Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Problem with spam advert redirecting on mobile site

Sun May 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,

I can't tell if this has been brought up anywhere, but everytime I visit the mobile airliners site these days, I get redirected to some obscure "You have won an IPhone site". I won at least 25 Iphones that way.
Joking aside, this is extremly annoying.
I mean loyal photographers like me will continue to visit the site, but for average Joe such an experience will maybe lead him to not visit the site anylonger.

I would really appreciate it if you would work on it.

Thanks & best regards,

Julien
Last edited by qf789 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated t

Topic Author

Re: Mobile Site

Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 am

Is no one else affected / annoyed by this?

All the time I am longer than 1 Minute on the site I get redirect to some Iphone-spam (just happened again this morning). In other words I can't really use the mobile site anymore.

No response?

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Sat May 20, 2017 6:59 am

Hi Julien

I don't get this but as you are could you please send a screenshot to support[at]airliners[dot]net with the offending advertisement and I will ask for it to be removed. Sorry for the late reply,

Regards

Paul

spompert

Sat May 20, 2017 10:19 am

I don`t have this problem at all

Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 am

Just to prove that I am not talking any bullsh*t.

It happens to me whenever I visit the mobile site of airliners, and I tried it with my private and my work device, so it is surely not any virus on my mobile or so.

So everytime I access the mobile site after 30 seconds I get redirected to such sites

And usually that acitivates the Vibration alert of the mobile phone as well.
@Paul: Thanks for your response. I did sent the link, but these are several, similar Websites, but with different URL's.

VertScopeJeff

Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Just to prove that I am not talking any bullsh*t.

It happens to me whenever I visit the mobile site of airliners, and I tried it with my private and my work device, so it is surely not any virus on my mobile or so.

So everytime I access the mobile site after 30 seconds I get redirected to such sites

And usually that acitivates the Vibration alert of the mobile phone as well.
@Paul: Thanks for your response. I did sent the link, but these are several, similar Websites, but with different URL's.

Thanks,

If you guys see this anymore try to screen shot and post the URL so we can block them.

Jeff M

Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 am

Hi Jeff,

appreciate your effort!

Here is another site I got redirected to (from airliners mobile Version this morning):

URL: xuenann.win/home/valid

As youn can see it is basically the same site with another URL.

Regards,
Julien

VirginFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 am

This has just started happening to me now. Incredibly annoying.

V/F

Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for confirming, until now I had the Impression that I was the only-one affected, although it happened with my private smart phone as well as the Iphone I use at work.
And yes it is extremely annoying, and like I said before this makes people not want to visit the mobile site.

VirginFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Seriously this is incredibly frustrating. In the course of 15 minutes this morning it happened 6 times. Each time it brings a pop up with only one button to click, which diverts you to another site. Even more annoying, when you click back it takes you back to one page previous. Let's say I click on a thread from the forum index, then get this infuriating spam, then click back, I end up back at the forum index again, not the thing I had actually been wanting to read. But it does reset thread view, meaning that if I can successfully get in, it no longer takes me to the right place for where the first unread post is.

These adverts have to go - I honestly don't see much use in trying to use this website while they are here.

For reference here are the URLs I was directed to (I've removed my IP from these):

http://ww3.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wfd.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wgn.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wiv.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://w0-.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

V/F

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 am

A bit more info. The URLs I gave above are redirects - the initial offending URL which takes you to those URLs is consistent: d3r68oj92b.com (Sorry, i can't see if there's more text after the .com, it redirects too rapidly).

If you pick it up prior to the redirect and hit the stop button, then you don't get hijacked, but you have to be quite quick. When you do stop it like this, the square advert space where I assume this is being served from shows up as black with a white "wait wheel" (Sorry no idea of the technical term) spinning in it.

VertScopeJeff wrote:
If you guys see this anymore try to screen shot and post the URL so we can block them.

Jeff M

Jeff is this being looked at? I notice it's been a couple of weeks since it was initially brought to your attention. It's really a significant impediment to using the site. I know airliners.net is better than this; but if I didn't know and it were my first time coming to a site and it did this, it would pretty much put me off navigating to it in the future.

V/F

N14AZ

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:39 am

JKPhotos wrote:
Thanks for confirming, until now I had the Impression that I was the only-one affected, although it happened with my private smart phone as well as the Iphone I use at work.
And yes it is extremely annoying, and like I said before this makes people not want to visit the mobile site.

Have the same problem since several days

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:55 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
A bit more info. The URLs I gave above are redirects - the initial offending URL which takes you to those URLs is consistent: d3r68oj92b.com (Sorry, i can't see if there's more text after the .com, it redirects too rapidly).

If you pick it up prior to the redirect and hit the stop button, then you don't get hijacked, but you have to be quite quick. When you do stop it like this, the square advert space where I assume this is being served from shows up as black with a white "wait wheel" (Sorry no idea of the technical term) spinning in it.

VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

Jeff is this being looked at? I notice it's been a couple of weeks since it was initially brought to your attention. It's really a significant impediment to using the site. I know airliners.net is better than this; but if I didn't know and it were my first time coming to a site and it did this, it would pretty much put me off navigating to it in the future.

V/F

Further to this, here is the offending URL in full: https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l ... 28398&dev={{dev}}

V/F

VertScopeJeff

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks guys,

I will report the above links.

Hopefully, they should clear up shortly once blocked.

Jeff M

VertScopeJeff

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Keep reporting anything additional.

The team has made some updates yesterday that should start kicking in.

Jeff M

Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am

Again thanks for your effort, Jeff.

All I can say is that this morning I didn't have the problem anymore, I hope it stays like this.

VirginFlyer wrote:
It's really a significant impediment to using the site. I know airliners.net is better than this; but if I didn't know and it were my first time coming to a site and it did this, it would pretty much put me off navigating to it in the future.

V/F

That's a valid point. Being a photographer on this site for long years I am rather loyay and such things won't stop me from using this site (although this was really annoying). Other occassional visitors or even new ones will react differently that's for sure. With general views not really being on a high this is an important issue to me.

VirginFlyer

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Again thanks for your effort, Jeff.

All I can say is that this morning I didn't have the problem anymore, I hope it stays like this.

VirginFlyer wrote:
It's really a significant impediment to using the site. I know airliners.net is better than this; but if I didn't know and it were my first time coming to a site and it did this, it would pretty much put me off navigating to it in the future.

V/F

That's a valid point. Being a photographer on this site for long years I am rather loyay and such things won't stop me from using this site (although this was really annoying). Other occassional visitors or even new ones will react differently that's for sure. With general views not really being on a high this is an important issue to me.

I'm afraid I'm still getting the blasted things. It really is astounding that a rogue advertiser would hijack a website. If it were my website, I'd be on the phone screaming bloody murder at the advertising provider (assuming they were phonable) until it was resolved.

V/F

VirginFlyer

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:57 am

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Thanks guys,

Jeff M

42 hours on, this is still unresolved. This is very unfortunate. In the absence of any appreciable improvement, I would like to suggest that all advertising on this website be suspended until the offending one can be weeded out.

V/F

Re: Problem with spam advert redirecting on mobile site

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:29 pm

This advert is murder! I'm still getting the same one and it makes the site totally unusable.

You cannot click back in the browser when the popup is on screen and you can't close the popup. :(

Edit: you can browse with JavaScript turned off. That pretty much disables all adverts and redirects.

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 am

cpd wrote:
it makes the site totally unusable.

Exactly. The problem is not that it is an annoying advert; the problem is that it is preventing people from using this website. This needs to be dealt with.

24 May 2017 @ 07:54:
VertScopeJeff wrote:
Thanks,

Jeff M

9 June 2017 @ 04:27
VertScopeJeff wrote:
Thanks guys,

Jeff M

9 June 2017 @ 05:08
VertScopeJeff wrote:
Keep reporting anything additional.

The team has made some updates yesterday that should start kicking in.

Jeff M

This is clearly taking longer than expected to sort out. It is now 16:27 on 12 June and they are still coming. Please, turn off all the advertising (at least for the mobile site) until you have been able to resolve this with your advertising provider so that we don't continue to get this spam malware.

V/F

32andBelow

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 am

I keep getting redirected to Walmart gift cards. Totally rediculous.

VertScopeJeff

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Heya guys,

Just grab the link and post it here once you get them and I will continue to block them.

If you can grab a screen shot to geo-location also that will help.

I just submitted some more today so it should clear up.

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:20 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Heya guys,

Just grab the link and post it here once you get them and I will continue to block them.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the response. The offending link is still: https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l ... 28398&dev={{dev}}

Can you please confirm this is the one you have blocked?

Also, are you just blocking links, or can you complain to your advertising supplier and get them to stop supplying these malware adverts?

V/F

VertScopeJeff

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:30 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:
Heya guys,

Hi Jeff, thanks for the response. The offending link is still: https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l ... 28398&dev={{dev}}

Also, are you just blocking links, or can you complain to your advertising supplier and get them to stop supplying these malware adverts?

V/F

Reported and got confirmation on the ones above.

Should see a decrease in the next few hours and we have reached out to them also about these.

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:
Heya guys,

V/F

Reported and got confirmation on the ones above.

Should see a decrease in the next few hours and we have reached out to them also about these.

Jeff M

Thanks very much Jeff :)

V/F

Slcpilot

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 pm

For me the re-directs are making the site almost unusable. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Cheers?

SLCPilot

hOMSaR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 pm

I just had this start happening again in the past couple of days. This was a problem in the past, then went away. In fact, I created a thread about it the last time it was an issue: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1360077

wingman

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:13 am

Past two days of this Verizon iPhone contest bs have been brutal. WTF?

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

I'm happy to report that they finally seem to have stopped for me, at least for the last half hour or so. They were still coming thick and fast 8 hours ago, so I assume this is a recent turn of events.

V/F

VertScopeJeff

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:10 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

I'm happy to report that they finally seem to have stopped for me, at least for the last half hour or so. They were still coming thick and fast 8 hours ago, so I assume this is a recent turn of events.

V/F

Great news,

If any other Pop Up, (pun intended) post the links and I will get them blocked also.

Thanks for the followup.

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

V/F

Great news,

If any other Pop Up, (pun intended) post the links and I will get them blocked also.

Thanks for the followup.

Jeff M

I'm afraid I spoke too soon; they're coming thick and fast again. Still starting as an uncomanded navigation to:
https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l2YlG/?pub=rubicon&app=28398&dev={{dev}}
which then redirects to:
http://w9g.daily-sweeptakes.info/index.html?t=Ds-MSBfJGBCEJa7mjcaYJKiwtSPlbStbrQnq4yAIhoChktgotlkINThKUzgCK_F5oJeQd-TYk43eNQHs4IyYdFB61cg4Pnas66vQ4IG--kU%3D&d=nziphone&td=m.d3r68oj92b.com&pub=rubicon&app=28398&dev=%7B%7B%7Bdev%7D%7D%7D&os=ios&isp=Vodafone%20New%20Zealand&city=Auckland&brand=Apple&model=iPhone&pub=rubicon&region=AUK&country=NZ&browser=Safari&ip=[I've removed my IP]

Here are some screenshots:

One event:

Another event (only took one image here)

Another event:

Another event (finally caught the whole sequence here)

The offending advertising box (I hit stop when the d3r68oj92b URL came up, before the redirect started):

The daily-sweepstakes.info URL always has a different three character prefix, which always starts with w then has two more random alphanumeric characters. But like I say that's not the initial one that Airliners.net is redirecting me to. Maybe block them all anyway? Actually have any been blocked? It seems strange that if you've blocked them, they're still getting through.

Again, I strongly recommend that, until you can get this under control, you turn off the advertising on the mobile site. It may be a revenue hit for you in the short term, but the risk of serious damage to the Airliners.net brand by hosting malware which broth prevents the proper functioning of the site and misuses someone else's intellectual property (Apple is incredibly protective of their brand and A.net is supposed to be all about protecting intellectual property) is surely worth more than however much advertising revenue is lost in the short term.

V/F

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Still happening here too, same as above.

Your advertising provider should be paying huge penalties for the damage they are causing to your site. The advertisement above completely hijacks your site, stops people from navigating and cannot be easily dismissed.

You are forced to navigate with JavaScript disabled to prevent the redirects.

VertScopeJeff

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Reported above new links, sorry that it came back.

Working on trying to block the vendors/ad server

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:37 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Reported above new links, sorry that it came back.

Working on trying to block the vendors/ad server

Jeff M

Jeff, just to clarify, these are not new links, they are the same ones that I reported a week ago:

VirginFlyer wrote:
Seriously this is incredibly frustrating. In the course of 15 minutes this morning it happened 6 times. Each time it brings a pop up with only one button to click, which diverts you to another site. Even more annoying, when you click back it takes you back to one page previous. Let's say I click on a thread from the forum index, then get this infuriating spam, then click back, I end up back at the forum index again, not the thing I had actually been wanting to read. But it does reset thread view, meaning that if I can successfully get in, it no longer takes me to the right place for where the first unread post is.

These adverts have to go - I honestly don't see much use in trying to use this website while they are here.

For reference here are the URLs I was directed to (I've removed my IP from these):

http://ww3.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wfd.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wgn.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://wiv.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

http://w0-.daily-sweeptakes.info/index. ... Safari&ip=[removed]

V/F

VirginFlyer wrote:

VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

V/F

VirginFlyer wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

V/F

Further to this, here is the offending URL in full: https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l ... 28398&dev={{dev}}

V/F

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Thanks guys,

Jeff M

Jeff I understand it may be difficult to clear these out given it has now been a week since you reported those links, and they are still coming; in the interim until it can be fixed, will you consider turning off advertising on the mobile site please?

V/F

VertScopeJeff

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Gotcha V/F - unfortunately that is not an option at this point.

Did you get the same thing happening over the weekend?

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Gotcha V/F - unfortunately that is not an option at this point.

Did you get the same thing happening over the weekend?

Jeff M

It is still happening with infuriating frequency. It happened to me now as I tried to make this reply. There has to be a way to deal with this. I can understand it going on for a few days, maybe even a week, but this thread has been here for over a month now, and it has been nearly 11 days since you said you would block the links I reported. Those links continue to be served to me by Airliners.net, so I assume what was done to block them has not succeeded.

Can you please tell us how long you feel it should reasonably take for Airliners.net to take down malware advertisements which navigate people away from the site to something which has all the appearances of a scam using the name of a very large software and electronics company? If you can't resolve it in the time that you feel is reasonable to resolve it, will you then take the step of halting advertising on the mobile site until the issue can be resolved?

V/F

Luxair747SP

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Still happening every 15 min on then mobile site on iOS. This makes the site nearly unusable. Keeps going on for a month now.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 am

Still happens! This is INFURIATING.

Having to go and disable JavaScript in order to browse the mobile forum is extremely frustrating, but it is the only way to stop having your browser hijacked by these adverts.

VertScopeJeff

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 pm

To the above,

I just requested confirmation that all links above have been blocked, the only thing I can think of is the marketing contact missed these. Once I verify that I will start to escalate for other solutions.

The Sweepstakes one I have confirmation on the block, working on trying to replicate the others.

Some additional followups to help diagnose and esclate in advance:
- What geographical location are you in?
- What model phone?
- Also software, and browser?
- What party of the site is it happening, forums, main page, etc?

Sorry for the delay and I am testing on my iPhone right now also and reporting anything else.

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 am

Hi Jeff, thanks for the response. In answer to your questions:
VertScopeJeff wrote:
What geographical location are you in?

New Zealand

VertScopeJeff wrote:
What model phone?

iPhone 6S Plus

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Also software, and browser?

Latest version (iOS 10.3.2) and Safari

VertScopeJeff wrote:
What party of the site is it happening, forums, main page, etc?

Anywhere where there is advertising: front page, photo search results, photo pages, forum indexes, forum posts, posting windows, etc. It is happening approximately 80% of the time I open an airliners.net page (i.e. I generally expect it to happen every time, and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised when it doesn't)

I want to make sure you understand the nature of the problem, in case it hasn't been clearly explained in previous posts. It starts when you navigate to an Airliners.net page:Image

As the page loads, suddenly a new URL appears in the address bar:
https://m.d3r68oj92b.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l2YlG/?pub=rubicon&app=28398&dev={{dev}}

This URL redirects to another, then a system message comes up which locks Safari, and only has one option to click, so there is no way to get out of it:
http://w[two random characters].daily-sweeptakes.info/index.html?t=Ds-MSBfJGBCEJa7mjcaYJKiwtSPlbStbrQnq4yAIhoChktgotlkINThKUzgCK_F5oJeQd-TYk43eNQHs4IyYdFB61cg4Pnas66vQ4IG--kU%3D&d=nziphone&td=m.d3r68oj92b.com&pub=rubicon&app=28398&dev=%7B%7B%7Bdev%7D%7D%7D&os=ios&isp=Vodafone%20New%20Zealand&city=Auckland&brand=Apple&model=iPhone&pub=rubicon&region=AUK&country=NZ&browser=Safari&ip=[I've removed my IP]

You are then redirected to a scam website (with the same URL as above) which purports to be from Apple:Image

When you hit back, it takes you to the previous page. So for example, let's say I am on the forum index. I click on a thread, which begins to load, then I am suddenly hijacked and taken to this scam website. When I hit back, I am taken back to the forum index. So I actually don't get the chance to see the airliners.net link I clicked on. However because I am initially navigated there before being redirected, the cookies on the forum then mark it is read, meaning it can be very difficult to keep track of long threads when this happens.

Other than the turning off Java workaround mentioned above, the other one I have found is to hit stop on Safari when you notice the offending URL begin to load, but this makes browsing airliners.net very tedious, and if you don't notice it quickly you miss it and have to go through to whole nonsense.

V/F

BartSimpson

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 am

I get these, too, on a tablet (LG) and on my PC (Firefox and Windows 10). I will post a screenshot when they pop up next time.

VertScopeJeff

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for the additional info and explanation V/F

@BartSimpson - Grab the links if you can.

Jeff M

VertScopeJeff

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

I shared this info with the Ad specialist and he is going to try a few other things to help you guys out.

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

VertScopeJeff wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

I shared this info with the Ad specialist and he is going to try a few other things to help you guys out.

Jeff M

An update: it appears to have stopped on the forum index pages and threads but is still happening very frequently on the home page, photo search pages and photos.

V/F

VertScopeJeff

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:
VertScopeJeff wrote:

Jeff M

Jeff M

An update: it appears to have stopped on the forum index pages and threads but is still happening very frequently on the home page, photo search pages and photos.

V/F

Ok, going the right direction,

Thanks for the feedback, I will share and see if there are other things we can do.

Jeff M

VirginFlyer

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am

VertScopeJeff wrote:
Ok, going the right direction,

Thanks for the feedback, I will share and see if there are other things we can do.

Jeff M

Pleased to report I still seem to be free of this nuisance in the forums. Less pleased to report its still coming on the homepage and photo pages. It has a new initial URL now:

https://m.ilritj92ic.com/v/W75cqOwl1u0l2YlG/?pub=rubicon&app=28356&dev={{dev}}

It still links to the same w[two characters].daily-sweeptakes.info domain though (NB it is spelled sweeptakes rather thank sweepstakes)

V/F

DDR

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:42 pm

I started getting these same redirects last night and it's still happening today.

jojot

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello,
I have the exact recurring and very annoying problem on my iPad.
I called Apple who were unable to find a resolution, even though pop ups are blocked from the airliners.net website.
Please help, as I am unable to use this site on my iPad.
Kind regards,
J.
Last edited by jojot on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bombayduck

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Jeff
In the United Kingdom (London) Galaxy S7 operating system Android Nouget 7. I think this is what the latest is called, browser I use google. So far I have not had these annoying pop-ups. Do not know if this is of any use.

Steve