Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N14AZ
Topic Author

YouTube Star crushing German‘s largest political party?

Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm

YouTube Star crushing German‘s largest political party? Interesting discussions in Germany about this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... Y1lZQsyuSQ

The video is rather long and in German language (of course) and I don’t want to comment on his statements and conclusions.

But what I would like to state is that I am delighted to see such political interest by young people. I didn’t expect something like this but it’s wonderful, independent from the question if you share his opinion or not.

P1aneMad

Re: YouTube Star crushing German‘s largest political party?

Fri May 24, 2019 1:08 pm

How can we opine on the subject or even understand what you or this video is on about without actually speaking German?
Is there any source in English about it and what issues are addressed and in which manner that "Germany's largest political party" is getting "crushed" whatever that means?
Are you sure this is the best forum to bring this subject up?

N14AZ
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
How can we opine on the subject or even understand what you or this video is on about without actually speaking German?
Is there any source in English about it and what issues are addressed and in which manner that "Germany's largest political party" is getting "crushed" whatever that means?

https://m.dw.com/en/germanys-cdu-slams- ... a-48839177

I am sorry. I know there are several German, Swiss, Austrian and Dutch members active here. I didn’t expect much interest from other members.

P1aneMad wrote:
Are you sure this is the best forum to bring this subject up?

It’s actually the only forum (on a.net) where I can bring this subject up. But maybe I misunderstand your question and you think I should have started such a thread on a German forum.

petertenthije

Fri May 24, 2019 1:34 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
Noone is forcing you to reply.

This is an international forum. There are plenty of people for whom German is their primary language. Plenty more still for whom German is a second/third/fourth/... language.

P1aneMad

Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Actually this is an English speaking forum. Otherwise there is no need to write in English, just write in the language of your choice so only German/Dutch/whatever speakers can participate.

Jetty

Fri May 24, 2019 2:40 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
Actually this is an English speaking forum. Otherwise there is no need to write in English, just write in the language of your choice so only German/Dutch/whatever speakers can participate.

It might surprise you but many people speak 2/3/4 languages, thus many people on this English speaking forum will be able to understand the video and talk about it in English.

P1aneMad

Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Why not post in the language that this video is on then? Why in English for a discussion that only German speakers can participate?

Jetty

Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
Why not post in the language that this video is on then? Why in English for a discussion that only German speakers can participate?

Because many are (much) more fluent in English yet able to understand YouTube level German.

mham001

Fri May 24, 2019 4:15 pm

This thread is a disaster. Brought to mind some how-to Youtubes I ran across recently with English titles but completely spoken in Hindi and no subtitles. Clickbait.

Tugger

Fri May 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Please people, while the site and thread language is English no one ever said everyone must be able to participate in every thread and discussion. Honestly, posting a German language link is no different that posting a doctoral thesis written in English on the intricacies of the Roman economy. Not everyone would understand and not everyone who did would want to participate.

If you understand the stuff being communicated, go for it, participate. if you don't why complain?

Tugg

Tugger

Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm

Well hell.... Welcome to the modern world!! I just learned something new....
I had thought there might be some way to translate the video, I mean they are already working on instant language translation for live conversations.... Well Youtube already offers translation via captioning for their videos...

Cool. 8-)

Go to the Video.
At the bottom of the video there should be a "CC" box, click that.
Goto the "Settings" gear and select "Subtitles/CC", then goto "Auto translate" and select the language you want from the list.

If you need more detailed info try here:
https://ignitevisibility.com/how-to-eas ... languages/

So all those complaining about not being able to understand blah blah blah... well in fact you can.
Enjoy! :wave:

Tugg

mham001

Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Cliff Notes: SPD and CDU lie.

And that translation doesn't much work with German grammar.

masi1157

Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Will anybody here try to discuss the content of the Youtube video, or just the fact it is in german?

Gruß, masi1157

Tugger

Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 pm

mham001 wrote:
Cliff Notes: SPD and CDU lie.

And that translation doesn't much work with German grammar.

Yeah, it ain't perfect, that's for sure. I actually had to slow down the video in some parts to keep up with some of what he was saying.

masi1157 wrote:
Will anybody here try to discuss the content of the Youtube video, or just the fact it is in german?

Gruß, masi1157

Sorry. :melting:

Tugg

masi1157

Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Tugger wrote:
Sorry. :melting:

Your posts were among the very few you need not be sorry for.

Gruß, masi1157

mham001

Fri May 24, 2019 9:38 pm

masi1157 wrote:

Gruß, masi1157

Why don't you start, you are among the most qualified? The OP didn't leave us much. Lying politicians? Ha, that is not anything new anywhere in the world. Personally i don't have much to say about politics of other countries here, even though I was once a resident. I believe, contrary to many Europeans here that that it an internal affair. I do listen however.

N14AZ
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 pm

mham001 wrote:
masi1157 wrote:

Gruß, masi1157

Why don't you start, you are among the most qualified? The OP didn't leave us much. Lying politicians? Ha, that is not anything new anywhere in the world.

The accusations in that video are the usual ones:
- not enough efforts to fight climate change
- Financial gap between rich and poor people
- not enough money being put into education
- corruption
- incompetence

But that’s not the reason why I posted this video here. So far I had the feeling that young people are not much interested in politics. Maybe we are seeing the start of a change. Maybe this is the renaissance of some kind of hippies? Not with Volkswagen Beetles and guitars but with iPads and YouTube-accounts?

The guy in that video is very clever. At the end of the video he admits that even when all young people follow his advice of not voting the established political parties, it will not have much of an influence since the group of elder voters is much larger. So he asks his followers to talk to their grandparents and to show them his video (ooops, wonder how they will think about this F-word, you can hear in the video regularly...). He says something like „because grandparents love their grandchildren and would do everything to make sure they will have a good future.“

Again, what I really like is that young people seem to get more interested in politics again and that’s a good thing.

Furthermore, I like how he tries to proof everything he says with sources. My daughters said to me they will check all sources (... that will take a lot of time..). Are we maybe even seeing the end of the fake news era?

N14AZ
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Tugger wrote:
Well hell.... Welcome to the modern world!! I just learned something new....
I had thought there might be some way to translate the video, I mean they are already working on instant language translation for live conversations.... Well Youtube already offers translation via captioning for their videos...

Cool. 8-)

Go to the Video.
At the bottom of the video there should be a "CC" box, click that.
Goto the "Settings" gear and select "Subtitles/CC", then goto "Auto translate" and select the language you want from the list.

If you need more detailed info try here:
https://ignitevisibility.com/how-to-eas ... languages/

So all those complaining about not being able to understand blah blah blah... well in fact you can.
Enjoy! :wave:

Tugg

Thanks for this information. I didn’t know this feature. So thank you.

seat64k

Sat May 25, 2019 5:26 pm

I guess I'm confused by this. On the one hand, I read (usually posts on fb from climate alarmist sites) that Germany now generates 100% of it's energy from renewables (I have a hard time believing this?), and on the other hand the kids are claiming Germany is not doing enough. Similar story in the UK. On the one hand the government's figures show us a steady drop in both air pollution [1] and greenhouse gasses [2], and on the other hand we have the swedish girl claiming "nothing is being done" [3] and the moron politicians falling over themselves to be seen next to her.

Then we have these morons "Extinction Rebellion" [4] demanding zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2025.

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/air-quality-statistics
[2] https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/final-uk-greenhouse-gas-emissions-national-statistics-1990-2017
[3] https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/greta-thunberg-slams-uk-s-climate-change-stance-in-speech-to-mps-saying-nothing-is-being-done-a4124336.html
[4]] https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/02/do-it-now-uk-must-set-zero-carbon-target-for-2050-say-official-advisers

For one thing, it seems like the people making the claims are so young that they've only ever lived in times when air quality have been pretty damn good in the greater scheme of things. They never look at the houses they live in and wonder why each one has a chimney. I'm old enough to remember what it was like in the 90s and further back. To claim that nothing has been done is absurd. And zero emissions? Really? Do they not realise humans exhale carbon dioxide?

It seems to me that Europe as a whole has done and amazing job, even if falling short of some very ambitious targets. We're fighting over the last mile, while in the most populous parts of the world, the race has barely started. And we haven't even started talking about the up-and-coming manufacturing markets. As China's population is increasingly educated and engaged in white collar work, more and more manufacturing is shifting to emerging markets like Vietnam and Indonesia, with predictable impacts on their already challenging situations. Getting the UK or Europe to dramatically reduce its greenhouse emissions from what it is now is not going to do much to stave off the climate apocalypse if we can't deal with this problem first.

anrec80

Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm

P1aneMad wrote:

Come on guys, why do we need this argument even? The video has subtitles in German, and also - there is auto-translate (in Subtitles menu), so that you get auto-translated English subtitles and still make sense of the video. The translation may be a bit weird, but it’s fine and understandable.

aviationaware

Sun May 26, 2019 3:09 am

I certainly don't sympathize with this kid's underlying ideology, but I must say I rather enjoyed how the politicians embarrassed themselves in their desperation to reply to this video.

N14AZ
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 pm

seat64k wrote:
It seems to me that Europe as a whole has done and amazing job, even if falling short of some very ambitious targets. We're fighting over the last mile, while in the most populous parts of the world, the race has barely started. And we haven't even started talking about the up-and-coming manufacturing markets. As China's population is increasingly educated and engaged in white collar work, more and more manufacturing is shifting to emerging markets like Vietnam and Indonesia, with predictable impacts on their already challenging situations. Getting the UK or Europe to dramatically reduce its greenhouse emissions from what it is now is not going to do much to stave off the climate apocalypse if we can't deal with this problem first.

I think sooner or later the focus will shift from avoiding greenhouse emissions to kind of „end-of-pipe“-solutions, e.g. “capturing“ CO2 or absorbing it, example: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06 ... rectly-air

Why? Because I don’t think „we“, i.e. humanity, we will manage to reduce greenhouse gases sufficiently. We will simply not make it. As you said, it doesn’t help if let’s say Germany reaches all targets in that respect but other larger nations do not. Once „we“ realize we cannot reach our targets by reducing greenhouse gases in due time, governments will put their... well, our money into „End-of-pipe“-solutions , similar to solid waste disposal or sewage disposal.

aviationaware wrote:
I certainly don't sympathize with this kid's underlying ideology, but I must say I rather enjoyed how the politicians embarrassed themselves in their desperation to reply to this video.

The same here. Their reactions clearly show how they have lost all contact.

N14AZ
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 am

Well, we will never know how much impact this video actually had but the two largest political parties lost significantly during yesterday’s election: CDU - 6.4%, SPD - 11.5, whereas the Greens have +9.8%. I guess that those who voted for SPD five years ago but not this year are identical with the new voters of the Greens.

I know of at least two cases in my family/friends where teenage kids managed to convince their parents not to vote for CDU or SPD, which was the recommendation of that video made by Rezo (and no, I am not talking about me). In the German press someone called it the Rezo-effect.

Jalap

Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Again, what I really like is that young people seem to get more interested in politics again and that’s a good thing.

I don't share your optimism.
In Belgium (well, in Flanders, only) it is the far right that is doing the best job on social media. And polls show that the far right is the most popular choice for the young people.
Social media, imo, is not a good place to learn about politics...

Kilopond

Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 pm

The vast majority of „westeners“ underwent a neomarxist lobotomy and really feel comfortable about being brain-wahed as long as they get distracted by enough bread and circusses. But as some of them now dare to „sapere aude“ the ruling system is panicking and spreading all kinds of conspiracy theories. Was it really the Moscow Kremlin personell who kicked off the malicious Killery monster? Sapere aude!

mham001

Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 am

seat64k wrote:
I guess I'm confused by this. On the one hand, I read (usually posts on fb from climate alarmist sites) that Germany now generates 100% of it's energy from renewables (I have a hard time believing this?),

Not even close but that is indeed what Germans like to lead you to believe. The truth is actually rather eye-opening, they burn as much or more coal than the US and of a much dirtier type. They claim 25% (or more) renewable energy but that includes burning the majority of their yearly timber production under the 'biomass' category. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in ... production

aviationaware

Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am

N14AZ wrote:
Well, we will never know how much impact this video actually had but the two largest political parties lost significantly during yesterday’s election: CDU - 6.4%, SPD - 11.5, whereas the Greens have +9.8%. I guess that those who voted for SPD five years ago but not this year are identical with the new voters of the Greens.

I know of at least two cases in my family/friends where teenage kids managed to convince their parents not to vote for CDU or SPD, which was the recommendation of that video made by Rezo (and no, I am not talking about me). In the German press someone called it the Rezo-effect.

I don't think it had all that much impact. The main thing is that the German people are fed up with their government coasting on not actually doing anything because Angela Merkel is too afraid to make a misstep and be supplanted and then there's this issue with CDU and SPD not really being all that compatible anymore because the SPD leadership is under an incredible amount of pressure from its Marxist youth organization and the CDU seems to be not interested in all that much except keeping totally inept imbeciles like Peter Altmeier in office. Combine that with the Greens becoming less extreme on social issues and their climate change position moving to the mainstream for the well-off, and you have the perfect storm for the coalition parties.

seat64k wrote:
I guess I'm confused by this. On the one hand, I read (usually posts on fb from climate alarmist sites) that Germany now generates 100% of it's energy from renewables (I have a hard time believing this?)

That's because it is a propaganda lie. The truth is, there are certain specific days with a lot of sun and a lot of wind where Germany produces enough energy from renewable sources to cover the average daily power consumption. That's all it means, which is of course absolutely nothing because it isn't sustainable over longer periods.

Meanwhile, Germany is phasing out subsidies for renewables resulting in renewable power generation deployment to basically a standstill. The only source that is still growing at high rates is offshore wind power, however this is so tiny in absolute terms that it has very little impact. At the same time, Germany has abandoned nuclear power because the pansy Greens managed to scare enough Germans into believing that something like Fukushima could happen in Germany, which is of course utter horseshit, but anyway. The Greens of course shot themselves in the foot nicely with this, because nuclear power is clean and coal is not. Whoops! Who'd have thunk.

Also, the coal burned in German plants is mostly lignite, the mining of which is an important employment factor in Germany's largest state. Unfortunately lignite is far dirtier than bituminous coal due to it's much lower energy density.

The thing is, Germany has a lot of renewable power capacity. But an unfortunate fact of renewables is that they are not reliable, and so you need a lot more capacity than actual demand. Germany has more than 50% of its power capacity in renewables now, but of course this does not translate to 50% renewable power throughout the year. Much rather, it is around 33% - which means that the renewable installed capacity has about half the efficiency of nuke and coal. That's pretty bad.

Full disclosure: I don't care about CO2 emissions, but I still think coal power production should end to keep the air clean and breathable and because it's inherently low tech medieval crap.