Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Redd
Topic Author

USA and Israel Leave UNESCO

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

Nikki Hailey
UNESCO is among the most corrupt and politically biased UN agencies. Today the U.S. withdrawal from this cesspool became official.

There's that and the 600 Million the USA has in unpaid dues to UNESCO, and Israel unhappy about UNESCO recognizing a site in Palestine back in 2017.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-isr ... raeli-bias

Jouhou

Re: USA and Israel Leave UNESCO

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 am

I guess the US doesn't have that much for UNESCO sites but I'm pretty sure that's still bad news for international tourism to the US.

Dutchy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 am

C'est la vie. Just shake my head.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am

Redd wrote:
Nikki Hailey
among the most corrupt and politically biased .

takes on to know one i guess....

Dutchy wrote:

Yup, each international organisation they quit is just less influence they have....

best regards
Thomas

Jouhou

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am

Dutchy wrote:

At least we've always had a shaky relationship with UNESCO and can't blame this as a unique trump admin tantrum (for once). It's a bit ridiculous the lengths we will go to make Israel happy though. It's not like they have any leverage over us.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 am

Jouhou wrote:
It's not like they have any leverage over us.

if they don´t rebuild the Temple Jebus won´t be coming back, you can not rapture into heaven and have popcorn while watching lots of people being tortured for all eternity.

Leverage doesn´t have to be real.....

best regards
Thomas

Jouhou

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

if they don´t rebuild the Temple Jebus won´t be coming back, you can not rapture into heaven and have popcorn while watching lots of people being tortured for all eternity.

best regards
Thomas

You know I was just about to explain our southern Christians in case you guys (non-us folks) weren't aware of them, but apparently you get it. I mean, they're weird to our Christians in the north here too. And super bizarre to an agnostic like me.

It's a lot like how ISIS was really hoping something special would happen in raqqa. Instead they got shot by a bunch of sunni muslims. Prophecy DENIED. In both cases they desperately want the end of the world. They're doomsday cults and I don't get why people don't call evangelicals, baptists, etc out for what they are.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am

Jouhou wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

best regards
Thomas

You know I was just about to explain our southern Christians in case you guys (non-us folks) weren't aware of them, but apparently you get it. I mean, they're weird to our Christians in the north here too.

Met a bunch of them. No matter where you go, they are there "the end is near, repent!"...

And super bizarre to an agnostic like me.

Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?

. They're doomsday cults and I don't get why people don't call evangelicals, baptists, etc out for what they are.

A blood magic, human sacrafice cult?
Of course they hate the UNESCO, the Al-Aqsa Mosque could be made into a world heritage site after all.

Best regards
Thomas

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

best regards
Thomas

They don't need Israel to do that. Give it to the Palestinians.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

what planet are you on where he Palis will rebuild the Jewish Temple?

best regards
Thomas

ltbewr

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am

I didn't even know about this until now and here. I am quite sure all but a few Democrat leaders and members of Congress went along with this too due to the pressure from AIPAC, Christian Evangelicals, certain campaign fund donors/bribers, and general hate by conservatives for the UN as to phony issues of 'sovereignty' or wanting the money not to go to countries in the Islamic and 3rd world that hate us.

Mortyman

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm

It's sad but at the same time funny ...

The US is the founding father and has been instrumental in the creation of the rules ofboth the UN and NATO but has become the biggest opponent of them both ... Same with WTO

Problem with the US is that while the rest of the world realises that the world keeps moving on and adapts to it along the way, the US think that it is the center of the universe and expect the world to adapt to the US ... Good luck with that strategy

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Jouhou wrote:
I guess the US doesn't have that much for UNESCO sites but I'm pretty sure that's still bad news for international tourism to the US.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites is just one aspect of the UNESCO operation, although for the ordinary man (or woman) in the street, probably the most recognisable.

Unfortunately for the USA, the dice are loaded.
This became apparent to me when I watched an TV program about an archaeological dig somewhere in North Carolina (?). Whilst looking for evidence of early settlements (ca 300 years old) they were searching the ground painstakingly by hand with magnifying glasses and teaspoons. The John Deere excavator was banned from coming anywhere near the site.

Meanwhile, over in Italy, anything that is just 300 years old gets described as a "new-build". :lol:

And that is why Italy tops the table in terms of World Heritage sites (54), followed by China (53).
After that come a clutch of other European nations, India, & Mexico,
The final insult is that the USA come in at 11th, just after Russia, and... wait for it... Iran. :boggled:

For a nation that considers itself #1, boasts the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and the Everglades, these are hard facts to swallow.

However, as stated above, UNESCO is about many things, very few of which seem to favor a US agenda.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Jouhou wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

best regards
Thomas

You know I was just about to explain our southern Christians in case you guys (non-us folks) weren't aware of them, but apparently you get it. I mean, they're weird to our Christians in the north here too. And super bizarre to an agnostic like me.

I bet the Southern Christians are going nuts over the virgin birth of the baby to woman in a coma recently, it must be the second coming of Christ!

Jouhou

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:54 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

And super bizarre to an agnostic like me.

Agnostic theist or agnostic atheist?

I live my life under the assumption there is no God and the only moral judge of my character is society itself, so I'd say agnostic atheist.

johnboy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

I wouldn’t classify them as “southern Christians” these days. They are all over the place now unfortunately, and the better term would be Evangelical or Fundamentalist Christians (although the latter in my mind would more likely be Pentecostalists, “snake handlers,” and Holy Rollers).

But no matter the term, they’re at best annoying AF and at worst a pestilence in the world, just as all other fundamentalist religions.

(Special thanks to whomever called them a doomsday cult - that’s exactly what they are).

VTKillarney

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

johnboy wrote:
I wouldn’t classify them as “southern Christians” these days.

Their political influence has been declining steadily since the 1980s. I really don't see how the UNESCO issue has anything to do with them.

alfa164

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Mortyman wrote:
It's sad but at the same time funny ... The US is the founding father and has been instrumental in the creation of the rules ofboth the UN and NATO but has become the biggest opponent of them both ... Same with WTO
Problem with the US is that while the rest of the world realises that the world keeps moving on and adapts to it along the way, the US think that it is the center of the universe and expect the world to adapt to the US ... Good luck with that strategy

:checkmark: Although I can only agree that it is sad... it isn't funny, when our role and our reputation in the world is being discarded by an ignorant administration.

johnboy wrote:
I wouldn’t classify them as “southern Christians” these days. They are all over the place now unfortunately, and the better term would be Evangelical or Fundamentalist Christians (although the latter in my mind would more likely be Pentecostalists, “snake handlers,” and Holy Rollers).
But no matter the term, they’re at best annoying AF and at worst a pestilence in the world, just as all other fundamentalist religions. (Special thanks to whomever called them a doomsday cult - that’s exactly what they are).

Unfortunately, they play an outsized role in the current administration.

Channex757

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Isn't UNESCO involved in the work in Jerusalem that has potentially relocated the Temple site further to the south? I saw something about that on TV recently. Archaeologists have put forward a strong case that the Temple was not where it is supposed to be, and the Wall isn't actually part of it.

I didn't catch it all, but the story if true would put the cat right among the pigeons and would be resisted to the point of bloodshed.

BestWestern

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm

The US further retreats into a former world leading state.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Anyone every bought from this website: https://www.market.unicefusa.org/ ?
I'm considering buying some gifts.

johns624

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

johnboy wrote:

But no matter the term, they’re at best annoying AF and at worst a pestilence in the world, just as all other fundamentalist religions.

(Special thanks to whomever called them a doomsday cult - that’s exactly what they are).
What I find most ironic about them is their constandt quoting of the fire-and-brimstone, tooth-for-a-tooth Old Testament while keeping quiet about the turn-the-other-cheek New Testament. Yet, believing in the primacy of the New Testament is what makes a person a Christian.

Aesma

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Basically the US was fine with politics and bribery at the UN when it got its way by these tools (and blackmail). Now that it doesn't work as well for the US agenda, it points fingers.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 am

tommy1808 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

best regards
Thomas

You do realize that Muslims also believe in the resurrection of Jesus right?

tommy1808

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

best regards
Thomas

You do realize that Muslims also believe in the resurrection of Jesus right?

That is what their scripture says, however actually believing so is pretty fringe. Muslims believe he didn't die and was directly saved into heaven. The beauty of imaginary friends.
Their eschatology also doesn't include rebuilding the Jewish temple.

Best regards
Thomas