Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aerolimani
Topic Author

Canadian ATC send pizza to US controllers in show of solidarity

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/01/12/ ... _23641079/

Controllers from Moncton (YQM) and Gander (YQX) have bought pizza for their fellow New York controllers, in support as they work through the government shutdown. Nice gesture! :)

I should add that other centres across Canada have also done this for other cities’ ATC in the USA.

ExMilitaryEng

Re: Canadian ATC send pizza to US controllers in show of solidarity

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 am

Montréal and Toronto also pitched in...

"Montreal Center (CZUL) sent Boston Center pizza, while Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) sent pizza to their counterparts in Burlington, Vt. and LaGuardia, N.Y.
Toronto's area centre (CZYZ) sent pizza to their colleagues at Cleveland Center, while Vancouver bought pizza for Seattle Center."

Montréal's ATCs figured a pizza would taste better than a reheated poutine...
Last edited by ExMilitaryEng on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

smokeybandit

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 am

With Canadian bacon?

SuseJ772

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am

Canada continues its reputation as the nicest country.

danj555

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:48 am

Wow, that sportsmanship.

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 am

This is the Canadian way. Very nice.

CV990A

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 am

Very nice gesture, but I can also hear the MSP controllers going "hey, Winnipeg!" ;-)

whywhyzee

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:27 am

That's how we do! So proud!

bradyj23

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 am

CV990A wrote:
Very nice gesture, but I can also hear the MSP controllers going "hey, Winnipeg!" ;-)

I have a friend who works at MSP and Winnipeg did send pizza. I saw the pictures. Absolutely a great move by our friends to the north.

B727skyguy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 am

That was a very nice gesture on the part of the Canadian controllers. It's too bad TSA has rules against accepting anything including food from airport tenants. These poor federal workers are caught in a tug-of-war.

TMccrury

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 am

That is super cool. I am flying on Monday and without trying to seem like I'm bribing them, would like to leave a gift card or something so they could get some food from the Applebees in my airport. Just not sure how to go about that.

B727skyguy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 am

TMccrury wrote:
That is super cool. I am flying on Monday and without trying to seem like I'm bribing them, would like to leave a gift card or something so they could get some food from the Applebees in my airport. Just not sure how to go about that.

It's a nice thought on your part, but don't try giving the gift card to any TSA staff. They won't be able to accept it.

MIflyer12

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 am

Do the Quebecois do poutine pizza?

globalflyer

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:13 am

Awesome. Love to see this gesture during this horrible time in USA History. Mr. Trudeau and Canada will never cease to amaze!

musman9853

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 am

goddamit canada. stop hogging all the niceness.

phljjs

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:24 am

B727skyguy wrote:
That was a very nice gesture on the part of the Canadian controllers. It's too bad TSA has rules against accepting anything including food from airport tenants. These poor federal workers are caught in a tug-of-war.

Delta and UA have been providing meals to TSA at their hubs for the past day or two.

deltatim

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 am

That's really nice! Thank you Canada! Not all of us are happy with the current administration.... your gesture means a lot.

sonicruiser

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 am

Great gesture from our Canadian friends.

B727skyguy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:39 am

phljjs wrote:
Delta and UA have been providing meals to TSA at their hubs for the past day or two.

At my airport, one of the airlines bought the TSA people pizza. The TSA rejected it saying they could not accept any gifts. That airline's staff had a lot of pizza to eat! Perhaps the rule about accepting gifts is different at different TSA locations. One would think they would all follow the same rules.

737max8

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

Southwest had provided food/meals to TSA at many airport locations as well.

jjbiv

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:45 am

PIT airport has provided food to TSA too.

kaminari

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 am

FLL is doing a food drive for TSA/CBP also.

phljjs

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:08 am

B727skyguy wrote:
phljjs wrote:

At my airport, one of the airlines bought the TSA people pizza. The TSA rejected it saying they could not accept any gifts. That airline's staff had a lot of pizza to eat! Perhaps the rule about accepting gifts is different at different TSA locations. One would think they would all follow the same rules.

There are rules about Federal employees accepting gifts, but like most rules, there are always exceptions. The cost or value of the gift also comes into play. It's unfortunate that someone misunderstood the rules and a wonderful gesture went to waste.

Airlines and other stakeholders have provided meals to TSA and other government employees on many occasions over the years. Severe weather events, employee appreciation days and holidays are the usual times. AA and WN have parties and BBQs at PHL from time to time and invite TSA, as well as other airport employees.

While airlines providing food and words of appreciation are very nice gestures, especially during this shutdown, I'm sure part of the reason for doing so is to encourage TSA employees to come to work. If they know they'll be fed for free, they may be more likely to come to work and their lunch money could instead be used to feed family, pay bills, etc. The more TSA personnel that makes it to work, the better it is for the airline and their customers.

Canadian ATC has no dog in this fight. They are truly looking out for their American ATC colleagues out of the goodness of their heart.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am

phljjs wrote:
B727skyguy wrote:
phljjs wrote:

There are rules about Federal employees accepting gifts, but like most rules, there are always exceptions. The cost or value of the gift also comes into play. It's unfortunate that someone misunderstood the rules and a wonderful gesture went to waste.

Airlines and other stakeholders have provided meals to TSA and other government employees on many occasions over the years. Severe weather events, employee appreciation days and holidays are the usual times. AA and WN have parties and BBQs at PHL from time to time and invite TSA, as well as other airport employees.

While airlines providing food and words of appreciation are very nice gestures, especially during this shutdown, I'm sure part of the reason for doing so is to encourage TSA employees to come to work. If they know they'll be fed for free, they may be more likely to come to work and their lunch money could instead be used to feed family, pay bills, etc. The more TSA personnel that makes it to work, the better it is for the airline and their customers.

Canadian ATC has no dog in this fight. They are truly looking out for their American ATC colleagues out of the goodness of their heart.

Pizza is fair game. Gifts under a certain value are OK. Unless the pizza is really expensive or one person is hogging a whole pizza to their self. https://ask.fedweek.com/federal-governm ... les-gifts/

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:04 am

smokeybandit wrote:
With Canadian bacon?

I hear they prefer bacon bacon on their pizza.

Airstud

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

Well now I have to buy some Canadian maple syrup or something.

Something to contribute to Canada's economy.

Oh well, if that means a couple cases of Moosehead, and Crown Royal, I'll bite the bullet...

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am

Jouhou wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
With Canadian bacon?

I hear they prefer bacon bacon on their pizza.

Canadians prefer regular bacon. Just take a look in a Canadian grocery store.

trnswrld

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Very nice gesture by the airlines and Canadian ATC!! Obviously pizza isn't gonna fix the issue, but I think the airlines know that they are on borrowed time as far as the TSA goes. I personally feel that if this shutdown continues its only a matter of time before a airport has to get closed because TSA not showin up. Wouldn't blame'em either.

petertenthije

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

phljjs wrote:
The rules are a two-way street. There are also rules that say the TSA is expected to pay their staff every month. I think a lot of TSA managers (certainly those on an operational level) would understand and appreciate the gesture. It’s not as though the airlines and Canadian ATC has any ulterior motives like slipping drugs through checkpoints.

yegger

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm

I am VERY proud to say that this whole initiative started Thursday night in Edmonton ACC, with an ATC crew deciding to buy pizza for their counterparts in Anchorage ACC. It is amazing how this exploded over the next 2 days into all 7 Canadian ACC's along with several dozen towers buying for the NATCA Controllers!

dmg626

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:12 pm

kaminari wrote:

That seems a little over the top , didn’t know they were that destitute

Dutchy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm

It is kind of nice of the Canadians of course.

phljjs wrote:
There are rules about Federal employees accepting gifts.

Basic rule: exchange time for money. There are (moral) rules to get paid if I work somewhere. It is an absolute disgrace that normal employees are paying the price for this kindergarden politics.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
It is kind of nice of the Canadians of course.

phljjs wrote:
There are rules about Federal employees accepting gifts.

Basic rule: exchange time for money. There are (moral) rules to get paid if I work somewhere. It is an absolute disgrace that normal employees are paying the price for this kindergarden politics.

I don't understand how this isn't the point being taken away by everyone.

phljjs

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

petertenthije wrote:
phljjs wrote:
The rules are a two-way street. There are also rules that say the TSA is expected to pay their staff every month. I think a lot of TSA managers (certainly those on an operational level) would understand and appreciate the gesture. It’s not as though the airlines and Canadian ATC has any ulterior motives like slipping drugs through checkpoints.

I never said or implied anyone had intentions of doing anything illegal. My implication was that a possible motive (besides appreciation and goodwill) for the various airlines providing pizza, etc was trying to ensure the checkpoints were fully staffed to avoid passenger inconvenience and operational issues. It's a shame the TSA Managers at at least one airport didn't understand and appreciate the gesture.

Dutchy wrote:

I agree. I'm a Federal employee who is deemed "essential" and must report to work as scheduled, without a paycheck. Other than two days of pre-scheduled leave, I've reported to work on time everyday. I even went in early one day last week to help cover a staffing issue on the previous shift. I'm fortunate that I have a secondary stream of income that can keep the bills current for a while. Many of my colleagues aren't so fortunate.

airnorth

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm

dmg626 wrote:
kaminari wrote:

That seems a little over the top , didn’t know they were that destitute

I don't think it's over the top. Its surprising how many families live pay cheque to pay cheque, one small unanticipated expense, or one missed pay period, and it is a hardship. I don't think everyone is in that position, but a lot of people I know are.

Quick question, what is Canadian bacon? I can imagine the jokes already, but in Canada, I have never seen "Canadian" bacon, I guess its an American cut of bacon?

anrec80

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 am

B727skyguy wrote:

Yeah - but Canadian ATCs aren’t airport tenants, are they? They aren’t even in the county.

anrec80

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 am

airnorth wrote:
Quick question, what is Canadian bacon? I can imagine the jokes already, but in Canada, I have never seen "Canadian" bacon, I guess its an American cut of bacon?

It’s something like ham really. Not too much fat. Obtained from the back of the animal.

dmg626

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am

anrec80 wrote:
airnorth wrote:

It’s something like ham really. Not too much fat. Obtained from the back of the animal.

Back bacon, I believe that’s part of bob and Doug McKenzies 12 days of Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTwLqR071M

flyb

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 am

Canadian air traffic controllers have so far bought hundreds of pizzas for their brothers and sisters in the United States over the past few days after employees at Edmonton’s control centre took up a collection to buy pies for controllers in Anchorage, Alaska.

Peter Duffey, the head of the Canadian Air Traffic Control Association, estimates that as of Sunday afternoon some 300 pizzas had been received by American controllers, many of whom took to social media to express their gratitude.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/nation ... unterparts

aerolimani
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 am

dmg626 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
airnorth wrote:

Back bacon, I believe that’s part of bob and Doug McKenzies 12 days of Christmas

In Canada, Canadian bacon is simply called back bacon. If you ask me, it's a necessary ingredient in eggs benedict. If you just say bacon, most Canadians will think of normal bacon, not back bacon. More unusual, and almost exclusively in eastern Canada, is peameal bacon That's back bacon which was rolled in peameal (a meal ground from dried peas) prior to being sliced. Here in the west, back bacon is not particularly popular, other than for eggs benedict, and peameal bacon is almost unheard of.

caliboy93

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 am

Remember during 9/11 when inbound transatlantic flights were grounded in Canada? They fed and housed all the passengers treating them like family. Canada is always there for us, such lovely people and country!

TMccrury

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:45 pm

B727skyguy wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

It's a nice thought on your part, but don't try giving the gift card to any TSA staff. They won't be able to accept it.

That was my thought so let it pass.

trpmb6

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

TMccrury wrote:
B727skyguy wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

That was my thought so let it pass.

I wonder what would happen if you happened to buy a pizza and just left it on the x-ray conveyor belt... you know.. on accident?

trpmb6

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

aerolimani wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

In Canada, Canadian bacon is simply called back bacon. If you ask me, it's a necessary ingredient in eggs benedict. If you just say bacon, most Canadians will think of normal bacon, not back bacon. More unusual, and almost exclusively in eastern Canada, is peameal bacon That's back bacon which was rolled in peameal (a meal ground from dried peas) prior to being sliced. Here in the west, back bacon is not particularly popular, other than for eggs benedict, and peameal bacon is almost unheard of.

Today I learned what Peabacon is. And I can not imagine why someone would do that to any thing involving some form of bacon.

evank516

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
Remember during 9/11 when inbound transatlantic flights were grounded in Canada? They fed and housed all the passengers treating them like family. Canada is always there for us, such lovely people and country!

Indeed. And I'm really ashamed of the way the current administration has been treating them. I once encountered some visitors from Canada in a hotel elevator and I couldn't help but apologize to them.

airnorth

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:22 pm

aerolimani wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

I have recently been introduced to peameal bacon sandwich's, love it, I had no idea this was the cut that is commonly called Canadian Bacon south of the border. I'm a big fan!

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm

aerolimani wrote:
In Canada, Canadian bacon is simply called back bacon. If you just say bacon, most Canadians will think of normal bacon, not back bacon. More unusual, and almost exclusively in eastern Canada, is peameal bacon That's back bacon which was rolled in peameal (a meal ground from dried peas) prior to being sliced. Here in the west, back bacon is not particularly popular, other than for eggs benedict, and peameal bacon is almost unheard of.

airnorth wrote:
I have recently been introduced to peameal bacon sandwich's, love it, I had no idea this was the cut that is commonly called Canadian Bacon south of the border. I'm a big fan!

Hold your horses there pardner!
According to Wikipedia, this is American "Canadian-style" Bacon
And all of a sudden, I've lost my appetite.....

Let's see if we can sum it all up.
Both Back bacon & Streaky bacon are available in the UK (& Eire), but Back bacon is apparently the most common, available as both smoked and unsmoked varieties.
Unless I am mistaken, there is no "normal" bacon, and shops clearly refer to it as either Streaky or Back. Meanwhile if you are offered "Bacon & Eggs" in a restaurant, it could be either....

In Canada, USA, and presumably elsewhere, "normal" bacon (aka "side bacon") is pork belly, the same as is recognised in the UK as "streaky" bacon in recognition of the streaks of fat running through it. In this modern health-conscious world, streaky bacon is sold in the UK at a discount because of this extra fat. For those of us who know a good thing, this is a bonus. :bigthumbsup:

As regards Canadian Bacon; I am reminded of how the grass is always greener over there....
For instance, high quality French & Spanish wine is always aged in "small American oak barrels"
Whereas Californian wine is often aged in "small French oak barrels"
It seems nobody has found a use for Ye Olde English Oak! Except perhaps for Scottish smoked salmon. :roll:

Back to bacon (see what I did there?), in the UK, the leading brand of bacon for many years was Image
As indicated by the name, this was a superior bacon from pigs raised & fattened in Denmark.

Now you are going to love this last bit; these days, most Danish Bacon comes from... Germany or Poland. :rotfl:

aerolimani
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
According to Wikipedia, this is American "Canadian-style" Bacon
And all of a sudden, I've lost my appetite.....

Try a google image search for Canadian bacon, and you will see that the pressed/reformed (crappy) version (that some i̵d̵i̵o̵t̵ person decided to put on wiki) is actually the less common. What you will see mostly is this bit of deliciousness:

If you want to see a real food travesty, look up “American cheese.” :yuck:

airnorth

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for the food posts, very funny, and informative!

PIMountaineer

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:09 pm

And its gestures like this that remind me why I enjoy spending time with and talking to my buddies in Canada. Kudos.