LMP737
Topic Author

Washington Measles Outbreak

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 am

For a disease that by all rights should be wiped out due to the MMR vaccine it certainly is making a bit of a comeback.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 719315002/

This is mainly due in part to the anti-vaccine movement that has taken hold not only in the USA but other countries as well. It does not help that Washington state is one of seventeen states that allows not only religious exemptions but philosophical exemptions as well. Both of which are completely idiotic. IMO any parent who does not get their children immunized is quite frankly a bad parent. Except of course those parents with children with actual medical reasons.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

seb146

Re: Washington Measles Outbreak

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:47 am

There are anti-vaxxer parents who are on the internet asking how they can protect their children against measles. I want to reach through the internet and... well... that's illegal but what the heck is wrong with these idiots???
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LMP737
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:52 am

They tend to be rich, white and educated. To be honest I'm not that surprised.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-conta ... d=60674519

Jouhou

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:58 am

LMP737 wrote:

So sheltered, basically. Completely unaware the illnesses vaccines protect against are nasty and this isn't the right place for their anti-science conspiracy theorist BS.

scbriml

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 am

So, in summary - parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids are upset that their kids are developing preventable diseases?

If it wasn’t so pathetic, it would be hilarious. :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 am

seb146 wrote:
There are anti-vaxxer parents who are on the internet asking how they can protect their children against measles. I want to reach through the internet and... well... that's illegal but what the heck is wrong with these idiots???

Gosh, if only there were some way to, oh, I don’t know, maybe introduce a weakened or inactive version of the virus so the body could develop an immune response for use against the real virus if it ever infected the person? That’d really be something, right?

Oh, wait...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Francoflier

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:20 am

LMP737 wrote:

Well, educated is a strong word here...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LMP737
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 am

Jouhou wrote:

So sheltered, basically. Completely unaware the illnesses vaccines protect against are nasty and this isn't the right place for their anti-science conspiracy theorist BS.

I think part of the problem is that most people today don't have memory of diseases like polio, whooping cough or measles like older generations do and how scary those out breaks could really be.

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 am

LMP737 wrote:
I think part of the problem is that most people today don't have memory of diseases like polio, whooping cough or measles like older generations do and how scary those out breaks could really be.

I think the main part of the problem is parents who think they know better because they found an article on the 3rd page of Google or shared through Facebook that fed them false information.

I was actually surprised when my mom revealed she's an antivaxxer, and that the only reason I'm vaccinated is because schools back home demand that children be vaccinated or else they won't be admitted. She said she doesn't believe in vaccines but was never able to articulate why. And she was young enough to know the dangers of polio, measles, and even smallpox since all three diseases were rampant when she was a child (maybe not in PR but certainly around the world).

Every time flu season hits, I've told her to get herself and my grandparents vaccinated. But she knows better: if you get vaccinated against the flu, you'll develop the flu so it's not worth it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA412

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 am

What’s really heartbreaking is I’m seeing articles discussing posts from the children if anti-vaxxers who are turning to the internet to find out how they can be vaccinated without parental consent. Children shouldn’t have to do that.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:14 am

A guy im friends with on Facebook was expecting a baby and asked if he should get vaccinated. My response was this:

'Lets say they do cause autism. Would you rather have your child have an illness that is gaining exponential awareness and acceptance as well as more and more research is being done on; or get a dillapadating illness where they lose a limb or even die.'

My response is the reason why his child is vaccinated.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Airstud

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34 am

TWA772LR wrote:
A guy im friends with on Facebook was expecting a baby and asked if he should get vaccinated. My response was this:

'Lets say they do cause autism. Would you rather have your child have an illness that is gaining exponential awareness and acceptance as well as more and more research is being done on; or get a dillapadating illness where they lose a limb or even die.'

Even though they totally and 11,000% don't cause autism?
Pancakes are delicious.

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 am

Airstud wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Even though they totally and 11,000% don't cause autism?

I was just entertaining the part of him that was anti-vax.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 am

scbriml wrote:
So, in summary - parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids are upset that their kids are developing preventable diseases?

If it wasn’t so pathetic,
it would be hilarious. :banghead:

IMO I would say that tragic is a better word. I really feel sorry for the children who obviously haven't chosen this themselves and
now suffering from a preventable disease.It's the same where parents don't choose to vaccinate their daughters against
the Human papilloma virus (HPV) which give those girls a reduced risk of getting cervix cancer.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Jouhou

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 am

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
scbriml wrote:

IMO I would say that tragic is a better word. I really feel sorry for the children who obviously haven't chosen this themselves and
now suffering from a preventable disease.It's the same where parents don't choose to vaccinate their daughters against
the Human papilloma virus (HPV) which give those girls a reduced risk of getting cervix cancer.

It prevents various cancers in males too.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Parents that don't vaccinate their children should be held liable for all downstream costs & damages.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

A3801000

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:08 pm

I just leave this here:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

5:35 AM - 28 Mar 2014

Ken777

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:24 pm

People are really not that bright. Those against vaccines because of what they have been told are the same ones that believed Trump when he was riding their Birther Wave.

These people have every tight to keep their kids from vaccines, but those who don't should be required to home school their kids. No vaccine certificate then the kids are not allowed in public schools.

and when they do catch something that could has re been avoided with a vaccine the kids need to be isolated from at-risk Americans. like pregnant women.

As far as Trump's stupid comment on Autism coming from the vaccines, that has ben scientifically proven wrong . Typical Trump

Tugger

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:19 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Gosh, if only there were some way to, oh, I don’t know, maybe introduce a weakened or inactive version of the virus so the body could develop an immune response for use against the real virus if it ever infected the person? That’d really be something, right?

Oh, wait...

You know, it's time for some really smart company or doctor or pharma to come out with an "organic, all natural" series of vaccines... Ones certified to have no harmful chemicals in it formulation or manufacture, made from only the purest water and mountain air and cleanest trustworthy labs.... etc. :angel:

And it should only cost 100 times more that the industrially produced dirty vaccines currently on the market.

Maybe hire the pope and Oprah who together hand carry each dose through producing it, Kylie or Kourtney could testify how wonderful it is (this version might cost 1000x more.)

I mean I bet a bunch of the current batch of anti-vaxxer parents would jump at the chance to still prove how much better and smarter they are then those regular schmucky parents, while being able to safeguard their beautiful little cherubs!

Hey, just an idea.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:09 am

Tugger wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Oh, wait...

You know, it's time for some really smart company or doctor or pharma to come out with an "organic, all natural" series of vaccines... Ones certified to have no harmful chemicals in it formulation or manufacture, made from only the purest water and mountain air and cleanest trustworthy labs.... etc. :angel:

And it should only cost 100 times more that the industrially produced dirty vaccines currently on the market.

Maybe hire the pope and Oprah who together hand carry each dose through producing it, Kylie or Kourtney could testify how wonderful it is (this version might cost 1000x more.)

I mean I bet a bunch of the current batch of anti-vaxxer parents would jump at the chance to still prove how much better and smarter they are then those regular schmucky parents, while being able to safeguard their beautiful little cherubs!

Hey, just an idea.

Tugg

There are those "I only feed my child organic, gluten free, non-GMO, locally sourced, vegan" parents and then, there are "but some article I half-read on the internet said something about..."

There would totally be those parents who demand the gluten free, etc. vaccine, but there would still be the parents who insist that it is poison because of some half-baked article they skimmed a few years ago.

I wonder if there are anti-vaxxers with autistic children?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bgm

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:07 am

Not vaccinating your children should be treated as child neglect. It's disgusting that in 2019 there are measles outbreaks in the US. I wonder how many of these anti-vaxxers were vaccinated themselves as kids.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - old white men haven't been this terrified since Martin Luther King Jr.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 am

bgm wrote:
I wonder how many of these anti-vaxxers were vaccinated themselves as kids.

They where also surrounded by lead based paint, and it would appear in social media that a good bunch of them shares "I had lead painted toys as a kid and I am ok" memes too....

Best regards
Thomas

CitizenJustin

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:11 pm

Ken777 wrote:
People are really not that bright. Those against vaccines because of what they have been told are the same ones that believed Trump when he was riding their Birther Wave.

These people have every tight to keep their kids from vaccines, but those who don't should be required to home school their kids. No vaccine certificate then the kids are not allowed in public schools.

and when they do catch something that could has re been avoided with a vaccine the kids need to be isolated from at-risk Americans. like pregnant women.

As far as Trump's stupid comment on Autism coming from the vaccines, that has ben scientifically proven wrong . Typical Trump

“These people have every tight to keep their kids from vaccines”

Do they? There’s a lot of dead kids out there who’s parents bought into the hysteria and refused to vaccinate. These children would be alive today if they were vaccinated. Another issue is that anti-vaxx parents don’t stop at vaccines. They’re often skeptical of all healthcare and end up killing their child. Mandatory vaccines aren’t controversial in many other countries. Why this anti-science nonsense is so prevalent in the U.S. is highly concerning. Common sense is a rare commodity these days.

Why should helpless children be at the mercy of ignorant parents? Have you seen the pictures of children suffering from diseases once thought to be eradicated? They’re covered in sores, hooked up to machines and suffering. Why on earth do you believe parents have the right to make decisions that could result in death and widespread outbreak? The World Health Organization now considers vaccine hesitancy to be one of the top ten threats facing humanity. This isn’t about choice, it’s protecting children and the public.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 am

How do you live with the fact that you killed your own child by denying them the protection of modern medicine? I find it insane. There are enough things out there to fend off without this dumb growing practice. I say thank whomever was smart enough to find these cures.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:44 am

So, first of all, like it or not, we do have a right to refuse any medical care we don't want to partake in. Sooooooo, as we all should know and understand, while you are free to exercise your rights, you are not free from the consequences that may arise from exercising those rights.

If you choose to not vaccinate your child, your child can not attend public school. End sentence.

A private school may be an option, but the state should not certify any school that does not require vaccinations as a condition of enrollment.

Further, at the federal level, SNAP, WIC, etc, should also be withheld until a vaccination certificate is presented.

The religious exemption is a little trickier...First Amendment and all. Personally, the government would provide a tax credit to the stupid...I mean principled parents, that can only be claimed if it is used at an accredited school.

Yeah, I know, kinda simplistic and contrary to my strong libertarian streak, but your rights end where my rights begin. And, I'm a firm believer that the herd protection provided by immunizations out-weighs any concerns you may have that your little urchin will develop a malady that drops it on the autism spectrum.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

Airstud

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 am

fr8mech wrote:
The religious exemption is a little trickier.

Is it? California did away with the religious exemption several years ago and the state seems stable enough (for California anyway :boggled: ).
Pancakes are delicious.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 am

Airstud wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
The religious exemption is a little trickier.

Is it? California did away with the religious exemption several years ago and the state seems stable enough (for California anyway :boggled: ).

I am not sure, but I thought I saw on the news about California doing that and then they made so many exemptions as to make it easy again to attend public schools without a vaccination. It was because of an outbreak at Disneyland.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 am

Airstud wrote:

A quick Google-machine search turns up that medical exemptions, quite coincidentally of course, have increased. It looks like the elimination of the religious exemption has withstood the state court challenge. i wonder if anyone is going to try and kick up to a federal court.

DocLightning

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:

A quick Google-machine search turns up that medical exemptions, quite coincidentally of course, have increased. It looks like the elimination of the religious exemption has withstood the state court challenge. i wonder if anyone is going to try and kick up to a federal court.

There is Federal precedent that 1) religious freedom does not grant you the right to put other children at risk 2) public health directives can trump religious liberty.

As for Senate Bill 277, the increase in medical exemptions (going rate $350-400/ea) are an issue and there may yet be legislation on that. However, the rise in medical exemptions has not countered the prior refusals.

fr8mech wrote:
Yeah, I know, kinda simplistic and contrary to my strong libertarian streak, but your rights end where my rights begin.

The other issue is that children have rights. You can't just decline to feed or educate your child.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tommy1808

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 am

fr8mech wrote:
So, first of all, like it or not, we do have a right to refuse any medical care we don't want to partake in. Sooooooo, as we all should know and understand, while you are free to exercise your rights, you are not free from the consequences that may arise from exercising those rights..

yes, YOU have the right to refuse any medical care you don´t want to partake in. But your children are not you, they are their own persons, not your property. If you turn out to be a terrible guardian for them and their health, the government, specifically in place to protect the rights of its citizens, job is to keep you from doing harm to your kids (by putting the in potentially life threatening and totally avoidable danger) and to keep you from hurting/killing other peoples kids with your un-vaccinated bio hand grenade. .

If you choose to not vaccinate your child, your child can not attend public school. End sentence.

A private school may be an option, but the state should not certify any school that does not require vaccinations as a condition of enrollment.

Further, at the federal level, SNAP, WIC, etc, should also be withheld until a vaccination certificate is presented.

Generally correct, but why should a private school be allowed to be a public health risk? Do they carry fully liability if that school is a ground zero for a Measles outbreak, with the insurance coverage to pay those potentially billions in damages?

best regards
Thomas

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 am

tommy1808 wrote:
But your children are not you, they are their own persons, not your property.

Sure, they are. I have complete responsibility for those children. I slowly relinquish that responsibility as they get older.

tommy1808 wrote:
If you turn out to be a terrible guardian for them and their health, the government, specifically in place to protect the rights of its citizens, job is to keep you from doing harm to your kids (by putting the in potentially life threatening and totally avoidable danger) and to keep you from hurting/killing other peoples kids with your un-vaccinated bio hand grenade. .

Almost correct. Not vaccinating a child, in of itself, has not been determined to be abuse worthy of terminating parental rights...at least not here in the US.

tommy1808 wrote:
but why should a private school be allowed to be a public health risk?

Because they are a private school. Now, like I wrote earlier, I have no problem with the state refusing accreditation to schools that don't have a mandatory vaccination policy.

DocLightning wrote:
There is Federal precedent that 1) religious freedom does not grant you the right to put other children at risk 2) public health directives can trump religious liberty.
[/quote]

Has that been ruled on by The Supreme Court?

bgm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:37 am

fr8mech wrote:
Sure, they are. I have complete responsibility for those children. I slowly relinquish that responsibility as they get older.

Although you have a responsibility towards your kids, they are not your property. If you abuse your responsibilities (abuse/neglect etc), your kids will be taken away from you. The question is whether deliberately not vaccinating your kids is abuse. IMO it is, as you are neglecting your child's health by refusing to protect him/her from some pretty nasty diseases, as well as to others who have not been vaccinated.

Anti-vaxxers are a public health hazard and should be treated as such.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - old white men haven't been this terrified since Martin Luther King Jr.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 am

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Sure, they are. I have complete responsibility for those children.

The hell? You think you have property rights to human beings? Have some slaves too?

You have responsibility for them, you don´t have ownership.

best regards
Thomas

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 am

bgm wrote:
If you abuse your responsibilities (abuse/neglect etc), your kids will be taken away from you.

Yes, as I noted, when I partially agreed with Tommy. I disagreed with his proposition that not vaccinating is harming your kids, not the fact that the state can take your children away.

bgm wrote:
The question is whether deliberately not vaccinating your kids is abuse. IMO it is,

Personally, I don't think it's abuse. Neither does the law.

bgm wrote:
as you are neglecting your child's health by refusing to protect him/her from some pretty nasty diseases,

What if I let him ride his bike without a helmet? No floaties in the pool? You get the idea, As parents we have wide discretion on how we "protect" our children.

bgm wrote:
, as well as to others who have not been vaccinated.

Quite simply, an individual doesn't really have a legal responsibility to others in this regard.

bgm wrote:
Anti-vaxxers are a public health hazard and should be treated as such.

I don't disagree. Which is why I advocate banning them and their spawn from schools, or camps, or whatever.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
The hell? You think you have property rights to human beings? Have some slaves too?

Come on Tommy, you've sparred with me before and you know where I stand with my children, especially when they were younger. I had complete responsibility for them, and would be held responsible for them. As they've gotten older, that sliding scale moves from me (and the wife) to them.

I'm pretty sure you know I didn't actually mean I owned them.

Jouhou

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

tommy1808 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

You have responsibility for them, you don´t have ownership.

best regards
Thomas

In US law children *are* property of their parents. I feel this discussion has been had before. Regardless of a parent's parenting style with their kids, they still have to deal with them as defined by law, which is pretty much as property.

On topic: to push back on anti-vaxxer created outbreaks, they should allow and even recommend mmr booster shots to adults. The mmr vaccine doesn't actually provide lifelong immunity, maybe lifelong partial immunity. Anti vaxxer kids are making adults sick. We should be allowed access to a booster in light of this problem.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 am

Jouhou wrote:
On topic: to push back on anti-vaxxer created outbreaks, they should allow and even recommend mmr booster shots to adults. The mmr vaccine doesn't actually provide lifelong immunity, maybe lifelong partial immunity. Anti vaxxer kids are making adults sick. We should be allowed access to a booster in light of this problem.

Agreed. Nothing prevents you from getting the shots, if you feel you need them. I received a bunch of "boosters" and other (yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, etc.) immunizations a few years ago when I was assigned to our accident investigation team. I just went and got them.

WIederling

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

But you don't "fill" that responsibility. Bad parent.
You endanger your own kids
and
you endanger those that can not be vaccinated for real personal health reasons.
Murphy is an optimist

fr8mech

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm

WIederling wrote:
But you don't "fill" that responsibility. Bad parent.
You endanger your own kids
and
you endanger those that can not be vaccinated for real personal health reasons.

That is your opinion, and quite frankly, mine, but we provide a wide latitude for parents to determine what is the best way to raise our kids. And, failing to vaccinate does not meet the standard of “abuse”.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:43 pm

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Come on Tommy, you've sparred with me before and you know where I stand with my children, especially when they were younger. I had complete responsibility for them, and would be held responsible for them. As they've gotten older, that sliding scale moves from me (and the wife) to them.

I'm pretty sure you know I didn't actually mean I owned them.

Yeah, you and i just draw the line in different places.

fr8mech wrote:
nd, failing to vaccinate does not meet the standard of “abuse”.

if your kid ends up dead, or impaired, because of not being vaccinated it would even go beyond mere "abuse". If a parents negligence gets a child killed, it should be prosecuted as a felony, like i assume usually happens if reckless endangerment gets someone killed.

And that is a matter of definition, we throw parents in jail for up to half a year if they don´t send their kids to school .... and rightly so.... because that is abusive.

Jouhou wrote:
In US law children *are* property of their parents. I feel this discussion has been had before. Regardless of a parent's parenting style with their kids, they still have to deal with them as defined by law, which is pretty much as property..

Yeah, i know that is one of the areas where US law is way beyond the wave.

best regards
Thomas

Zentraedi

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:12 am

Why don't we introduce some accountability into the mix?

Your kid gets measles and possibly dies? Why not treat it like a parent that doesn't use seat belts for their kids or those vegan parent who fed their newborn nuts/juice till it died?

Your unvaccinated kid pops up with measles in public? Why not treat that like people with AIDS/HIV who engage unprotected sex without informing their partners? Just make the parents financially and criminally liable for any consequences.