Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1
Topic Author

HOW TO: Multi-quote within the same reply

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm

--> Click "+Reply".
--> Scroll down until you see the last reply before yours.
--> Click "Expand View" in the top right corner above the most recent reply.
--> Select the "quote" icon in the top right corner of each post.

Screenshots:

Revelation

Re: HOW TO: Multi-quote within the same reply

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:13 am

Very helpful again, thanks!

To me it's interesting how this is pretty useful, yet still not as useful as how a.net 1.0 did things.

With a.net 1.0 you consume the content, and as you moved from top to bottom (in an 'infinite' set of replys at least until it got so long after the mods decided 200-300 replies were enough) you just selected stuff and hit 'Quote Selected Text' and by the time you got to the end of the thread, all the stuff you were considering replying to was sitting there already in your reply buffer.

With a.net 2.0 you have to read it all top to bottom, then decide there was something back there worth replying to so you use +Reply to start a reply, then scroll back as far as your patience allows, selecting things you now want to reply to, then jump back to the top to your reply buffer.

You can really see then how far better a.net 1.0 and some other forums I also use online were/are. The whole goal is for users to be able to add content easily! Then add to this that both of these numbered each post so your quoted messages contained their source locations so users could jump back to the full source in its full context, and it's a huge step ahead of a.net 2.0, and it's not at all likely a site based on phpbb can jump that gap.

The only way you can support the notion that a.net 2.0 is better than 1.0 in this regard is if you think the ease of quoting led to a lot of low quality replies. Perhaps it has, perhaps it has not, but I'm not seeing many high quality posts on a.net 2.0 relative to 1.0.

victrola

Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:00 pm

All I want to be able to do is to quote selected text and put it into my response. It used to be so easy on the old site. I don't have a clue how to do this now.

scbriml

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:10 pm

victrola wrote:
All I want to be able to do is to quote selected text and put it into my response. It used to be so easy on the old site. I don't have a clue how to do this now.

You do it just as described by the thread starter. :?

PC12Fan

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:39 pm

scbriml wrote:
victrola wrote:

You do it just as described by the thread starter. :?

Going from a simple one step process to a complicated multi step one.

Great idea!

I'm with Victoria, bring back the old way. In this day in age, this is an asinine replacement process.

So it begs the question again - how does one go about posting multi quotes that HELPS the posting user? Cause this ain't it. Hell, I find it hard to even find the post I wanted to reply to.

scbriml

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:17 am

PC12Fan wrote:
Going from a simple one step process to a complicated multi step one.

Great idea!

I'm with Victoria, bring back the old way. In this day in age, this is an asinine replacement process.

So it begs the question again - how does one go about posting multi quotes that HELPS the posting user? Cause this ain't it. Hell, I find it hard to even find the post I wanted to reply to.

It really isn't that difficult, just different to how it used to be.

victrola wrote:

You have two choices

Quote a single reply:
Click the quote mark on the post you wish to quote. If you only want to quote one line from it, delete the rest of the post between the "quote" and "/quote" tags in the reply composition box.

Quote multiple posts:
Click the " POST REPLY" button at the bottom of the thread. Just below the reply composition box, you'll see the last post in the thread. Click the "EXPAND VIEW" button to see all the replies. Now you can highlight specific lines or sections of a post, then when you click the Quote button, only the highlighted part will be quoted (just like the old site). You can scroll through the thread quoting multiple replies. Just like I've done here.

It really isn't that difficult.

PC12Fan

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
It really isn't that difficult.

Oh, so you are agreeing that there is some difficulty! :twisted:

I'll try, but my biggest complaint is that A.net fixed something that wasn't broken. And everybody liked and was used to the old way.

Edit: OK, am I missing something? Trying to respond in the "BOEING: 747 production may end" thread. I did exactly as described. However, I do not see the earliest responses to the thread in the expanded view. Replies 10 through 15 for example. Is this a PICNIC issue? (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

Regards

airkas1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:14 pm

PC12Fan wrote:
I'll try, but my biggest complaint is that A.net fixed something that wasn't broken. And everybody liked and was used to the old way.

And that's the biggest mistake people have been making since the site migration. The old site WAS in fact broken. Backend, behind the scenes, one big soup of codes that became unworkable.

PC12Fan wrote:
Edit: OK, am I missing something? Trying to respond in the "BOEING: 747 production may end" thread. I did exactly as described. However, I do not see the earliest responses to the thread in the expanded view. Replies 10 through 15 for example. Is this a PICNIC issue? (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

Yep, only a number of recent replies show.

PC12Fan

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:47 pm

airkas1 wrote:
And that's the biggest mistake people have been making since the site migration. The old site WAS in fact broken. Backend, behind the scenes, one big soup of codes that became unworkable.

OK, I understand what you're saying.

airkas1 wrote:
Yep, only a number of recent replies show.

What if one wanted to reply to that quote in a multi-quote reply? Are we SOL?

airkas1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:53 pm

PC12Fan wrote:

What I do in such cases:
I quote the new post --> Delete the stuff that I don't want to reply to --> Ctrl A --> Ctrl X --> Click the "edit" button on my last post --> Ctrl V at thebottom of the post --> submit.

I realize it's not ideal, but it does the trick. I hope we can offer a better system in the future.

PC12Fan

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:16 pm

airkas1 wrote:
PC12Fan wrote:

What I do in such cases:
I quote the new post --> Delete the stuff that I don't want to reply to --> Ctrl A --> Ctrl X --> Click the "edit" button on my last post --> Ctrl V at thebottom of the post --> submit.

I realize it's not ideal, but it does the trick. I hope we can offer a better system in the future.

I'll definitely reference your post. I'm not very computer savvy so I'm afraid I'll need it. :lol: I'll be sure to practice a few times. Best of luck with the solution.

Maybe not the right place for this question, but is there anything in the works for the feature to "go back to where you left off" to come back when you sign into A.net? No big deal if not, just wondering.

Regards.

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:19 am

PC12Fan wrote:
is there anything in the works for the feature to "go back to where you left off" to come back when you sign into A.net? No big deal if not, just wondering.

It's on our list, so I certainly hope so.