very little exposure.

The ATR for example?

johnr

Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 am

No, I wasn't thinking of the ATR shots. In my mind it was understandable having all of them in the Top 5 when you consider that it was a new type for that airline. I'm talking more of the run of the mill shots that continually get "selected" for the Top 5.

Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am

I think the point of Peter's Initial post was not a generaly criticzm of social media promotions, but to state shots of certain photographers that just got unrealistically high views.

I saw these shots as well and totally agree with Peter, that reaching 35.000 views for a non-newsworthy shot is just not realisitic, even by posting it on twitter, Facebook, reddit or whererever. And yes given that therer are similar comments under both of his shots and especially praising the second which is just a bad weather shot in my opinion makes it very suspicious.

johnr

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:06 am

There is a run of the mill photo of an MD11 that was uploaded about 90 minutes ago that has not been pushed on this sites Facebook page but has already received over 1500 views when all others uploaded at the same time have received 10-15. Am I missing something here?

dutchspotter1

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm

dutchspotter1

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 pm

glen

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 am

dutchspotter1 wrote:

One is a very unique aircraft, while the other one - as the text says - a new one to the fleet. That explains for me the number of views - in addition to those generated through your link...

dutchspotter1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 am

You're kidding, right... I see several photos of 9H-TQM with only around 300-400 views and exact photos like the PH-BVS but with another tail# with only a couple hundred views. I don't think every new EasyJet/Ryanair/Southwest gets this many views.