sonicruiser
Topic Author

AA in hot water after sexist FA skit at FF event

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Extremely distasteful if you ask me. Even more shocking is how stupid one would have to be to pull something like this in the age of cameras and social media.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-fli ... dant-skit/

Boof02671

Re: AA in hot water after sexist FA skit at FF event

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Company is saying they weren’t involved.

vhtje

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Oh for heaven's sake. It's parody - as such, it is meant to amuse through exaggeration, whilst at the same time, make a point. As Ben points out in his article, Pam Ann has been doing exactly this for years.

The difference is Pam Ann, in her comedy, is pointing out and laughing at the subtle absurdities of air travel. This skit isn't anywhere nearly as sophisticated, so looks cheap.

But as AA wasn't directly involved, it's unfair to level criticism as AA.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

jersey777

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 pm

[quote="vhtje"]Oh for heaven's sake. It's parody - as such, it is meant to amuse through exaggeration, whilst at the same time, make a point. As Ben points out in his article, Pam Ann has been doing exactly this for years.

I guess by your logic, blackface is just parody.

Lilienthal

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:56 pm

vhtje wrote:
Oh for heaven's sake. It's parody - as such, it is meant to amuse through exaggeration, whilst at the same time, make a point.

And what kind of "point" were they trying to make here?

texl1649

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

The world would be a better place if folks median 'I'm offended' thresholds went up by about 100 fold vs. today. Hopefully they raised some money for the charity. It sounded like the audience was laughing. It has reached the point where comedic targets have to be a very specific demographic to be ok.

Noise

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't see the problem here.

TheKennady2

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:06 pm

This is nothing, not worthy of any outrage, whoever is offended needs a new hobby instead of claiming sexism over harmless fun. I wish most flight attendants for American where this attractive, many ive seen are older and average looking. Who said Attractive women are bad for business?

ual763

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Just watched the article and read the response from the FA Union. My opinion - the union’s response is attention-grabbing and over the top. It’s so evidently clear that this is not sponsored or set up by the company in ANY way, yet the union is still “demanding” answers from Doug Parker...

Give me a break... Is the union going to demand answers regarding all of the sexy FA Halloween costumers out there on the market too?
From flying to the NOTAM office

BC77008

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Color me confused! If this wasn't an AA sponsored event, then how would the upper echelons of their frequent flyer program get together on their own volition? If AA truly is not the sponsor of this event, then the only real problem I see with the skit is the use of AA materials to carry it out (signage/logo, uniforms, etc.)
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Max Q

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I wish they were working my flights
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

ual763

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:18 pm

BC77008 wrote:
Color me confused! If this wasn't an AA sponsored event, then how would the upper echelons of their frequent flyer program get together on their own volition? If AA truly is not the sponsor of this event, then the only real problem I see with the skit is the use of AA materials to carry it out (signage/logo, uniforms, etc.)

Websites like Flyertalk. There are lots of communities for Frequent Flyers, they are a close-knit group and do lots of events together. And the uniforms are not AA. Also, the logo is just the AAdvantage logo put up on the screen as that’s the FF group (from Flyertalk)that chose to get together on their own.
From flying to the NOTAM office

dtw2hyd

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Looks like they roasted lof of groups in one skit.

I like the "four-inch recline makes the difference between life and death"

amax1977

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 pm

I don’t see any problem with this. I wish I could be on their flight!

vhtje

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:58 pm

jersey777 wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Oh for heaven's sake. It's parody - as such, it is meant to amuse through exaggeration, whilst at the same time, make a point. As Ben points out in his article, Pam Ann has been doing exactly this for years.

I guess by your logic, blackface is just parody.

No, of course not. That's quite the leap, form this silly little skit to blackface, and I am struggling to understand how you made it.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

gatorfan

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I don't get it. Were the actors actual pilots and FA's or were they Platinum/CK members playing FA's/pilots?

If they were private citizens then how is this different than what SNL does when satirizing Trump? Why get mad at the airline because someone dressed up in fake uniforms and put on a skit? Do people get mad at a local hospital if someone dresses up as a slutty nurse for Halloween?

If actual pilots and FA's then shouldn't the anger be directed at them individually rather than at the company?

DL717

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:06 pm

LOL. SJWs lose it again.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

fallap

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm

All aboard the offense train!
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

dmg626

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 am

The jumbos get all upset because some women still have very nice figures, don’t hate them because they look good.

afcjets

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 pm

ual763 wrote:
BC77008 wrote:

Websites like Flyertalk. There are lots of communities for Frequent Flyers, they are a close-knit group and do lots of events together. And the uniforms are not AA. Also, the logo is just the AAdvantage logo put up on the screen as that’s the FF group (from Flyertalk)that chose to get together on their own.

Perhaps AA should listen to what their best customers want and ignore all the fake outrage.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:17 am

I know most everyone at this event. The optics are poor, but there is nothing intentionally disrespectful about this.

This same group of people raised more than $75K for charity less than 6 months ago at AA's annual charity gala. This one clip does remotely reflect the evening or the people involved.
Cheers,
Cameron