Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Any update on the JustPremium ads? I'm seeing them more often than ever and would appreciate it if this can be removed.

No update on any ads.

Lumix wrote:
In answer to the reason why hits are massively down, I would make the following comments.

I'm another who rarely looks at a.net any longer despite having done so almost daily for 12 years or more and having around 5000 photos in the database. Basically, it's not a pleasant experience due to the jumbled up layout after you search for anything.

Before the 'upgrade' one could get a nice orderly list with thumbnails one below each other and on a typical screen could see perhaps 10 at a time before scrolling down. The most important part of the info is the Registration, and now you have to hunt for it. There's no logic to the layout whatsoever.

Now it's all over the place with double spacing and spread all around under sub-headings. There's no need and it looks a mess! No wonder hits are down.
The info should be laid out similar to before. ie:
Regn:
Type:
C/N:
Comment:

As above, this covers around an inch or so of space.

Then, if you click on the thumbnail, you get a larger version of the photo but not necessarily the full size version. That might involve yet another click. Now you have to scroll down the page to find the info. again the Registration is somewhere over on the RH side of the page. It's infuriating to say the least.

Underneath the photo there is a scrolling horizontal bar containing more of your photos that detracts from what you are actually looking at. As for the info, you then need to scroll further down the page and again the layout is a mess.

I can well see why a.net regulars are departing to other similar databases en-mass.

As others have commented, the previous site had it's problems but at least it was nice to look at.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the matter...

We actually received this E-mail last night:

Hi all,

Over the next few weeks we'll be working on a major overhaul of the Photo Details pages. Before we begin, I want to open up this issue for any feedback or suggestions you might have. Are there any elements you'd like added to the Photo Details page? What can be removed or improved? What can we change that would make the Photo Details page perfect in your eyes? What do you hate about the current Photo Details page?

We will be starting the Photo Details redesign from scratch and not simply modifying the existing page, so keep that in mind. Also, we will be updating this email thread w/ our progress during this overhaul process.

Please respond here w/ any and all of your thoughts, comments, concerns, suggestions, wishes, etc.

Please note that this was sent to the crew and we are giving/have given our honest opinion and relayed all the wishes that users have mentioned. I have confidence that we will get a much cleaner and nice photo page once this work is completed. So in short, a major overhaul is in the works.

Lumix wrote:
again the Registration is somewhere over on the RH side of the page. It's infuriating to say the least.

Huh? I don't recognize this issue at all.

Lumix wrote:
Then, if you click on the thumbnail, you get a larger version of the photo but not necessarily the full size version.

There is a setting in your profile that enables you to always view the large version by default.

RobK

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Lumix I fully agree with you on the photo search shenannigans. It's a complete mess and not intuitive at all. As usual with these things when owners decide to make "improvements" they always completely fail by turning what was a simple and perfectly functional process into an unnecessarily complicated mess and the a.net photo pages are a perfect example of this. I'm another one that has simply given up even bothering to look at ANY pics on this site and instead just go straight to their direct competitor where I experience no such issues.

tan1mill

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:16 am

Are their any plans to shrink down the size of all the search boxes on the advanced search page? The text is big, there is a lot of dead space between search fields and takes up too much room on the screen. Can this be simplified into something small like we used to have?

RobK wrote:
Lumix I fully agree with you on the photo search shenannigans. It's a complete mess and not intuitive at all. As usual with these things when owners decide to make "improvements" they always completely fail by turning what was a simple and perfectly functional process into an unnecessarily complicated mess and the a.net photo pages are a perfect example of this. I'm another one that has simply given up even bothering to look at ANY pics on this site and instead just go straight to their direct competitor where I experience no such issues.

I wish this wasn't the case, but lately I've also found myself going elsewhere for photos. I find the current advanced search page an eye sore.

scbriml

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:54 am

Lumix wrote:
You're right that hits have dropped.

It's not just that hits are WAY down, photographers are uploading far fewer images.

Looking at the upload queue right now, the average uploads per day is less than 600. Before the upgrade it would be pretty rare to see a day with less than 1,000 uploads. It seems to me that uploads are probably down by close to 50%.

Aside from some shots from Farnborough, I've only uploaded one batch of shots since the upgrade. I uploaded the same batch to another site where they've received, on average, 10 times the hits that they have here. While hits are not my motivation for photography, they are a part of the motivation for uploading to this site. If nobody's going to look at my shots, I'm wondering why I should bother to upload them?

airkas1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:17 am

For all photographers, please be aware of this update: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1345169

airkas1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:18 am

tan1mill wrote:
Are their any plans to shrink down the size of all the search boxes on the advanced search page? The text is big, there is a lot of dead space between search fields and takes up too much room on the screen. Can this be simplified into something small like we used to have?

I've put it on the list.

Loran

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:17 am

Not sure if this has been addressed before, apologies if it was already discussed: I was wondering why the user profiles are separated between a forum profile and photographer profile (on the main page)? Or are those linked in some way which I haven't found out yet?

Another question to the photographer profile, section 'Biography' - there used to be a way to use some basic coding such as '</br>' to add line breaks, this is no longer possible it seems. Is there a new way to add line breaks to this text box? Simply hitting <enter> doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Loran

vald

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:39 pm

To be honest, I was hoping the new site layout would grow on me. It hasn't.
I would view the old site layout at least 3 times a day, if there was something that interested me
possibly 12 - 15 times a day. Now 1 maybe twice a week. Judging by the other comments the hit rate
must be though the floor.
Is there any stats on this or are they classified.
It really sadden me that very little action, if any has been taken.
Maybe a Update or Feedback from a moderator would be welcome.
Kindest Regards
Val Darcy

ScotsClan14

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:30 pm

I've tried as hard as I can to like this new format, but in all phases, to me, it's a tremendous failure. Just using the search engine for photographs is clumsy, cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated. I used to look at Airliners.net daily, now I sign in to look maybe once a week, hoping the old format has returned. Needless to say, I won't be renewing my subscription. A huge failure.

airkas1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 pm

vald wrote:

The crew don't have any stats, DM obviously have.

vald wrote:

I suggest you take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403

ScotsClan14 wrote:
Just using the search engine for photographs is clumsy, cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated.

I assume you've tried the Advanced Search? It works just fine for me.
https://www.airliners.net/search

ScotsClan14 wrote:
Needless to say, I won't be renewing my subscription.

You mean the FC membership on the old site? You haven't actually paid that for over a year and we currently don't offer it (will return in the future though). So at the moment there is nothing to renew.

tan1mill

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:21 am

Might I add a few suggestions about the search results page, and others since the new design came out. As I stated previously, there is way too much empty space on the site. Take the Forums for example. I used to be able to see dozens of topics at a time, now I have to scroll endlessly because of all the empty space it between lines of text. The photo results page is incredibly annoying for the eyes, having to constantly look left and right to see photos instead of one constant compressed line of results, and again, dead space all over. Having the search boxes on top of EVERY page of results is annoying to have to scroll past. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, and I understand a lot of work has been done since the relaunch, but visually I think all this extra space needs to go.

PeterB

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Maybe I am not the only one here suffering from the harsh contrast of the website. There must be a level of contrast between the white design and the current one!
However, I start to see bright flashes after 5 min of forum reading. I am not going to destroy my eyes here!

airkas1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Just a reminder that we're going to do maintenance on the Airliners.net site at 3pm today.

The site will be done for an estimated 20 minutes.

We will keep everyone updated on our progress.

speedbored

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:33 pm

3pm in which timezone?

airkas1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Los Angeles timezone I presume.

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 am

Still getting signed out regularly on macOS Sierra and iOS 10...

Johnv707

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:26 pm

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
Still getting signed out regularly on macOS Sierra and iOS 10...

Sorry to hear that. I am using the latest MAC OS 10.1 and have not had any issues for over a month. However if you clear history, you will need to sign in again.

PeterB

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:26 pm

scbriml wrote:
Lumix wrote:
You're right that hits have dropped.

It's not just that hits are WAY down, photographers are uploading far fewer images.

Looking at the upload queue right now, the average uploads per day is less than 600. Before the upgrade it would be pretty rare to see a day with less than 1,000 uploads. It seems to me that uploads are probably down by close to 50%.

Aside from some shots from Farnborough, I've only uploaded one batch of shots since the upgrade. I uploaded the same batch to another site where they've received, on average, 10 times the hits that they have here. While hits are not my motivation for photography, they are a part of the motivation for uploading to this site. If nobody's going to look at my shots, I'm wondering why I should bother to upload them?

That's the reason why I decided last week to stop uploading here. At the moment there are 4000 uploads in the queue. Congratulations! :lol: I am sorry to say that, but: All good things come to an end!

Jalap

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Hey,

For photographers there used to be more statistics available about your photos. We could see what websites refer to your photos, see traffic. I always found it interesting to see where my photos are being used.

Is that page still available? I can't find it. And if it's gone, is it somewhere on the backlog for development?

airkas1

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:58 pm

@Peter: The fact that the queue is now at 4000 photos isn't due to lack of uploads. It's because the screening team has cracked down on the queue, screening their butts of to lower the queue. Last weekend, the queue was still around 6500. And if anything, the number of uploads has gone up Conpated to a few months ago.

@Jalap: It could be coming back, but if it does it will be sometime in the future. No ETA on that.

airkas1

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:39 am

Hi all,

Since not everyone might look in the other thread, I'm posting this here as well to maximize exposure/awareness. Currently a complete overhaul of the photo pages is in the works. We're making some good progress and it will look a look like the phoo pages on the old site. Please note that the screenshot below is not the final version.

dendrobatid

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 am

It is like the return of an old friend except that the information on the left is in the wrong order, start with the registration, then cn (MSN) aircraft type and operator.....for me anyway. I think that most of us could tell from a thumbnail that it was Iberia and an Airbus 320 so put the bits that you can't know first

Mick Bajcar

airkas1

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Mick,

The layout of the information in the screenshot is not the final version. I agree that the order of info can be improved.
The other day I suggested the following order to the developers:

---
*airline*
*version*

*reg.*
*msn*
*ln* (optional)
*code* (optional)
---

Also if fields don't contain a value (i.e. code or ln), they will be hidden.

Lumix

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 am

dendrobatid wrote:
It is like the return of an old friend except that the information on the left is in the wrong order, start with the registration, then cn (MSN) aircraft type and operator.....for me anyway. I think that most of us could tell from a thumbnail that it was Iberia and an Airbus 320 so put the bits that you can't know first

Mick Bajcar

Now that looks much better! I might be tempted to upload my 6 month backlog.

I also agree with Mick re the order of info. The Registration should be top of the list every time.

raaadek

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:06 pm

vald wrote:
To be honest, I was hoping the new site layout would grow on me. It hasn't.
I would view the old site layout at least 3 times a day, if there was something that interested me
possibly 12 - 15 times a day. Now 1 maybe twice a week. Judging by the other comments the hit rate
must be though the floor.
Maybe a Update or Feedback from a moderator would be welcome.
Kindest Regards
Val Darcy

:cry: My thoughts, exactly. I used to visit a.net daily, now it's once a week at most. I also feel, that the level of forum discussions has plummeted in-line with the design.

airkas1

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 pm

We're experiencing some issues with the thumbnails. Hopefully will be sorted soon.

WarRI1

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:45 am

Crew. I would like to see the time updated like before when you post a reply. To have to go back to a thread every time to carry on a conversation and find no replies is very aggravating to me. The last reply time should appear as before the upgrade. Even if you do not show who replied, you would still know by the updated time. I find this is very time wasting.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Crew. I would like to see the time updated like before when you post a reply. To have to go back to a thread every time to carry on a conversation and find no replies is very aggravating to me. The last reply time should appear as before the upgrade. Even if you do not show who replied, you would still know by the updated time. I find this is very time wasting.

Not sure what you mean, every topic has a "Last post by NN" and how long ago it was made.

96adrian

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:18 pm

I still get the mobile/tablet version of the site on my 13 inches, 1366x768 pixels computer when at 100 % zoom. So I think you have to do something about the screen size limit for when the mobile vs desktop page is showing.

On my 15,6 inches, 1920x1080 pixels computer, I do get the desktop layout, but the photos are oversized and appear blurry and soft. So I have to zoom out to 70-80 % to get the correct size of the photos with good quality.

Hope you can fix this, it would make the good experience on a.net even better!

dutchspotter1

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,
I just found a dead link. It concerns photo ID 2751341 (OO-XLS)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/untitled ... s+/2751341

airkas1

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:10 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Hi,
I just found a dead link. It concerns photo ID 2751341 (OO-XLS)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/untitled ... s+/2751341

It works if you remove the "+" from "XLS+". But nevertheless this sort of thing should be solved, and I'll pass it on. Thanks.

flipdewaf

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:50 pm

If this new site is so much easier to handle in the background why is it taking so long to sort out issues? Wasn't that the whole point of <s>ruining</s> changing it?

Fred

Edit: I see the enabling strike through tick box still hasn't been clicked by demand media, what a shambles that company is.

Veetwo

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:04 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
If this new site is so much easier to handle in the background why is it taking so long to sort out issues? Wasn't that the whole point of <s>ruining</s> changing it?

Fred

Edit: I see the enabling strike through tick box still hasn't been clicked by demand media, what a shambles that company is.

This is the outcome of a website built by disinterested, general developers with no passion for what they do. Its a symptom of what DM does- buys and sells websites and advertising with little focus on actual passionate content.

Lets wait for a reply from the excuse-brigade.

flipdewaf

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Veetwo wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

This is the outcome of a website built by disinterested, general developers with no passion for what they do. Its a symptom of what DM does- buys and sells websites and advertising with little focus on actual passionate content.

Lets wait for a reply from the excuse-brigade.

I have nothing against the mods, the on the whole do a pretty good job of dealing with the bag of sh1te handed to them by demand media. We have to communicate through the poor mods because demand media are uncontactable and therefore not taking any responsibility for their lack of skills with regards website and change management

Fred

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 am

flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

It's not part of the phpbb standard, and I don't recollect anyone requesting it. There are a gazillion of specialized functions that need to be added manually that we haven't added.
Besides, it not just a matter of ticking a checkbox but it's not complicated either.

airkas1

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:05 am

He did request it and it's still on the list. Can't be bothered to write a more lengthy response to it.

Theseus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

I see several problems with the forums:

- pictures embedded in posts not always showing in some browsers (it seems Safari usually displays them, but Chrome, sometimes yes, sometimes not...);

- there is now no way to jump from the thread list to the end of a specific thread, which means that, to check the status of a previously read thread, a user needs to load several pages (the first page, and then the last page, and sometimes the previous one as well to see the context), which is both human time lost and unnecessary server load.

Am I the only one who encounters these issues ? Are solutions planned ?

speedbored

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am

Theseus wrote:
- there is now no way to jump from the thread list to the end of a specific thread, which means that, to check the status of a previously read thread, a user needs to load several pages (the first page, and then the last page, and sometimes the previous one as well to see the context), which is both human time lost and unnecessary server load.

... but more page clicks, hence more advertising revenue ...

Theseus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:31 am

speedbored wrote:
Theseus wrote:

I thought about this too. But I would like the "Crew members" to confirm or deny this.

Actually, a month or two ago, I remember Safari was showing links to last pages from the threads index, but not anymore. So it seems it was actually removed.

PS: around 2002, I was using multiple browsers so as to be able to go on website that would not work well with some of them, and I stopped needing this around 2007 or so as most sites were stable enough. It is a bit disturbing that I am now going back more than ten years in time, and often try two or three browsers to select which one handles best a given website. It is quite sad to see where the Internet is going...

airkas1

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Theseus wrote:
- pictures embedded in posts not always showing in some browsers (it seems Safari usually displays them, but Chrome, sometimes yes, sometimes not...);

Is this the case for photos from the database or photos linked from outside A.net?

Theseus wrote:

I noticed this several months ago and put it on the list back then. So it's on the radar, but no ETA on when this will be fixed.

Theseus wrote:
But I would like the "Crew members" to confirm or deny this.

We (the crew) can't do either, as we don't know if the missing button was a deliberate action or not (and if so, for what reason).

Theseus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks for your reply.

airkas1 wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Is this the case for photos from the database or photos linked from outside A.net?

I have not checked this in the past. This problem seems to come and go in a random manner. I usually use Chrome and sometimes see a post that says "in the picture below you see that ..." and displays no picture; then loading Safari brings the picture up. Next time I observe this, I will check which URL this happens for and report here.

airkas1 wrote:
Theseus wrote:

I noticed this several months ago and put it on the list back then. So it's on the radar, but no ETA on when this will be fixed.

Ok, I hope this will eventually get fixed as it will make navigation much quicker.

airkas1 wrote:
Theseus wrote:
But I would like the "Crew members" to confirm or deny this.

We (the crew) can't do either, as we don't know if the missing button was a deliberate action or not (and if so, for what reason).

Thanks, I am not familiar with the a.net internal organization. Out of curiosity, who decides and knows about this ?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Theseus wrote:
there is now no way to jump from the thread list to the end of a specific thread, which means that, to check the status of a previously read thread, a user needs to load several pages (the first page, and then the last page, and sometimes the previous one as well to see the context), which is both human time lost and unnecessary server load.

I presume you mean on mobile? On desktop I get the pageination. If a new message has been posted the icon next to the thread changes color, click the icon to jump to first unread post. This saves you the trouble of bouncing through page one, at least för those posts. For a post with no new replies, you will unfortunately have to bounce through page one as it is now.

airkas1

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Theseus wrote:
I am not familiar with the a.net internal organization. Out of curiosity, who decides and knows about this ?

The crew consist of the volunteers that run the site on a day-to-day basis. In the first place, we are also enthusiasts.
- Moderators take care of the forum.
- Editors make sure any faulty photo information is corrected and keep the database in check.
- Screeners judge the photos that the photographers submit and make sure there are always photos to look at.
- Support takes cares of a variety of things and you can always contact them for all your questions. Especially Johnny. Everyone should always E-mail Johnny. Image

Then you have the developer team & General Manager (Demand Media (DM)). They are the actual owners of the site and make sure that we have the hard-/software that is A.net. The crew and developer team are in constant connection, as it is the crew that usually reports (potential) issues to the developers, who then take care of it. The crew do not have insights in the backend of the website, so we are unable to provide info regarding stats, certain decisions, etc. We can only provide details about decision in which we took part (for example the upcoming layout change of the photo pages).

As for your specific question regarding the jump-to-last-post button; the new website hasn't had that since the migration (also not on the previous forum software). I'm pretty sure this is not a deliberate thing, but more like something that still needs to be fixed.You will often read about 'the list'. This is where we document all the things that still need fixing.

Hope this helps.

Theseus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:03 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Theseus wrote:
there is now no way to jump from the thread list to the end of a specific thread, which means that, to check the status of a previously read thread, a user needs to load several pages (the first page, and then the last page, and sometimes the previous one as well to see the context), which is both human time lost and unnecessary server load.

I presume you mean on mobile? On desktop I get the pageination. If a new message has been posted the icon next to the thread changes color, click the icon to jump to first unread post. This saves you the trouble of bouncing through page one, at least för those posts. For a post with no new replies, you will unfortunately have to bounce through page one as it is now.

I connect only with MacOS computers. I observed what you described on Safari until some time ago, but not anymore, and never on Chrome. Are you still getting it ? On which platform ? (Windows, MacOS, or Linux ?) On which browser ?
It might be a browser dependent breakage (maybe not too hard to fix).

Theseus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hope this helps.

It does, thanks!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Actually I found a part solution, right under the username of the last poster there is a time stamp. Click it, and heureka, you get straight to the last porst.

Kas, Thanks for that one,l I will now add an auto forward rule to every member of your family...and their friends...

KruegerFlaps

Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:54 am

Theseus wrote:
Actually, a month or two ago, I remember Safari was showing links to last pages from the threads index, but not anymore. So it seems it was actually removed.

If I am not mistaken, the icon next to the thread only changes colour if you are logged in. There is a button at the top of an open thread that does read First Unread Post and this appears on each page. Presumably this would also only be effective if you are signed in and haven't cleared cookies.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 am

Theseus wrote:
speedbored wrote:
Theseus wrote:

I thought about this too. But I would like the "Crew members" to confirm or deny this.

PS: around 2002, I was using multiple browsers so as to be able to go on website that would not work well with some of them, and I stopped needing this around 2007 or so as most sites were stable enough. It is a bit disturbing that I am now going back more than ten years in time, and often try two or three browsers to select which one handles best a given website. It is quite sad to see where the Internet is going...

Are you guys not clicking the thread icons to go to the first unread post...?

Or am I missing the point?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:39 am

SomebodyInTLS it,s about the page index that is found on the topics main page if a topic has more than one page. Apparently that index does not appear. It does for me on Windows with Chrome and IE, but not in any browser on my ipad or phone.

Theseus

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:13 am

KruegerFlaps and SomebodyInTLS, thanks for the tip. I was clicking on the thread title, as I do in all forums I visit, and indeed it helps!

JohnKrist, you are right too, I was looking for the index (which I also find informative: when I was seeing it, it gave page counts for instance). From your observation, it seems to work on Windows platforms but not on iOS. From mine, it seems not to work on MacOS.