Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keesje
Topic Author

New Helicopter/VTOL Forum, Good Idea?

Sat May 29, 2004 9:42 pm

Good bigger and smaller improvements have been made to the forums recently IMO.

Perhaps in a next round a.net creators could consider adding a helicopter/ VTOL forum ?

Developments seems not to have been covered by the other forums. I think it is a very interesting industry. Lots of great designs from all over the world, military as well as civil, lots of specialized operators etc ..

Lots of developments going on in many different areas

What do you think ?

cicadajet

RE: New Helicopter/VTOL Forum, Good Idea?

Sat May 29, 2004 10:26 pm

Its certainly a good idea in my view in general. The interest is out there for the subject matter.

There are several helicopter forums - (and even Lighter-than-Air - blimp) sites/lists/groups on the net with lively and informative discussion from engineers, enthusiasts, industry folks etc. It might even bring in some contributors to A.net that would be valuable to the other forums in the long run.

As A.net is the prime site for photos of these examples, and features well designed board it would be convenient in theory anyway.

Only issue I would see is whether these more "fringe" subject areas (as compared to the volume of postings/interest in airliners) could attract enough of the right folks soon enough to establish a core community with some knowledge of the subject matter to make it worthwhile for them to survive possible dilution of posts/topics on the low(er) value end in the beginning. I almost tend to think you'd need an existing community - perhaps tired of their clunky list-serve or directly transplanted from an existing site - to give this a good chance. If that happened, I think such a forum would do well here.

Tom

keesje
Topic Author

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:18 pm

Well I can put up some interresting subjects ..

Are there "enough of the right folks soon enough to establish a core community with some knowledge of the subject matter to make it worthwhile for them to survive possible dilution of posts/topics on the low(er) value end in the beginning." ?

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

rgds

keesje

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin K. Work - AirTeamImages

wgw2707

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:17 pm

I'd like to see such a forum... Perhaps a combined Helicopter/Lighter Than Air forum would do the trick?

-WGW2707

kc7mmi

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:50 pm

It would have my vote.
-Benjamin

QantasA332

Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:25 am

Definitely a good idea. VTOL vehicles certainly make up a large portion of aviation, and I'd love to see them included in their own forum here on A.net! Moderators, would a seperate helicopter/VTOL forum be feasible?

Cheers,
QantasA332

727200er

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:26 am

Mark me in for a yes vote

filler

keesje
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:12 am

So who will decide if there will ever be such a forum ?

Q330

Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:44 am

I'd certainly like to see a VTOL forum as I love helicopters and tiltrotors. Of course, I'm not sure if it would generate enough interest to be worthwhile.

-Q

heliflyerPDC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:16 pm

you have my vote , for this  Smile I'm following a course to become a helicopter pilot so I'd probably use/visit the forum regulary
greetz PDC

bhmbaglock

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:55 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. A lot of rotorcraft related threads that currently should be in Mil Av start in Civ Av and this would eliminate the confusion.

Plus, we need a place for the following alternates to A v B

V-22 lovers vs V-22 haters

EADS v Sikorsky et al

Just joking of course.

UH60FtRucker

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting Keesje (Thread starter):
Perhaps in a next round a.net creators could consider adding a helicopter/ VTOL forum ?

Oh hell ya!!!! Abso-fucking-lutely!!!!!

What a fantastic idea. I don't know how much traffic it would get, but I'd definitely frequent it!

-UH60

David L

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Q330 (Reply 8):
I'm not sure if it would generate enough interest to be worthwhile.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):
I don't know how much traffic it would get,

I see that as the problem. There's no doubt helicopters are a fascinating subject but what proportion of Military, Tech-Ops and Civil posts is helicopter-related? Pretty small, I suspect.  Sad

I think there would be more justification for separating Military and Space or Hobbies and Flight Simulation (not that I'd expect anyone from Tech-Ops or Military to care about that  Smile ), for example. But I think those have been suggested before to no avail.

Tom12

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:52 pm

I think it is a great idea. A VTOL forum sounds like a good idea and would make for interesting reading.

Tom

Newark777

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:21 pm

Honestly, I doubt there would be enough traffic to justify it.

Harry

keesje
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:33 am

I think for aviation enthousiasts a helicopter forum would be a real nice addition & if the helicopter community starts to post a respectable stream of mails it could be a ral addition. If it doesn´t it could be stopped after say 3 months.

Rotorimage

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:46 am

Vote me in.....(obviously)...*grin*

keesje
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Any progress on this?

I still think it is a varied, dynamic and interesting aeronautics area and could provide further added value to airliners.net

To me it seems there is clear lack off coverage at this moment.

I´m sure me and a few other (anyone?) would be happy set up a forum base by starting up & sustaining a couple of dozen interesting and /or challenging threads and promote them elsewhere.

History, R&D, orders, civil, military, lots of types, lots of roles, countries, accidents, competition, just like fixed wing.

How about a try out for say 3-4 months? Maybe let a small group set up a number of threads in advance before publishing the forum?

If it doesn´t work the threads can be moved to civil / militairy / tech and the forum deleted..

The risk don´t seem to high I think.

Moderators ?

keesje
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:57 am

I have the feeling helicopters is an increasingly interesting part of aviation, that would be forum wise easy to isolate and attract an new group of members.

It would not run as well as civil & militairy but then "travel, polls and preferences" is good enough with 10-20 posts per day. Hobby is sustainable with only 5-10 posts a day.

Some might say views & posts are not the only thing.

But if so, what is?

A think a helicopter / VTOL forum would explore a dynamic and big established industry / community. The photo's are already there.

Progress / growth is needed, why not give it a try?

deeplight

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:08 pm

ok everyone - you beat me to the punch. We are adding a Heli / VTOL very soon.
Best Regards
Paulo

keesje
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 19):
ok everyone - you beat me to the punch. We are adding a Heli / VTOL very soon.
Best Regards
Paulo

WOW took 4 years

Great! Thanks !  biggrin 

I will start a bunch of good threads & promote as soon as possible

bigthumbsup 

TupolevTu154

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Ok, Keesje has got his chopper forum, how about a general aviation forum?  Wink

deeplight

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 pm

The GA will be added at the same time as the Heli /Vtol sections. I cant say when this will launch but it is very high on my priority list.
Stay tuned and thanks all your support.
Best
p

keesje
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 19):
We are adding a Heli / VTOL very soon.

Ok w'll wait! I made a list of Topics to start.

keesje
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 am

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 22):
The GA will be added at the same time as the Heli /Vtol sections. I cant say when this will launch but it is very high on my priority list.
Stay tuned and thanks all your support.
Best
p

Hi Paulo, where ever you are. Destiny caught up with you. I hope you've found rest and peace and your loved ones are able to overcome grief and find new happiness in the future. I haven''t forgot you.

alwaysontherun

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Hope they still go ahead with a chopper forum.

The other day somebody mentioned a special ATC forum as well………..a good idea too.

### "I am always on the Run"###

KingFriday013

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 am

Just came across this thread. I think it's a great idea and would be interested in seeing even a trial forum.

Quoting Keesje (Reply 24):
Hi Paulo, where ever you are. Destiny caught up with you. I hope you've found rest and peace and your loved ones are able to overcome grief and find new happiness in the future. I haven''t forgot you.

None of us have forgotten you.

-J.

Viscount724

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

The subject of this website is "Airliners.net". In my opinion it has already deviated too far from the intended subject. Or maybe the name of the site should be changed to something more general?

2H4

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 27):
The subject of this website is "Airliners.net". In my opinion it has already deviated too far from the intended subject.

The variety of aircraft types in our database enhances the site. If the database contained only photos of airliners, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular or successful as it has been. Just look at the number of photos in the "top of last 24 hours" that contain military subjects, for example. People visit the site because of the variety. Not in spite of it.

Or maybe the name of the site should be changed to something more general?

It would be an extraordinarily bad idea to change the name of the site and abandon the brand equity and name recognition that has been established over the years.

Viscount724

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 28):
Or maybe the name of the site should be changed to something more general?

It would be an extraordinarily bad idea to change the name of the site and abandon the brand equity and name recognition that has been established over the years.

That's probably true to some extent, although many companies have changed their names. On the other hand, those not familiar with the site, seeing the current name, would be less-inclined to visit it if their primary interest is in aircraft types other than airliners. That's often the reason for corporate name changes -- when their business has expanded well beyond their original products or services.

keesje
Topic Author

Re: New Helicopter/VTOL Forum, Good Idea?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Years pass by

Memories go back to deeplight who's no longer with us :sorry: Hope his family re energized.

If there is an occasional strategy review by the new owners of the site, it would be nice if they can re-consider this interesting and extensive playing field as a separate forum.

Lots of developments all over the world in different segments.

I think it would really add something for the global helicopter / vertical lift community.

qf789

Re: New Helicopter/VTOL Forum, Good Idea?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm

This thread will be locked. Please keep in mind that threads that not have any posts for 6 months or more are considered inactive and any posts made will either be deleted and/or the thread locked. We suggest you start a new thread for discussion and provide a link for the old one. If you feel the need the comment needs to go in the old thread you must obtain permission from a moderator before posting.