Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Veigar
Topic Author

Re: How do you even make friends in today's age.

Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 am

waterpolodan wrote:
To the original point of this post, yea, find a group. I had a period of time in my early/mid 20s where I had trouble making new friends and spent too much time online doing stuff like posting on forums or playing games. Then I got a bike and started riding a lot, then I started racing, and I've made some of my best friends in my current city through group rides and races. We don't just ride together, we go out and hang out together all the time, they're good people with similar worldviews and interests.

Another thing that's helped is starting a job at a company with a lot of younger people. I used to work for an insurance company where I (then ~27) was the youngest person in the office by 20 years and I felt isolated. Now I'm at a larger company with around 600 people in our office, most of whom are between 23-28., so I'm the old man at 33. I've developed a nice group of really great friends from just going to work social events and making the effort to be open and communicative with the people that I share a similar sense of humor with. Makes going to work a far better experience when you know you'll be able to spend most of the day with people you truly enjoy.

Well, another thing I want to know is, how exactly do you find such groups? Good ol' Google?

B777LRF

Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 am

Since you're here, one expect you have more than just a passing interest in aviation. With that in mind, why don't you pop down to your local airfield and hang out, talk to the guys there about aircraft and piloting, and before you know you'll have made a bunch of friends. Sign up for some lessons (my suggestion would be to go for gliders, the most satisfying form of aviation), have fun while you go flying and you'll make even more friends.

Some of my best friends I met in the glider club at the tender age of 21, and whilst we all no longer fly gliders, we still see each other and talk on the phone on a regular basis. And while we may longer all be flying, we all share the same love of aviation, talking BS, enjoying an adult beverage and admiration for the opposite (or same, we're an inclusive bunch) sex - as all pilots are want to do.

Runway28L

Mon May 13, 2019 7:02 am

Veigar, I'm also 20. So I think I can relate here...

If you are in college, a great (and imo the best) way to make some friends is to join intramural sports. Find someone you know and form an intramural sports team. For me, I got asked to join a hockey team by a friend of mine and I gladly took the offer. It was a once-a-week thing, so there wasn't some huge time commitment involved. All of us had a blast and I made some connections out of it. Definitely a win-win.

I was also able to make friends from working in randomly assigned groups. I got paired up with a group of five on one project a while ago where I didn't know any of them at all. We ended up working extremely well together and got along great putting this presentation together for over a month, and we ended up getting the highest score out of the entire class. I'm still friends with a few of the group members to this day.

A lot of my existing friends were made from playing ice hockey together throughout high school, so that kinda drives the point of how important clubs and teams are which many users have already noted.

Edit: I'll add too... I run social media pages for my personal aviation photography and I've made quite a few connections with people that live both inside and outside of my area through the photos I post daily, and it has been able to spur conversations with others. There could be quite a few spotters at your local airport depending on where it is. Spotter meet-ups are pretty common at numerous airports.

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 am

cpd wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
cpd wrote:
To the guy above (not the waterpolo person) - never, ever ride close to the kerb.

You’ll get yourself killed that way. Always ride further out from the edge of the road, that way if someone passes you too closely you have room to move.

Years and years of experience here and hardly any hostile interactions with motorists. I’m predictable and deliberate. That’s how you do it.

I’m a car enthusiast too, so if you roll up beside me in a classic sports car - I will almost certainly say hello. Never judge all riders - you never know who they might be...

I'm just saying don't ride right next to the lane line of the next lane then expect vehicles to be able to give you three feet. This is common sense. If you ride near the lane line, and a truck that just fits into the lane is in the next lane, how do you expect it to give you three feet unless it illegally crosses onto the other side of the road? Common sense here.

Jesse

They are allowed to cross to the other side of the road to do an overtake. It is the law here.

I’m not sure what this all has to do with making friends though.

Not in most of the built up areas with double unbroken lines which is where I see most of the rage occur:

""Double white unbroken (continuous) lines - you cannot overtake across these lines.""

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety ... kings.html

""A driver must always keep left of double continuous lines. Overtaking, turning or entering/leaving the road across such lines is not allowed.""

https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/dri ... lines.html

Jesse

waterpolodan

Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 am

Veigar wrote:
waterpolodan wrote:
To the original point of this post, yea, find a group. I had a period of time in my early/mid 20s where I had trouble making new friends and spent too much time online doing stuff like posting on forums or playing games. Then I got a bike and started riding a lot, then I started racing, and I've made some of my best friends in my current city through group rides and races. We don't just ride together, we go out and hang out together all the time, they're good people with similar worldviews and interests.

Another thing that's helped is starting a job at a company with a lot of younger people. I used to work for an insurance company where I (then ~27) was the youngest person in the office by 20 years and I felt isolated. Now I'm at a larger company with around 600 people in our office, most of whom are between 23-28., so I'm the old man at 33. I've developed a nice group of really great friends from just going to work social events and making the effort to be open and communicative with the people that I share a similar sense of humor with. Makes going to work a far better experience when you know you'll be able to spend most of the day with people you truly enjoy.

Well, another thing I want to know is, how exactly do you find such groups? Good ol' Google?

For cycling, when I moved to my current city and started grad school I joined the university’s race team, so that was an easy resource. Beyond that, I know a lot of people organize events for various specific interest groups via the Meetup app and also Facebook groups. My employer has weekend volunteer opportunities that are also a good way to connect with like minded folk, and when I was in college I was on the waterpolo team so that became my friend group, just have to find your niche.

waterpolodan

Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 pm

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
cpd wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:

I'm just saying don't ride right next to the lane line of the next lane then expect vehicles to be able to give you three feet. This is common sense. If you ride near the lane line, and a truck that just fits into the lane is in the next lane, how do you expect it to give you three feet unless it illegally crosses onto the other side of the road? Common sense here.

Jesse

They are allowed to cross to the other side of the road to do an overtake. It is the law here.

Not in most of the built up areas with double unbroken lines which is where I see most of the rage occur:

""Double white unbroken (continuous) lines - you cannot overtake across these lines.""

""A driver must always keep left of double continuous lines. Overtaking, turning or entering/leaving the road across such lines is not allowed.""

Jesse

I'm assuming you're in Australia based on the links you provided. This is relevant to you-

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 3ea99348a0

Summary: You can cross double continuous lines to maintain the required separation from cyclists when it is reasonable and safe to do so, the law backs you up on this. There are similar provisions in almost all states in the US as well. Of course, "reasonable and safe" is open to a bit of subjectivity and this is where human decency comes into play for both the cyclist (riding as far to the side of the road as is safe) and the driver (waiting for a truly safe opportunity), but you absolutely do not need to sit behind a cyclist for miles and miles because the road isn't marked for passing.

Anyway, sorry OP for the off topic turn. Done posting about cycling in this one.

aeromoe

Tue May 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Wow - that whole cyclist bit is definitely an example of how NOT to make friends.

Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

aeromoe wrote:
Wow - that whole cyclist bit is definitely an example of how NOT to make friends.

Most people you encounter are friendly. I have very few problems with drivers, people out walking who I have to ride past. You tend to see the same people everyday and more often than not get to know them, particularly the local residents- we all look out for each other. Nice people. That’s what is better about meeting people in real life and making friends in real life. My real job is online/communications related, so all those social media platforms have zero appeal to me.

aeromoe

Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 pm

cpd wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

Most people you encounter are friendly. I have very few problems with drivers, people out walking who I have to ride past. You tend to see the same people everyday and more often than not get to know them, particularly the local residents- we all look out for each other. Nice people. That’s what is better about meeting people in real life and making friends in real life. My real job is online/communications related, so all those social media platforms have zero appeal to me.

CPD - I was actually referring to the verbal exchanges going on on this forum! Amazing. I'm sure cyclists are a great bunch...I've personally never had any problem with them on the road and I've been licensed since 1980. Give 'em a wide berth if possible and we can coexist. Be safe out there on your two wheels.

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Thu May 16, 2019 6:44 am

waterpolodan wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
cpd wrote:

Jesse

I'm assuming you're in Australia based on the links you provided. This is relevant to you-

Summary: You can cross double continuous lines to maintain the required separation from cyclists when it is reasonable and safe to do so, the law backs you up on this.

I spend my time between Mississippi, Sydney and Asia. Right now I'm in Sydney. I believe cpd spends time in Australia, and with my experiences dealing with cyclists in Sydney, that is why I posted Australian links.

Can you provide a link to a regulatory website (eg: RMS) that will back up that article? Until I see the actual law that backs up such overtaking over double unbroken lines I will continue to view the practice as illegal. News.com.au has no weight in court.

Jesse

waterpolodan

Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 pm

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
waterpolodan wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:

Jesse

Summary: You can cross double continuous lines to maintain the required separation from cyclists when it is reasonable and safe to do so, the law backs you up on this.

I spend my time between Mississippi, Sydney and Asia. Right now I'm in Sydney. I believe cpd spends time in Australia, and with my experiences dealing with cyclists in Sydney, that is why I posted Australian links.

Can you provide a link to a regulatory website (eg: RMS) that will back up that article? Until I see the actual law that backs up such overtaking over double unbroken lines I will continue to view the practice as illegal. News.com.au has no weight in court.

Jesse

You can google this yourself, but here you go-

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au ... .html#faq4

Which road rule exemptions apply in order to leave a one to 1.5 metre gap?

Drivers will be exempt from the following rules, as long as they have a clear view of approaching traffic and it is safe to pass the bicycle rider to comply with the minimum passing distance rule:

Keep to the left of the centre of the road (two-way road with no dividing line)
Keep to the left of the centre of a dividing line - broken and unbroken lines
Keep off a flat dividing strip i.e. one that is at the same level as the road
Keep off a flat painted island
Driving within a single marked lane or line of traffic, including at roundabouts
Moving from one marked lane to another across a continuous line separating the lanes.

vondes

Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 am

What to discuss with a girl? Talk about her favorite films. Find out what is the latest film she saw in the cinema or at home, what she has learned from this film, what films she can recommend to you and why. The cinema is a broad topic for discussion which does not demand from a woman to disclose herself more than she wants at the initial stage of communication, but at the same time, she has such an opportunity.

stl07

Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 am

Dale Carnegie is a must read, even if you don't use the strategies for friendship.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:21 pm

DL717 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
If making friends is hard, going on a date is apparently harder.
So I did last night. We went to see art, listened to music and had something to eat. I really had a great time. But in the end I wanted to leave it at that I just go home by myself. Basically, be friends and not lovers. Let's say that didn't go over well. When I got home I got a tirade of text messages accusing me of being nasty, mean, fake, hurtful, "how can you do this", "I thought you found me attractive", etc.
Seems to me that people have become incapable of accepting that not every works out as they thought it would be and have sky high expectations.

She sounds like a real peach. :eyepopping:

He ;)

TSS

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
So I did last night. We went to see art, listened to music and had something to eat. I really had a great time. But in the end I wanted to leave it at that I just go home by myself. Basically, be friends and not lovers. Let's say that didn't go over well. When I got home I got a tirade of text messages accusing me of being nasty, mean, fake, hurtful, "how can you do this", "I thought you found me attractive", etc.
Seems to me that people have become incapable of accepting that not every works out as they thought it would be and have sky high expectations.

He ;)

Since your date's text tirade sounds exactly like an entry from the subreddit "r/nicegirls", surely you can understand DL717's natural albeit mistaken assumption.

In fact, it might not be a bad idea to post the tirade to r/nicegirls.

trpmb6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

He ;)

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there.