Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789

Re: Announcement: Airliners.net has been acquired by VerticalScope

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 am

kanban wrote:
two things I'd like to see
2. limit use of a title beginning with "Breaking" to the first 12 hours of posting.. and remove the word after that.

The easiest way to address this is to click on "report this post" and request for the title to be changed by a moderator

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:07 am

Kanban, have you tried changing the time format settings in your forum profile? It's not that we don't believe you as you put it, but I don't get Moments ago unless it actually was moments ago. It's hard to fix something that is not broken for everyone

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:15 pm

kanban wrote:
2. limit use of a title beginning with "Breaking" to the first 12 hours of posting.. and remove the word after that.

Ha ha! Yeah, I've been fooled in the past by months-old threads being bumped and thinking "an incident in that location / with that aircraft / airline again?!"...

I never understand the need for people to claim "breaking news" anyway... on BBC news I got so irritated with pop-up banners screaming headlines every five minutes on things I don't care about (and with no detail to back them up if I actually click them) that I added the pop-up script to my ad-blocker's ban list...

kanban

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:53 am

Ok found the ambiguous place to set time zones... not intuitive because the result is unclear..Further if you log off your choice goes away.. that's BS... I personally do not intend to log in every time I want to check for updates or new stories.. so in my mind the problem still needs to be fixed.

N5716b

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 am

One thing I really liked that seems to have disappeared (and may be mentioned elsewhere; apologies for laziness) was the ability to hover over APCs and airline codes (9W, AA, DL, etc) and get a tooltip type thing to appear with the expanded information (AA = American Airlines, SFO = San Francisco, etc).

Thanks!

KDTWflyer

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:56 am

I miss the old Airliners.net -- from the more user-friendly UI to the membership flags to the timestamps for posts. All of it. I wish we could get 2005-era Airliners.net back.

Oh I miss the days

User Flags / Timestamps

fortytwoeyes

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 am

Wow, seeing it again now really drives home how outdated it was.

scbriml

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm

fortytwoeyes wrote:
Wow, seeing it again now really drives home how outdated it was.

You forgot "clunky", "slow", "error-prone", "next to impossible to maintain".

How many times did an update cause unforeseen issues due to the 'spaghetti code' of the site? People forget how often the site was unavailable while the programmers tried to fix errors caused by updates or changes.

KDTWflyer wrote:
I miss the old Airliners.net -- from the more user-friendly UI to the membership flags to the timestamps for posts. All of it. I wish we could get 2005-era Airliners.net back.

It's gone. It ain't coming back. It really is time to move on.

thewizbizman

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:06 am

moderators wrote:

Onward and Upward!
Jeff M

Would just like to fully commend you, Jeff, for using Deltas slogan!

VertScopeJeff

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:39 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
moderators wrote:

Onward and Upward!
Jeff M

Would just like to fully commend you, Jeff, for using Deltas slogan!

LOL - my former director always used it at end of meetings and it caught on.

"Feel free to move about the country" is my fav,

Jeff M

rajrs

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:41 am

At least bring back that 747 in header from old website.

rajrs

TVNWZ

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:13 pm

I think many miss the old site because the new site is not perceived as an upgrade by many/most users. If the old owners would have done it right, I don't think many would be as melancholy.

scbriml

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

rajrs wrote:

rajrs

No!

It's not needed and takes up too much screen space.

sassiciai

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
rajrs wrote:

rajrs

No!

It's not needed and takes up too much screen space.

The 747 in the header is not needed - these A.Net "announcement" threads are doing that already

For how long can an "announcement" be and announcement? Is it the same as the answer to "How long is news news?"?

I for one would like these announcement to be withdrawn within a limited timespan, like 1 month. It starts to take up half the screen again, and is much less interesting than the old 747

pdx

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:14 am

Anyone know why airliners.net comes up as an UNSECURE website??

CH47A

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:31 am

I'll just post a quick hello and welcome to you, Jeff. I suppose I'm one of those types owner folks don't much care for, as I was a looker through the fence on the edge of the active here for a really long time before I decided to go through the gate and actually walk around the grounds. And I'm rather sure I haven't done too many posts. Anyway, us old folks get like that. How old, you might want to ask. I remember Ed Sullivan on a black and white. My ole' man was stationed at Homestead during the Cuban business. That was when I first understood what life was all about. Just about when everyone thought ours was soon over. The world has changed a lot since then.

Welcome to Airliners.Net, Jeff.

But don't forget one thing, sir. Choppers are much more fun. And I ain't referring to them ones with two wheels.

CH47A

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:46 am

Oh my goodness! I'd forgotten about that 747 up at the top of the landing page. I only just noticed that image up a bit while looking at some of the other posts. Yeah, it takes up a fair bit of room, but couldn't it be downsized a bit? Anyway, it seems that folks just keep trying to squeeze more and more and more out of these web pages and I don't get that, because I am an old fart that still remembers what my Trash80 looked like when I could get it to load anything. That 747 was pretty darn neat. How do you replace pretty darn neat in life? Why do you want to replace pretty darn neat? To make more room for what?

Oh well, ain't nobody gonna pay any attention to the ranting of an old man, right?

Still, that image of the older landing page just jumped right off the screen and right back into my memory of this site. Then I felt bad that I had forgotten that older style. That's the problem with this new human life of high speed living; we take to change too easily.

EDIT: Just looked and I should have realized what replaced the bird. That is a language way older than aviation.

RoySFlying

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 am

pdx wrote:

Because it doesn't use the https protocol. As a result none of the information sent between your browser and the website is encrypted by Transport Layer Security, or its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer. This means that neither the authenticity of the site nor the privacy and integrity of data exchanged is guaranteed.

coolian2

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Until such time as the signature issue is fixed (telling people to add line breaks or improving the software, either or) can the ads on the side be removed/reduced? It's making really good threads unreadable.

VirginFlyer

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Until such time as the signature issue is fixed (telling people to add line breaks or improving the software, either or) can the ads on the side be removed/reduced? It's making really good threads unreadable.

It's not an issue on the mobile site (and the insanely infuriating spam pop-ups seem not to be happening in the forums), so I tend to do most of my forum reading on the mobile site as a result.

One thing I do when I run into the long signature issue when I'm on my PC is to write a very friendly and polite post pointing out the issue to the user and asking if they can adjust their signature. Have had very positive responses to that.

V/F

litz

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:04 pm

RoySFlying wrote:
pdx wrote:

Because it doesn't use the https protocol. As a result none of the information sent between your browser and the website is encrypted by Transport Layer Security, or its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer. This means that neither the authenticity of the site nor the privacy and integrity of data exchanged is guaranteed.

you know ... I hadn't noticed that, but seriously - should be supporting https ... the browsers are now demanding it, and basically the whole rest of the internet is, too ...

RoySFlying

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:05 am

litz wrote:
.. the browsers are now demanding it, and basically the whole rest of the internet is, too ...

I suspect that it is also one of the reasons, if not the main one, that the site does not offer a paid subscription service. Which e-payment systems would approve of an unsecure site?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 am

RoySFlying wrote:
litz wrote:
.. the browsers are now demanding it, and basically the whole rest of the internet is, too ...

I suspect that it is also one of the reasons, if not the main one, that the site does not offer a paid subscription service. Which e-payment systems would approve of an unsecure site?

The site does not need to be secure, however the payment solution must be, and that is why sites use external debit sites like Paypal, Dibs etc.

RoySFlying

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 am

JohnKrist wrote:
The site does not need to be secure, however the payment solution must be, and that is why sites use external debit sites like Paypal, Dibs etc.

Given that the site owners have not indicated a desire for the site to be secure the following forum rule appears to be unreasonable:

You are responsible for the security of your password. Excuses for unauthorized posts such as "someone has discovered my password" or "I left my PC with it still logged on to a.net and someone used it" will not be accepted.

A user cannot be responsible for the security of a passwords transmitted over an insecure connection unless the user does not actually contribute to the discussions.

I don't understand why the issue has not been addressed. Surely the forum owners are not so poor that they can't afford a htpps certificate.

izbtmnhd

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 pm

PanAm_DC10 wrote:
RollerRB211 wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
Starting to get the "you won a free iPhone" takeover ads now requiring window closure. You guys need to be more careful who is serving your ads, as it can't be in your best financial interest of your company to spam customers with out redirects away from your sites.

Ditto

If you see this again could you please get a screenshot of the offending ad and send it to support@airliners.net so we can have it removed?

Thanks

Paul

This free iphone is still going strong on my mobile and directing me away from airliners. I don't get spam like this anywhere else when I search on my iphone.

VirginFlyer

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:57 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
PanAm_DC10 wrote:
RollerRB211 wrote:
Ditto

If you see this again could you please get a screenshot of the offending ad and send it to support@airliners.net so we can have it removed?

Thanks

Paul

This free iphone is still going strong on my mobile and directing me away from airliners. I don't get spam like this anywhere else when I search on my iphone.

There's an ongoing thread about this issue in the Site Related forum: Problem with spam advert redirecting on mobile site

V/F

skeky

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:53 pm

good job!!! the sites new layout has already working real well. the old site design used to bog down my browser a lot but now its very smooth.

gzm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 pm

An easy one: How do we reply in comments under photos? I can see no reply or comment "button". Thanks.

airkas1

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 pm

gzm wrote:
An easy one: How do we reply in comments under photos? I can see no reply or comment "button". Thanks.

If you scroll down on a photo page, you will see a comment field and a "post comment" button...

gzm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Please do me a favor: go to photo no #4496353 (Boeing 747-123 SF) where I managed to load four identical comments. Could you erase three of them? I tried using the cancel button, I tried to erase the text,to no avail. I am sorry. How is it done by the way?

airkas1

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I will ask support to delete the comments (but leave one of course).

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I will ask support to delete the comments (but leave one of course).

Done :)

WROORD

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 am

Why when you go to 'edit profile' there is no option to upload a picture?

qf789

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

WROORD wrote:
Why when you go to 'edit profile' there is no option to upload a picture?

It sounds like you were trying that through your forum profile.

You need to go to your main profile, to do so

Go to home page
Click on menu tab in top right hand corner
Menu will pop up on the left hand side, go to my account
Click on settings
Add your profile picture and save

twosevenright

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 am

I'd like to see the list of websites who had linked your photo on it back on again in the photo corner, I know most of the links were search engines but I found it quite interesting to see once in a while if anyone had linked your photo elsewhere.

dik909

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55 am

I have literally been waiting for months & months & months for the 'Follow' feature to be enabled so that I can follow certain photographers/uploaders.

Any idea when this bug will be fixed ??

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 pm

dik909 wrote:
I have literally been waiting for months & months & months for the 'Follow' feature to be enabled so that I can follow certain photographers/uploaders.

Any idea when this bug will be fixed ??

Click on the user name and choose Add friend

keumos

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:54 am

I am new here. But, want to add a suggestion here. I am notching that airliners.net and airliners.net/forum both slow. They take lots of time to load completely. If you want to improve UX then you should improve site loading speed.

anstar

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Do we still need a sticky to say that the site changed owners 7 months ago? Seems like that is no longer an announcement and is juts day to day business now.

kanban

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:03 pm

This thread that started out as an announcement thread with all the associated comments has morphed into a quasi site issue thread duplicating the existing site problem forum. Site problems need to be in one location only. suggest closing this thread to prevent further misuse.

lat41

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:53 pm

I was hoping the aircraft data section would be brought up to date. I enjoy referring to it and going over the different characteristics of various models but this section is several years, at least behind times.

BB072

Re: Annoucement: Airliners.net has been aquired by VerticalScope

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 am

moderators wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and info guys.

We can look into some additional skins or color combos once we get up to speed.

Jeff M

Very curious if this is indeed still on the "to do" list... Even if it's just a colour scheme...

Grisee08

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 am

bomber996 wrote:
Things I really miss about the old site and would like to see brought back:

Ability to quote multiple replies easily at the same time.
Scroll over function for airport codes and airlines.
Markers on replies you have already read when signed in. This was marked in yellow for new posts.
Country Flags.
Membership to post on the forum.

These in my opinion were functionality that made A.net so great that have been lost with the new format.

That being said, I am now a fan of the new forum being used. It is significantly faster and much easier for use on my phone. DO NOT get rid of the blue background. The experiment to the white background was painful. Personally, I do much of my searching on the forum at night before bed and I found myself tuning out of the site because it hurt my eyes.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer input! Welcome!

Peace :box:

EVERYTHING he said is the way I feel. I have been here since the Johan Lundgren days, and I am happy to see some refreshments, and some experiments in changing the format to make it easier to use, btw, Welcome Jeff!, However, I really miss the old format. For us older guys, we miss the older format, and the older site in general. I am still having to learn how to navigate this new site, so that is why I haven't been around much. I fear change. However, I am glad that you, Jeff, have a positive outlook on the support of this website, and don't want to dismantle it in pieces.

rangercarp

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm

bomber996 wrote:
Things I really miss about the old site and would like to see brought back: ....

Scroll over function for airport codes and airlines. .....

Still holding out hope this function will reappear.

hilram

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 pm

I second the motion!

LCKip

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:07 am

rangercarp wrote:
bomber996 wrote:
Things I really miss about the old site and would like to see brought back: ....Scroll over function for airport codes and airlines. .....

Me too! I know it's on the list for the developers no date available. See my interim solution in 'hover over airports annd airliner codes'.

WIederling

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm

keumos wrote:
I am new here. But, want to add a suggestion here. I am notching that airliners.net and airliners.net/forum both slow. They take lots of time to load completely. If you want to improve UX then you should improve site loading speed.

In recent days I see gateway timeouts. Loadbalancing/distribution seems to have some issues.
i.e. some topic is responsive while another forum or just a select topic times out.

qf789

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm

WIederling wrote:
keumos wrote:

In recent days I see gateway timeouts. Loadbalancing/distribution seems to have some issues.
i.e. some topic is responsive while another forum or just a select topic times out.

The issue has been reported to the developers, for those having issues please refer to the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1380771

Apprentice

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:10 am

Please, do not use so much post deletion. Imposible to post any question or complaint about a service by an airliner, or, more important, about adeviationfrom procedures.

This censorship make me feel that this is like a “soviet post”. Let people post their opinion, unless their is any discrimination or verbal attack.

On other side, be more estrict to give censor power. Please select only aviation professionals, for obvios reasson.

Rgds

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:48 am

LCKip wrote:
rangercarp wrote:
bomber996 wrote:
Things I really miss about the old site and would like to see brought back: ....Scroll over function for airport codes and airlines. .....

Me too! I know it's on the list for the developers no date available. See my interim solution in 'hover over airports annd airliner codes'.

Interestingly enough if one were to look back to old threads when this function was still available, you can still hover over the airports and airline codes & it still works.

So the codes can be implemented on the current forums. The question is, when will it be fully implemented?