FLY 8

Re: After site change, anyone else find themselves with no desire to go on anymore?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:27 am

me too. I don't come here at al anymore. Search function totally useless.
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: After site change, anyone else find themselves with no desire to go on anymore?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 am

FLY 8 wrote:
I don't come here at al anymore.

But.. You're here now?!

FLY 8 wrote:
Search function totally useless.

Try the Advanced Search...

Max Q

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:19 am

A.Net used to be a delight, very user friendly with subjects discussed in great detail with knowledgeable (and not so much) posters, sometimes it would get heated but it was nearly always INTERESTING, entertaining and informative.

It was a guilty pleasure for me I enjoyed very much, especially the interaction with some truly professional Pilots Flight Engineers,others in the business as well as just plain old enthusiasts of which I was before I became a Pilot and always will be.

Bur this 'update' has pretty much taken away all of that, the site is so user unfriendly, ads everywhere, far less clean and attractive and many of the most interesting posters have just gone, understandably.

I take a quick glance these days, but 90% of the attraction is gone, why they had to screw with a good thing is beyond me.

Great shame.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:41 am

Max Q wrote:
why they had to screw with a good thing is beyond me.

Great shame.

The old site was broken beyond repair, simple as that.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

johnr

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:54 am

You keep saying the old site was broken beyond repair but in what sense? My sole reason for coming here was to upload photos and look at photos from other photographers. I would read the photography forums but that was about it. I found it very easy to do. This new site is a complete disaster from a photography point of view. I find it very cumbersome to browse the photos so these days I hardly bother. Looking at the view statistics I don't think I'm alone. When you say it was broken do you mean it was more difficult for the screeners? If so I don't really have much sympathy for that argument because I believe this site should be user friendly from a customer pont of view. The site may work better now from a technical aspect but sadly I think it has been at the expense of the site as a whole.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:15 am

Max Q wrote:
Bur this 'update' has pretty much taken away all of that, the site is so user unfriendly, ads everywhere, far less clean and attractive and many of the most interesting posters have just gone

I actually find this one a lot 'cleaner' than the old site, especially when we will have the unified header back. It sucks that so many people jumped ship the first chance they got, especially after so many years. Says something about them as well in my opinion.

johnr wrote:
You keep saying the old site was broken beyond repair but in what sense?

The code (foundation of the entire website) was one big soup of lines and became unmanagable. Fixing one problem introduced the high risk of something else getting broken in the process. That's why a new site was needed.

johnr wrote:
I find it very cumbersome to browse the photos so these days I hardly bother.

Browsing photos, searching for photos, it all works fine for me. Yes, there are some hickups, but those will be sorted. If I can do it, so can everyone else. Often it's a lack of familiarity, which I can understand. We try to help people if they have questions, but if they don't ask, we can't know they need some pointers in the right direction. Not accusing you of this by the way, but it's a trend I've noticed (also in the E-mail the screeners have been receiving).

I'm not saying everything is perfect, I know it's not. But it isn't all that bad either, especially with what's still to come.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:56 pm

airkas1 wrote:
johnr wrote:
You keep saying the old site was broken beyond repair but in what sense?

The code (foundation of the entire website) was one big soup of lines and became unmanagable. Fixing one problem introduced the high risk of something else getting broken in the process. That's why a new site was needed.

Think of it as an aircraft where all wires are unique, and try to search for a bad wire, pretty easy at first. Airliners.net was built by 2 happy guys with some great programming skills. But, as with a lot of software you rarely have the time to go back and clean up code that was rough or badly implemeted, working, but bad. Then you come to a point where all those repairs basically means all wires are red, and you have a tremendous and time consuming task to fix the smallest error. So what do you do? Rip it all out and start from scratch. And while we are at it we fix the hulls skin in order to keep the bird in the air for years to come. So is it as pretty as the old 747? Maybe not, but at least it doesn't look like an Airtruk :P

5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:28 pm

But a reliable kia is no replacement for shelby cobra, a car enthusiast wants a different thing from a taxi firm. This is an enthusiasts website, DM appear to have treated it like a taxi firm.

Fred

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:39 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
But a reliable kia is no replacement for shelby cobra, a car enthusiast wants a different thing from a taxi firm. This is an enthusiasts website, DM appear to have treated it like a taxi firm.

Fred

You know, it could have been Uber...

kulverstukas

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:52 pm

JohnKrist wrote:

You know, it could have been Uber...

Do you mean strange drivers with suspended license, who hardly speak your language, doesn't know a city, drives almost falling apart cars with expired inspections?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Yup, and don't say the site is that bad now ;)

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:06 am

FLY 8 wrote:
me too. I don't come here at al anymore. Search function totally useless.

The search function was useless before.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Revelation

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:01 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
The search function was useless before.

Yes it was, but given that we've all (staff and users alike) just suffered through a major site upgrade that's gone badly wrong, one small hope would be that one small compensation would be getting very standard things such as a search function that works correctly would be small part of the appeal of doing the site upgrade, no?

Perhaps that was asking too much given the retina-scalding color scheme that was deployed that took a month or more to change?

airkas1 wrote:
I actually find this one a lot 'cleaner' than the old site, especially when we will have the unified header back.

I disagree. It's worse on the PC for sure. I thought the idea was to make the site more usable for mobile devices, but I've tried it on my phone and my tablet too and there's major usability issues there as well. In terms of the look and feel of the site, it would have been better to leave it looking/working the same way as the old site did, even on mobile devices.

airkas1 wrote:
It sucks that so many people jumped ship the first chance they got, especially after so many years. Says something about them as well in my opinion.

You're totally off base here, IMHO. The result of the site upgrade was a very user unfriendly site, it's not debatable. We were told that all kinds of people were doing beta testing before the new site was launched, but it's clear whatever input they had was either poor or was ignored. Expectations were high, delivery was low.

There are a lot of people who've put in a steady stream of money into this site via membership fees, and/or by providing content via photographs and/or posts, and/or by providing clicks. They have every reason to be royally pissed off about the site upgrade and every reason to find better things to do with their time than wait for month after month hoping things here improve!!!

I appreciate your FAQs and posts as well as John's help, but you are way off base here.

airkas1 wrote:

I agree with this, the old site absolutely needed replacing. But the new site should not have been launched in the state it was, or if there was no other choice, expectations should have been set appropriately. The result of not doing so is clear.

User speedbored released SOOOO many fixes for what was wrong with the site within a day or so. The current site isn't as good as the first pass with his fixes were. The fact that the site is in such a poor state at this point in time is almost impossible to understand.

The world moves on Internet time these days, which means every hour this site is in the current deplorable state is an hour or more lost that is next to impossible to regain. This site seems to want to move on steam engine time, not even piston engine time, never mind jet time or rocket time, whereas the Internet moves at the speed of light.

airkas1 wrote:
If I can do it, so can everyone else. Often it's a lack of familiarity, which I can understand. We try to help people if they have questions, but if they don't ask, we can't know they need some pointers in the right direction. Not accusing you of this by the way, but it's a trend I've noticed (also in the E-mail the screeners have been receiving).

The evidence is that, clearly, in large they can't be bothered to put in the time needed to learn new ways and have moved on and found other things to do with their time. Why is that so hard to internalize?

What this means to most of us in the software development community is that it's important to preserve the learned behaviors of our users, and only make incremental and clearly justified changes, instead of wholesale behavioral changes.

In my case I've put in the time to learn most of the things, but in general much of the current site is inferior to the old one (remember how nice "quote selected text" and quotes that have links to their origin were? Remember how nice it was to have all the new posts on one screen instead of having to scroll through page after page of uninteresting posts?) or improved in ways that don't really matter to me ("New, fresh look"? Peh!)

airkas1 wrote:
I'm not saying everything is perfect, I know it's not. But it isn't all that bad either, especially with what's still to come.

After waiting a month or so to change the eye-scalding white to something more reasonable, it's not very realistic to expect people to wait around for what is still to come, no? How realistic is it to expect them to come back?

As I said, a bunch of gradual changes (i.e. adapt [b]speedbored[\b] style incremental changes in terms of look and feel) would have probably kept a lot of the user base on board whilst they coped with all the major unavoidable changes and unintended breakages. The look and feel could have always been changed later, if that was an important issue.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:51 am

Revelation wrote:
You're totally off base here, IMHO. The result of the site upgrade was a very user unfriendly site, it's not debatable. We were told that all kinds of people were doing beta testing before the new site was launched, but it's clear whatever input they had was either poor or was ignored. Expectations were high, delivery was low. There are a lot of people who've put in a steady stream of money into this site via membership fees, and/or by providing content via photographs and/or posts, and/or by providing clicks. They have every reason to be royally pissed off about the site upgrade and every reason to find better things to do with their time than wait for month after month hoping things here improve!!!

Oh, I agree they have the right to be pissed off. But what I meant was the people who left the site the same night of the migration or in the few days after that. I would've thought we had a bit more credit than that, especially with people who were a member for years.

Revelation wrote:
I agree with this, the old site absolutely needed replacing. But the new site should not have been launched in the state it was, or if there was no other choice, expectations should have been set appropriately. The result of not doing so is clear. User speedbored released SOOOO many fixes for what was wrong with the site within a day or so. [...] The fact that the site is in such a poor state at this point in time is almost impossible to understand. The world moves on Internet time these days, which means every hour this site is in the current deplorable state is an hour or more lost that is next to impossible to regain. This site seems to want to move on steam engine time, not even piston engine time, never mind jet time or rocket time, whereas the Internet moves at the speed of light.

I agree on the above. We weren't able to lower standards, as we were caught by surprise a bit as well that the deadline was pursued, even though things weren't ready yet. I know the internet generally moves on fast, but was hoping for a bit more loyalty from the A.net crowd (perhaps against better judgement, I don't know). Again, I mean in the first week or so, I fully understand that after a month or longer, people start leaving.

Revelation wrote:
The evidence is that, clearly, in large they can't be bothered to put in the time needed to learn new ways and have moved on and found other things to do with their time. Why is that so hard to internalize? What this means to most of us in the software development community is that it's important to preserve the learned behaviors of our users, and only make incremental and clearly justified changes, instead of wholesale behavioral changes. In my case I've put in the time to learn most of the things, but in general much of the current site is inferior to the old one (remember how nice "quote selected text" and quotes that have links to their origin were? Remember how nice it was to have all the new posts on one screen instead of having to scroll through page after page of uninteresting posts?) or improved in ways that don't really matter to me ("New, fresh look"? Peh!)

I understand that some people can't be bothered, but I guess I was hoping it would be different.

Revelation wrote:
After waiting a month or so to change the eye-scalding white to something more reasonable, it's not very realistic to expect people to wait around for what is still to come, no? How realistic is it to expect them to come back?

As I said, a bunch of gradual changes (i.e. adapt speedbored style incremental changes in terms of look and feel) would have probably kept a lot of the user base on board whilst they coped with all the major unavoidable changes and unintended breakages. The look and feel could have always been changed later, if that was an important issue.

Yeah, that would've been better. But it didn't happen unfortunately.

Revelation

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm

airkas1 wrote:

Thanks for your constructive reply. I really do hope the site improves with time.

jfkgig

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm afraid I have to join the list of people still not enjoying the new site. I had thought that I would get used to it over time, but that has just not happened. I was on the site constantly before, but now I'm rarely here, and even more rarely post. There was something about the old site that encouraged one to participate, and I'm afraid that unique aspect of the site has been lost. I would certainly welcome a switch back.

richard says

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:22 am

I for one would like to thank you guys and girls who have stuck by the site,and are still uploading photos.Its been a hard long road,but the site is getting better.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 pm

richard says wrote:
I for one would like to thank you guys and girls who have stuck by the site,and are still uploading photos.Its been a hard long road,but the site is getting better.

Thank you, means a lot

maggo309

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:13 pm

3 month after sitechange and no real desire i have some questions for the future.

1.) Is it planned to install the Photo Corner with the important features to photographers of the old site, like your own photo statistics, choice of best shots under your pictures, internet links to your photos etc. It would be definitely a nice thing to all photographers i guess.
2.) Where is the upload/screening queue? It was told to us, it will be installed. Nothing happened up to now or did i miss sth?
3.) Where are the albums containing your pictures. Formerly under the middle/large versions of the picture?
4.) Do you change these huge picture details under the large versions please? They are a scrolling disaster and much bigger then the picture itself. Its simply unreadable and definitily one of the most annoying things that makes the homepage worse and a headache. Believe me, a lot of people would appreciate it. Quick infos where the big strength of the pld page.
5.) Why is there no quick search function on the main page? It would reduce all the annoying clicks.

Thanks

airkas1
Head Screener

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 pm

maggo309 wrote:
1.) Is it planned to install the Photo Corner with the important features to photographers of the old site, like your own photo statistics, choice of best shots under your pictures, internet links to your photos etc. It would be definitely a nice thing to all photographers i guess.
2.) Where is the upload/screening queue? It was told to us, it will be installed. Nothing happened up to now or did i miss sth?
3.) Where are the albums containing your pictures. Formerly under the middle/large versions of the picture?
4.) Do you change these huge picture details under the large versions please? They are a scrolling disaster and much bigger then the picture itself. Its simply unreadable and definitily one of the most annoying things that makes the homepage worse and a headache. Believe me, a lot of people would appreciate it. Quick infos where the big strength of the pld page.
5.) Why is there no quick search function on the main page? It would reduce all the annoying clicks.

1) I'm not sure it has been mentioned yet in our talks with the developers, but I will get onto this and let them know that we would like to have it back.
2)
This is currently in the works. the developers have provided a raw format of the info, which the screeners have given feedback on. They're working on the stats this week, but I don't know if it will go live this week as well. I'm hoping either this week or next. This is the status of the upload queue. I will ask if we can incorporate the acceptance ratio (+other) info on the upload page, like we had on the old site.

3) http://www.airliners.net/user/maggo309/profile/albums. Please keep in mind that the whole photo album scene is still due to undergo an update regarding layout and functionality.
4) This is on the to-do list. We will hide certain fields and rearrange the order. I've marked this as one of the higher priorites this afternoon.
5) There is. In the upper left corner there's a search box. I'm aware the colors make it hard to read, but that's also in the works.

slider

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

I've been on maybe a handful of times since the "upgrade" and really am not missing anything. I've learned to deal without the site, frankly, but I vote with my feet.

I've got plenty of better things to do.

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 pm

richard says wrote:

I agree, on the whole.

I must say, compiling a trip report is easier on the new site. That I can be thankful for.
:eyebrow:

gokmengs

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks OP for the thread, I despise the new site and I log on much less than I used to-by a lot- I'm sure there are helpful upgrades on this version, but why not identify them and incorporate it into the old site. I would actually pay a monthly for a mirror site that shows new content in old design. One of the messiest site redesigns in web history really.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

lufthansi

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 am

I recently was lucky to get "a lot of" shots uploaded and through the screening. Nevertheless there are nearly no views to the photos anymore. That doesn't affect my photos only but all photos on the site.

For example the wonderful image of Aleksi Hamaleinen that got the PCA yesterday had less than 1000 views before it was shown in the PCA section. Meanwhile it got +6000 views. But that's nothing if you remember how many people watched the photos 10 years ago. There wasn't a "photo of the day" with only 1000 views back then. And if I look at the following statistic it explains a lot:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/airliners.net

I found people who left a.net on Instagram. And even though Instagram is a random photo page not specializing in aviation photography those photographers earn a lot more views on there.

Very sad to see.

People pull off their entire photo collection from a.net. Where are the images of Ron Stella and Wilco737 for example. All gone. They were just two of the very successful photographers. What a big loss!
Life starts at take-off!

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:25 pm

lufthansi wrote:
People pull off their entire photo collection from a.net. Where are the images of Ron Stella and Wilco737 for example. All gone. They were just two of the very successful photographers. What a big loss!

Ron's photos are still here (http://www.airliners.net/search?user=96 ... lay=detail) and if I remember correctly Wilco737 pulled his photos for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the site migration. You can find him on Flickr now.

So please don't post false assumptions.

flipdewaf

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Revelation wrote:
What this means to most of us in the software development community is that it's important to preserve the learned behaviors of our users, and only make incremental and clearly justified changes, instead of wholesale behavioral changes.
This is soo true
Imagine if a car company came out and said, Look we have a new way of laying out the pedals and instead of a steering wheel you have a twisting action on a joystick. No matter how many shiny bits you put on the radio it would still be bollocks.
Revelation wrote:
In my case I've put in the time to learn most of the things, but in general much of the current site is inferior to the old one (remember how nice "quote selected text" and quotes that have links to their origin were? Remember how nice it was to have all the new posts on one screen instead of having to scroll through page after page of uninteresting posts?) or improved in ways that don't really matter to me ("New, fresh look"? Peh!)
It seems as if they have to put more effort in to developing than ticking a box on the user controls for the forum software. Quote selected text was an awesome feature. As f\r as I can tell demand media developers are actually incapable of doing their job properly. If i didn't think Id get banned for saying it I'd call them a bunch of lazy w*nkers, either that or they aren't worthy of the title "developer". They don't read the site anyway so it doesn't matter what you say about them.

Fred

Revelation

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:35 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
It seems as if they have to put more effort in to developing than ticking a box on the user controls for the forum software. Quote selected text was an awesome feature.

Over the last few months of using the changed forum, I think I have a fairly balanced point of view.

On the positive side, bringing up a new site itself is a challenge, and the fact that they migrated all the old forum content largely in-tact is a pretty remarkable. Most migrations wouldn't bother with that. The alternative apparently would be shutting down the site, so we should be thankful that we have the new site.

On the negative side, it is still inexcusable that they rolled out the site with its unreadable eyeball-searing white background and space-wasting layout. It seems they did no usability studies or if they did they just ignored the results. The fact that it took weeks to do simple tweaks to restore the old color scheme was inexcusable. That mistake chased away a lot of valuable forum members.

Personally I've given up on getting back much if any of the old site. It is what it is, we either have to adapt to it or do something else with our time. I've chosen the former and am glad that many also have, but unfortunately many valuable forum members have chosen the later.

The old site clearly was a labor of love by Johan and its likely that we're not going to get back to that level of functionality unless management decides to dedicate the resources and they engage talented and motivated developers. At this point, the wish lists seem destined to remain just wish lists. I wish they had chosen a better forum framework ( one of the forums I use uses https://xenforo.com/ and it's far better than phbBB IMHO ) but that usually costs money. I don't blame the developers, they are just working on whatever management deems they should work on.

In retrospect, Johan's site was way ahead of its time. The quote feature worked better than the ones I find on modern forums such as XenForo and the fact it could do customizations such as automatic hover-over text also is something I haven't seen elsewhere. Unfortunately like a lot of cool tech, it's destined to the dustbins of history. Let me tell you about the DEC-10 some day! :-)

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 am

Fred, are you asking for a ban since you actualy do call them w*nkers? Pretty childish.
Yes, there were mistakes being made in the initial release. Major one was underestimating how conservative we are, and trying to introduce a look no one of us could identify with. Yes, the old forum had a lot of fantastic functions that just can't be found in store bought software, it was specialized for the very purpose, which also meant it couldn't be sold to other parties. Do I miss it? Yes, but I don't miss the constant crashes.
And regarding visits, it was sliding downhill way before the updated site came about, and a lot of it due to the old dated layout many complained about. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't. The slide seems to have slowed down and levelled, looking at Alexa. I just hope that we can get back to our former glory and regain some spots in the rankings.

flipdewaf

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:57 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Fred, are you asking for a ban since you actualy do call them w*nkers? Pretty childish.
agreed, not winkers, just apparently lazy or useless.

JohnKrist wrote:
Yes, there were mistakes being made in the initial release. Major one was underestimating how conservative we are, and trying to introduce a look no one of us could identify with.
All they had to do was communicate with stakeholdersx, project management 101.
JohnKrist wrote:
Yes, the old forum had a lot of fantastic functions that just can't be found in store bought software, it was specialized for the very purpose, which also meant it couldn't be sold to other parties.
if the software cannot be baught then create it, isn't that what developers are there for, developing?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:22 am

flipdewaf wrote:
All they had to do was communicate with stakeholdersx, project management 101.

We did listen to the stake holders complaints about the dated design, changed it to something modern. And we listened again and are still listening, and changing accordingly. As I wrote, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

flipdewaf wrote:
if the software cannot be baught then create it, isn't that what developers are there for, developing?

If the man hours needed exceeds calculated ROI, than it won't happen, business basics 101

lufthansi

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:35 pm

airkas1 wrote:
lufthansi wrote:

Ron's photos are still here (http://www.airliners.net/search?user=96 ... lay=detail) and if I remember correctly Wilco737 pulled his photos for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the site migration. You can find him on Flickr now.

So please don't post false assumptions.

Thanks for bringing up the great shots of Ron. I used the search function with different terms (full name, last name, etc.) and it didn't work. Now it does. Maybe a bug maybe not.

What I wanted to express is that visitor numbers still go down. I feel very sorry for that as a.net FINALLY renewed the homepage. The launch wasn't too good but that's not the point here as it gets improvements all over again and again. It seems that the only way to get some views nowadays is a link on facebook. I recently got "lucky" with a shot of mine that went up to +3.000 views even though it never was at the top 5 section.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-P ... CD/4042481

And that was just because it was shown on facebook by airliners.net moderators.

This isn' meat to blame anybody. I just want to express my disappointment that after all the effort that was put into the photos (traveling, expensive gear, editing, rejections, re-edits, etc.) and the site improvement literally "nobody" views the pictures anymore.

Maybe it's not even a.net but aviation in general that has become so average in our daily live that people don' care anymore. It's the same on other aviation picture homepages.
Life starts at take-off!

airkas1
Head Screener

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Ah, no worries then. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

Yes, views are still down. Even though our views have taken a significant drop, I do see an incline again on several other fronts. Even though I mostly read (not really participate) in the forum, I do get the impression that it's become more alive in recent weeks/months. Same for photo uploads, which have seen a nice increase recently. From 500-600 on average right after the site migration, we're now well above 800 on average and even had a day with 1000+ uploaded photos this past week. So since that has been slowly rising, why can't the same thing happen with photo views? I have faith that it can be achieved.

It will be tough, with people finding more and more other places to host their photos as well. But all sites like A.net have that problem. I've had a look around on some of the other sites that cater to photos AND forum and I think we're still doing pretty well in comparison.

lufthansi

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:21 pm

That's great to hear. Thanks for these insider info! All the best to a.net and it's hard working photographers and crew. The site deserves it. And maybe some of those decided to leave will join back in. That would be great.
Life starts at take-off!

F9Animal

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:09 pm

I too miss the old site! I just don't get the same pleasure on this new setup. This new setup doesn't feel wholesome to me.

Change is inevitable, but I really wish they would bring back the old site.
I Am A Different Animal!!

mariner

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:51 am

Revelation wrote:
On the negative side, it is still inexcusable that they rolled out the site with its unreadable eyeball-searing white background and space-wasting layout.

I never had a problem with the white background - I liked it. Once I learned (and was taught by others, including yourself) how to use the new system, I was content. I was a bit miffed when they changed it back to blue because I thought all my work had been a waste of time, but, happily not.

There are a couple of minor things I miss - starred topics and the hover-over airport codes - but I just have to use my brain a teensy smidgen more and on the plus side, I love this new way of embedding photos. Yay!

I understand that a lot of airline people are nostalgic for the past in almost any form - I don't really understand retro liveries, for example - but I don't have that. I remember the past mostly with affection but sometimes with some regret and nothing much more, because it's a waste of time. What is, is, so mostly, I just enjoy the present.

mariner
aeternum nauta

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:21 pm

The Old site was better...esp the forum....the thread layout & display was much better.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

kon

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:26 am

I've only recently started using this forum often, and I'm curious to know, what do people mean with the arguments about the quality of discussions dropping and the old website being better? Having never really used the old site, this one works and looks fine to me. And the discussion quality seems fine as well, informative and interesting from what I've read. Sorry if this is a stupid question, still a newbie to this site.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:29 pm

kon wrote:
I've only recently started using this forum often, and I'm curious to know, what do people mean with the arguments about the quality of discussions dropping and the old website being better? Having never really used the old site, this one works and looks fine to me. And the discussion quality seems fine as well, informative and interesting from what I've read. Sorry if this is a stupid question, still a newbie to this site.

We changed the layout drastically in June when we upgraded to the current site. Some people left because of that (various reasons). This resulted in knowledgeable forum members leaving as well. This combined with the fact that the forum can now be accessed for free is the main reason why people say the quality has dropped. People have asked questions that were asked years ago as well and some forum members get annoyed by that. But don't let this discourage you (or anyone else!) to ask a question on the forum, that's what it's for. The only thing we ask is that people search through the past threads first to see if their question has been answered in the past. As for the old site being better, that's mostly a looks kind of thing. People (in general) dislike change, especially a quite large one. Plus we still need to improve the search functions a bit.

I'm happy to hear that you find the discussion quality just fine. Gives some perspective to the situation, in stead of hearing the negative sounds only..

AMSATC

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:44 am

HAWK21M wrote:
The Old site was better...esp the forum....the thread layout & display was much better.

I agree. I miss being able to have discussions with the people actually in charge and being part of the team. But those days are long gone with the owners and mods now.

nimitz

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:15 am

HAWK21M wrote:

I fully agree ! The revamped site is very cumbersome to access. I hardly come here anymore because it has just taken too much time to access any page here.

lpdal

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:03 pm

The old anet used a forum software called Phorum. It was not custom built from scratch but just a heavily modified version of a board software, that, might I point out, according to their website is still 100% supported and still updated. I'm just posting because I'm sick of seeing "Johan wrote the site from scratch." He did not. It was just a heavily modified version of Phorum.

Using the assets of software and heavily modifying them isn't "building something from scratch". Building from scratch is starting from nothing and coding, writing, developing everything yourself, not using any other preexisting assets.

-LPDAL
No info

Revelation

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 pm

lpdal wrote:
The old anet used a forum software called Phorum. It was not custom built from scratch but just a heavily modified version of a board software, that, might I point out, according to their website is still 100% supported and still updated. I'm just posting because I'm sick of seeing "Johan wrote the site from scratch." He did not. It was just a heavily modified version of Phorum.

Using the assets of software and heavily modifying them isn't "building something from scratch". Building from scratch is starting from nothing and coding, writing, developing everything yourself, not using any other preexisting assets.

-LPDAL

Thanks for the info. I've been kicking around here a long time and didn't know that history. I use a few different forums and must say many of the things about the old 'phorum' aren't found on other packages and are sorely missed. For instance the old 'multi-quote' was well thought out and easier to use than any I've found on any other forum. It's a lot more work now to put together a message that quotes multiple posts.

g38

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 am

I can't stand the new site. Today is only my second or third log-in since the site upgrade. I really wish they'd bring back the paid membership so we could lose these adds.

LCKip

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:00 am

g38 wrote:
I can't stand the new site. Today is only my second or third log-in since the site upgrade. I really wish they'd bring back the paid membership so we could lose these adds.

There are ad blockers to fix this. I'm using AdBlock Plus for IE and Firefox. It works for me,

sleekjet

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 pm

After a long time away, I returned to the site today...looking for what used to be "Photographers' Corner". Is there anything comparable in this "new and improved" site?
II Cor. 4:17-18

airkas1
Head Screener

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

sleekjet wrote:
looking for what used to be "Photographers' Corner".

http://www.airliners.net/user/photo-corner

mx330

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 am

airkas1 wrote:
sleekjet wrote:
looking for what used to be "Photographers' Corner".

https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-corner

Yeah, but not close to all the goodies on the old site.

Still missing the old Stats page. That was a good one.
And the PhotoIndex... 1,000,000 better than now.

Wish they come back for good.
All Canon! EOS 5D mk III, 8mm, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8, 100-400L

airkas1
Head Screener

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:56 am

mx330 wrote:
Yeah, but not close to all the goodies on the old site.

Still missing the old Stats page. That was a good one.
And the PhotoIndex... 1,000,000 better than now.

Wish they come back for good.

Agree, and they're still in the list. But again no ETA and to be fair there are more pressing issues that need to get sorted first.

dutchspotter1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:11 am

airkas1 wrote:
and to be fair there are more pressing issues that need to get sorted first.

So what's next? Would be nice if the users/photographers are informed about the website's development progress.
NO URLS in signature