Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rw774477
Topic Author

Priceline And Other Ads On This Forum

Sat May 25, 2002 10:51 am

they are very annoying and block out needed links on the page for way too long.

I don't mind the ads .. but don't detract from the functionality of the site.

I fear we may lose some valuable contributors here

rw774477

Sabena 690

RE: Priceline And Other Ads On This Forum

Sat May 25, 2002 4:46 pm

Not if you subscribe as a first class member.

I don't have the money for it now, but will probably do it in the future.

jwenting

Sat May 25, 2002 5:22 pm

Not a lot of people will pay up only to get rid of banners, SN.
They'd rather go to another site, of which there are several (but naming them here will just get the post deleted so I won't do that...).
A.net might be the largest, but that might not last if the competition keeps growing at the pace it is, at the cost of a.net contributors.

administrator

Sat May 25, 2002 10:43 pm

Jwenting,

Any such competition can only expire. I know how much it costs to run a site like this one and if others are trying to copy what we do here at Airliners.net, they'd better have a good business plan. Fact is, unless we were heavily sponsored by the University here, Airliners.net would be unable to continue. It's easy in the beginning when databases are small and visitors are few but when the bandwidth and hardware requirements go up, you'd better not try to survive on ads alone, it will never pay the bills. Our "competitors" will soon find this out as well.

The First Class Membership is a way for Airliners.net to survive in the long run. We've been around the longest and did not crumble when the online ad market died like our toughest competition at that time. We will stay strong and remain a high quality service for visitors and photographers far into the future.

Sincerely,
Johan Lundgren
Editor Airliners.net

jwenting

Wed May 29, 2002 11:35 pm

I know that well, Johan. I'm working on website development myself profesionally so I know the cost involved (and how hard it is to get paying customers to your site).
If you offered some other way to donate apart from PayPal (whom I won't trust with my data if it were the last way on earth to pay for anything) I would get you some to help out.
Competing sites may or may not survive (I don't know what backing they have, financially or otherwise), but in the meantime are taking away from the potential userbase of airliners.net (and thus the potential pool of paying users).

You're doing a good job as it is (despite the occasional downtime, shame you can't afford to run multiple boxes in parallel to avoid that (would also help in load ballancing).