johnboy

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 am

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?

California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie

That settles it.
If the snowflakes can’t hack it, how in the world can I ever hope to remain here? Why, every other car has a Uhaul attached!
Oh wait, those are the lesbians on 2nd dates.

MSPNWA

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 am

jetero wrote:
You seem to have your panties in a very, very, very tight wad. I’m loving it!

Job training is an “outright subsidy.”

If you were a real conservative instead of someone perpetually lined up for a Trumpist circle jerk you might question why a state government would favor one business over another.

Maybe you’ll feel that way when (if?) you take over Daddy’s business.

I recommend stopping before you reach China. Foxconn is not getting any "outright subsidy" for job training.

Every state in the nation and the federal government are heavily subsidizing "job training" for the benefit of the overall public, and all businesses are reaping the rewards. And it's a liberal talking point that more training is needed "to meet the new economy" (this Foxconn plant, anyone?). Quite ironic, don't you think?

I'll take your fallacious personal attacks as a complement.

jetero

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 am

MSPNWA wrote:
jetero wrote:
You seem to have your panties in a very, very, very tight wad. I’m loving it!

Job training is an “outright subsidy.”

If you were a real conservative instead of someone perpetually lined up for a Trumpist circle jerk you might question why a state government would favor one business over another.

Maybe you’ll feel that way when (if?) you take over Daddy’s business.

I recommend stopping before you reach China. Foxconn is not getting any "outright subsidy" for job training.

Every state in the nation and the federal government are heavily subsidizing "job training" for the benefit of the overall public, not just a specific industry, and it's a liberal talking point that more training is needed "to meet the new economy" (this Foxconn plant, anyone?). Quite ironic, don't you think?

I'll take your fallacious personal attacks as a complement.

So you do acknowledge it is a subsidy? It’s neither here nor there. But dig those 12-inch heels in. You really seem to be invested in this. I will reiterate my sole contribution: this was never solely a tax credit based benefit package.

But you have written paragraphs and paragraphs and even more paragraphs. Somehow mansplaining (man-apologizing?) that the President, the Speaker of the House, the Governor of Wisconsin didn’t lie their a*sses off in hopes for votes seems to be a priori for MSPNWA. You really are a true conservative. Vomit.

Are you feeling “personally attacked” by facts? Can I send you a bottled water as compensation? I know you’re a solid champion of “free speech” so you certainly would never, ever whine.

(And what is the fallacy, exactly?)

P.S. It’s spelled compliment. It’s impossible to accept an adjective. You’re not nearly as smart as you think you are, but that’s par for the course these days.

WarRI1

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 am

jetero wrote:
That’s a pretty serious accusation you’re making WarRI1.

When I see one improvement in the stores and the products I buy, I will be the first to admit it is so. so far in my everyday life Nada!!!
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

casinterest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:08 am

So how many think FoxCONn will actually build an R&D facility of any size in Racine?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/te ... 758454.cms
wanese multinational electronics contract manufacturing giant Foxconn, which has already set up its India manufacturing facilities in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, has decided to set up its research and development centre for advanced industrial artificial intelligence at Hyderabad.

Looks like India is getting the good stuff
Where ever you go, there you are.

trpmb6

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 pm

2122M

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2019/02/01/foxconn-now-says-indeed-build-lcd-factory-wisconsin/2744111002/

Flip Flop Flip?

Not to be too cynical, but what did Trump do to sweeten the pot even more? If the dollars and cents didn't work yesterday, why do they work today?

For the record, I hope they do bring in jobs and money, I just know that companies like Foxconn are unlikely to change their minds on a huge financial decision based on sheer willpower from Trump.....

MSPNWA

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm

jetero wrote:
So you do acknowledge it is a subsidy? It’s neither here nor there. But dig those 12-inch heels in. You really seem to be invested in this. I will reiterate my sole contribution: this was never solely a tax credit based benefit package.

But you have written paragraphs and paragraphs and even more paragraphs. Somehow mansplaining (man-apologizing?) that the President, the Speaker of the House, the Governor of Wisconsin didn’t lie their a*sses off in hopes for votes seems to be a priori for MSPNWA. You really are a true conservative. Vomit.

Are you feeling “personally attacked” by facts? Can I send you a bottled water as compensation? I know you’re a solid champion of “free speech” so you certainly would never, ever whine.

P.S. It’s spelled compliment. It’s impossible to accept an adjective. You’re not nearly as smart as you think you are, but that’s par for the course these days.

So you can read closely enough to make fun of one letter, but you can't see my clear position on the term "subsidy"?

You can reiterate your initial position all you want, but when challenged about it after criticizing the knowledge of a poster, you displayed a lack of knowledge about the project. I'll let you continue to dig your own hole.

P.S. And for those that are reading this, when someone can't debate the topic and resorts to fallacious personal attacks, it means they've lost the debate.

casinterest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:11 pm

2122M wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2019/02/01/foxconn-now-says-indeed-build-lcd-factory-wisconsin/2744111002/

Flip Flop Flip?

Not to be too cynical, but what did Trump do to sweeten the pot even more? If the dollars and cents didn't work yesterday, why do they work today?

For the record, I hope they do bring in jobs and money, I just know that companies like Foxconn are unlikely to change their minds on a huge financial decision based on sheer willpower from Trump.....

Trump probably promised to make FoxConn's life miserable with import controls.
Either way , it will be interesting to see what actually happens in Wisconsin.

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:17 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

I'll believe it when I see it. It's nothing more than empty words until the jobs are really there.

Well, either that or Terry Gou is able to con Don the Con into giving more money to FoxCONn (All pun intended).

trpmb6

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:28 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

I'll believe it when I see it. It's nothing more than empty words until the jobs are really there.

Well, either that or Terry Gou is able to con Don the Con into giving more money to FoxCONn (All pun intended).

casinterest wrote:

I'm going to take my MAGA hat off here and say I wouldn't be surprised if we need to revisit this in a year and add another Flop to my original Flip Flop Flip comment.

drew777
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:38 pm

casinterest wrote:

The decision on the plant's future will be drug out until after the next election cycle.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

Whatever you call it. It's good news.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

coolian2

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
2122M wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

pArTy Of SmAlL gOvErNmEnT
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

casinterest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

casinterest wrote:

I'm going to take my MAGA hat off here and say I wouldn't be surprised if we need to revisit this in a year and add another Flop to my original Flip Flop Flip comment.

I never understood the plant in the first place.

Getting the raw materials would require extreme logistics just to bring everything together. This is something that is cheaper in China, Mexico and many other places. The incentives of course are a sweetener, but at the end of the day it is a plant for a product that may not be in demand in 2-3 years.

FoxConn just does not seem committed to building items in Wisconsin or in the US. Time will tell.

I do think we need some production back in the USA, but I am not sure a foreign company with no ties to the people or region is the way to do it. Especially if the President has to put on the "squeeze" to make it happen

jetero

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
jetero wrote:

So you can read closely enough to make fun of one letter, but you can't see my clear position on the term "subsidy"?

You can reiterate your initial position all you want, but when challenged about it after criticizing the knowledge of a poster, you displayed a lack of knowledge about the project. I'll let you continue to dig your own hole.

P.S. And for those that are reading this, when someone can't debate the topic and resorts to fallacious personal attacks, it means they've lost the debate.

Blah blah blah MSP, with a nice heaping side of victimhood, as per usual. What’s your point? Is it a subsidy or not? Dig a hole my arse.

From yesterday’s Bond Buyer, a newspaper of record for public finance, there are tax credits and subsidies. The plant is called “highly subsidized.”

https://www.bondbuyer.com/news/foxconns ... sure-bonds

trpmb6

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
FoxConn just does not seem committed to building items in Wisconsin or in the US. Time will tell.

I do think we need some production back in the USA, but I am not sure a foreign company with no ties to the people or region is the way to do it. Especially if the President has to put on the "squeeze" to make it happen

I think the only thing may possibly make building in the US somewhat of a winner is shipping costs honestly. (I think i mentioned that earlier) Plus the incentives. Building TVs is pretty labor intensive. Perhaps they're looking to find other ways to automate and what not. We're seeing that in the aviation industry now. But still, labor is a major driver in costs (and decisions) on almost everything.

So I'm with you on this casinterest, I don't see/understand how the numbers work. And I particularly don't like the use of incentives to sweeten the deal to make it work. Because once those go away, guess what, the business case goes away and away the jobs go.

jetero

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Plus the incentives.

Subsidies?

winginit

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 pm

I will confess to not being particularly well versed on the terms of the deal that's bringing Foxconn to Wisconsin, but just on the surface are these incentive/subsidy figures correct? $4.8 BILLION for 13,000 jobs?

Someone please correct my math if I'm wrong, but that's more than twice what the combined New York/Virginia/Tennessee paid for 50,000 jobs?

No wonder Scott Walker got voted out of office. What a colossal failure.

jetero

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm

winginit wrote:
I will confess to not being particularly well versed on the terms of the deal that's bringing Foxconn to Wisconsin, but just on the surface are these incentive/subsidy figures correct? $4.8 BILLION for 13,000 jobs?

Someone please correct my math if I'm wrong, but that's more than twice what the combined New York/Virginia/Tennessee paid for 50,000 jobs?

No wonder Scott Walker got voted out of office. What a colossal failure.

In fairness they should be itemized and considered from an economic point of view--these numbers have a life of their own and can be measured any one of a number of ways.

That said, regardless of the number, from a policy perspective, a traditional conservative and libertarian argument would be against such selective intervention to distort the dynamics of the market.

I am of the opinion that legislation should be passed (or a constitutional amendment) to severely curtail any state and local government from offering economic development incentives under the guise of interstate commerce--it's the only way to stop the race to the bottom.

winginit

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 pm

jetero wrote:
I am of the opinion that legislation should be passed (or a constitutional amendment) to severely curtail any state and local government from offering economic development incentives under the guise of interstate commerce--it's the only way to stop the race to the bottom.

There's a great NPR podcast on that topic here

jetero

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 pm

winginit wrote:
jetero wrote:

Oooooooooo, that looks right up my alley! Thanks for the suggestion!

mham001

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:14 am

WarRI1 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
1.5 % of 13,000. Sounds about right for a typical Republican/Trump promise.

Their coming back, ladies and gentlemen, the jobs are coming back. How come I who checks labels of origin on everything I buy including food do not see one Iota of proof of that, not in the hardware store, sport stores, tools, automobiles, clothing, plumbing. Absolutely nothing has improved, they are full of shit, they are liars and you can take that to the bank. You will not be putting much in the bank money wise for sure. :liar: :liar:

Haha.

Did you see the jobs report today? Probably not, it was off the front page quickly, it didn't fit the desired results. 304,000 new jobs last month and wages rising - despite the shutdown. 13,000 in manufacturing. We should do that again!

frmrCapCadet

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 am

And wages are up about 1% for the bottom 99%. What else is new? And of course an extra trillion of debt is OK too.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DL717

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:08 am

drew777 wrote:
They will instead focus on creating a "technology hub." So much for blue collar jobs. I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.

https://www.apnews.com/c07c42179511472c970cca2a6f876fbf

They see what’s coming from the new Communist Governor. Smart move.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Dieuwer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:26 pm

winginit wrote:
jetero wrote:

I suppose we could copy-n-paste the "Illegal State Aid" directive from the EU...

seb146

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 pm

DL717 wrote:
drew777 wrote:
They will instead focus on creating a "technology hub." So much for blue collar jobs. I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.

The incoming governor is not Republican, so s/he must be communist.

Also, Walker and the REPUBLICAN controlled Wisconsin legislature passed several laws severely limiting the incoming governor's powers.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 am

seb146 wrote:
Also, Walker and the REPUBLICAN controlled Wisconsin legislature passed several laws severely limiting the incoming governor's powers.

Saving them from things getting worse than they otherwise would.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Francoflier

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 am

DL717 wrote:
Saving them from things getting worse than they otherwise would.

Mind being a bit more substantial?

WI's economy has been doing good lately. It has recovered from the GFC like the rest of the country. The economic data is all in the green. It still has issues regarding the percentage of employees on relatively low wages and general economic disparity, which can generally be solved through balanced increases in minimum wages in times of good economic performance and social programs... all things the GOP is famous for, especially under its current flavor, right?
:scratchchin:

I mean, it would be nice to have a reasoned and substantiated debate with the Trump crowd rather than the usual simplistic and baseless slogans that aim to encourage emotion-fueled blind fanaticism...
...alas.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

jetero

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:42 am

Oh Francoflier, don’t be silly, of course the answer is the new governor is a Democrat.

I’m sure the same will be said when GM and Ford get done with their thousands of layoffs in Michigan.

But a good try, Francoflier, to try to pry anything of substance out of the Littlest Delta.

Francoflier

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 am

Meh... Can't blame a guy for trying.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

zakuivcustom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
drew777 wrote:

And I find it funny that DL717 just throw out the term "communist". You know, in a real communist system, the state government would have took over that plant, and waste billions of dollars building some plant that's not all that productive, inefficient, and ultimately the money ends up in some elites even though it's suppose to be "shared".

Nope, a businessman (Terry Gou) making a decision base on economic condition (supply and demand, cost, etc., which are all some of the fundamentals of capitalism), the "central gov't" (In this case, both Wisconsin GOP for trying to salvage their face and a prez, who's (at least in name) Republican, that just keep picking winners and losers) and (at least try to) interfere with capitalistic business decision, and somehow a Democrats is to be blame b/c Evers wants to take away the subsidies.

jetero

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:59 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

And I find it funny that DL717 just throw out the term "communist". You know, in a real communist system, the state government would have took over that plant, and waste billions of dollars building some plant that's not all that productive, inefficient, and ultimately the money ends up in some elites even though it's suppose to be "shared".

Nope, a businessman (Terry Gou) making a decision base on economic condition (supply and demand, cost, etc., which are all some of the fundamentals of capitalism), the "central gov't" (In this case, both Wisconsin GOP for trying to salvage their face and a prez, who's (at least in name) Republican, that just keep picking winners and losers) and (at least try to) interfere with capitalistic business decision, and somehow a Democrats is to be blame b/c Evers wants to take away the subsidies.

ZC, don’t you understand that this is all how communism starts and it’s all part of Evers’s ingenious plan? It certainly doesn’t start with nationalist rally after nationalist rally or anything.

c933103

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Flip Flop Flip?

casinterest wrote:
I never understood the plant in the first place.

Getting the raw materials would require extreme logistics just to bring everything together. This is something that is cheaper in China, Mexico and many other places. The incentives of course are a sweetener, but at the end of the day it is a plant for a product that may not be in demand in 2-3 years.

My understanding is that Foxconn's intention was to build a highly autonomous factory in the America which is something America can do better than other countries, but then local politicians dream of the traditional labor intensive factory jobs, which simply wouldn't make sense for Foxconn as you only need to look at the level of salary, working condition and working hours in their Chinese plants and compares to American workers expectations to see why it won't be working, unless American workers would be willing to accept 300USD/month salary with 14 hours/day working hour doing repetitive jobs and only 4 or so days holiday every months doing simple but demanding repetitive tasks.
As such, it seems to me that the recent series of report are merely a tactics to change the type of factory they're building into what they want. First they claim they're going to change it into a R&D center instead, which obviously would result in a lot of backlashes, and then they now reveal that we are going to build a factory there anyway, which make it seems like they are keeping up their promises, except it would probably be the type of autonomous factories that use relatively less amount of higher-paid labors.

nitrohelper

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

One of the primary uses for the complex is to be glass manufacturing - Racine has a large allocation of water from Lake Michigan from the manufacturing plants that no longer exist, and as you know making glass requires water...
Racine & Kenosha have had several years of strong growth due to companies moving to Wisconsin from Illinois because of the large tax increases south of the border.
Illinois developers now beginning to build housing in Wisconsin because of the 60% increase in IL. property taxes a few years ago and another increase is expected because of the huge debts in the state pension programs.
The infrastructure improvements by the local governments for the 2000+ acre site will be used for project development even if Foxconn disappears.

luckyone

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 am

nitrohelper wrote:
One of the primary uses for the complex is to be glass manufacturing - Racine has a large allocation of water from Lake Michigan from the manufacturing plants that no longer exist, and as you know making glass requires water...
Racine & Kenosha have had several years of strong growth due to companies moving to Wisconsin from Illinois because of the large tax increases south of the border.
Illinois developers now beginning to build housing in Wisconsin because of the 60% increase in IL. property taxes a few years ago and another increase is expected because of the huge debts in the state pension programs.
The infrastructure improvements by the local governments for the 2000+ acre site will be used for project development even if Foxconn disappears.

Not to nitpick, but the State of Illinois hasn’t levied a property tax since 1932. All property taxes are local municipalities, and some of them are indeed high. However, any growth in Racine or Kenosha Counties will only be at the expense of the far northern burbs. There will only be so many people leaving the Chicago burbs for Wisconsin because for all it’s problems all the job infrastructure is in the city and burbs on the I-90 corridor—neither of which are conducive to living in Wisconsin. And most of the North Side is white collar, which again won’t find their salaries equaled in Wisconsin. And I say this as someone who has been employed in both states.