Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ricox
Topic Author

Number of views...

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:50 am

On August 15th I had this pic

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates ... 61/3917393

usually with this kind of pic I easily reach 1000 views, today I see a few more of 100???

Whats happen??

airkas1

Re: Number of views...

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:06 am

ricox wrote:
Whats happen??

119 people viewing your photo (instead of 1000) is what happened.

But if you're asking about the drop in views, I'm sure you can figure that out by yourself...

ricox
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Very sad....at this point I'm not sure that a.net could come back at Glorious time quickly...

ezola

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:12 am

Mr. La Sala, I used to be able to view your photos without watermarks because I was a 1st class member. I can not do that anymore. Since I like to save good photos to use with my photo screen saver I don't even bother to view ANY photos with a watermark. They make my computer look like a cheap billboard. I'm sure there are many who feel the same way as I do. Sorry.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:16 am

Ezola, how many times do I have to write that it will return? No need to go in to dozens of threads stating the same thing over and over

ezola

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:19 am

I think you just don't like seeing my picture ;-)

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 am

ezola wrote:
I think you just don't like seeing my picture ;-)

Haaha I do like it, really :)

ezola

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 am

ooops
Last edited by ezola on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlaneInsomniac

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:09 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Ezola, how many times do I have to write that it will return? No need to go in to dozens of threads stating the same thing over and over

Well, frankly, although the constant complaining certainly does not help, simply stating that "everything will be fixed" several months after this disaster of a "site upgrade" was forced upon its audience, including long time members of many years, is also not enough. This "much improved" a.net was apparently rushed out the door in a pre-alpha state without any community (or probably even internal) testing to speak of.

Scrolling through some pictures right now, it seems watermarks are applied randomly to some photos and are missing from some others. This does not make the team running this site look very good. It is hard to believe that this is so complex from a technical point of view that it takes months to fix this. Frankly, I am starting to wonder whether this old a.net code was actually "broken beyond repair", or whether the people running the site now were simply not smart enough to figure out how it works.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 pm

PlaneInsomniac wrote:
Scrolling through some pictures right now, it seems watermarks are applied randomly to some photos and are missing from some others. This does not make the team running this site look very good. It is hard to believe that this is so complex from a technical point of view that it takes months to fix this. Frankly, I am starting to wonder whether this old a.net code was actually "broken beyond repair", or whether the people running the site now were simply not smart enough to figure out how it works.

Excuse me? Watermarks are added by the photographer, or NOT. It's their choice, so no it's not random. If you were a photographer, or read the numerous topics about watermarks you would know this.
And I guess you are a software developer as you can evaluate the state of the old site, and come to the conclusion that our devs are not smart enough...

kulverstukas

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:17 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
And I guess you are a software developer as you can evaluate

You definitely don't need to be a professional cook to evaluate quality of the food. But yes sometimes I read a similar responses to some comments on restaurant quality on tripadvisor ;)

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 am

kulverstukas, the comment was about the code of the old site, which is something no one but devs have seen or have the possibility to evaluate, so it´s not quite the same. Tasting food equals the visual appearance IMO, and some find it delicious, and some find it disgusting, and everything inbetween.

kulverstukas

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 am

Ok, the I reword it - you don't need to be a government hired sanitary inspector to count cockroaches I your dishes ;) Yes, ovens in the kitchen was possible outdated and potatoes was not "properly" washed before preparation, may be freezer hiccups sometimes but if food is OK and nobody died of food poisoning what was the need in demolishing whole building to install new oven and freezer?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 am

kulverstukas, we care about our chefs, so we replaced the old unsafe appliances so that the meals can be served for another 15 years. So it needs to be "burnt in" before the familiar tastes are back, but we will get there.

kulverstukas

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:09 pm

Ok, it's up to you, your bosses and this place owners to make what you want. But can I advice them to hire professional designer to make this place looks less like poor chinese copy of McDonalds?

sunilgupta

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
kulverstukas, we care about our chefs, so we replaced the old unsafe appliances so that the meals can be served for another 15 years. So it needs to be "burnt in" before the familiar tastes are back, but we will get there.

Brilliant!

Although I have never seen the code for the old site myself, as a code developer myself I can understand what it must have been like. There comes a point in any software life-cycle when maintenance becomes overbearing and you stop updating it and move on.

For all of you who have no understanding of software design, engineering or technical processes; I would suggest you hang in there. Any new software or system requires time to mature. Progress is hard sometimes and change is even harder to deal with. I can only imagine what a monumental task it must have been to migrate the database from the old to the new site - something that was totally hidden from us viewers - kudos to the development team for all the work.

flymia

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:30 pm

What has happened is people do not visit the site anymore. I used to be on here for at least an hour a day. Now, I have been on here maybe 1-2 hours in the last MONTH.

Massive scare at LAX, 34 replies.

IST bombing, had maybe 100 replies in the first 24-48 hours.

Site traffic has dropped by massive numbers, and so will photo viewing of course.