casinterest
Topic Author

Best Medicine for a Cold

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 am

When you get hit with a cold, what do you do?

I take some Tylenol cold and sinus maximum strength(Walmart Equate knockoff) and Ibuprofen with some Afrin when needed.

Anyone got better suggestions?
Where ever you go, there you are.

B777LRF

Re: Best Medicine for a Cold

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 am

Hot cup of tea, with a splash of rum if that takes your fancy, go to bed for a day or two.

Filling yourself with drugs is, generally speaking, not a good idea. Let the body fight it off the natural way.
Signature. You just read one.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 am

B777LRF wrote:
Hot cup of tea, with a splash of rum if that takes your fancy, go to bed for a day or two.

Filling yourself with drugs is, generally speaking, not a good idea. Let the body fight it off the natural way.

.... and of course drugs don´t help viral infections.

Relax, lots of fluids, do some binge watching..... maybe some paracetamol to manage fever.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Airstud

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 am

Over-the-counter-stuff: Afrin is the best at clearing a stuffed-up-doce but it's A) expensive and 2) almost troublingly powerful. The fumes that come out of that little spray bottle make me question whether I really ought to put this stuff anywhere near my body; so I only use it when I'm REEALLY stuffed up; like can't-breathe-at-all I'm talking about.

Mentholated cough drops (usually Halls but Robitussin also makes one (or made one) that I can't find anymore). The menthol vapors usually do a good enough job of easing the nasal congestion so that I don't have to nuke it with Afrin.

And of course lots of chicken noodle soup (Progresso) and hot tea. :smile:
Pancakes are delicious.

trpmb6

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm

I used to take mucinex and other OTC drugs as soon as I thought something was coming down. Anymore I do a 50%hydrogen peroxide 50% water mix, gargle that, then sleep it off. Do the gargle again the next morning. That usually helps. I found that mucinex only attacks the symptoms, and doesn't fix the underlying problem (the infection) and can just prolong it.

cledaybuck

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Rest.

DL717

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Hot Tea, Hot Cider, Hot Honey Water for the throat and Advil for a headache. And of course zzzzzz...
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

NoTime

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Alka Seltzer Severe Cold & Flu. That, combined with rest, has been pretty successful for me.

Honestly, the best thing used to be the Zicam "medicated spoons" that you could open up and stir into coffee or juice. It didn't taste great, but it worked like a charm. However, I haven't seen those in the stores for a long time.

Aesma

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:38 pm

paracetamol if something hurts, one feverish night under the duvet and I'm good to go.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mbmbos

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

I have had a lot of success with taking zinc tablets early on in a cold. It doesn't cure a cold but it seems to coat mucous membranes so the virus can't get a foothold and make them swell and produce lots of the green stuff. So the cold stays around just as long, but less misery trying to decongest my head and lungs.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

OA412

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 pm

I’m battling one now. I usually just take a few over the counter medications for the symptoms, I.e. ibuprofen for fever and headache, cough drops, and sometimes cough syrup. My doc prescribed some cough syrup with codeine to help me sleep and it really did the trick last night. Otherwise, lost of rest, tea, soup, and Hulu/Netflix.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Zinc lozenges at the first sign of a cold, Mucinex 600mg (regular strength) to minimize mucus, Sudafed to stop post-nasal drip, and alternating Advil/Tylenol for fever or pain.

And yes, Afrin to open your nose up until you’re on the other side of the cold.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Airstud

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:07 am

Mucus.

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

SOBHI51

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Coke (cola), ginger and lemon, bring to boil, drink go to bed and cover yourself.
Next morning you will wake up trenched with your own sweat and feeling better.
Chinese remedy learned in Hong Kong
Now the French one given to me in a hotel in Paris, someone mentioned it here but missed an item
Rum or Cognac, hot tea and honey

Get well soon
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Flanker7

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Slice two lemons in have and boil in hot water. Put honey and two measures of wiskey and two paracetamol in a tall glass and add the boiling water with lemons and drink hot. Do this before you go to bed. Works for me.
Flying blue only if possible

DTWorld

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 am

Agreed on the previous posts.

I was coming close to one after getting some little bug from my dad who still has it (mostly a dry cough). I got some Zicam chewables at CVS and those worked perfectly. I wasn't over it completely, but it was to the point where I hardly noticed I had a cold. My understanding with the chemistry of it is that it makes your body inhospitable for the cold to spread, so it weakens and thus makes it easier for your white blood cells to kill it. I suppose some extra fluids to dilute it further wouldn't hurt either.

fr8mech

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pm

A hot toddy (bourbon, water, lemon slice, cinnamon stick & nutmeg) when I’m staying home, plus Afrin before bed to keep the passages clear, so I can sleep. Sleep is the great healer, and a stuffed up nasal passages inhibit said healer.

When alcohol is prohibited, Mucinex (or whatever the Kroger generic is) and Ibuprofen should any pain present itself. A constant flow of strong, hot green tea is also present.

Of course, this is with the understanding that none of this actually cures anything, except the sleep and rest, and all I’m doing is managing the symptoms so that I can rest in relative comfort.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Zinc has been proven to shorten the duration of a cold but it needs to be taken immediately when symptoms show up (usually sore throat). I take Zicam as soon as I feel the post-nasal drip. Then I go with medicine that targets the symptom (so, Sudafed for nasal congestion and Mucinex expectorant for cough). I don't always show a fever and taking a multi-symptom medicine for just one thing is more trouble than it's worth (no need for Acetaminophen if you don't have a headache or fever). I'll only take Tylenol for bed but I always get agitated so I use it sparingly.

I used to swear by Afrin, but the doctors warned me against it since it's a steroid. Sure it provides almost instant relief, but they're habit forming. So instead, I've done nasal irrigation and saline sprays and haven't looked back since.

TL;DR:
-Zicam immediately after post-nasal drip
-Mucinex expectorant for cough
-Sudafed for nasal congestion
-Saline sprays and nasal irrigations instead of Afrin
-Tylenol for headache

And lots of ZZZZs

DTWorld wrote:
My understanding with the chemistry of it is that it makes your body inhospitable for the cold to spread, so it weakens and thus makes it easier for your white blood cells to kill it.
Close. Specifically it prevents the cold virus from binding to the cells and prevents its replication.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dieuwer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Anybody knows how long it takes for a medication to become active? For instance, I have taken Nyquil two hours before bedtime, but I doubt it does much, if anything.
Nasal spray works within 30 minutes, even with the minute quantities I use (I usually only use it in the most congested side of my nose).

fr8mech

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I used to swear by Afrin, but the doctors warned me against it since it's a steroid. Sure it provides almost instant relief, but they're habit forming. So instead, I've done nasal irrigation and saline sprays and haven't looked back since.

Yeah, unfortunately irrigation and saline don’t do the job for me. The addictive qualities of Afrin, et al, are the reason I will not use them unless I’m laying down to sleep. I’ll suffer through the day with a stuffy nose.

Dieuwer wrote:
Anybody knows how long it takes for a medication to become active? For instance, I have taken Nyquil two hours before bedtime, but I doubt it does much, if anything.
Nasal spray works within 30 minutes, even with the minute quantities I use (I usually only use it in the most congested side of my nose).

I suspect it really depends on the person and whether you’ve just eaten or are well hydrated among other things. Nasal sprays are almost instant for me, the other stuff seems to act within a 30 minutes or so, but realistically, in the OTC doses, the stuff is barely effective. That’s why I tend to ignore dosing quanitites and take a little more, but tend to extend the dosing period.

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 am

fr8mech wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately irrigation and saline don’t do the job for me. The addictive qualities of Afrin, et al, are the reason I will not use them unless I’m laying down to sleep. I’ll suffer through the day with a stuffy nose.

The best nasal decongestant I've ever used was a prescription called Tyzine. Two drops in each nasal passage and it was as if nothing was happening. Don't know if it's still prescribed or if it's now OTC...or if there's an OTC equivalent to it.

But yeah, I'll use Afrin during the first night of nasal congestion, which seems to be the night you can never breathe properly unless it's through your mouth.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DocLightning

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 am

Cetirizine (ZYRTEC) has been shown to have some nonspecific antinflammatory properties that may relieve viral upper respiratory infection symptoms. Otherwise, liberal irrigation with saline in the nose and judicious use of antipyretics (acetaminophen/paracetamol and ibuprofen) and decongestants is all there is.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 am

i used to take NyQuil day and night cold medicine, only because that is what was available when i was a child. When i got older, i found out if it can get rid of my dripping nose, i am so much more functional and my colds go away almost immediately. I buy sudafed I think different things work for different people. I think you should experiment. However, you should be careful not to let anything drag on too long. Now i just go to the Dr. when i'm getting worse instead of better. I usually get a steroid shot, but only because i have MS and steroids tends to work well for me.

alfa164

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 am

casinterest wrote:
When you get hit with a cold, what do you do? I take some Tylenol cold and sinus maximum strength(Walmart Equate knockoff) and Ibuprofen with some Afrin when needed. Anyone got better suggestions?

1) Tylenol Cold and Sinus in the daytime;

2) Nyquil at night.

Years ago, it seemed that oyster stew and hot tea both helped.... but maybe that was just because I like oyster stew and hot tea...

;)

My doctor once told me you should never take the same cold-and-sinus medications continuously, but should vary them randomly. Perhaps Doc Lightning can give us his view on this.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

cpd

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:23 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Cetirizine (ZYRTEC) has been shown to have some nonspecific antinflammatory properties that may relieve viral upper respiratory infection symptoms. Otherwise, liberal irrigation with saline in the nose and judicious use of antipyretics (acetaminophen/paracetamol and ibuprofen) and decongestants is all there is.

Zyrtec - the hay fever medicine? Hmm.

I seem to always get smashed when I get a cold. And it does horror things to my fitness too. :( Takes an age to get it back.

I find that nurofen helps a lot. And a drug we have here Codral Day and Night original formulation helps me sleep at night.

fr8mech

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Cetirizine (ZYRTEC) has been shown to have some nonspecific antinflammatory properties that may relieve viral upper respiratory infection symptoms.

That's good to know. Cetirizine-D is the wife’s allergy medicine of choice. We always have a ready supply.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
steroids tends to work well for me.

Steroids are prescribed if my cough lingers too long. Of course, that probably means that the cold has evolved (devolved?) into bronchitis and I also receive get a Z-PAC with the steroid tablets.

Max Q

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:33 am

First sign, Zicam, nothing better

Taken early enough it will stop a cold in its tracks
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

TS-IOR

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:57 am

fresh bio and organic orange and all citrus, olive oil and lemon juice, thyme and rosemary in boiling water

usflyer msp

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 am

I make Cajun Tea.

Boil a ginger root in hot water

Add honey and cayenne pepper.

Add rum (if you a teetotaler you can leave it out, it still works), but it must be sugar cane juice based (aka French) rum not that crap (Spanish rum) made from molasses. I prefer Barbancourt from Haiti

Gulp as much as you can down in one shot

The cayenne pepper clears up any congestion, the ginger and honey soothe the throat, and the rum just makes you feel happy...