DL717

Re: Brake linings vs. "lines"

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Airstud wrote:
Brought my 2012 Toyota to the dealership for its 5K interval servicing coupla weeks ago; they said I needed

A) new battery ($150). Indeed I had noticed the car being a little reluctant to start on a couple of occasions, and the Minnesota winter weather is coming. Is six years a good run for a car battery?

2) front brake linings. On the Green (all good) Yellow (will require further attention) Red (requires immediate attention) scale, these rated Red. Gonna cost just over $400. My Chase statement closed yesterday so I phoned to schedule the appointment and when I told the girl what service I wanted done (was surprised this info wasn't available to her via their own systems), she interpreted my "it needs the front brake linings replaced" as a need to have them check the hoses. "No, not the hoses, the linings, your own printout said 'Front brake linings.'" Well she said something about how that's not an option on her screen and proceeded to refer, for the rest of the phone call,. to the work being done as being done on the "brake lines." I gave up trying to get her to say "linings" after my 2nd or 3rd attempt.

See, I interpret "brake lines" to refer to the hydraulic tubing - dare I say hoses - that actuate the brakes upon the pedal being pressed. Am I wrong about this? I figured "brake linings" maybe refer to what I'm used to calling "brake pads" so am I just ancient? I can handle "linings" having replaced "pads" in the lexicon but I'm thenceforth much more hesitant to accept "lines" as a synonym for "linings."

(Also - is six years a good run for (whatever the heck I end up having replaced for $407)? or am I being hornswoggled? :boggled: )

Take the car to Pep-Boys or something like that and get the brakes done for half. An untrained monkey can change out the battery.
Putting one on ignore does not squelch speech or debate, it’s quiets the noise.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Airstud wrote:
Mine's a Corolla.
Toyotas won't give you a headache.

Most makes/models won't give any headaches with the drivetrain as long owner follows the maintenance schedule. Features based on a bunch of sensors and electronics are a different story. More features mean more headache.

WildcatYXU

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Mine's a Corolla.

Most makes/models won't give any headaches with the drivetrain as long owner follows the maintenance schedule. Features based on a bunch of sensors and electronics are a different story. More features mean more headache.

The drivetrain contains a bunch of sensors too. If these go, nothing works. I had to solve Mrs. Wildcat's headache caused by a not starting '09 Altima recently. The main suspect - fuel pump - turned out to be OK. It was my suspect #2 that caused the problem - camshaft position sensor.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:31 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Mine's a Corolla.

The drivetrain contains a bunch of sensors too. If these go, nothing works. I had to solve Mrs. Wildcat's headache caused by a not starting '09 Altima recently. The main suspect - fuel pump - turned out to be OK. It was my suspect #2 that caused the problem - camshaft position sensor.

Drivetrain sensors/ECU are relatively more reliable than the sensors show up with every new model year.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

I pulled in to the service bay at the dealership at 4:15pm Friday for my appointment to have the brake "linings" re-done, and the service advisor told me they wouldn't be able to get it done on account of 4:15pm is too late in the day to start a brake job. This raises the obvious question of why they (in the personage of the ditz referenced in my opening post) granted me that appointment in the first place. Even if she had put it in as an appointment to re-do the brake lines instead of "linings", that wouldn't make a late-afternoon appointment any more sensible if that's a bigger schlep than replacing the pads.

I called Bobby & Steve's Auto World on Penn Avenue and they quoted me $325-$350. Monday at 3pm.

What the h is wrong with that dealership...
Pancakes are delicious.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Airstud wrote:
I pulled in to the service bay at the dealership at 4:15pm Friday for my appointment to have the brake "linings" re-done, and the service advisor told me they wouldn't be able to get it done on account of 4:15pm is too late in the day to start a brake job. This raises the obvious question of why they (in the personage of the ditz referenced in my opening post) granted me that appointment in the first place. Even if she had put it in as an appointment to re-do the brake lines instead of "linings", that wouldn't make a late-afternoon appointment any more sensible if that's a bigger schlep than replacing the pads.

I'm probably going to get into trouble for saying this, but the last time I met incompetence like that, the boss was busy banging the secretary, and the company was heading for bankruptcy. The two events were almost certainly related, and I quickly found myself a new repair shop.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

dtw2hyd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Airstud wrote:

Maybe they realized you did your research, asking too many questions and no chance of upselling.