Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Anyone buy a new vacuum cleaner lately ?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 pm

My ancient but reliable Bernina finally
bit the dust

Need a new vacuum, simple, powerful and
reliable are the main requirements

Looking at Sebo and Miele currently, anyone have suggestions ?

TTailedTiger

Re: Anyone buy a new vacuum cleaner lately ?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 pm

I have a Miele C3 Marin and like it a lot. Keep in mind that with high end vacuums such as Miele and Sebo you can probably get a better deal by buying it at a local vacuum store. I got mine about $200 less than Amazon and they threw in some free stuff.

salttee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 am

I just bought a Dirt Devil because I remembered how good one I had before was. On Amazon it lists for $92, but I went for a returned product and only paid $53. This puppy will suck the paint off the walls and the newer models like mine are bagless which is important. If it ever goes bad, I'll get another one. I can't imagine why anyone would shell out a thousand bucks for a vacuum cleaner.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002F ... UTF8&psc=1

I donated a 6 month old Hoover Air Revolve Multi Position Bagless Corded Canister Vacuum to a local thrift shop. It was worthless, very weak vacuum.
https://www.hoover.ca/air-revolve-multi ... 090CA.html

TTailedTiger

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 am

salttee wrote:
I just bought a Dirt Devil because I remembered how good one I had before was. On Amazon it lists for $92, but I went for a returned product and only paid $53. This puppy will suck the paint off the walls and the newer models like mine are bagless which is important. If it ever goes bad, I'll get another one. I can't imagine why anyone would shell out a thousand bucks for a vacuum cleaner.

I donated a 6 month old Hoover Air Revolve Multi Position Bagless Corded Canister Vacuum to a local thrift shop. It was worthless, very weak vacuum.
https://www.hoover.ca/air-revolve-multi ... 090CA.html

For those with allergies a bagged vacuum with good filtration is important. The Miele is a sealed system. No dust will leak from the vacuum and it will register a 0 on a laser particle counter. The bag seals itself and all I have to do is put the bag in the trash. No cloud of dust and dirty bin. That's the reason for the higher price. Oh, and very quiet.

https://youtu.be/8f9Q74FFRVo

My previous house had a central vacuum and I plan on adding one to my new house later this year when renovations start. No recirculated air at all since it is center outside.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 am

I think Miele is too expensive for what you get. I like my Elektrolux.

ltbewr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 am

Shopping for a new vacuum really sucks.... :duck:
Some are big fans of Dyson brand models, but that are not cheap either.

flipdewaf

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 am

Got a Dyson V8 a last year and it’s superb, I can’t do the whole house in a single charge but then who has time for that anyway. Cordless is great for ad-hoc vacuuming. Corded is better if you want to spend time doing it in a more regimented fashion.

I have a young family with a mad fun dog so chaos rules the day, cordless wind for us.

I also own a “Hetty” (pink numeric “Henry”) which I use connected to a interceptor system in my workshop and gets brought out to suck up “chunks” and a makita cordless which I use when doing DIY as it takes the same batteries as my other power tools and was cheap so don’t mind if it does from too much plaster dust.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKV69

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 am

salttee wrote:

l

I have an old dirt devil that still kicks butt only brand I will own. Besides their pitch men are Golden Retrievers!

salttee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 am

NIKV69 wrote:
salttee wrote:

l

I have an old dirt devil that still kicks butt only brand I will own. Besides their pitch men are Golden Retrievers!

I know, 53 bucks and I expect mine to outlast me. The last one would have lasted forever if I hadn't run out of bags and tried to get away with just emptying the old ones and ended up with a leaky bag and leaked a bunch of fine grit into the motor. The expensive ones are just hocus pocus IMO.

aviationaware

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 am

I have a Dyson V10. I think you should either buy a really high end one or just a really cheap one and replace when it's trashed. Middle ground is a loser in my eyes.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 am

I use a Karcher WD3 Premium, which is an old vacuum but I got it on sale so it was quite cheap. Bought it to clean up my house after renovations and boy does it perform. It even has dual ports so that I can use it as a blower.

The cheapest Karcher vacuum is $149 on their website, maybe you can consider it?

https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-garden ... 81150.html

Flighty

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Electrolux small canister vacuum - (looked it up - it's called a Harmony) QUIET A+ craigslist purchase. I think it cost me $70.

Dirt devils are way too loud IMO, can't handle it.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I bought a Dyson from Groupon. One of the best investments I've made so far. The thing literally sucks.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43 pm

salttee wrote:
I know, 53 bucks and I expect mine to outlast me. The last one would have lasted forever if I hadn't run out of bags and tried to get away with just emptying the old ones and ended up with a leaky bag and leaked a bunch of fine grit into the motor. The expensive ones are just hocus pocus IMO.

Does anybody remember when vacuum cleaners had 300watt motors?
My mother had an old Hoover, with a cloth bag, and almost certainly just 250watts of suction. But without all the fancy filters, that did just fine. Our house was clean, and nobody went around coughing up dust.
The first vacuum I recall buying boasted 300w and disposable paper bags. Like you, I did my best to re-use those bags.
After a couple of years, the catalogues boasted super-improved models with 350w motors, then 420w, followed swiftly by 500w and 600w. The madness of it! I wondered then, where would it end?
Fast-forward 20 years and if your machine has anything less than 1.5kW, it can't suck shit. Mods take note - I'm being quite literal with my choice of words there. :lol:

Are we better off with all these energy sapping HEPA filters? If anything, allergies have become a bigger problem. Perhaps our houses (and the air within them) are too clean?

Meanwhile, two hours vacuuming per week will use more energy than everything you saved with all your LED light bulbs.

trpmb6

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:57 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
salttee wrote:

Fast-forward 20 years and if your machine has anything less than 1.5kW, it can't suck shit. Mods take note - I'm being quite literal with my choice of words there. :lol:

This reminds me of the picture that's out there showing a rumba that had come across a pile of dog poo. Suffice to say, they needed more than anything listed in this thread to take care of THAT clean up.

We just purchased a Shark Ninja literally two weeks ago.

The previous vacuum we had seemed to just not be picking up as much of the dog hair and gunk left behind by our kids on a daily basis anymore. Even if you pulled the hose off and put your hand to it you *thought* it had plenty of suction. But boy were we wrong. This shark ninja would probably suck the carpet up if it didn't have boundary constraints holding it in place. And the brush on it does a great job of "exfoliating" (for lack of a better word) the carpet, making it look fresher.

It's only downside - it doesn't have an automatic cord retract feature. Which we were spoiled with on our last vacuum and hardly that much of an inconvenience.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm

salttee wrote:

I know, 53 bucks and I expect mine to outlast me. The last one would have lasted forever if I hadn't run out of bags and tried to get away with just emptying the old ones and ended up with a leaky bag and leaked a bunch of fine grit into the motor. The expensive ones are just hocus pocus IMO.[/quote]

All I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_LMvnWdco0

EstherLouise

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:33 pm

I have a good, old-fashioned bag-type Hoover. It sucks well.

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I have a Miele C3 Marin and like it a lot. Keep in mind that with high end vacuums such as Miele and Sebo you can probably get a better deal by buying it at a local vacuum store. I got mine about $200 less than Amazon and they threw in some free stuff.

Had 2 Miele vacuums highly recommend. First one lasted 10 years.

salttee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Does anybody remember when vacuum cleaners had 300watt motors? My mother had an old Hoover, with a cloth bag, and almost certainly just 250watts of suction. But without all the fancy filters, that did just fine. Our house was clean, and nobody went around coughing up dust. The first vacuum I recall buying boasted 300w and disposable paper bags. Like you, I did my best to re-use those bags. After a couple of years, the catalogues boasted super-improved models with 350w motors, then 420w, followed swiftly by 500w and 600w.

I wouldn't pay much attention to "watts" as stated by marketing departments. "Watts" can be stated several different ways and is secondary to what you want to know anyway. Vacuum cleaners should have an inches of vacuum at an industry stated rate of flow, that's the way to state "suction" so it could be compared. But manufacturers don't state it that way, even the ones who put out products with good suction, probably because consumer complaints when people measure the vacuum on their home machines with dirty filters or low line voltage or worn out machines. To me a claim of quiet operation is analogous to a claim of weak vacuum, unless it is a claim of an exceptionally heavy machine. Quiet operation, light weight, good suction is not possible.

The better air filtering the machine has means more power from the motor is needed.

bunumuring

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 am

Hey guys,
After using a Dyson for years and years, and being very happy with it, I let myself be talked into a Miele by my mother when the Dyson got run over by a removalist's truck during a house move a few years ago.
The Miele is NOWHERE near as good as my old Dyson... And regularly has minor issues compared to none, ever, with the Dyson.
I actually can't wait to get a new Dyson. Worth every cent !
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:13 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Which model do you have ?

I’ve seen mixed reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 am

Max Q wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Which model do you have ?

I’ve seen mixed reviews

Electrolux EL4335B Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum, Watermelon Red