Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

heatwave
Topic Author

Are Home Security Systems and Alarm Monitoring Worth It?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:59 pm

I own a house in a relatively crime-free neighborhood. Still, I feel that it would be responsible to invest in something to safeguard my property and personal safety. I do not particularly want to own a gun however, so a home security system is the best alternative I think.

Is there anybody who has experience with home security systems who can make any recommendations of whether or not it is worth it?

Thunderboltdrgn

Re: Are Home Security Systems and Alarm Monitoring Worth It?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

I am not that familiar with home alarm systems and not sure how it works in the US (?). From the little I've heard
some have said/claimed that the good systems also include some sort of automatic fire alarm which supposedly
was a better investment then just a system that is just a burglary/intruder alarm.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 pm

ADT Smarthings security hub kit allows you to have a security system with optional monitoring. Amazon has it on sale for $100. ADT(ST) Hub and sensors are much reliable than standard Samsung Smartthings Hub and sensors. ADT(ST) accepts third-party sensors but cannot be used to trigger security alarms.

Have an ADT(Brinks legacy) wired system with GSM for almost 18 years $46/month for monitoring, Smartthings hub V2 (30 sensors) for home automation, Very old SkyLink voice dailer for water leak monitoring.

Just bought ADT(ST) kit. The idea is to combine all into one system.

Standard Samsung Smarthings Hub and sensors are not reliable. Door open-close sensors go offline frequently, motion sensor gets triggered if a leaf flys by.

stl07

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 am

Wow, that was funny. Simplisafe has an ad right now to the right of this page. Anyway, they are the cheapest and their system is more intelligent than adt so check it out. $15 a month.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 am

https://ring.com/?msclkid=f5152c877bf21 ... &gclsrc=ds

i've had two experences. ring smart home security, it's really not that expensive. my next door neighbor got hit and i didn't. I looked at my footage on ring, and a nicely dressed woman in sunglasses came to my door saw the ring doorbell and turned around, didn't even ring the bell. Pretty sure that she hit the house next door. The second time i got hit. I had a Nest camera's in my house. I don't know how someone got into my home, but once they saw the nest camera from the stair in the foyer, they left, but they were in my house for a while, before they saw the camera's. they took the camera down from the backyard, so i had a heads up and was there and i got there within 15 minutes but they were already gone. I always worried that they might come back, but it's been a year. the only thing they took was the camera from outside which cost about 250.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 am

The two biggest deterrents you can have for home burglaries would be a well-lit exterior of your home (coach lights, malibu/floodlights for decoration, etc.) and a security system alarm sign in the yard, regardless of whether or not you actually HAVE one. Burglars are opportunistic and if they see a house that screams "go away" they'll move on to the less well-lit house down the block that has no security sign out front.

Having said all of that, you're usually eligible for a decent discount on your homeowners insurance if you have an alarm system, and depending on the vendor, equipment, etc. the discount can sometimes pay for the costs of the system and monitoring. Something to keep in mind.

I love my home security setup from Cox because it's not only monitored 24/7 by local professionals instead of overseas call centers, they incorporate sensors like smoke detectors, glass breakage sensors, and so on that are also monitored, not to mention I can control everything from my phone from anywhere in the world, such as arming and disarming the system, turning lights on and off, etc.

jetwet1

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:47 pm

I have 2 systems on my house, one from simply safe and one a 160 King Shepard.

If the sign for the alarm system doesn't put people off the dog should.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 pm

dogs are great, but not so cheap

jetwet1

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
dogs are great, but not so cheap

That is very true.

Moose135

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
...so i had a heads up and was there and i got there within 15 minutes but they were already gone.

I hope the police you called were already there. I certainly wouldn't go charging into a home burglary scene where a possible armed intruder may be without the cavalry already on scene.

kellyon

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:03 pm

I prefer to use the latest products from world class security companies including Interlogix, Honeywell, and DSC Alarms. In my house in Calgary I installed security system from our local company which offer a wide range of alarm protection and monitoring services for residental and commercial buildings. Our company also installed Union Alarm key cards with IP based control. In our region it's one of the best security and alarm companies.

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm

I had an alarm system that wasn't hooked up to real-time monitoring. It's a good thing I didn't pay for it because I stopped setting the alarm shortly after I moved in. I would only set it for weekends I knew I'd be away (Friday through Sunday). If I was gone longer than that I would be in a bit of trouble because I'd have someone come to feed my cat and they'd have to disarm/arm the alarm system. To add to the security monitoring, I bought an Amazon CloudCam (it was more to spy on my cat's mischief than anything else but still served its purpose).

Of course, having a dog would be the best alert and deterrent, but ain't nobody got time for that.

trpmb6

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 pm

I installed cameras on my house about 4 or 5 years ago. I'm in a crime free area, cul de sac lot with little interaction. But I like being able to check in on my house from time to time remotely. I can see when packages arive and what not. I purchased an off the shelf kit with DVR that I installed a backup harddrive in. (bought at menards) the system is free to use, I can check in remotely whenever I want. Footage is stored locally. Only paid 500 dollars for 7 cameras.

Now that I have a pool it provides an extra layer of legal protection for my family as well. 100% worth it.

And as Einstein noted, my Lab is far more of a deterrent, but the cameras help.

My neighbors once asked if I had the cameras pointed towards their house (I guess they wanted some privacy). Of course they were not pointed towards their house. But a few months after that they came asking if my cameras had picked up any suspicious behavior - apparently someone broke into one of their vehicles parked outside unlocked and stole some keys and money. I bet they wish it had been pointed at their house then!