APP
Topic Author

Membership Levels

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi,
Haven't been on here in a while, used to have a 'First Class' membership which I let lapse, which did away with all the advertising. Come back on just now and the advertising is a total distraction, but I can't see an option to upgrade my membership to get rid of the ads again.
Cheers,
APP

LCKip

Membership Levels

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:52 am

APP wrote:
Hi,
Haven't been on here in a while, used to have a 'First Class' membership which I let lapse, which did away with all the advertising. Come back on just now and the advertising is a total distraction, but I can't see an option to upgrade my membership to get rid of the ads again.
Cheers,APP

There is no first class membership anymore. To get rid of ads you can try adblock plus. It's free, available for IE and Firefox, maybe more browsers. I'm using it for more thrn a year now and it's effective and easy to use.

APP
Topic Author

Re: Membership Levels

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

ah, ok.
Can't quite believe how the site has deteriorated in the time I haven't been on it (imo). Bring back Johan!!
APP

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Its true the quality has dropped over time. sadly.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AR385

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:30 am

As it was said Adblocker Plus works charms. In my opinioon the site has not deteriorated. But since it is free to join, a lot of people who have other interests in mind have joined.

ahj2000

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 pm

AR385 wrote:
As it was said Adblocker Plus works charms. In my opinioon the site has not deteriorated. But since it is free to join, a lot of people who have other interests in mind have joined.

I second (third?) ABP.
I used to just have a photographer act that I used to keep my spot in the forums that I couldn't write in. A while back I logged in after not visiting in a bit over a year and It let me post.Some of us like free A.net
-Andrés Juánez

HAWK21M

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

AR385 wrote:

I post 80% in Tech/Ops for obvious reasons since I work in this Industry & from Maintenance.
I've started using Anet when it was free in 2001, thereafter it became a paid membership.
Even then there were excellent posters on Technical topics that I learnt so much from.
That standard is not existing now.
Anyone can post, overtime the quality poster is recognized...but if the quality poster leave then that's the problem.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JohnKrist
Crew

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:44 pm

HAWK21M, you joined when it was free, would you have joined initially if is cost money? Maybe none of your 30.000 posts would have been made then. While I'm at it, congrats on those 30K posts too :)
Paid membership does not equal quality posts, and free accounts does not equal crap either.
Moderators are keeping everything at a civil level, and everyone is a newbie at some point, here, on a knitting forum or whatever. Questions will be asked and answered over and over again, and I personally do not see an issue with that.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

APP
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for the AdBlock Plus tip. That's much better!

c933103

Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
HAWK21M, you joined when it was free, would you have joined initially if is cost money? Maybe none of your 30.000 posts would have been made then. While I'm at it, congrats on those 30K posts too :)
Paid membership does not equal quality posts, and free accounts does not equal crap either.
Moderators are keeping everything at a civil level, and everyone is a newbie at some point, here, on a knitting forum or whatever. Questions will be asked and answered over and over again, and I personally do not see an issue with that.

I think the difference is not actually caused by needing to pay or not but instead how much efforts would be needed for member to get an account, so that would members treasure/value their account and thus think twice before making a post. I have seen some very good forums and most of them achieved that by limiting their intakes, some of them even make their membership system invite only and if invitees have done something bad then inviter would be punishable for those behaviors too. As such it would be very hard to get an account on those forum and most of those forum posts are of high quality, but I think that's not what would be suitable to yhis site as this site serve a wider audience then those I have mentioned. Perhaps this site can add some barriers to its users before they can register an account? For instance ask them to complete a plan spotter quiz and get a passing mark from it before allowing them to make posts in the forum.

jetblueguy22

Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 am

JohnKrist wrote:

The mods do a good job of keeping people in order, but there has been a quality drop since the site went free. Though there were trolls before, it appears to be a lot more common these days. With a paid membership it weeds out people who are just on to screw around.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club