Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger

Re: Trump's losses in business

Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm

winginit wrote:
Tugger wrote:
However over time, if allowed to continue, it will impact the Chinese manufactures as higher prices will change the consumer buying habits.

Is there any historical precedent for that latter outcome that you've stated? If the thought is that tariffs will genuinely change the habits of the American consumer from buying Chinese to buying American that's complete nonsense: they'll go from buying Chinese to buying Vietnamese or what have you.

Apologies for being way off topic and I will end this portion of posting here after this.
To reply to you and zakuivcustom and casinterest:

I am fine with "Made in Vietnam" or Ireland, or India, or Morocco, or Brazil, and yes also "Made in the USA". But I am not a fool and believe everything can a should be made domestically, I want global trade and production. But I also do not like predatory production sources and China, I feel, has become one. Forced technology transfer, no IP firm protections, production that relies on methods the world has shunned (environmental, workforce, waste etc. problems). They are big and capable enough that they do not still need protections or to be allowed to abuse trade rules. And a lot of the world has treated them with kid gloves, some out of fear, others out of a desire to access their enormous internal market, and there is even historical shame of the abuse of China by early colonial traders. Enough of that. Trade is a great thing, if you participate on equal footing and rules. I fully support the intent of the Iran deal we had, more trade and integration in the global economy is the best process for the world to continue on.

So sure, by China made stuff, but in balance and with being aware of any missing reciprocal respect and trade.

There is at least one historical precedent that I know of: The USA. For many years after the colonies became a force of production and as the USA came into being and expanded, we had a very robust trade that disrupted quite a few global trade networks. The USA displaced home production for several categories of production, then as labor and land and additional costs grew, the cost advantage shrank. But the USA was so successful because it had lower costs for production and greater scaleability combined with strong technological development that increased production capacity even more.

Of course the depth that modern global production goes further than when the USA was a production power house. It is now fairly easy/cheap to take one million "things" (components needed for other items) and ship them to another country where they are integrated into another thing then sent somewhere else and built into something else and "final assembly" can then occur almost anywhere needed. The USA still exports a tremendous amount of goods, some $2.5 trillion worth, it just happens that being the wealthiest nation on earth we are at the end of the of the chain and so the import back into the USA is for higher value than what was exported ($3.1 trillion in imports).

Tugg

winginit

Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
1,. Who gave him loans after these losses, and what was their reasoning

The importance of this question can't be understated. If Donald Trump lied to financial institutions (Deutsche Bank, for example) about his wealth in order to secure loans, he should face criminal charges of mortgage fraud that can result in up to thirty years in prison.

Tugger

Fri May 10, 2019 10:10 pm

winginit wrote:
casinterest wrote:

The importance of this question can't be understated. If Donald Trump lied to financial institutions (Deutsche Bank, for example) about his wealth in order to secure loans, he should face criminal charges of mortgage fraud that can result in up to thirty years in prison.

This is silly. Why is the USA able to be $21 trillion in debt? Who keeps giving us loans? Why is/was Amazon able to succeed? Amazon lost money for years, for more than a decade, and yet people kept giving it money, making loans to it. Hell, look at Sears!

I mean come on.

Tugg

winginit

Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Tugger wrote:
winginit wrote:
casinterest wrote:

This is silly. Why is the USA able to be $21 trillion in debt? Who keeps giving us loans? Why is/was Amazon able to succeed? Amazon lost money for years, for more than a decade, and yet people kept giving it money, making loans to it. Hell, look at Sears!

I mean come on.

Tugg

Surely you're smart enough to spot the different between Amazon or our country lawfully securing loans when compared to an individual lying about their assets in order to secure a loan?

If, today, you Tugger go to the bank and intentionally lie about your assets in order to secure a loan, you have committed a crime and should go to jail - that's the law. period. Why would it be silly for Donald Trump not suffer the same consequence if he has indeed broken the law? Again, it's the law - your opinions on it or whether you think it's 'silly' is entirely irrelevant to what the consequences around breaking it should be.

Do better.

Magog

Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 am

I’m sure that the banks obtained copies of his tax returns. That’s pretty basic.

Tugger

Sat May 11, 2019 5:31 am

winginit wrote:
Surely you're smart enough to spot the different between Amazon or our country lawfully securing loans when compared to an individual lying about their assets in order to secure a loan?

If, today, you Tugger go to the bank and intentionally lie about your assets in order to secure a loan, you have committed a crime and should go to jail - that's the law. period. Why would it be silly for Donald Trump not suffer the same consequence if he has indeed broken the law? Again, it's the law - your opinions on it or whether you think it's 'silly' is entirely irrelevant to what the consequences around breaking it should be.

Do better.

Well the bank knew what it was doing and actually did due diligence and researched the actual worth. And they still decided to extend the loans.
He reportedly claimed he was worth around $3 billion when the bank found he was actually worth about $788 million in 2005. In 2010, a Deutsche Bank team also reportedly concluded he was likely inflating some of his real estate assets by up to 70 percent. Despite the alleged lying found in both instances, the bank approved his requested loans.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-lie ... ans-report

Probably because, like the USA and Amazon, they were confident the brand was strong enough and was likely to remain so and succeed. It is one thing for someone to say something or present something that is not true, but, as the saying goes "let the buyer beware". Now forged or false documents being presented, that were depended on, that is a different story. But at this scale few... no... no institution operates that way. They all do due diligence or they are delinquent in their duties as we all know, financial institutions of scale ALL know, that those seeking loans present a "perfect" unreal version of themselves. It could be a lie in plain vernacular, but I sure have never done anything but present a "best of" when I am asking for a loan.

So yes, I "do better". We all "do better" when we present ourselves for scrutiny by others.

Tugg

WarRI1
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 am

Magog.

I'm all for seeing Trump's tax records,

Let us leave it at that, so should we all. We agree on wanting to see his taxes, which would solve all this speculation.

MaverickM11

Re: trumps losses in business.

Mon May 13, 2019 2:16 am

seahawk wrote:
Not paying taxes shows he is good at his job. If he would pay taxes, he would suck.

EY writing down all its investments show it's good at investing in airlines :rotfl:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If you’re in commercial real estate and can’t show losses for tax purposes, you’re in the wrong business.

GF

If he showed a billion in losses that means he and/or his partners have billions in real estate or other businesses so...where is it?

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Not paying taxes shows he is good at his job. If he would pay taxes, he would suck.

If he were good at his ‘job’ debts would be paid to creditors and he would be in good standing with banks in his own country. FFS

Well here in the upside down losing millions upon millions and stiffing thousands of creditors is actually smart business now

afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I think the purpose of obtaining his tax returns aren't to portraid him as a bad business men - we already know that because he made less money than he would have been on the stock market doing nothing - or that he isn't as wealthy as he claims - we already know that because of some court cases, the aim is to get to understand how his business is actually financed. Apparently, he is afraid that documents will be released by Deutsche Bank. According to Donald Trump Jr., the Trump organization is greatly dependent on influx of Russian money.

Yes, we already know that the stock market greatly outperformed the real estate market during that time period, but go ahead and call him a bad businessman and compare his industry to another one if it makes you feel better. I guess Southwest was a bad airline in the last decade if the tech industry and companies like Facebook and Google made more.

When exactly was he a *good* businessman, other than licensing his name on crap

trpmb6 wrote:
Thinking this will change anything, or that this wasn't already known to those who voted for him, is kind of silly.

I don't think anyone is under the delusion this will make a lick of difference to his voters. He said it best when he said he could shoot someone and not lose a single vote. In fact if he shot a migrant child he'd probably gain the remaining 7% of the GOP that isn't behind him.

casinterest wrote:
So now we have welfare for farmers, the American consumers will face infaltionary prices, and the economy will slow down , with tax revenues plummeting and the debt rising. Seems like the worst US president ever has officially started the decline of the economy with these tariffs.

Sounds Venezuelan--Trump is more Chavista then anyone cares to admit, in spite of the right squawking about SosHuLizm... If Trump got his way with the Fed stacking it with lunatics we'd be on the high speed train to Caracas in no time.

seb146

Mon May 13, 2019 5:03 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

EY writing down all its investments show it's good at investing in airlines :rotfl:

IIRC, the right is always skwaking and complaining that "the poor" pay no taxes. When a loser of a businessman pays no taxes, he is smart. Which is it? Are you smart for paying no taxes or horrible for paying no taxes?

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 am

seb146 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

IIRC, the right is always skwaking and complaining that "the poor" pay no taxes. When a loser of a businessman pays no taxes, he is smart. Which is it? Are you smart for paying no taxes or horrible for paying no taxes?

Let me join you in the laughter, because they are pathetic and do not realize it. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: