1337Delta764
Topic Author

Are fashion companies' traditional fashion calendars hurting department stores?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 am

With the traditional seasonal fashion calendar of spring/summer (January-June for most brands) and fall/winter (July-December for most brands), department stores typically stock what the fashion companies give them, regardless of region. However, with the proliferation of online shopping, those in warm climates can buy available stock of spring/summer clothes year-round, while those in very cold climates can buy fall/winter stock while it is still cold in the early part of the spring/summer selling cycle.

Does anyone think that with online shopping, the traditional fashion calendars are hurting department stores? I am pretty sure the polar vortex isn't helping the department stores sell the spring/summer clothes that are on shelves now. I am pretty sure that many in Florida/Texas/Arizona/Hawaii probably would prefer to buy spring/summer clothes year-round if given the choice, while those in Minnesota/North Dakota would prefer to wait until it gets warmer to buy their spring/summer clothes instead of buying them in January or February.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

stl07

Re: Are fashion companies' traditional fashion calendars hurting department stores?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:34 pm

I was looking at H and M's website advertising palm trees saying Spring break while I was off due to the polar vortex. Needless to say, I didn't buy much
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

seb146

Re: Are fashion companies' traditional fashion calendars hurting department stores?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 pm

I don't think it is the seasonal catalogs that are hurting traditional department stores. I think it is online options that are. We in the Pacific Northwest are about to recieve our first lowland snow of the season. Stores are switching over to spring and summer looks. Thankfully, I can order a parka, balaclava, long johns, boat shoes, aqua Henley, and peach colored shorts and have it all sent overnight so I can be ready for the 1.5" of snow and bitterly cold 33* temperatures we are expecting over the next couple of days and the Robertson's yacht party in May.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Channex757

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:20 am

More importantly, the recent rise of the phenomenon of drop shipping is going to cripple the bricks and mortar clothing retailers even further. The ability to buy direct from the factory and have your choices mailed directly to you, cutting out all middlemen entirely.

Why go to a posh city centre store and pay £50 for a shirt, when the same shirt can be ordered for £3 from a drop shipper? The only issue being slow delivery times. High end retail brands will survive but increasingly just sell through their own outlets, such as Gucci or Ted Baker. It's the midmarket where the volume is and that's where the drop shippers are targeting with ultra low pricing.

EstherLouise

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 am

I dunno. I buy my clothes at a farm supply store.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83