davescj
Topic Author

adding photos to a TR

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey - I know there is probably an easy answer. I"m trying to add photos to a TR. I am a MAC user, and most things I can drop in. Can photos be added that way? Or do I have to do something else? Sorry for the question, but I could not find a fast/easy answer.

Thanks!
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

KruegerFlaps

Re: adding photos to a TR

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:45 am

Hi!

At present there is no way to directly upload photos from your computer to display in Airliners.net trip reports. You'll need to upload your photos to a server - perhaps a photo host like Photobucket or similar - and then copy and paste the links to the photos into your trip report. Note that free accounts with photo hosts often come with limited bandwidth. Depending on who you choose, you may need to upgrade to a paid subscription that not only increases storage but, most importantly, provides unlimited bandwidth. Without unlimited bandwidth, viewers will only see a default image if your report proves popular and your allowance is exceeded.

With hosts like Photobucket, when linking to the photos you can choose whether just the image is displayed or whether a link back to the album is provided as well. The latter isn't necessary (and the presentation is cleaner without it) but it's up to you to choose.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

davescj
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:38 am

KruegerFlaps, TY for the reply. I appreciate it. I don't use phtobucket or anything like it. I will consider writing the TR, but not posting the photos. I don't have any interest in creating a social media account that I would not use for anything else.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

airkas1
Crew

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:48 am

I recommend dropbox. The photos do not leave your computer, but are in a special folder. You can then copy and paste the public link to the photos to put it on your trip report. No bandwith limits (just takes space on your computer) and no need to set up a separate account with just your photos.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

KruegerFlaps

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:17 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I recommend dropbox. The photos do not leave your computer, but are in a special folder. You can then copy and paste the public link to the photos to put it on your trip report. No bandwith limits (just takes space on your computer) and no need to set up a separate account with just your photos.

Actually the photos are stored in the cloud - i.e. on a remote server/ drive - otherwise there would be no means to share them unless you allowed people direct access to your computer and your computer was permanently switched on and connected to the internet.

And I believe that you do need to sign up for Dropbox, although you can use your Apple credentials, and when you sign up you can access the contents of your drop box even when away from your own devices by logging in through a web interface. 2GB storage is free but over that is US$9.99 a month, although you can get extra free storage by referring new users who sign up.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

airkas1
Crew

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:25 pm

KruegerFlaps wrote:
And I believe that you do need to sign up for Dropbox, although you can use your Apple credentials, and when you sign up you can access the contents of your drop box even when away from your own devices by logging in through a web interface. 2GB storage is free but over that is US$9.99 a month, although you can get extra free storage by referring new users who sign up.

You're absolutely right. My bad for not explaining it properly.
I find it easier to host files like that in stead of uploading them to a separate account. On my computer, I just drag//copy-paste the photos into the public folder and then wait for Dropbox to finish processing them. In any case, it gives the OP another option to choose from.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

VapourTrails

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:32 am

KruegerFlaps wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

Actually the photos are stored in the cloud - i.e. on a remote server/ drive - otherwise there would be no means to share them unless you allowed people direct access to your computer and your computer was permanently switched on and connected to the internet.

KF, I do value your technical expertise on here. :thumbsup:

I use Google photos, previously known as Picasa. It has worked well for me, was free and I haven't had any issues with bandwidth. https://www.google.com/photos/about/

It was a bit painstaking when choosing and evaluating the different sources I must admit. :relieved:

I don't use Dropbox for A.net because I wanted to keep my aviation photos separate from other life events.

=
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden

flightobserver

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm

hi guys , was trying to start up my own TR , looked into on how to upload my photo , tried dropbox and flickr , both doesnt seem to be doing anything good to me .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148687124 ... res/4z7C05

this is my flickr link , how to correctly paste that into my TR ( example please ) ?

thanks a bunch

JohnKrist
Crew

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:02 pm

On flicker, clich the share arrow and choose bbcode, image size and then copy everything from [ img ] to [ \img ] and paste that into your post
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT