User avatar
Revelation
Topic Author
Posts: 16649
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Pre-emptive thread locking?

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 pm

In viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1351075&p=19266249#p19266249 we read:

Thread went into a general discussion of seat with with the initial topic being now only a sidenote, hence thread will be locked.


Which is a generally true statement, but is that the right rationale?

The thread had become mostly a discussion on the comfort of various planes (width, pitch, IFE boxes, Y+, etc) but it was all a ramification of DL's decision to not take the 787 since many find the A330 and A350 to be more comfortable than the 787, and many including myself thing passengers will be making a bigger issue out of comfort levels in the future.

The idea that we should only focus on DL's dropping the 787 itself and not discuss if it is indicative of other trends in the industry seems too narrow minded to me.

I thought it was a pretty well behaved discussion. I felt I was learning from it. I imagine that more traffic for the site's ads were being generated.

I don't think the topic should have been locked.

I think there's a trend here recently to "pre-emptively" lock threads that may or may not eventually cause problems. Am I right about this?

Personally I'd rather see the site err on the side of less locking. The general idea should be to encourage rather than discourage discussions.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:05 pm

I have locked the thread because it went off topic, as I stated in my notice why I locked it. There was even a warning issued by another moderator to keep it on topic. Despite this discussion about seat withs was going on and there were only a few posts about the initial topic of the thread. I did not lock it pre-emptively.

If you think the topic of discussion seat withs is worth to be discussed you can always feel free to open a new thread covering the topic.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I can only speak for myself, but in case you have another opinion about locking a thread you can send me a PM in case I was the one who locked it and sent me your rationale why it should not have been locked and I will give it a thought. With the thread mentioned by you I am pretty sure about my decsion, but I have also unlocked a thread in the past, because I received a PM and a rationale. I am only human and sometimes after giving it a second thought I discover I would not do that again and change my mind.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Topic Author
Posts: 16649
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for your inputs.

I think it's fairly normal for threads to settle in on some aspect of the original topic and I think that should be tolerated as long as people are being civil about it.

New threads can be started but most of the time people don't make the effort and/or they don't take off.

I realize it's not always an easy call and I appreciate the efforts being made.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I fully agree with you, but only as long as there is just a certain amount of being off topic.

Otherwise we can expect to expect requests for deletion due to off-topic posts.

It is exactly as you said it is not always an easy call.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 pm

I have raised SQ22s trigger happy moderating style via the support email address before; unsurprisingly no response was ever received. A few months ago SQ22 spent an entire morning closing about 20-30 threads, only then to start fresh threads on the exact same subject with the only difference being the part number having increased by one digit. He was also called out in this forum over it but nothing was ever done. There are some people who let their powers go to their head and are wholly unsuitable for any kind of moderator role and there are several mods on here where that cap fits.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback, please have a look in the civil aviation forum and there are several threads which will be locked when they are approaching 250-300 posts. We had internal discussions about it how to proceed with that on the future before proceeding accordingly.

After we made this decission there were several threads locked and opened by me as you describe. For sure not 20-30.

Apologies if you have not received a response via support e-mail adress.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, please have a look in the civil aviation forum and there are several threads which will be locked when they are approaching 250-300 posts. We had internal discussions about it how to proceed with that on the future before proceeding accordingly.

After we made this decission there were several threads locked and opened by me as you describe. For sure not 20-30.

Apologies if you have not received a response via support e-mail adress.


There was a legitmate reason for doing that on the OLD forum due to its design, although in truth it was largely negated by the change that resulted in long threads only loading 25 posts at a time unless you clicked 'show more'. But there is absolutely no need to do it on a phpBB board because long topics are automatically split over several pages by nature of the board design. If you're suggesting that a head honcho has instructed the mods to continue to lock and restart threads that reach "250-300" posts then that is the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time and they clearly have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It serves no purpose whatsoever to do this on phpBB. The are no resource savings either server side or client side and all it achieves is confusion for the readers constantly having to search and bookmark new threads. It's very annoying and completely unnecessary.
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Here's the old thread on the matter : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1343665

I am curious to know who the "they" is that's mentioned in airkas1s quote. My interpretation is "they" are a very small minority of members who want a fresh thread every month just "because", without any valid reason. Why are the site owners pandering to this? Surely the answer to them should no - if they want a non-standard format for their discussions then perhaps they should consider looking elsewhere for a platform that better caters for their needs. Why should the vast majority of the membership have to suffer the mess and confusion that's created with new parts just to satisfy a vocal minority that dictates they have a fresh thread every month? Never heard anything like it and it's absolutely preposterous that it's allowed to happen. :roll:
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm

RobK wrote:
I am curious to know who the "they" is that's mentioned in airkas1s quote.

I can't find the E-mail anymore, but I'm pretty sure 'they' refers to the moderators.

Personally I agree it would be nice to have 1 thread on one topic, in stead of multiple parts. The forum can easily handle that. However, I can live with either decision and it's not my call to make. SQ22 already indicated that a discussion about subject preceeded the decision, which means there are valid reasons for doing it the way it's done. But perhaps if enough people speak up, it can be up for discussion again.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:56 pm

The only threads which I was referring to are the ones like Whats going on in Nashville et all. Decision was due to the fact that there are multiple topics being discussed in these threads they will be locked as described by me before. Some of these threads are only running for a month, but this is also requested by the users reading and posting in these threads.

Some threads will be kept on an annual basis like Airbus and Boeing orders or fleet upgrade lists.

All the others will no longer be locked like in the old forum, but there might be exceptions from the rule.

Yesterday I was trying to merge all C-Series Production threads into one, but I was not able to move all into one, I had to keep it in two threads instead if 12 like before I started merging threads. So there are some limitations, but I am not an expert on that matter.
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:13 pm

RobK wrote:
I have raised SQ22s trigger happy moderating style via the support email address before; unsurprisingly no response was ever received.

There you go again, and I called your bluff the last time, you have sent us exactly ZERO emails since I joined crew 5 and a half years ago. I keep ALL email received on support[a]airliners.net. You are obviously pissed at us for various reasons, but at least be honest
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
User avatar
RobK
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 am

JohnKrist wrote:
RobK wrote:
I have raised SQ22s trigger happy moderating style via the support email address before; unsurprisingly no response was ever received.

There you go again, and I called your bluff the last time, you have sent us exactly ZERO emails since I joined crew 5 and a half years ago. I keep ALL email received on support[a]airliners.net. You are obviously pissed at us for various reasons, but at least be honest


John, I object to being called a liar and this is the 2nd time you have done it to me personally and you have been called out on your false allegations by other members in numerous other threads with the same inflammatory responses. Are you calling ALL of us liars then, or could it perhaps be that your support email does not work as flawlessly as you like to believe? Or could it perhaps be that YOU are making up these stories to suit your own agenda given that you have a history of avoiding the topic being discussed/questioned, instead preferring to get into childish arguments with the membership? Considering you claim to be head support honcho you don't seem to do a right lot. I've had 10x more constructive answers from airkas1 and he isn't even part of the support team !

Furthermore, unless you have some psychic powers how are you able to determine that no email was sent when you have no idea what email address it was sent from, nor the time or date?

Now how about we get back to the topic at hand regarding the trigger happy thread locking and fresh threads being started every month for select number of "special" members rather than throwing false accusations around?
 
User avatar
JohnKrist
Head Support
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

RobK, this is a quote, written by you:
"You won't do as I gave up sending emails years ago".
Second, I searched for emails regarding sq22, and guess what: nothing, from no one. Only email that were not crew email was from him regarding an issue when he registered. So, I rest my case.
But, if you have sent emails I presume you can forward them with their original headers? We use gmail, and if gmail can't receive an email you always get an automated response that it was undeliverable for whatever reason.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:14 am

Revelation wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.

I think it's fairly normal for threads to settle in on some aspect of the original topic and I think that should be tolerated as long as people are being civil about it.

New threads can be started but most of the time people don't make the effort and/or they don't take off.

I realize it's not always an easy call and I appreciate the efforts being made.

It's a careful balance that we have to maintain, as I'm sure you understand. We get reports and complaints that sometimes have nothing to do with rule violations, but complaints on how the site should be run. In the end, they're philosophical differences; laissez-faire vs. strict interpretation. All of these things happen on the back end and out of sight from users, so it's difficult for users to see a complete picture on why we have to take the actions we do.

Because of this, and because of the complaints we get from users, sometimes we feel compelled to capitulate to a degree. Some users insist that we enforce the rules to the letter. It's a classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation we're often placed in. I don't want to ruin a good discussion, but if it's off-topic and someone complains that it's off-topic, then I can't reject the claim simply because I like the discussion.

My advice would be to piggyback off of narrow, focused topics with a new thread featuring a much broader theme. Like you said, it's hard to get them going sometimes, and that's a very legitimate deterrent to an extent, but that doesn't make it not worth trying. I'm even fine if you were to post the new topic link in the original thread..."off topic discussion, go here". It's hard for people to get upset if you're purposely diverting off-topic discussion away from those intending to keep it strictly on-topic.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 pm

SQ22 strikes aagain, a perfectly fine thread was locked by SQ22. The thread was only 6 pages long and there was absolutely no reason to loxkbit it. Undo and merge with the other NA threads.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1343667&start=250

Try to understand, we do not want multiple parts. We want one long thread, which is why the Nordic Aviation thread was ccreated to avoid having many smaller threads. And now YOU SQ22 are ruining it. :mad: :tapedshut: :mad:
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Pre-emptive thread locking?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:17 pm

We do lock threads like the one you are referring to when they are aproaching 300 posts with the exception of threads like thre Irish or Turkish one which will be renewed on a monthly Basis. This has been discussed between Head Forum Moderators and Moderators.

We are doing that with this Kind of threads because there are a lot of different Topics deing discussed compared to the other threads.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos