Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Question About Linking

Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:56 am

OK, I know how to make a link active by enclosing the URL in brackets, but isn't there a way to "hide" the URL and have the link show up as a word or phrase?

Rather than having a post look like this:

"Here is a route map showing all the cities served nonstop by Southwest from AUS:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=aus-dal%2C%0D%0Aaus-hou%2C%0D%0Aaus-maf%2C%0D%0Aaus-lbb%2C%0D%0Aaus-hrl%2C%0D%0Aaus-san%2C%0D%0Aaus-mco%2C%0D%0Aaus-tpa%2C%0D%0Aaus-bna%2C%0D%0Aaus-bwi%2C%0D%0Aaus-rdu%2C%0D%0Aaus-lax%2C%0D%0Aaus-phx%2C%0D%0Aaus-las%2C%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=navy&PATH-UNITS=mi&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&MARKER=1&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE="

I want my post to look like this:

"Here is a route map showing all the cities served nonstop by Southwest from AUS"

So the person reading the post would just click on the phrase route map and they would be directed to the actual link.

I could have sworn I've seen several posts in the past that use this format, but I can't figure out the code for this and I did look on the help page.

Thanks!

LoneStarMike

GOT

RE: Question About Linking

Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:51 am

I guess this is the way you want it to be: Here is a route map showing all the cities served nonstop by Southwest from AUS.

And this is the way to do it: *a href="URLTOTHESITE" target=_new* What the link should say*/a* Just replace * with < and >

Hope this helps
GOT

LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:45 am

OK, let me see if I can do this.

1943 AA Advertisement

YES! That is what I was trying to do. Thank you for helping me, GOT.

Suggestion to the webmaster:

As you can see from GOT's response, the symbol for the bracket that I'm supposed to replace the * with doesn't show up in his actual post. (At least not on my browser) All I see is:

Replace * with

Having posted on this site for two years, though, I knew which symbol he was trying to tell me to use. However it might be confusing for new members since they can't "see" the symbol they are supposed to use.

Perhaps when your time permits, (or should I say IF your time permits) you could include the instructions on how to do this on the help page, where the bracket symbols do show up. Obviously this is not a top priority, merely a suggestion.

Thanks again, GOT for the help.

LoneStarMike

GOT

Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:11 pm

That's really strange that you can't see the brackets, because they show up for me. As you said, there might be a problem in you browser, otherwise they shouldn't show up for me either.

Brgds
GOT

erasmus

Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:29 pm

just type: What the link should
say

Now how did I type the previous sentence?
There's an other question for you!

Regards,
Erasmus.

erasmus

Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:08 pm

Another attempt:

just type <a href="URLTOTHESITE" target=_new>What
the link should say</a>

erasmus

Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:09 pm

Yep, it worked the last time!
That was not as easy as it looks!!

LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:42 pm

I think part of my problem is what I use to access the internet. It's not really a computer with a modem and a monitor. It's something called WebTV. It looks like a VCR and it's got cables attached to my television and another line that I plug in to my phone jack. So when I surf the web, I'm not seeing things on a monitor, I'm seeing them on my television.

It comes with a wireless keyboard, which is nice, because I can sit on the couch and surf the web rather than sitting in a chair in front of a computer. It hooks up to any size TV. I have a friend who has WebTV, also, and he attached his to his big screen TV.

Unfortunately, to say that it's not exactly the latest in technology is an understatement, and sometimes it causes me to see things differenty.

The resolution isn't as clear and sharp as you would have on a computer. For instance, when I go to the message boards and I'm on a real computer, I can see the stars beside the posts that are rated. When I look at the same screen on WebTV, the stars look more like little gold dots.

That may be why I cant "see" the brackets in your post, GOT. What's strange, though, is that in Erasmus' first post on this thread, I don't see any brackets, but in his second post, I do see brackets.

Oh well... at least I got my question answered and I know how to do what I was trying to do, so that's all that matters. Anyway, thanks for the help. Take care, guys.

LoneStarMike