DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

"Mistaken Identity" in Original search for Houston 7-year old's killer

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:34 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/authorities-i ... d=60187049

A 20-year-old man has been charged with capital murder in the death of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes, who was shot in the head when a gunman opened fire on her family's car in Houston last week in what investigators believe was a case of "mistaken identity."
A second man, Larry Woodruffe, 24, has also been taken into custody, the Barnes family's lawyer, Civil Rights Lawyer Lee Merritt, confirmed. Woodruffe is "believed to be the shooter," according to Merritt. Both Black and Woodruffe are African-American.

Instagram post from Lee Merritt Esq:

I’ll go ahead and state the obvious. 24 y/o Larry Woodruffe doesn’t fit the description offered by the 4 different witness statements or composite sketch. Accordingly, this tip was difficult to believe. Assuming the confession elicited is reliable— it is possible the previously identified suspect seen fleeing by several independent witnesses was a bystanader attempting to escape the shooting. To observers, however, he appeared to be the shooter himself. ‬More information will have to be drawn out before there is a conviction. Nonetheless, the community is collectively responsible for obtaining evidence that has led to a credible arrest and we are closer to answers. That much is laudable.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsSQhcBB9qp/

Yes, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, we are glad that "no one tried to take the law in their own hands."

The white guy in the red pickup probably feels like it's safe enough to come forward with his story, and not suffer a lynching, thank goodness.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

dmg626

Re: "Mistaken Identity" in Original search for Houston 7-year old's killer

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:01 am

Whew, good that it’s not a “hate crime” now and just a good old fashioned murder. Every white guy driving a red pickup now is probably relieved

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 am

dmg626 wrote:
Whew, good that it’s not a “hate crime” now and just a good old fashioned murder. Every white guy driving a red pickup now is probably relieved

Right.... the murder didn't involve racial hate.... just hate..hate.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

slider

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:14 pm

As a Houstonian, I followed this very closely. First, I pray for Jazmine's family--the outpouring of support to her family has been really amazing and heartfelt here and it's been good for the community on one hand.

But the spectre of a "hate crime" and the obvious racially charged overtones as this unfolded were really beyond the pale. As a Houstonian, it was a powder keg that was being primed by a lot of the usual racebaiters. Sheriff Ed Gonzalez and activist Shaun King kept pushing the false narrative even when they knew it was wrong--they got the tip on Jan 3rd but kept publicly saying they were looking for a white guy.

And the deliberate misinformation, for political purposes, is still ongoing. Red pickup truck versus a silver Kia. Uh-huh.Two black men, early 20s, with gang ties, kill a 7 year old black child, and the sheriff still wants to talk about hate crimes and gun control. What a load of crap.

I'm relieved they caught the perpetrator no matter his skin color, but it's funny how the hysteria seems to have magically disappeared. Funny how that happens when it's a black gang banger. As usual, black on black violence is the third rail, the unspoken elephant in the room...

casinterest

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 pm

They are still looking for the red pickup truck as they do believe it was there. There was a picture of it. But more than likely was a witness to the incident and the last thing that family saw before ducking from the gunfire.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/us/jazmi ... index.html

An Anonymous person called in the reports that got the current suspects into custody, and one of them confessed to it. Without that Anonymous person the police would still be searching for that red truck in earnest.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

salttee

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 pm

slider wrote:
As a Houstonian, I followed this very closely. First, I pray for Jazmine's family--the outpouring of support to her family has been really amazing and heartfelt here and it's been good for the community on one hand.

But the spectre of a "hate crime" and the obvious racially charged overtones as this unfolded were really beyond the pale. As a Houstonian, it was a powder keg that was being primed by a lot of the usual racebaiters. Sheriff Ed Gonzalez and activist Shaun King kept pushing the false narrative even when they knew it was wrong--they got the tip on Jan 3rd but kept publicly saying they were looking for a white guy.

And the deliberate misinformation, for political purposes, is still ongoing. Red pickup truck versus a silver Kia. Uh-huh.Two black men, early 20s, with gang ties, kill a 7 year old black child, and the sheriff still wants to talk about hate crimes and gun control. What a load of crap.

I'm relieved they caught the perpetrator no matter his skin color, but it's funny how the hysteria seems to have magically disappeared. Funny how that happens when it's a black gang banger. As usual, black on black violence is the third rail, the unspoken elephant in the room...

I'm not from Houston and I haven't followed your local media but I strongly suspect your post is 99% hyperbole aka "hysteria".

Do you have any links to statements by Sheriff Ed Gonzalez on the 4th 5th or 6th saying 'they were looking for a white guy'?
In fact how do you know when the "lead" had actually been looked at and judged significant; after all they must have had a sea of "tips" to weed through?

In any event, there is nothing "funny" about the change in the story. The family genuinely thought the shooter was a white guy in a red pickup. The father gave an interview today and accepted the new direction without hesitation, he thanked the sheriff for good police work.

I get the idea that Sheriff Ed Gonzalez wants to get guns out of the hands of gangs, criminals and disturbed children; that may sound radical to some Texans, such as yourself, but the majority of Americans agree on that point. There's no "hysteria" in that view.

NIKV69

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Cue Contessa Brewer in wishing the Times Square bomber was white just as much as the NYTs and left wanted this shooter to be white. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVwAKUnbQPg
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

salttee

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Cue Contessa Brewer in wishing the Times Square bomber was white just as much as the NYTs and left wanted this shooter to be white. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

It wasn't the New York Times "wanting this shooter to be white" it was the surviving family who genuinely thought the shooter was white. They were the witnesses, so the police were looking for what the witnesses told them.

The Times merely reported the news.

NIKV69

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 pm

salttee wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It wasn't the New York Times "wanting this shooter to be white" it was the surviving family who genuinely thought the shooter was white. They were the witnesses, so the police were looking for what the witnesses told them.

The Times merely reported the news.

Sure just like the media reported that 3 White Duke Lacrosse players gang raped a Black girl over and over and didn't wait till the facts came out. As the Mother of one of the accused said "They wanted it to be true"

The media has been stoking racial fear just a tad too much. I am glad the right guy was caught quickly because this could have gotten real ugly like it did in North Carolina.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

VTKillarney

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Two things can be both be true:
1) The police may have acted quite reasonably based on the facts that they were given.
2) Shaun King could have been absolutely salivating over using this shooting for his own political gain.

salttee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Sure just like the media reported that 3 White Duke Lacrosse players gang raped a Black girl over and over and didn't wait till the facts came out. As the Mother of one of the accused said "They wanted it to be true"

That's an interesting case. It's big news because the prosecutorial zeal worked against middle class whites instead of against the poor or persons of color as it usually does. Prosecutor Mike Nifong, decided the case in his own head and then went about using every unethical advantage a prosecutor has, as so often happens, but as I pointed out, this time it was against well to do white kids.

Nickie you have no idea of how the American justice system really works, I'm sure of that. In 75% of cases, the judge and jury are in fact the prosecutor by themselves. The defendant meets the judge and his lawyer or public defender once in his life, but the prosecutor and the judge and usually the defense work together every day and lunch together and share the same social circle. So if a prosecutor decides a case and wants a conviction he tells his buddies what the score is and so often that's that - the case is decided in chambers. There is no real trial or search for the truth. It's like a freight train roaring down the track. The defendant isn't respected or listened to.

And this system almost always works to the disadvantage of the poor or people of color. The Duke Lacrosse players gave someone like you an opportunity to see how our criminal justice system really works, all you have to do is open your eyes and see. But in order to really see, you'd have to look at the story from the eyes of the disadvantaged, and that's something a person like you will never do.
Last edited by salttee on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

johns624

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 am

salttee wrote:
The family genuinely thought the shooter was a white guy in a red pickup. The father gave an interview today and accepted the new direction without hesitation, he thanked the sheriff for good police work.

The father wasn't there, from what I've read. The mother was and she had to have known it wasn't true.

salttee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 am

johns624 wrote:
The mother was and she had to have known it wasn't true.

You know what the mother saw - what ran through her head?
Why would a mother who has just experienced her own shooting and the death of her child go of on a political or racist junket? I see no reason to doubt that she believed what she said.

BTW
Eyewitnesses are notoriously inaccurate. She fits the pattern.

johns624

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 am

Maybe because she knew the killer and was afraid of him, so she did a redirection. I can understand height differences and minor details, but race and vehicle being totally different? It's just like witnesses always claiming "I didn't see anything" when they did but were too afraid to get involved.

salttee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 am

johns624 wrote:
Maybe because she knew the killer and was afraid of him, so she did a redirection. I can understand height differences and minor details, but race and vehicle being totally different? It's just like witnesses always claiming "I didn't see anything" when they did but were too afraid to get involved.

You realize that everything you're postulating is just springing up out of your own head with no connection whatsoever with the reality of the situation - don't you?

You don't know any of the people involved.

Your racism is just bubbling out.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Yes, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, we are glad that "no one tried to take the law in their own hands."

Can you imagine if someone did that? That's just the worst. Oh wait...

There's always a tweet. And before the interwebs, there's always an article. :rotfl:
salttee wrote:
johns624 wrote:
The mother was and she had to have known it wasn't true.

You know what the mother saw - what ran through her head?
Why would a mother who has just experienced her own shooting and the death of her child go of on a political or racist junket? I see no reason to doubt that she believed what she said.

BTW

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
E pur si muove -Galileo

mham001

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 am

salttee wrote:

And sometimes they are purposely so. Based on race...

I watched a young latino gangbanger type drive his car down the wrong way of a one-way street and get creamed going through the intersection because there was no light in his direction. The young white college student who hit him was injured (but nobody bothered to check on her). I heard the three young black women standing on the corner tell the police the white girl ran the red light. It was a blatant falsehood and they knew it, I was waiting for the same light in my car. That was sometime around 1990 in San Jose.

salttee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 am

And somewhere sometime in the last 30 years I have been wittiness to racism from whites towards blacks.
WoW!

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to accuse this family of malicious race bating. There is no reason to think they knew the person who killed their little girl; the police have informed us that it was a mistaken identity attack. This middle class family who appear to be really nice, educated people had no connection with the attackers.

Give it a rest.

slider

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:36 pm

salttee wrote:
slider wrote:

I'm not from Houston and I haven't followed your local media but I strongly suspect your post is 99% hyperbole aka "hysteria".

Do you have any links to statements by Sheriff Ed Gonzalez on the 4th 5th or 6th saying 'they were looking for a white guy'?
In fact how do you know when the "lead" had actually been looked at and judged significant; after all they must have had a sea of "tips" to weed through?

In any event, there is nothing "funny" about the change in the story. The family genuinely thought the shooter was a white guy in a red pickup. The father gave an interview today and accepted the new direction without hesitation, he thanked the sheriff for good police work.

I get the idea that Sheriff Ed Gonzalez wants to get guns out of the hands of gangs, criminals and disturbed children; that may sound radical to some Texans, such as yourself, but the majority of Americans agree on that point. There's no "hysteria" in that view.

Here ya go:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/06/jazm ... g-houston/

King wrote on https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTA2hklxlZ/ Sunday on Instagram that he received the tip on Jan. 3 that a 20-year-old black man named Eric Black Jr. and another man had shot Barnes. Gonzalez acknowledged at a press conference Sunday that he received a tip from King in the middle of the week that Barnes’s killer was not the white male initially suspected in the case.

And the mother, LaPorsha Washington, has a long criminal history of her own. She was Facebook friends with her daughter’s killer. The whole thing still doesn’t add up; going to the store at 630h on Sunday AM? And later claiming the shooter was white in 40's, bearded, not heavy set but had gut driving a red truck. Few days later, it changed to white, thin, sickly-looking, facial stubble. A day or two after that, 2 young black men arrested driving a rental car.

Don't be fatuous. No one thought it was a white perpetrator. This whole thing remains fishy and, based on a few media voices here, there are some notable trusted reporters that are working on this but haven't broken it all out yet. And Queen Sheila has doubled down on her stupidity, as per usual.

casinterest

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:43 pm

slider wrote:
salttee wrote:
slider wrote:

Here ya go:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/06/jazm ... g-houston/

King wrote on https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTA2hklxlZ/ Sunday on Instagram that he received the tip on Jan. 3 that a 20-year-old black man named Eric Black Jr. and another man had shot Barnes. Gonzalez acknowledged at a press conference Sunday that he received a tip from King in the middle of the week that Barnes’s killer was not the white male initially suspected in the case.

And the mother, LaPorsha Washington, has a long criminal history of her own. She was Facebook friends with her daughter’s killer. The whole thing still doesn’t add up; going to the store at 630h on Sunday AM? And later claiming the shooter was white in 40's, bearded, not heavy set but had gut driving a red truck. Few days later, it changed to white, thin, sickly-looking, facial stubble. A day or two after that, 2 young black men arrested driving a rental car.

Don't be fatuous. No one thought it was a white perpetrator. This whole thing remains fishy and, based on a few media voices here, there are some notable trusted reporters that are working on this but haven't broken it all out yet. And Queen Sheila has doubled down on her stupidity, as per usual.

So you are passing on racist lies ?

She was not friends with the shooter. It was a different man, but it seems you are tied to the black on black crime racist stereotyping , instead of accepting this for what it is. A tragic shooting of a 7 year old, by very bad men.

So go on with your racial undertones and blaming the victim's mother.

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
It was a different man, but it seems you are tied to the black on black crime racist stereotyping , instead of accepting this for what it is.

To be fair, I believe the police described it as a case of "mistaken identity" which would imply that this fits the bill of black on black crime. They just targeted the wrong family. A tragic unfortunate reality of gang violence - it spills into the surrounding community and impacts everyone.

mham001

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:15 pm

casinterest wrote:

She was not friends with the shooter. It was a different man, but it seems you are tied to the black on black crime racist stereotyping , instead of accepting this for what it is. A tragic shooting of a 7 year old, by very bad men.

Curious about this. Is it racist for a white person to discuss black-on-black crime?

I don't know what all is going on but I saw about 5 seconds of the mother proclaiming RACISM and knew it was fishy. Que BLM.

casinterest

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It was a different man, but it seems you are tied to the black on black crime racist stereotyping , instead of accepting this for what it is.

To be fair, I believe the police described it as a case of "mistaken identity" which would imply that this fits the bill of black on black crime. They just targeted the wrong family. A tragic unfortunate reality of gang violence - it spills into the surrounding community and impacts everyone.

How is it black on black if it is mistaken identity? They were firing on a car, whose occupants they did not know. Black on Black crime is racist as hell. Just as white on white crime is. Why describe a crime in terms of color ?

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:26 pm

casinterest wrote:
Why describe a crime in terms of color ?

Probably because it's not statistically insignificant?

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Curious about this. Is it racist for a white person to discuss black-on-black crime?

I don't know what all is going on but I saw about 5 seconds of the mother proclaiming RACISM and knew it was fishy. Que BLM.

I think I have BINGO from the last 2-3 replies in this thread!

slider wrote:

Tune in nightly as white nationalist golden child Tucker Carlson pushes the latest false narrative :rotfl:
E pur si muove -Galileo

OA412

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 am

Please stick to the topic. The Duke lacrosse case has nothing to do with this sad case.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West