TWA772LR
Topic Author

Skies over Denver (Feb 9,2019)

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:32 am

So here I am in my apartment complex's hot tub when I see 1, maybe 2, white lights streak across the sky over Lone Tree, CO (southern suburb of Denver) between 1800 & 1830 local time on February 9, 2019.

I've seen meteorites streak through the skies here before but this was a constant light moving at a constant speed. I've seen the ISS go through the sky before and this looked very similar. An ISS tracking website also backs my theory. However I have no idea what the second light was (perhaps the result of bourbon and beer but I digress); I looked up to find recent space launches but the next one is about a week and a half away so I don't think there was anything chasing ISS.

So, my questions are:
1. Was this truly ISS that I saw?
2. What was the second night? Something leaving ISS to come back to Earth?

Signed,

A slightly inebriated TWA772LR

PS
I don't partake in what Colorado has become known for so nice try.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Brick

Re: Skies over Denver (Feb 9,2019)

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I didn't see anything unusual around that time (I am very close to Lone Tree). In the past, I have seen very bright, slow moving objects in the sky just after sunset. When I break out the binoculars, it is an aircraft overflying Denver that has a strong reflection from the sun that's hitting it at altitude though the sun has been down for a while at the ground level.

Just last weekend when I was driving up 285 heading to Conifer about 20 minutes after sunset, there was a very, very bright light cruising from west to east in the sky. Once it got closer to me and I got a good look at it, it was a BA747 on approach to DEN that was reflecting some really wicked sunlight.

Was it moving fast like something reentering the atmosphere? Or much slower?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

c933103

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm

https://in-the-sky.org/satmap_radar.php?town=5419384
ISS have indeed flew past the sky of Denver at about 1820-23 local time that day at Magnitude down to -3 according to online database so that's likely.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 am

Brick wrote:
I didn't see anything unusual around that time (I am very close to Lone Tree). In the past, I have seen very bright, slow moving objects in the sky just after sunset. When I break out the binoculars, it is an aircraft overflying Denver that has a strong reflection from the sun that's hitting it at altitude though the sun has been down for a while at the ground level.

Just last weekend when I was driving up 285 heading to Conifer about 20 minutes after sunset, there was a very, very bright light cruising from west to east in the sky. Once it got closer to me and I got a good look at it, it was a BA747 on approach to DEN that was reflecting some really wicked sunlight.

Was it moving fast like something reentering the atmosphere? Or much slower?

It was moving at a constant speed and a constant track. And going off of c's post below yours I know for sure that the one was ISS. Im not even sure if there was a 2nd light, it couldve been me seeing the ISS from a different position thus looking like another object.

However, last summer I did see (backed by my dad and uncle) a light pulsating in the northeast sky at irregular intervals. The magnitude was changing also and it was high up in the sky so I dont think atmospheric conditions were in play. Then all of a sudden it got blinding bright and even reflected off the surface of the water in my uncles hot tub. So bright that if it was that bright for any amount of time longer my vision wouldve been impaired. To this day we still dont know what it was.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.