Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dutchspotter1

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 am

Good day,

I have an issue with the search engine (advanced search). I was trying to search for all of my photos of aircraft with a Dutch registration. So I entered my name in the Photographer box and then I enter "PH-" in the Reg box. However I get zero results. Same with "PH-***" and "PH" (all without the "" of course). So apparently I have to enter the exact registration and thus it is not possible to search for part of the registration. Is there a solution for this?

Kind regards,

Joost de Wit

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 am

Hi Joost
Actually the simple search top left is pretty powerful, just enter Joost de Wit PH- and you will get 13 pages (448 hits) :)

dutchspotter1

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks, but unfortnately it's not flawless. If I am looking for German registered aircraft ("D-"), I also get an American registered Trojan which happens to have a code with D-....
Also with Japanese aircraft it doesn't work when I enter "JA".

dutchspotter1

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Can we agree that ads have gone way out of control now? I urgently request you to change this situation ASAP. Thank you.

LCKip

Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:05 am

[quote="dutchspotter1"]Can we agree that ads have gone way out of control now? I urgently request you to change this situation ASAP. Thank you.
Yes, I agree. The only solution is to use AdBlock Plus. It's a free add on and I use it for Firefox, which is my main browser. It's available for IE and Chrome. My experience since Janauary: simple to use and it solved my problems.

airkas1

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:43 am

Except that Joost doesn't want to use an adblocker.

Joost, I've put the photo search issue on the list as high priority and have E-mailed the developers regarding the ads. I hope it will be resolved soon.

dutchspotter1

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:09 am

Thank you Airkas, I appreciate that.

dutchspotter1

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 pm

Also FYI, for some reason, I do not have any issues with ads on my work PC, which is an Apple IMac with Safari browser. But as you can see on the screenshot, it's a totally different story on my home PC with Windows 7 and Google Chrome browser (and also IE).

airkas1

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Can we agree that ads have gone way out of control now? I urgently request you to change this situation ASAP. Thank you.

Developer reply:

"Yeah, that's pretty awful. I will forward to our ad people and have them address this and hopefully disallow this one from showing."

&

"Just heard back from our ad team and this type of ad has been disabled. Please send us any more reports about ads like this if you get them and I'll pass them on to the ad team. We absolutely need ads to pay the bills but ads definitely shouldn't interfere that much w/ using the site."

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:50 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Also FYI, for some reason, I do not have any issues with ads on my work PC, which is an Apple IMac with Safari browser. But as you can see on the screenshot, it's a totally different story on my home PC with Windows 7 and Google Chrome browser (and also IE).

If your work PC is on a corporate network (even VPN at home) then there's probably a proxy/firewall blocking the ads.

brilondon

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't like how the pictures are now displayed on the page. There seems to be a lack of information about the picture.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:49 pm

brilondon wrote:
I don't like how the pictures are now displayed on the page. There seems to be a lack of information about the picture.

Any particular info you miss that was there before?

coolian2

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Is there an option to make the ignore list more effective? I'm on another forum that recently upgraded to similar software and you aren't notified of ignored users replies to you, and even when they're quoted by someone you don't ignore it withholds the quote.

This would be quite effective.

dutchspotter1

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 pm

airkas1 wrote:
"Just heard back from our ad team and this type of ad has been disabled. Please send us any more reports about ads like this if you get them and I'll pass them on to the ad team. We absolutely need ads to pay the bills but ads definitely shouldn't interfere that much w/ using the site."

Great job! The annoying ads have disappeard indeed. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! Also the website seems to be a little bit faster too now that these ads aren't being loaded anymore.

airkas1

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Very glad to hear that Joost, also thanks for providing the follow-up feedback!

segi

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:09 am

Hello,
I would like again to request the possibility to delete rejected photos in order to focus only on those that still have a chance to be accepted. Moreover, it would be nice to have the possibility to click on a button to upload a new version so that the registration, location, caption etc would not need to be re-filled in the form (it's so time consuming indeed!).
On another subject, I can't unfollow photographers/profiles I am following. It is a bug that should be fixed.
Thank you for your consideration.
Regards,
Seb

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:03 am

Segi, in your profile, click the photographer you are following. On his/her page you will see a green box that says "Follow" and has a checkmark. Click it and it will change to grey and read "Follow" and a +. Then you are no longer following that photographer.

segi

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:17 am

Hi John, thanks for feedback. That's exactly what I do but after a few second the system will automatically recheck the Follow button. I have the problem on all my computers, ipad and android phones. Therefore I report this here. Not a big deal but if it can be solved with time, this would improve the website.
Thank you and best regards,

airkas1

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 am

I have the same issue although reversed - I'm unable to follow new people. Will add it to the list.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:52 pm

I have clicked follow on both of you, no issues. I will check back in an hour or so, and will try to unfollow

brilondon

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

JohnKrist wrote:
brilondon wrote:

Any particular info you miss that was there before?

Where is the cross data search function.

airkas1

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 am

brilondon wrote:
Where is the cross data search function.

Open up a photo. It's in the second tab from the right, underneath the photo info.

dutchspotter1

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 am

I've got another "issue": when I open a photo page (either medium or large): I see "xxx of yyy" both above and under the photo. Besides the fact that it is not really clear what these numbers represent, it's also a bit redundant to display it twice.

airkas1

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:14 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
I've got another "issue": when I open a photo page (either medium or large): I see "xxx of yyy" both above and under the photo. Besides the fact that it is not really clear what these numbers represent, it's also a bit redundant to display it twice.

yyy = Amount of photos the photographer has in the DB.
xxx = Photo number (counted from the very first photo that that photographer has uploaded).

I agree it's redundant to have it displayed twice, but it's such a small issue that I don't think it will be fixed very soon.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Update on the Follow issue, I can add and remove and the page will update accordingly, correctly showing the members I follow. However the Following/Followers numbers does not update if I remove one.

ZeeZoo

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Anyone know how to change profile pics? Can't seem to find it or the option doesn't show.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:25 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:
Anyone know how to change profile pics? Can't seem to find it or the option doesn't show.

That setting is found by accessing the profile settings from the main page, right here:
https://www.airliners.net/user/account/settings

dutchspotter1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 am

It looks like a lot of photos are missing in the database right now. E.g. I used to have over 3900 photos IIRC, but now a search shows only 2500 photos.

airkas1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am

Yep, we've had multiple reports like that. The appropriate people have been alerted to this.

airkas1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:06 am

Seems to be fixed now?

dutchspotter1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:22 pm

Indeed, I think it is.

nicode

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:49 pm

I added some pictures in my personal album.
Some pictures I added are in the top, some in the bottom of the album... I don't know how to fix that.
Can we move pictures inside the album ?

airkas1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:09 pm

nicode wrote:
Can we move pictures inside the album ?

Unfortunately that's not possible yet.

As for the missing photos from earlier today - the photo database was being re-indexed, causing some photos to not show up. Once this process was complete, all photos were present again. Due to a small miscommunication, we were unable to advise you all about this ahead of time.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 am

airkas1 wrote:
As for the missing photos from earlier today - the photo database was being re-indexed, causing some photos to not show up. Once this process was complete, all photos were present again.

Hi All

We've had to reindex the photo database again today so you will again notice some of your images may be missing. They will return as the indexing processes and we thank you for your patience whilst this occurs.

Regards

lindy field

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Hello,

I would also like to request the ability to move photos around within the albums, but especially to be able to remove photos from albums.

Thanks,

Edward

airkas1

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Hey Edward,
That issue is on our to-do list, but unfortunately I don't have an ETA on when it will be fixed.

dutchspotter1

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks for the info airkas. Now, some of my humble opinions regarding the search engine. I'm sure some of it may have been mentioned before by others, but I'm curious if there are any updates :
1. Please make advanced search the default setting.
2. Unlike others: I actually prefer the new search engine. Finally I get a complete list of airports/locations when I select a country or state, rather than get a list of just the top ones and then "other airports/locations" (which didn't really work at the old website as it still showed photos of those top airports). And this principle also applies to airline names etc. Also with airports I can just type in the airport code or part of the name and the right airport shows up right away. Obviously there is a lot of work to do database-wise, as some of the airports have two, three or even more entries.E.g. the airports AMS (Netherlands), 1G4 (USA - Arizona) and many more.

airkas1

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:54 pm

1: I understand and agree to a certain extent, but it's still workable as is. Not sure if this will change.
2: There are no plans to remodel the current search engine (as far as I know).

DEKRC

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:53 pm

What is about the missing stats, will we see them again? Showing the links to other sites is not required, because it seems that there are no links to other sites since start of the new airliners.net anymore. But it was always nice to see how many pics were taken on an airfield, what kind of aircraft and so on.

spompert

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 am

DEKRC wrote:
What is about the missing stats, will we see them again? Showing the links to other sites is not required, because it seems that there are no links to other sites since start of the new airliners.net anymore. But it was always nice to see how many pics were taken on an airfield, what kind of aircraft and so on.
I agree, I miss the stats like how many countries you have photos from, what kind of planes, which years, etc.

airkas1

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:17 am

Perhaps in the future, guys. It is on the list, but there are other things to be taken care of before that.

Laza

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:37 am

96adrian wrote:
When can we expect the photo corner to be fixed? The photos there are still in tablet/smart phone format, and have really poor quality...

Also the menu on the front page is still not in desktop format (as mentioned above).

I do however really like the new layout now, especially with the queue stats back!

This is still not fixed (what has been the idea with the blurry, upscaled thumbnails in the first place, I don't understand) :( Couldn't this be implemented as any photo list on the site, e.g. in the same way as top photos of 24h? It's also missing # of views information, and there's no easy way to see comments either. Similarly, on the rejections page you have to click each photo open in order to see the rejection reason.

umkay

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 am

The popular forum posts have moved into the middle of the homepage and the photos are displaying in the good format they used to. Really like the changes that have been implemented! Much more similar to what worked well on the old site :)

lhrnue

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:47 pm

There you go .... now bring back the 747 please.

blrsea

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:59 pm

What was the reason for site being down for more than 12 hours?

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Local power outage, more sites than Anet was affected

winterlight

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Any chance of fixing the """ that keeps appearing in thread titles on the front page?

freddie4u2

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Has the airliner games area been removed? I enjoyed trying to figure out different planes and seeing how I scored...

umkay

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Any chance of people's country/location returning?

Laza

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:22 am

Laza wrote:
This is still not fixed (what has been the idea with the blurry, upscaled thumbnails in the first place, I don't understand) :( Couldn't this be implemented as any photo list on the site, e.g. in the same way as top photos of 24h? It's also missing # of views information, and there's no easy way to see comments either. Similarly, on the rejections page you have to click each photo open in order to see the rejection reason.

This seems to be fixed today! Great stuff, thanks...now the page is much more readable! Now just add rejected details next to the photo (photo corner-rejections) & number of views (photo corner - accepted) and that's it! :)