bennett123
Topic Author

School starting times in the UK

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47164545

IMO, this raises several points;

1. If they start at 1000, will they still expect to finish at 1500.

2. Will they then expect to start at 1000 when they go out to work.

Either way, they are going to experience a culture shock.

Reinhardt

Re: School starting times in the UK

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Kids in Germany start school at 8am or earlier.

Most of my work colleagues start work at 7.30 or 8 and are out the door at 4.

Very different ideas.

seat64k

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm aware of claims that teenagers need more sleep (and that doesn't sound far fetched), but I've never seen a discussion about this topic include the time kids go to bed. Maybe that's the problem that needs fixing?

BlueberryWheats

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Pushing back to 10am will make my morning commute so much easier at 8:30am, the roads will be so quiet!

Aesma

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 pm

If it had been me I would have just been to bed even later and that would have made no difference in the end. I don't have kids but if I had them, there would be a special smartphone drawer in the house where every member of the family would put his/her phone in at 7pm or something, no TV in bedrooms, and laptops/tablets also stored at some point in the evening outside bedrooms.

I didn't need these rules, well maybe, I had a PC in my room at an early age, when most houses didn't have a PC, but there was not that much you could do without the internet, so I rarely spent my nights on it. Reading books, that's another story.

Now making the first half hour of a school day something designed to wake up the brain, that would make sense.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

c933103

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm

seat64k wrote:
I'm aware of claims that teenagers need more sleep (and that doesn't sound far fetched), but I've never seen a discussion about this topic include the time kids go to bed. Maybe that's the problem that needs fixing?

Kids tend to get up late and sleep late. If that's the natural sleeping schedule for most kids, then shouldn't school schedule match the kids life cycles?

seat64k

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

c933103 wrote:
Kids tend to get up late and sleep late. If that's the natural sleeping schedule for most kids, then shouldn't school schedule match the kids life cycles?

Is the late sleeping schedule natural or does it end up being late because kids want to stay up late to engage with technological and other distractions?

I'm from a generation before phones and laptops, but I was not immune to distractions. Staying up late reading a book or listening to a new album on my (knock-off) walkman. But I had no difficulty going to sleep at 10 and being up at 6 in the morning.

Sounds more to me like the adults in kids' lives are forgetting to be the adult.

c933103

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm

seat64k wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Is the late sleeping schedule natural or does it end up being late because kids want to stay up late to engage with technological and other distractions?

I'm from a generation before phones and laptops, but I was not immune to distractions. Staying up late reading a book or listening to a new album on my (knock-off) walkman. But I had no difficulty going to sleep at 10 and being up at 6 in the morning.

Sounds more to me like the adults in kids' lives are forgetting to be the adult.

When I was in secondary school and that's before the era of smartphone, I recall there were a research saying the average sleeping time of secondary school students back then within my city was already after 12mn. Remember despite every researches say people of group x are doing/feeling y, they are talking about average and individual dispersion do exists.

seat64k

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

True, but in this case the bed time is relative to the rise time. It is definitely true that teenagers need *more* sleep than adults. But I have yet to see anything convincing to show that they need to later sleep pattern.

PhilBy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Perhaps the solution is to start school at 10 and put the clocks forwards an hour for all teenagers!

That way the kids will go to sleep 1 hour earlier and still have time to wake up before being at school at what is 09:00 for everyone else!

trpmb6

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

I have maintained a 10pm -5:30am sleep schedule since I was a freshman in high school. Sure I occasionally stayed up later during the week to finish a game or because I went to a movie or something. Same is true today. But in general that my schedule. Worked then, works now.

My kids (pre school) go to bed at 7:30pm and wake up at 6am, with a 1 to 2 hour nap while at pre-school. The elder one is at the point where the day time nap usually doesn't happen on the weekends but it's obvious by time bedtime rolls around that he still needs it.