Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LenPepperbottom

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm

airkas1 wrote:
LenPepperbottom wrote:
When are we going to see the paid, user generated content appear? Any news on that?

What paid user generated content?

Remember the post a few months ago in Civil Aviation about hiring writers to generate content for the site? I believe you actually commented in that thread a few times. I'd link it here but it was deleted. Any news on that or other content we will be seeing soon?

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Ah, that. Yeah, I remember it, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.
The crew don't have any info regarding that. I'm not even sure if that 'project' went ahead in the end.

ricox

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Dear staff,
it's a lot of monts since site was been "updated" :? .
It's sad for me to see that this site, for photograper, had lost a lot of enjo :| y... I continue uploading here to don't lost a lot of work and in the hope that something change.

For example, Photo statistic and Upload queue ... where are they finished :geek: ??

Thank's for any reply .

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:26 pm

The upload queue statistics will be back soonish, as it's already work in progress. Last Friday, the developers sent us a raw format of how it could look, for the screeners to give feedback on. I'm pretty sure they will continue to work on it this week. And even though I don't know when its planned to go live, I very much doubt it will take weeks/months.

LenPepperbottom

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:09 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Ah, that. Yeah, I remember it, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.
The crew don't have any info regarding that. I'm not even sure if that 'project' went ahead in the end.

How can I go about learning more about it. Can you provide contact information to someone that would know?

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 pm

LenPepperbottom wrote:
How can I go about learning more about it. Can you provide contact information to someone that would know?

I've asked DM and will let you know when I have an answer.

airkas1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 pm

LenPepperbottom wrote:
How can I go about learning more about it.

3 editors were picked, who will be writing content for studioD and not Airliners.net (I will not list their names for privacy reasons). Two of the three have been writing for JetBlue, but their articles haven't gone live yet.

studioD is a division of Demand Media that works with companies to help build engaging content for their brands and audience. Some companies they are currently working with are: JetbBlue, Delta Airlines, and Canon. Many times, the studioD team will reach out to different divisions within Demand Media to see if there are credible editors or photographers they can work with directly. These positions are paid positions by Demand Media.

-> Here is blog the studioD team worked on for Jetblue for you to get an idea of their work: http://blog.jetblue.com/
-> Here is information on studoD: http://studiod.com/
-> Here is their fact sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFeX_ ... g2OTQ/view

As you can see, I haven't been given contact details. But I'm sure that you can figure that out from the above links if you wish to contact them.
Last edited by airkas1 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:03 pm

airkas1 wrote:
LenPepperbottom wrote:
How can I go about learning more about it.

3 editors were picked, who will be writing content for studioD and not Airliners.net (I will not list their names for privacy reasons). Two of the three have been writing for JetBlue, but their articles haven't gone live yet.

studioD is a division of Demand Media that works with companiesto help build engaging content for their brands and audience. Some companies they are currently working with are: JetbBlue, Delta Airlines, and Canon. Many times, the studioD team will reach out to different divisions within Demand Media to see if there are credible editors or photographers they can work with directly. These positions are paid positions by Demand Media.

-> Here is blog the studioD team worked on for Jetblue for you to get an idea of their work: http://blog.jetblue.com/
-> Here is information on studoD: http://studiod.com/
-> Here is their fact sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFeX_ ... g2OTQ/view

As you can see, I haven't been given contact details. But I'm sure that you can figure that out from the above links if you wish to contact them.

Studio D.

I knew it.

Ytraveller

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:13 am

Can you please provide an update on the photo database and user profiles going back to desktop mode, as they're still in mobile format.

terrywade

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

A couple of questions please?

I might of missed this one on the forums, but is there any update to when the statistics relating to images in the screening queue will be back with %
acceptance ratio's etc....?

Why when viewed on my desktop do images in screening look so large and out of focus, whereas on my mobile they look fine?

Since the launch of the new site which I'm still disappointed with, as mentioned in previous posts on this forum by me, I've taken to uploading
to another well known aviation photography website, I'm not particularly bothered about hits of my images, but I'm staggered by how many more
hits my images are getting on the other site, some examples of recent images, ANET 68 other site 781, ANET 96 other site 844, every image posted on the other site are getting far greater hits? This must be a concern for ANET, and I'm sure it has something to do with the new site and people going elsewhere to look at aircraft images!

johnr

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:15 am

I'm sure that one of the only two staff members that respond to user questions on these forums will claim it's because the other site is linked to FR24 which in some but not all instances is true. I also like many others including a lot of the screeners have started uploading over there, something that in the last ten years I've had no inclination to do, but with the state of this site at the moment I thought why not.

terrywade

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:29 am

Hi Johnr

That's exactly what I thought about uploading to another site, I wouldn't really have bothered until the new ANET site came about, but
It's certainly not like it use to be and doubt it will ever be either, what a real shame and in my opinion and not a very well thought out
plan by the ANET site owners, and could well backfire for them, which it appears to be!

airkas1

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:22 am

Ytraveller wrote:
Can you please provide an update on [...] user profiles going back to desktop mode, as they're still in mobile format.

terrywade wrote:
Why when viewed on my desktop do images in screening look so large and out of focus, whereas on my mobile they look fine?

I was under the impression that this has been fixed. Are your browsers now at 100% zoom? Could you please advise what browser and version of it you use? I will then relay the info to the developers to have another look.

Ytraveller wrote:
Can you please provide an update on the photo database

What part of the photo database would you like an update of?

terrywade wrote:
I might of missed this one on the forums, but is there any update to when the statistics relating to images in the screening queue will be back with %
acceptance ratio's etc....?

I wrote it somewhere, but can't find it now :/ Anyway, this is currently in the works. the developers have provided a raw format of the info, which the screeners have given feedback on. They're working on the stats this week, but I don't know if it will go live this week as well. I'm hoping either this week or next. This is the status of the upload queue. I will ask if we can incorporate the acceptance ratio (+other) info on the upload page, like we had on the old site.

terrywade wrote:
Since the launch of the new site which I'm still disappointed with, as mentioned in previous posts on this forum by me, I've taken to uploading
to another well known aviation photography website, I'm not particularly bothered about hits of my images, but I'm staggered by how many more
hits my images are getting on the other site, some examples of recent images, ANET 68 other site 781, ANET 96 other site 844, every image posted on the other site are getting far greater hits? This must be a concern for ANET, and I'm sure it has something to do with the new site and people going elsewhere to look at aircraft images!

You're right that hits have dropped. But I don't know exactly why and I can only guess at possible reasons. My best guess would be what you wrote in your last sentence. There are concrete ideas that may be an incentive for people to start uploading more/visiting the site, but those still need to be finalized.

johnr wrote:
I'm sure that one of the only two staff members that respond to user questions on these forums will claim it's because the other site is linked to FR24 which in some but not all instances is true.

I think we're perfectly capable speaking for ourselves and don't need you to do that for us, thanks.

johnr wrote:
I also like many others including a lot of the screeners have started uploading over there, something that in the last ten years I've had no inclination to do, but with the state of this site at the moment I thought why not.

Many people, including screeners, have also uploaded on other sites for ages. That's nothing new.

terrywade

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 am

Thank You for looking into the upload queue and bringing back the statistics etc...like on the old site.

Regarding viewing the images in screening, I'm using browser IE version11 and yes I'm viewing at 100% like I do everything, the images
are totally out of proportion in size.

It's also the same if I view my screening images in Chrome and Firefox?

Thanks

airkas1

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 am

terrywade wrote:
Regarding viewing the images in screening, I'm using browser IE version11 and yes I'm viewing at 100% like I do everything, the images
are totally out of proportion in size. It's also the same if I view my screening images in Chrome and Firefox?

Thanks for the info Terry, I'll pass it on for the developers to take a look at. I'll report back when I know more.

airkas1

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Ytraveller wrote:
Can you please provide an update on [...] user profiles going back to desktop mode, as they're still in mobile format.

terrywade wrote:

I was under the impression that this has been fixed. Are your browsers now at 100% zoom? Could you please advise what browser and version of it you use? I will then relay the info to the developers to have another look.

Gents, would you be able to provide a screenshot please? It will help the developers to find the solution.

PITingres

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:13 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I noticed that your bookmark link looks outdated.

Ok, I changed the bookmark to the new line and now I stay logged in, at least after exiting / rerunning Safari.

So that's a step forward. I'll have to see whether it stays logged in over the next few days.

Edited to add: I've been away for a few days, hence the tardy reply. I didn't try login with the original bookmark, it might be working as well now, but I'm disinclined to mess with success...

Ytraveller

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Gents, would you be able to provide a screenshot please? It will help the developers to find the solution.

Photo database and profile pages appear like this on desktop:

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 pm

I would like a feature that allows the user to rank the threads with the most discussion and/or views to be listed at the top.

glen

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 pm

airkas1 wrote:

The main site has been updated to be in desktop mode, even with the window size below 1400px; however the button to select the profile is changing and thus the menus behind it become completely different:
Main page at a sive above 1400px:

Main page at a size below 1400px:
and the completely different "mobile style" menu appearing, when selecting the button out of the main page at a size below 1400px:

Maybe this helps.

airkas1

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks Glen, I've passed it on.

glen

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Also the thumbnail size on the search results page is depending on the window size:
When the browser window ist above 1400px they are at a fixed size, while their size is dynamic depending on the window size as long as your browser is below 1400px. Just below 1400px the thumbnails are even biger (and much more comfortable to look at) than above 1400px

fabrycape

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Great to see again the general screening queue! Thank you.

I noticed that on my personal Photographer Summary and in the Top Photographers section, the number of my photos in database are stopped at 1697, and also the number of views do not increase.
But in the section photos Accepted the photos are 1716, and it's correct because is growing.
So the number 1697 didn't increase.

Sorry if this problem was already mentioned, but I didn't find it.
Fabrizio

bombayduck

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:32 pm

I have the same problem, 1,289 accepted pictures. And in Photographer Summary I have 1,276.

Steve

airkas1

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks guys, I'll pass it on!

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:39 pm

When viewing photos in the database through the search function or looking at photos in the Top of Last: 24 Hrs, 48 Hrs, etc, could we go back to a single column view of photos rather than 2 columns side-by-side and also increase the thumbnail size to 200px width like on the old site? They currently scale to 137px width on my screen resolution of 1024 x 768. If I increase my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 they scale to 180px width and if I decrease my screen resolution to 800 x 600 they scale to 163px width! Could the thumbnails be at a fixed width of 200px as that would make them have the same pixel width as on the old site which I think looks better for thumbnails.

Albums also don't seem to have an option to sort their photos in any particular way as well as there being no way to delete specific photos in our own albums.

Also when viewing a photo from the database in the "Medium" view there is the "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" displayed to the right of it and the photo is displayed to the left whereas in the "Large" view the photo is centered and "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" is displayed beneath the photo. Could the "Medium" view also center the photo and have the "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" beneath the photo like in the "Large" view? Centering the photo and placing other things beneath it offers a much cleaner viewing experience!

airkas1

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:36 am

bombayduck wrote:
I have the same problem, 1,289 accepted pictures. And in Photographer Summary I have 1,276.

fabrycape wrote:
I noticed that on my personal Photographer Summary and in the Top Photographers section, the number of my photos in database are stopped at 1697, and also the number of views do not increase. But in the section photos Accepted the photos are 1716, and it's correct because is growing. So the number 1697 didn't increase.

Hey all, we pushed out an update to fix the photo counts, but it may take some time for everyone to catch up. But moving forward the counts should stay up to date.

bombayduck

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:22 am

Kas
Everything seems to be okay now with the photo counts.

Steve

airkas1

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 am

Good to hear! Thanks for the confirmation.

JannEejit

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:20 am

And I'm all good on the log-in retention now too, across my PC and Windows Phone, well done chaps !

WALmsp

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 pm

I, too, am having better success with the login now.

If I may, I would also like to request restoring/adding the ability to view photos added since my last visit. Sometimes my returns to the site do not fall within the parameters of "within the last day" or "within the last seven days." Sometimes it is in between.

PITingres

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:00 am

Yes, the login thing seems to be fixed as near as I can tell. I've been logged in all week now.

Planesmart

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 am

I have the opposite problem. I can't log out.

96adrian

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am

When can we expect the photo corner to be fixed? The photos there are still in tablet/smart phone format, and have really poor quality...

Also the menu on the front page is still not in desktop format (as mentioned above).

I do however really like the new layout now, especially with the queue stats back!

RobK

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 am

Concur with the other chaps above, log-in now fixed for me too across all platforms.

SabreHog

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:09 pm

DM wrote:
When viewing photos in the database through the search function or looking at photos in the Top of Last: 24 Hrs, 48 Hrs, etc, could we go back to a single column view of photos rather than 2 columns side-by-side and also increase the thumbnail size to 200px width like on the old site? They currently scale to 137px width on my screen resolution of 1024 x 768. If I increase my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 they scale to 180px width and if I decrease my screen resolution to 800 x 600 they scale to 163px width! Could the thumbnails be at a fixed width of 200px as that would make them have the same pixel width as on the old site which I think looks better for thumbnails.

Albums also don't seem to have an option to sort their photos in any particular way as well as there being no way to delete specific photos in our own albums.

Also when viewing a photo from the database in the "Medium" view there is the "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" displayed to the right of it and the photo is displayed to the left whereas in the "Large" view the photo is centered and "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" is displayed beneath the photo. Could the "Medium" view also center the photo and have the "Top Photos Last 24 Hours" beneath the photo like in the "Large" view? Centering the photo and placing other things beneath it offers a much cleaner viewing experience!

I second this

airkas1

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 pm

96adrian wrote:
When can we expect the photo corner to be fixed? The photos there are still in tablet/smart phone format, and have really poor quality...

96adrian wrote:
Also the menu on the front page is still not in desktop format (as mentioned above).

Both put on the list.

DM wrote:

DM wrote:

DM wrote:

All added to the list.

FLY 8

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:14 am

Ok, now my few thoughts.
I was basically a daily user of the site for 16 years. I used to be a regular member in the forums but since my airline job kept me busy I only looked at photos which I really enjoyed.
Now since the upgrade I found myself to never ever look at it again. The presentation is just terrible. The photo search function an absolute joke. Who designed that? Surely nobody who has any idea about airplanes or aviation.
For me that is just an other example how accountants ruin a once great site.
I'm about to delete my user account as I don't visit the site anymore.
Sorry, you lost me here.

TVNWZ

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Inquiry: With the new sight do you really have to have multiple threads for one topic? The old architecture loaded slower as the replies increased. I don't think you have the same problem with the new site. Threads should load the same whether there are 5 responses or 500. Correct?

RobK

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:34 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Inquiry: With the new sight do you really have to have multiple threads for one topic? The old architecture loaded slower as the replies increased. I don't think you have the same problem with the new site. Threads should load the same whether there are 5 responses or 500. Correct?

The topic was raised some weeks ago but typically ignored as usual.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1343665

TVNWZ

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Mods are closing threads with 5 or 6 pages like it is the old site. This thread has 45 pages with 2240 posts. Loads just fine. A very positive advance that is --ignored. lol.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 am

Any update on when the forums will be "tightened up"? There individual threads are ok but each of the forum sections still has at least a line of blank above and below the thread information.

Fred

airkas1

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:55 pm

RobK wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

The topic was raised some weeks ago but typically ignored as usual.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1343665

I've replied in the original thread (the one that is linked).
Also, we don't 'typically ignore' anything. To say that we do is simply false.

flipdewaf wrote:
Any update on when the forums will be "tightened up"? There individual threads are ok but each of the forum sections still has at least a line of blank above and below the thread information.

No info at the moment.

terrywade

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 pm

I've noticed that there are now some upload queue statistics under the photographers corner, but will the photo acceptance % ratio come back?

Thanks

ricox

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:54 am

I don't understand If developers/designers of this site have any problems...
Since site was changed, one of the usual critics is the unused space in display photo info, forum thread etc etc, now after months of waiting, they come out with photo statistic table exactly in the same way!!! 10cm of unused space for 1 number!!! Is awful on pc and unsusable on mobile. :evil:

airkas1

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 am

terrywade wrote:
I've noticed that there are now some upload queue statistics under the photographers corner, but will the photo acceptance % ratio come back?

This is still on the list.

mb500slc

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:52 pm

This upgrade is the most worst.
As early as one day, you should return to the original site.

airkas1

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi all, we're going to push some changes to the site in a few moments. One of those changes requires us to repopulate the photo database, which means any searches will show 0 results at first and slowly build back up to 2.7 million photos. This process is expected to take about 4 hours total to complete. Just wanted to let everyone know in advance of the update.

dutchspotter1

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 pm

Any update on the JustPremium ads? I'm seeing them more often than ever and would appreciate it if this can be removed.
Thank in advance.

Lumix

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:28 pm

terrywade wrote:

You're right that hits have dropped. But I don't know exactly why and I can only guess at possible reasons. My best guess would be what you wrote in your last sentence. There are concrete ideas that may be an incentive for people to start uploading more/visiting the site, but those still need to be finalized.

johnr wrote:
I'm sure that one of the only two staff members that respond to user questions on these forums will claim it's because the other site is linked to FR24 which in some but not all instances is true.

I think we're perfectly capable speaking for ourselves and don't need you to do that for us, thanks.

johnr wrote:
I also like many others including a lot of the screeners have started uploading over there, something that in the last ten years I've had no inclination to do, but with the state of this site at the moment I thought why not.

Many people, including screeners, have also uploaded on other sites for ages. That's nothing new.[/quote]

In answer to the reason why hits are massively down, I would make the following comments.

I'm another who rarely looks at a.net any longer despite having done so almost daily for 12 years or more and having around 5000 photos in the database. Basically, it's not a pleasant experience due to the jumbled up layout after you search for anything.

Before the 'upgrade' one could get a nice orderly list with thumbnails one below each other and on a typical screen could see perhaps 10 at a time before scrolling down. The most important part of the info is the Registration, and now you have to hunt for it. There's no logic to the layout whatsoever.

Now it's all over the place with double spacing and spread all around under sub-headings. There's no need and it looks a mess! No wonder hits are down.

The info should be laid out similar to before. ie:

Regn:
Type:
C/N:
Comment:

As above, this covers around an inch or so of space.

Then, if you click on the thumbnail, you get a larger version of the photo but not necessarily the full size version. That might involve yet another click. Now you have to scroll down the page to find the info. again the Registration is somewhere over on the RH side of the page. It's infuriating to say the least.

Underneath the photo there is a scrolling horizontal bar containing more of your photos that detracts from what you are actually looking at. As for the info, you then need to scroll further down the page and again the layout is a mess.

I can well see why a.net regulars are departing to other similar databases en-mass.

As others have commented, the previous site had it's problems but at least it was nice to look at.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the matter...