Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hOMSaR
Topic Author

Photo page suggestion

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:51 pm

The photo details beneath the photos have way too much stuff.

Often, when I see a photo that's interesting, I want to read the caption to get a sense of what's going on in the photo. However, I have to scroll way down towards the bottom of the page to find it. Previously, there would be very basic info in a box (IIRC, it was registration and MSN, then airline / type, then photographer, then caption, or something along those lines) that was immediately below the photo. Now, you have to scroll way down to get any of that, and it's mixed in with the photo number, number of views, four different ways of identifying the aircraft (Manufacturer, version, and generic type and basic type -- and, what's the difference between "generic type" and "basic type" anyway? I haven't found a single photo where they're different), location (two different lines, one for specific airport, the other for country), the date the photo was taken, the date it was accepted, the category, and then, finally, the caption. The only thing that ranks lower than caption are the pixels (height and width...on different lines).

And each of these items gets its own row, which results in a ton of scrolling and wasted space.

I'd like to suggest having a more consolidated photo description window with key information, including caption, which can be expandable (for those that care about such things) into a more detailed information window.

XAM2175

Re: Photo page suggestion

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:35 am

I agree completely. In fact, I find the design of the photo view page so poor I can't be bothered looked at photos here any more.

I understand that all the fields being displayed are for the most part separate database fields but I question why not concatenate them and arrange them so the information is actually useful?

It is necesarily the case that the old photo info box was the best design, but it was compact and you could find the information you wanted very easily.

My suggestion for a new layout would be:
Photo ID: #0000000 (viewed 0 times)
Photographed by: Namey McNameface
Airline: Flying Airlines
Aircraft: Boeing 7N7-000ER, MSN: 0000, LN: 000, Reg: XX-XXX, Fleet No: XX [if possible, don't show the fleet no field if data isn't provided]
Photographed at: *Airport or other Location*, *Country*
Date: 08 September 2016
Caption:
Categories:
Aircraft Manufacturer:
Aircraft Generic Type:
Photo Info: 800 x 600 px, accepted 08 September 2016.

alex326

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 am

The list of the albums to which the photo was added to is also missing, although it was very useful.
Obviously the photo page and the albums are totally wrecked with the new design. The A.net crew must do something to fix the situation, as they promised a while ago.

Laza

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:27 am

Agreed. What's also missing is the possibility to open a large version of the photo from the search page/thumbnails list. Now you always get a tiny version as default.

Another problem is the photo corner, it lists everything with huge upscaled thumbnails, with the actual information (e.g. views, comments) hidden. It's just a terrible layout, could easily be fixed.

airkas1

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:20 am

This is a thread from 3 months ago. Since then, the photo details page have been overhauled.

Laza wrote:
Agreed. What's also missing is the possibility to open a large version of the photo from the search page/thumbnails list. Now you always get a tiny version as default.

This is incorrect. If you go to you MAIN profile, you will find the option to always have the photos open in the large size. This option has been there for a few months already.

Laza

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:24 pm

airkas1, I stand corrected, you're right..hadn't seen that option before. Thanks!