dxmekch

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

dxmekch wrote:
Seems like one month later the profiles aren't updated. The add my website field still doesn't work.

And regarding to privacy and data security it might be worth to implement https.

Cheers

Again and again, I'm somehow confused but is it so hard to fix this bug? Today, 3rd January 2018 I am still NOT able to add my homepage.

Is there a solution for this problem? Maybe work in progress?

Sincerely,
Dominik

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Dominik, it’s on the list but not a main priority.
Send the address to me, either to support@airliners.net or in a PM and I will add it through our tools
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

cpd

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
cpd wrote:
You cannot click "11 hours ago" - it goes nowhere. You should be able to click that and be taken to the most recent reply on that topic, as it does on the topics list. It would save a lot of clicking.

And something else odd, clicking on the title of the post seems to take me to the list of posts in that particular sub-forum instead of the topic.

Similarly, I wish the "your posts" list (and maybe other lists in the hamburger menu, haven't checked) would let you go to the first unread post by clicking the icon next to the topic title - like you can from the normal forum indices. At the moment I have to load the first page of each thread then load the first unread page one by one in a second round of clicking. Quite a waste of time.

Just bringing this to the attention of the staff - this problem still exists and the original post was made three months ago.

It's really annoying and time wasting to force people to make extra clicks and page views.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 am

Hi cpd
The first part works fine as far as I know. Sorry that it looks like something a 5 year old made :)

I’ll check the second part
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, 50mm 1.4, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:55 am

Second part is not fixed, clicking the unread icon in Your Posts or other filtrs does not work. Clicking the time stamp takes you to the last post as it should though.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:27 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Hi cpd
The first part works fine as far as I know. Sorry that it looks like something a 5 year old made :)

I’ll check the second part

I'm not sure which part refers to which, but my quoted section (clicking the icon to the left of the topic) still does *NOT* work in "your posts". Instead of going to the first unread post it does... nothing. This has always worked in the main forum index (which is what your image shows)...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
I'm not sure which part refers to which, but my quoted section (clicking the icon to the left of the topic) still does *NOT* work in "your posts". Instead of going to the first unread post it does... nothing. This has always worked in the main forum index (which is what your image shows)...

Yup, that is what I wrote in the next post.
JohnKrist wrote:
Second part is not fixed, clicking the unread icon in Your Posts or other filtrs does not work. Clicking the time stamp takes you to the last post as it should though.

dxmekch

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi

I don't know if this issue is new or was present a few months ago. But it seems like the picture container is displayed in width:100%. I have changed the css in firefox and added max-width:90%. This would fix the issue and the picture will be displayed 90% of the screen-width. On monitors (mostly laptops) with a screen width less than 1920/1600px you can see the whole picture without scrolling (overflow-x).

In addition to that the medium and large buttons are not working. It always displays the picture "large".

Aircellist

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Hello,

Every now and then, there is an answer to a post that appears before the said post in a thread. Case in point:
viewtopic.php?p=20271967#p20271967
In this thread, reply #25 is ap305 answering to Polot's reply #26.

Safari 11.0.3
OS10.13.3
MacBookPro 2010
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

stl07

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:48 am

Aircellist wrote:
Hello,

Every now and then, there is an answer to a post that appears before the said post in a thread. Case in point:
viewtopic.php?p=20271967#p20271967
In this thread, reply #25 is ap305 answering to Polot's reply #26.

Safari 11.0.3
OS10.13.3
MacBookPro 2010

Its gotten very frequent nowdays. Thanks for reporting it I always forget to

TW870

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:05 am

Just some quick feedback on moderating in Civil Aviation. Today I had two threads I was really interested in, one about odd departure procedures out of Kennedy this morning:

viewtopic.php?t=1392461

And then this one about jetliner types that have been fully withdrawn from use:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1392445

Both got moved out of CivAv, the Kennedy ops one to TechOps, and the retired types on to Polls and Prefs. They clearly fit in the other forums they got moved to, but doing so gives those threads a lot less play on the site. Additionally, by moving these slightly more niche discussions out of CivAv, it makes CivAv more dominated by these long threads that often end up in toxic flame wars about A v. B or United or Detroit or whatever the latest conflict is. It feels like the moderating has been a bit more aggressive lately, moving the somewhat more narrow threads out of CivAv. I would like to push the mods to consider letting some of these more geek threads stay in CivAv. They attract less flame, and it seems like the more we can all do to keep a.net more about information and less about internet drama the better.

Thank you to the mods as always for doing the work you do!

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:41 am

TW870 wrote:
the more we can all do to keep a.net more about information and less about internet drama the better.

Thumbs up to all that...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

qf789

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

TW870 wrote:
Just some quick feedback on moderating in Civil Aviation. Today I had two threads I was really interested in, one about odd departure procedures out of Kennedy this morning:

viewtopic.php?t=1392461

Both got moved out of CivAv, the Kennedy ops one to TechOps, and the retired types on to Polls and Prefs. They clearly fit in the other forums they got moved to, but doing so gives those threads a lot less play on the site. Additionally, by moving these slightly more niche discussions out of CivAv, it makes CivAv more dominated by these long threads that often end up in toxic flame wars about A v. B or United or Detroit or whatever the latest conflict is. It feels like the moderating has been a bit more aggressive lately, moving the somewhat more narrow threads out of CivAv. I would like to push the mods to consider letting some of these more geek threads stay in CivAv. They attract less flame, and it seems like the more we can all do to keep a.net more about information and less about internet drama the better.

In general when we move threads it comes from a decision that the thread is better suited in another forum, examples above are good examples. Unfortunately we have has some instances where users have used Civil Aviation to post threads which belong in other forums just to get more attention. This is something we don't want to see happening so we need to tow the line somewhere. While I can not speak for the other moderators thought process, I personally only move threads when they are reported with the exception of if the thread is rather obvious it should be in a different forum. There will always be the case where some users will say they don't agree with us moving a thread but on a site like this we can not please everyone.

I appreciate your comments on the flamewars whether is be Airbus vs Boeing, United, Delta, Detroit etc. As a moderator living in Australia in a lot of these threads there is a general lack of respect amongst some users. I have to say as someone who engages with the other Australian posters in the Australian thread there is a high level of respect between all the users, to the point where you can disagree on something and still come out the other side on friendly terms with each other. I wish this was more widespread over the site but unfortunately it isn't. All I can suggest is that if you come across the Airbus vs Boeing, United, Delta , Detroit flamewars is to report them and bring them to our attention so we can deal with them. I appreciate you can be frustrated by these sort of threads, trust me they are frustrating from our point of view as well.

I dont agree that our moderating has been aggressive. Sometimes we may need to take a hardline approach if we feel that a user or users are breaking a particular rule. For example at the start of this month over a period of 5 days I would have deleted at least 30 copyright violations over those 5 days which at the time was a lot higher than normal. Rules such as copyright rules you either follow them or you dont, there is no middle ground where as other rules there is some middle ground of which we can be more lenient if required. When there is an issue that we see over and over again we generally discuss it with the rest of the moderators firstly so everyone can keep a look out and secondly so we can work to a common goal to try and address it, one of our main goals is to try and improve posting quality.
Forum Moderator

TW870

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 pm

qf789 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1392461

In general when we move threads it comes from a decision that the thread is better suited in another forum, examples above are good examples. Unfortunately we have has some instances where users have used Civil Aviation to post threads which belong in other forums just to get more attention. This is something we don't want to see happening so we need to tow the line somewhere. While I can not speak for the other moderators thought process, I personally only move threads when they are reported with the exception of if the thread is rather obvious it should be in a different forum. There will always be the case where some users will say they don't agree with us moving a thread but on a site like this we can not please everyone.

I appreciate your comments on the flamewars whether is be Airbus vs Boeing, United, Delta, Detroit etc. As a moderator living in Australia in a lot of these threads there is a general lack of respect amongst some users. I have to say as someone who engages with the other Australian posters in the Australian thread there is a high level of respect between all the users, to the point where you can disagree on something and still come out the other side on friendly terms with each other. I wish this was more widespread over the site but unfortunately it isn't. All I can suggest is that if you come across the Airbus vs Boeing, United, Delta , Detroit flamewars is to report them and bring them to our attention so we can deal with them. I appreciate you can be frustrated by these sort of threads, trust me they are frustrating from our point of view as well.

I dont agree that our moderating has been aggressive. Sometimes we may need to take a hardline approach if we feel that a user or users are breaking a particular rule. For example at the start of this month over a period of 5 days I would have deleted at least 30 copyright violations over those 5 days which at the time was a lot higher than normal. Rules such as copyright rules you either follow them or you dont, there is no middle ground where as other rules there is some middle ground of which we can be more lenient if required. When there is an issue that we see over and over again we generally discuss it with the rest of the moderators firstly so everyone can keep a look out and secondly so we can work to a common goal to try and address it, one of our main goals is to try and improve posting quality.

Thanks qf789 for the thoughtful response. Sorry for using the word aggressive - which was too strong of a word. Ordinarily I don't think I would have even noticed this moderating practice of moving threads. I often purposely post in these more narrow threads because I think granular topics - such as whether Kennedy is routing southbounds over WAVEY or Robinsville - will be less likely to generate flame wars. But your response about posting just to attract attention makes perfect sense.

I also appreciate your point about respect in the Australia forum. As I am sure you know, the U.S. is deeply polarized and honestly a scary place to be right now with a level of political anger that is nothing like I have seen in previous decades. The internet is amplifying that wider cultural flame war, and there is no way that airliners.net is going to exempt from that. It bums me out that many airline employees have left for other platforms to avoid the flame. As a former United Airlines employee, I think there is still excellent stuff on here, and I am glad that you all work as hard as you do to make it work.

tmac22

Mon May 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Nice to see the link fixed on the homepage, where clicking on "Civil aviation" actually brings you to the Civav page.

747classic

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 am

Why is the " Official 747-8 Production/Delivery thread 2018 "suddenly locked ?
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

qf789

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:59 am

747classic wrote:
Why is the " Official 747-8 Production/Delivery thread 2018 "suddenly locked ?

Not sure why it was locked, it looks like it was done by mistake, I have unlocked it now
Forum Moderator