Topic Author

New Site FAQ-Updated

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi All
Please no non FAQ answers in this thread, also see separate issues thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403

Regards, Johnny-Head Support

Why do I see ads and watermarks now? UPDATED
You used to have a First Class membership, and all paid memberships were cancelled 8-9 months ago. First Class WILL come back, unfortunately it will take a couple of months to get it in place. Our aim is for ads to be a natural part of the site that won't disturb the on site experience. We have a dialogue with the ad providers.

Where is the blue we love?
it has returned the the forum, and main site is in progress

Where is the iconic Sam Chui 747?
We are looking at ways to integrate it into the site in some form

Where is the Home button?
Just click the Airliners logo, and you will be taken to the front page

Go to first unread post
Next to every topic there is an icon (Page, Pin, Hot Topic etc) that shows if a new post has been made, click it and it will take you to the first unread post. In the top page index there is also an option to go to first unread post.

Where can I see my starred topics?
While it's not quite as it was in the old site you can see all topics you have replied to, or subscribed to by clicking the user image in the top right corner of the main site and choose settings, and then Forum. In the Overview tab you can see your Bookmarks and Subscriptions. If you already are on the forum page you clicknyour user image and choose "User control panel" and the Manage bookmarks or subscriptions.

Where do I alter settings?
Click the user image in the top right corner and choose settings, here you can set profile image, change password, notifications and some forum settings. The forum settings can also be accessed by clicking where it says "Welcome, USERNAME"

Where are all my albums I collected in the old site?
Click the user image in the top right corner and choose My Profile, in the top banner you will find your albums.

The photo search function is very limited!
There is a choice of Basic and Advanced search to the right

Where is the quick search field we had in the old site?
Click the looking glass in the top left corner

Where is the Cross Data Search?
Below every image there is a small crosshair, click it and you will be presented with a lot of options.

Last edited by JohnKrist on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Revelation

Re: New Site FAQ-Updated

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 pm

[Replying with what I hope is useful info]

You might want to point out that there is a difference between forum settings [the ones you get to via the upper right corner of any forum page, via avatar if set] versus site settings [via airliners.net home page then click upper right "three horizontal bars" then click ">" after My Account then Settings].

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Thank you, will refrase it :)

Vasu

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Overall I'm a fan of the new site and forums... but this new version of the 'starred' topics is fiddly and much less simple than with the old forum. Any chance we can get it modified please?

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:47 pm

In phpbb there is a possibilty to set icons to categories you have replied to, however they are not standard. So I would guess that is one of the things that could be done when the most concerning issues have been solved.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:21 am

What I liked about the old 'star' designator for threads I was following is that I could star, un-star easily, and it was all so visible. I also miss the compactness of the old site.

And it is always the pits to change operating systems, update browsers, library systems, and that is only from the point of view of the user. Can't begin to imagine how much work it must have been, and to do the fine-tuning.

jpsa

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:57 pm

I think the '*' to go to the first unread post in a topic is only present if you have an account and are logged in, whereas the old mechanism worked even when reading as a guest. Perhaps this information should be in the FAQ?

mariner

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:39 am

I dunno if this counts as a FAQ, but I haven't worked out how to include an a.net photo in a post.

I tried using the old "photo:plus the a.net photo number" but that didn't work. Any clues?

mariner

jetmatt777

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 am

mariner wrote:
I dunno if this counts as a FAQ, but I haven't worked out how to include an a.net photo in a post.

I tried using the old "photo:plus the a.net photo number" but that didn't work. Any clues?

mariner

Hi mariner,

As far as I am aware this is not a feature that made it to the new website. I have however just added it to the issues list.

Thanks
Matt B
Airliners.net Support

scbriml

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 pm

mariner wrote:

mariner

As far as I can see, the only way to do this is to use the 'image' button in the reply toolbar and paste in the URL to the photo. In Chrome you need to right-click on the photo and select 'Copy image address' and paste that in.

It's pretty clumsy compared to the old photoid: and twoid: tags, but the new site seems to have done away with the small thumbnails and gives us much larger images. I guess the developers COULD add tags similar to the old ones, but I suspect that's way down the list of priorities. :?

vhtje

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

How do we make logins persist across multiple devices, and for longer?

I am tired of constantly having to log in each time I visit. Yes, I have my credentials stored in my keychain, but it is still a pain to have to constantly log in each time I visit. My login does not persist if I navigate away and restart the browser session.

Is there a timer on our logins? If so, can it please be set longer like the old site?

Also, having two-logins - one for the forums, another for the site - is confusing. Sometimes my forum login persists but the site login does not.

airkas1

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:40 pm

The login issue is on the fix-list. Hopefully it won't be long as everyone experiences it.

vhtje

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 am

Thanks for the update - much appreciated.

747classic

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00 am

At the old A-net website you could download a picture from your own computer to the control panel and you could add this picture to your post for clarification.
Is this still possible at the new website?

arvo

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:55 am

I'm Trying to locate the Upload FAQ and Acceptance Guide referenced on the photo upload page. It has been awhile since i have uploaded a photo to Airliners.net and I want to make sure that it conforms to the requirements. I can't find it anywhere and I would like to find it before I upload my photos.

Brett

airkas1

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 pm

747classic wrote:
At the old A-net website you could download a picture from your own computer to the control panel and you could add this picture to your post for clarification. Is this still possible at the new website?

Not that I know of. But perhaps one of the support members can give you a definite answer to that.

arvo wrote:
I'm Trying to locate the Upload FAQ and Acceptance Guide referenced on the photo upload page. It has been awhile since i have uploaded a photo to Airliners.net and I want to make sure that it conforms to the requirements. I can't find it anywhere and I would like to find it before I upload my photos.

Hi Brett,

It's on the fix-list to link those at the top of the upload page.
For the moment, you can find them below:

Acceptance Guide: https://www.airliners.net/faq/photo_acceptance_guide/
Upload FAQ: https://www.airliners.net/faq/

I just realized that the photo links aren't working anymore, so if you have any question, please let us know at screeners[at]airliners.net.

AA737-823

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:24 am

Okay, so I've been through the FAQ's with as much attention to detail as I'm willing to exert for this website.
WHAT HAPPENED to the "view photos added since my last visit" link?
That's the number one thing I clicked on at a.net. And I can't find it.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 am

AA737-823 wrote:
Okay, so I've been through the FAQ's with as much attention to detail as I'm willing to exert for this website.

Hi there, the feature you refer to was not included in the update but it will be reintroduced it's just that I can't give you a time to expect it I'm sorry to say. Once more pressing issues have been addressed the feature will return.

Thanks and regards

Paul

AA737-823

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:59 am

PanAm_DC10 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Hi there, the feature you refer to was not included in the update but it will be reintroduced it's just that I can't give you a time to expect it I'm sorry to say. Once more pressing issues have been addressed the feature will return.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Thank you for this reply, Paul, I appreciate it.
Unfortunately, it's not the answer I wanted to hear, of course.
Without the ability to readily browse new photos, or easily use the forums, this update is clearly poorly executed; I'm sure we're all on the same page there.

Is there anyway you (not you, Paul, I appreciate you guys, it's the developers who should be drawn and quartered) folks could just send us an email when you're done fixing this half-baked website? Because, until it's usefulness is restored, I'm going to spend time elsewhere.
Maybe go on a hike.
Maybe start knitting.
Because we're two weeks in, and I can't even stay logged in yet.
It's like they decided to reinvent the internet.

flyingclrs727

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Where is the information about the software used to host the new website? I stumbled across it somwhere, but I can't seem to find it again.

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Hmm, I don't recall seeing that anywhere. Only software that has been discussed was for the forum, phpBB

Adipasquale

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit my signature, could somebody please tell me how. Sorry if this was covered somewhere, but I didn't see it.

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 am

Hi, you do that under forum settings.
Click theimage icon top right, choose User Control panel, then Profile and Edit Signature.
Or, simply click this link:
ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=signature

VapourTrails

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:03 am

I am actually pretty happy with the site as it is progressing and the changes that have happened of late.

------------------------

How do I delete my notifications list aka when you click on the bell? There are pages of them now and I don't need more than ten at a time? You can check or mark them all, but not delete?

I hope to do a Trip Report by the end of the year, I am hoping that the new site it will be easier? I know links are, and the preview window being on the same page as the edit screen is a great improvement. Embedding photos I haven't tried yet but am hoping this is easier too.

I really miss the old emoticons and refuse to use these new ones, they just don't appeal to me at all.

Cheers =

mariner

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:48 am

VapourTrails wrote:
I really miss the old emoticons and refuse to use these new ones, they just don't appeal to me at all.

Cheers =

I use the old ones. Image

A kind poster provided a list of them and how to include them in your posts on the new site. It's very easy. I keep his post bookmarked (and open in a new window) when I'm posting in case I want to use 'em.

Link here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1336137

Image to poster KFLLCFII

mariner

VapourTrails

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi mariner, oh, thank you! Glad to see the old smilies back!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 pm

bebop

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Sirs,
any (good) news when First Class Membership will be available again?
I prefer one column of photos

Regards,
Bebop (David Chindler)
lumache@uol.com.br

bebop

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Sirs,
any (good) news when First Class Membership will be available again?
I prefer one column of photos

Regards,
Bebop (David Chindler)
lumache@uol.com.br

RolandRat

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:28 am

Morning all,

I see a comment from 6 months ago (!) saying that first class membership will return...

Any news on a time frame for re-instating First class membership, ie to view photoso without all the ad's and watermearks ?

Cheers

airkas1

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Roland,
A week or 2-3 ago, the developers have opened the discussion on what the privileges for FC members should be. So it's in the works, but no ETA yet. Ads will most likely be gone for FC, but watermarks are likely to remain as is. But again, nothing is set in stone yet.

lesfalls

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:23 am

Hey! Anyone know by chance how to change your profile picture?

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

lesfalls wrote:
Hey! Anyone know by chance how to change your profile picture?

That is done on the main page profile settings:

https://www.airliners.net/user/account/settings

Barbro

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Impossible to go through all the threads to see what's going on so I'll just ask my question here...sorry.
Any idea on the statistics-section for photographers? Will there be one? When? What will be included?

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Pleaae keep questions like those in the airliners.net upgrade and discussions thread
However, it is on the list, and I have no idea what's going to be included. Sorry I can´t give you a better answer than that.

dragon-wings

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm

How do I edit a post after I posted it? I remember you used to be able to do that, now I don't see how to do it anymore.

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm

dragon-wings wrote:
How do I edit a post after I posted it? I remember you used to be able to do that, now I don't see how to do it anymore.

You can edit a post a short time after it has been posted, after that the edit option disappears.

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:34 am

JohnKrist wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

You can edit a post a short time after it has been posted, after that the edit option disappears.

Oh ok. I guess when I caught the mistake the edit time thing you mentioned was up.

airtran737

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 am

Why am I still seeing watermaks? You people take my money every month without fail. I am tired of seeing these things.

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 am

Airtran737, check your paypal history and you will see that we stopped all automatic renewals well over a year ago, two even. First Class option was shut down well ahead of the site update. There are plans to reinstate First Class, but I am not sure that it will remove watermarks as photographers have objected to it.

citationjet

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:22 pm

How do I post photos that I have on my PC directly into a forum thread?

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Citationjet, unfortunately you can't, you have to use a image hosting service and then use img-tags, or the add image button in the full editor

jwadsworth

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:23 am

Has there been any new updates to the site?

airkas1

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:30 am

jwadsworth wrote:
Has there been any new updates to the site?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403

I've been updating that thread since the site migration. But due to off-topic replies, I locked it. However, I did keep adding new info to it and writing a post that says 'Main post updated" everytime I updated the first post. Does that not show as an unread reply and would thus advise any user that more issues have been fixed?

AC_B777

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm trying to update my profile picture. I searched the forum and found how to do it and initially, all worked well until I clicked the "Save" button, When I clicked on it, I got a white screen with the message,
" Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error".

Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."
Is there another way to change my picture? Will this be fixed soon? Any answers??
Thanks

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi, a few have encountered this but it's been a while since I last heard of any issues. Does the image meet the size requirements?
Email me the image and I'll upload it from our admin tools. Johnkrist(at)airliners.net

AC_B777

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Hi, a few have encountered this but it's been a while since I last heard of any issues. Does the image meet the size requirements?
Email me the image and I'll upload it from our admin tools. Johnkrist(at)airliners.net

Thanks, I was going to send you a pm, but I can't see where to attach the photo's I'd like for my profile and cover pics.

JohnKrist
Head Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 am

Like posts, you can only use image tags in pm. Send me an email :)

FriscoHeavy

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm

How do I change my profile picture?

maortega15

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
How do I change my profile picture?

Getting backlash as well? :mrgreen:
https://www.airliners.net/user/account/settings