Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Cop who shot Justine Damond in MSP found guilty

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 pm

http://www.startribune.com/

The jury acquitted him of murder in the 2nd degree, but - oddly - convicted him on murder 3 and also second degree manslaughter.

I wonder if the murder 3 rap will hold up on appeal.

I also wonder if there'll be riots tonight. White cops don't get charged, let alone convicted when they shoot black kids. Now here's a black cop who...

Magog

Re: Cop who shot Justine Damond in MSP found guilty

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm

I glanced at the title of this thread and though that Justin Diamond from Saved By The Bell was shot.

There will not be riots. Minneapolis doesn’t do that.

BN747

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Magog wrote:
I glanced at the title of this thread and though that Justin Diamond from Saved By The Bell was shot.

There will not be riots. Minneapolis doesn’t do that.

Nor to do serve the same Justice.
This Brown guy Cops (might as well be black in his shoes) easily goes down for killing a white woman (and should be punished, she was no threat)

vs White Cop (white-Latino-not to be confused with 'Latino', see white Latino George Zimmerman for example if you are confused) killing Philando Castile, a 32-year-old black American-blasting him to death while his girlfriend sat next to him(in the line of fire) while sitting his car - got away scot-free.

hmmmm... no riot after that senseless racist killing, either.

Oddly, however Brown Cop with (Arabic name - Mohamed Noor), good thing he didn't have a beard and turban - he's lucky to get charges he received, had he an Arab appearnce...he would have received a murder One charge. They cleaned and packaged him well for the jury - it worked.

Minneapolis Justice...better to try your 'luck' in Vegas, in MSP, it's life or death, a real gamble.

BN747

seb146

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 pm

There is a large Somali community in MSP, isn't there? Not only that, but MSP police murdered an unarmed motorist and they got off. The difference? One victim was a white woman, the other was a black man. #alllivesmatter

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Was Yanez white?

777Jet

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:48 pm

BN747 wrote:
They cleaned and packaged him well for the jury - it worked.

Might have worked even better if they created a less BS script.

BN747

Wed May 01, 2019 12:00 am

Airstud wrote:
Was Yanez white?

You missed the ‘white Latino’ as explained in my post.

That is a real classification, look at any detailed polling of demographics. Whites, Non-white Latinos, etc.

Example: Ted Cruz and Latinos like him will be treated as white in any crime.

George Lopez, Paul Rodriguez or Julian Castro, by sheer appearance are now subject to being treated as a ‘moreno’ or brown person. A ‘Latino’...the real deal.

BN747

BN747

Wed May 01, 2019 12:01 am

777Jet wrote:
BN747 wrote:
They cleaned and packaged him well for the jury - it worked.

Might have worked even better if they created a less BS script.

Probably.

BN747

Jetty

Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 am

I followed this case but wasn’t able to find out if there was a hint to motive. Did Mohammed snap at the sight of a woman in her pajamas? Not a great diversity hire either way. :cry:

af773atmsp

Wed May 01, 2019 3:00 am

[photoid][/photoid]Clearly he should not have been a cop if he's that jumpy. Seems like people (and unfortunately especially for black people) just have to stand like statues to not get shot.

Want me to give you my ID? Sorry it's in my pocket, you might think I'm pulling out a gun and then you shoot 20 bullets into me and all you have to do is claim self defense.

910A

Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 pm

$20m settlement with the family of the victim after the court found the officer guilty.

The city of Minneapolis agreed to a $20 million settlement with the family of a woman shot dead by a police officer who was convicted of murder, lawmakers announced on Friday.

The settlement came just three days after jurors convicted the former officer, Mohamed Noor, of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the July 15, 2017, slaying of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a dual citizen of the United States and Australia.

Image: Justine Damond, an Australian woman who was shot dead by police in Minneapolis SaturdayJustine DamondStephen Govel Photography

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ju ... r-n1001716

MaverickM11

Sat May 04, 2019 1:22 am

Wonder why Philando Castile's murderer didn't get the same treatment. Or why the NRA didn't stand up for him.

TTailedTiger

Sat May 04, 2019 6:43 am

A white cop in Florida was just convicted for shooting a black motorist who's car broke down.

And a South Carolina cop was convicted for shooting a black suspect who was running away.

So put a lid on the ”white people never get punished” tirade.

777Jet

Sat May 04, 2019 9:19 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
A white cop in Florida was just convicted for shooting a black motorist who's car broke down.

And a South Carolina cop was convicted for shooting a black suspect who was running away.

It can't be true!

Soon people will be asking for links :lol:

par13del

Sat May 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Well when the shootings took place they were major news stories even before and during the riots, one would think that the independent press who is all about justice would let the public know with the same due diligence the final outcome, unless they are waiting for the verdicts to be overturned on appeal then start all over again.
Maybe that estate thrives on conflict as they are for profit organizations?

910A

Sat May 04, 2019 1:18 pm

par13del wrote:
Well when the shootings took place they were major news stories even before and during the riots, one would think that the independent press who is all about justice would let the public know with the same due diligence the final outcome, unless they are waiting for the verdicts to be overturned on appeal then start all over again.
Maybe that estate thrives on conflict as they are for profit organizations?

Both verdicts TailedTiger mentioned, as with this one were covered by the national press during the trial and when the final outcome was announced..

vrbarreto

Sun May 05, 2019 5:00 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

So put a lid on the ”white people never get punished” tirade.

The Florida cop was an Indian American. Nouman Raja. Slager was luckily caught on camera carrying out his crime.

itsjustme

Sun May 12, 2019 5:16 am

Just curious why, in a non-aviation forum, you used "MSP" instead of MN or Minnesota.

itsjustme

Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 am

af773atmsp wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]Clearly he should not have been a cop if he's that jumpy. Seems like people (and unfortunately especially for black people) just have to stand like statues to not get shot.

Want me to give you my ID? Sorry it's in my pocket, you might think I'm pulling out a gun and then you shoot 20 bullets into me and all you have to do is claim self defense.

Here's a thought: Maybe if cops weren't being executed while fueling their patrol car, grabbing a bite to eat, and sitting in their car writing a report, they wouldn't be so "jumpy."

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 am

itsjustme wrote:
Just curious why, in a non-aviation forum, you used "MSP" instead of MN or Minnesota.

Locally, the Twin Cities metro area is often referred to as "MSP" in innumerable non-aviation contexts. Similarly to how, I'm told, Johannesburg is often referred to by locals as "JHB" (and yes, I know their airport code instead is JNB!!).

Kno

Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 pm

777Jet wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

It can't be true!

Soon people will be asking for links :lol:

Innocent black folks have been killed by police at a disproportionate rate, and the officers who killed the innocent have gotten off at a disproportionate rate.

Of course you can cherry pick examples to show that there are times when officers have been punished but it hardly moves the needle on the big picture.

itsjustme wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Here's a thought: Maybe if cops weren't being executed while fueling their patrol car, grabbing a bite to eat, and sitting in their car writing a report, they wouldn't be so "jumpy."

I’m sorry being a cop is a dangerous job but do we really have a widespread epidemic of police being publicly executed while running errands and doing paper work?

Here’s my thought. Officers are people who decide they’d like to do a specific job, and they decide to do the job knowing that it’s a dangerous one. Part of this job means you need to be able to handle intense potentially dangerous situations without being jumpy. I respect that this can be difficult but for the safety of the public, if someone can’t handle the responsibility they should not be a cop.

phatfarmlines

Sun May 12, 2019 3:24 pm

As I read about this case, did the now-charged officer not provide advance warning to the approaching individual, the victim in this case, before firing his weapon? Is that the crux of the investigation? And I'm not talking about the "cultural reasons" nonsense spurred by former Senator Bachmann.

Airstud wrote:

I also wonder if there'll be riots tonight. White cops don't get charged, let alone convicted when they shoot black kids. Now here's a black cop who...

That's a very incorrect statement to make while ignoring recent cases. White cops go through due process, and the jury ultimately decides his or her fate, but the reality is there are disproportionately more cases of white cops shooting minorities than the other way around, so statistically we're going to hear of more cases of white cops both getting charged as well as getting acquitted.

LittleFokker

Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
White cops go through due process, and the jury ultimately decides his or her fate, but the reality is there are disproportionately more cases of white cops shooting minorities than the other way around, so statistically we're going to hear of more cases of white cops both getting charged as well as getting acquitted.

Wrong. The majority of shootings by police officers don't even make it to trial. As we learned from the Mike Brown case in St Louis, a District Attorney could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich if he/she wants to. But because DAs are dependent on police and want their cooperation, they throw the case during the grand jury phase so that the grand jury votes not to indict and the officers don't face a jury for shooting someone. Or, the matter is handled by Internal Affairs, hardly an independent organization, who almost always reaches the conclusion that the officer did nothing wrong and no significant punishment is ever doled out (maybe desk duty for 6 months, but that's about it). Some light reading about it:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/us/polic ... index.html

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/1 ... ions-court