AeroTyke
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Hello.

New member here. I've just been taking a look round the forums to get a feel for the place and attempt to configure my profile but as a new user I'm finding it an incredibly infuriating experience. I wonder if the site owners actually realise what it's like for new members?

Firstly it's taken over a month just to be able to sign-up due to the sign-up process not working and returning server errors.

Secondly, it appears that half of the stuff doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do. For example, when you first sign up you get to configure your basic profile to allow members to contact you, show your location, age etc and insert a link to your website if you have one. But has anyone actually tried to input a link to their website? It gives you an already completed "http://" (which apparently cannot be changed to https) but when you put your website address in the box and click save it says it's saved it but then promptly removes it from the box and returns it to being blank. I've tried it both with and without any prefix and it doesn't change the outcome.

Next, the total confusion with the site creating TWO profiles for you when you sign up, which is not immediately apparent. I came to the forum and clicked on my profile to upload an avatar pic as instructed in the FAQ in 'site related'. But there is no such option to upload anything in your profile. The only option you have is to edit your signature. You can configure your forum subscriptions, bookmarks, private messages etc, but if you want to change your contact email address or anything else "important" in your profile there is absolutely no way to do it. It was only after spending some time reading the topics that I found it buried way down another random topic that you actually have two profiles which are completely separate from each other and in order to change your details you have to exit the forums and go to the site home page where you'll find your second profile which is completely different to your forum profile in terms of the configuration settings! Pardon me for being blunt, but what kind of idiocy is this?! Why isn't there ONE profile that works across the whole site?

Additionally, when viewing my home page profile it shows a clickable link to go to my website, but when the link is clicked it simply opens a blank tab with nothing there. Also, despite having the setting enabled for other members to contact me, there is nothing on the page allowing that to happen.

I see from one of the other threads that the site has recently been taken over and under new management. I would like to invite the new owners to create a fresh user account and experience the process for themselves just to appreciate how confusing it is trying to change your settings, upload a pic etc. I spent a good 20-30 mins reading some of the older posts before I discovered the reason why I couldn't edit my profile was because I was trying to edit the "wrong" one, but let's be honest here, how many new members are going to bother doing that? Most will spend a few minutes trying and failing and then write off the site as a waste of time, never to return.

If any member can help me with managing to get my website address to actually save in the box and get my email contact button to show up, that would be much appreciated.

JohnKrist
Crew

Re: Feedback : first time user experience of new site

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Please send the webpage link in a pm and I'll try to add it, and I have set that airliners.net members can contact you. If you want anyone to be able to contact you, please let me know. Email contact is only available on accepted photos, not forum as far as I know.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

AeroTyke
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 pm

OK John thanks. I've since been informed that those options are blocked to new users until you have made a certain number of posts and then they unlock automatically - is this correct? If so then as there's no rush to add either I will just wait until I reach whatever the artibrary limit is. That would perhaps explain why I'm unable to do it myself.

VertScopeJeff
Crew

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Heya AeroTyke,

I will review your post and email.

Jeff M

PanAm_DC10
Crew

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 am

Hi there

Yes that is correct you need to make a certain number of posts which are approved by the moderators before you can post freely. Please refer to this thread for more details. Thank you.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1354005
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

AeroTyke
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 am

Okay gentlemen, thanks. PanAm I will look at adding them at a future date once I have a few more posts under my belt. May I make the suggestion that a note be added to the website box saying that the function is not available until 'n' period. It would help prevent confusion as to a new user it appears that the function is broken - same for the lack of contact button. Of course I realise that this is probably deliberate as an anti-spam measure but a pop-up similar to the one you get when trying to send a PM from your profile would serve to explain the situation to new users without needing to have a mini rant about it :wink2:

I see now that Jeff has his own account and has managed to set an avatar too. I'm interested to hear how intuitive you found the process, Jeff, or were you walked through it by another member? :wink2:

VertScopeJeff
Crew

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 am

AeroTyke wrote:
Okay gentlemen, thanks. PanAm I will look at adding them at a future date once I have a few more posts under my belt. May I make the suggestion that a note be added to the website box saying that the function is not available until 'n' period. It would help prevent confusion as to a new user it appears that the function is broken - same for the lack of contact button. Of course I realise that this is probably deliberate as an anti-spam measure but a pop-up similar to the one you get when trying to send a PM from your profile would serve to explain the situation to new users without needing to have a mini rant about it :wink2:

I see now that Jeff has his own account and has managed to set an avatar too. I'm interested to hear how intuitive you found the process, Jeff, or were you walked through it by another member? :wink2:

I set it up on my own pretty easily and I am mainly a vBulletin guy. However I live online.

Will ask around and review some other process as part of my getting to know the community.

Jeff M

AeroTyke
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:03 am

VertScopeJeff wrote:
AeroTyke wrote:

I set it up on my own pretty easily and I am mainly a vBulletin guy. However I live online.

Will ask around and review some other process as part of my getting to know the community.

Jeff M

OK, maybe I'm just too dim then :boggled: . I personally find the whole dual profile thing rather perplexing, unintuitive and unnecessarily complicated. I was browsing the early posts in the 'new site discussion' thread from when the new site was first rolled out and there are pages upon pages of similar posts from confused members so I'm certainly not alone.

AeroTyke
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:14 am

Hello guys, I'm still unable to add a website link in my main profile. The "http" part is not editable to https, but trying different combinations in the box and clicking save does nothing apart from refresh the screen. Could someone else try to add a website URL please.

Also are there any rules on signatures? I've not seen any restrictions so am I to assume it's okay to post my website url in my signature? Just wanted to check before incurring the wrath of the moderators.

JohnKrist
Crew

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am

AeroTyke wrote:
Hello guys, I'm still unable to add a website link in my main profile. The "http" part is not editable to https, but trying different combinations in the box and clicking save does nothing apart from refresh the screen. Could someone else try to add a website URL please.

Also are there any rules on signatures? I've not seen any restrictions so am I to assume it's okay to post my website url in my signature? Just wanted to check before incurring the wrath of the moderators.

Hi, sorry no website in signature. Only place you can add a website is in your profile info. PM me the url and I'll see if I can add it from the inside.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT