noviorbis77
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm

She will hopefully get refugee status in Thailand and start a new life there.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't think she'll stay there. By now I suppose she has some offers from countries to go to. I am just still not 100% sure she is out of danger yet.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12047
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Her dad has arrived, doesn't look like he flew scheduled ;)
But she is happy she is with UN and has her passport back.


Let's hope she gets to safety
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5493
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Apparently she had visa for Australia ?
 
alfa164
Posts: 2429
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Apparently she had visa for Australia ?


Saudi citizens are eligible for e-visas in Australia, which are virtually automatic. If she didn't get one before she arrived in Thailand, she could easily request one from there.

Interestingly, Thailand does require a visa, unless she were stay in the transit area (which, obviously, she didn't) for 12 hours or less. It would be interesting to know if she did have a Thai visa when she entered the country.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 pm

No visa for Thiland, but she was only supposed to stay there for a while to catch next flight. She had visa for Australia. When she arrived in BKK a employee from Kuwait Airways took her passport while Saudi officials watched. she was let to the room in the hotel in the airport and she started to tweet and pleading for help.
 
salttee
Posts: 3024
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:18 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Her dad has arrived, doesn't look like he flew scheduled ;)
But she is happy she is with UN and has her passport back.

If she has her passport back I have one question.
Goes her hotel have a back door?

She can get all the help she needs from the first westerner she encounters.
If I were her, I'd head to the Vietnamese border, get a visa for like $18 and book the next flight to Australia.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 pm

She is out of the hotel now, unknown location but under the supervision of the UN refugee agency until her 'asylum status' is cleared.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Please, can we try to keep this topic concentrated on a 18 year old girl, all on her own who would love to keep living? Thank you
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3122
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Keep the thread on topic. Off topic comments will be removed.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
salttee
Posts: 3024
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 am

A3801000 wrote:
Please, can we try to keep this topic concentrated on a 18 year old girl, all on her own who would love to keep living? Thank you

I'm sorry if I've troubled you or anyone else.

I will make no further posts in this thread.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:07 am

Unconfirmed reports that Peter Dutton, Minister for Home Affairs has cancelled her visa
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 am

A3801000 wrote:
Unconfirmed reports that Peter Dutton, Minister for Home Affairs has cancelled her visa


Man...I was reading up the record of this dude. Didn't realized that before there's Trump, somebody down under that is 10x worse is in power.

(Although doesn't surprise me one bit - Australia gov't is getting extremely racist and what's next? Going back to "White Australia" policy? When they took all those lands from the aborigines?)
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:32 am

Human rights groups ask government to clarify status of Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun’s tourist visa after teenager’s supporters raise alarm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... omans-visa
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 8601
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 am

A3801000 wrote:
Human rights groups ask government to clarify status of Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun’s tourist visa after teenager’s supporters raise alarm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... omans-visa

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/austra ... nhcr-care/
It appears to be true but I cannot vouch for the source I am citing above. However it is confirming what you are saying. While "heartless" I also get why it would be rescinded based on information from her as to her true intention. She is not a tourist, and the visa process is abused for many other purposes. However I am confident this will resolve and she will find a path to Australia, with assistance from Australia.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 am

Tugger wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Human rights groups ask government to clarify status of Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun’s tourist visa after teenager’s supporters raise alarm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... omans-visa

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/austra ... nhcr-care/
It appears to be true but I cannot vouch for the source I am citing above. However it is confirming what you are saying. While "heartless" I also get why it would be rescinded based on information from her as to her true intention. She is not a tourist, and the visa process is abused for many other purposes. However I am confident this will resolve and she will find a path to Australia, with assistance from Australia.

Tugg


Considering she faces near certain death in case no proper country will accept her I find the 'excuse' to revoke her Visa 'because she did not tell the truth', well, questionable.
Now, there is a lot of talk about Canada helping out.
I just cannot imagine what this young woman has to go through: All on her own, with all the doubts in her head if she can go to a safe country and continue her studies or if she has just days to live.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 am

A3801000 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Human rights groups ask government to clarify status of Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun’s tourist visa after teenager’s supporters raise alarm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... omans-visa

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/austra ... nhcr-care/
It appears to be true but I cannot vouch for the source I am citing above. However it is confirming what you are saying. While "heartless" I also get why it would be rescinded based on information from her as to her true intention. She is not a tourist, and the visa process is abused for many other purposes. However I am confident this will resolve and she will find a path to Australia, with assistance from Australia.

Tugg


Considering she faces near certain death in case no proper country will accept her I find the 'excuse' to revoke her Visa 'because she did not tell the truth', well, questionable.
Now, there is a lot of talk about Canada helping out.
I just cannot imagine what this young woman has to go through: All on her own, with all the doubts in her head if she can go to a safe country and continue her studies or if she has just days to live.


Nah, Tugger is right. If you lie in your Visa application regarding your intentions, your visa get cancelled. Not good to calm her down of course... not nice for her for sure, but logical.
She will probably have ample choice where she wants to go.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7689
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 am

Unlike thousands of women in a similar position inside Saudi Arabia...
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:42 am

tommy1808 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/austra ... nhcr-care/
It appears to be true but I cannot vouch for the source I am citing above. However it is confirming what you are saying. While "heartless" I also get why it would be rescinded based on information from her as to her true intention. She is not a tourist, and the visa process is abused for many other purposes. However I am confident this will resolve and she will find a path to Australia, with assistance from Australia.

Tugg


Considering she faces near certain death in case no proper country will accept her I find the 'excuse' to revoke her Visa 'because she did not tell the truth', well, questionable.
Now, there is a lot of talk about Canada helping out.
I just cannot imagine what this young woman has to go through: All on her own, with all the doubts in her head if she can go to a safe country and continue her studies or if she has just days to live.


Nah, Tugger is right. If you lie in your Visa application regarding your intentions, your visa get cancelled. Not good to calm her down of course... not nice for her for sure, but logical.
She will probably have ample choice where she wants to go.

best regards
Thomas


Why not stay in Thailand? Can claim asylum there. Signatory to the 51 convention and can build a good life there.

If you are in genuine fear for your safety, you cannot pick and chose where you claim asylum.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
If you are in genuine fear for your safety, you cannot pick and chose where you claim asylum.


That statement doesn´t make any sense. Do you eat whatever is handy when you are hungry or do you still have a preference? Even people that starve, as happy as they may be about Plumpy'nut, they probably still would go for a steak if they had the option. Given that Thai authorities apparently considered sending her to her death, i wouldn´t fault her. Given that Thailand would probably make much less of a fuzz as Australia would if she just gets abducted one day is also a pretty good reason. They do butcher people in their Embassies after all.
That being said there is no reason not to stay in Thailand, beyond the fact that she already speaks English, but probably not a word of Thai. That is reason enough to prefer an englisch speaking country.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Zeppi
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Pretty certain there are agencies (government or otherwise) that help people like her get settled down and get used to non-Islamic culture, the same way other agencies in different developed countries help refugees get placed and settled in cities.

There certainly are. I have a bit insight into the way it's handled in Germany because my wife works a voluntary position in just such an agency. Providing ample protection for such girls isn't a trivial task at all, those families are extremely pesky. Their modus operandi is to form a hit squad of several male members of the family (brothers, cousins, whatever), seek out the apostate and kill her to restore the honor of the family. We've had multiple cases where girls were shot or stabbed in broad daylight at bus stops by their male relatives. They have good connections too, usually through islamic networks like DITIB (run by Turkey) or Al Haramein (Saudi) as well as politicians/diplomats in the respective countries. When there's an influential figure like the father in the current case things get really hard. They will go out of their way to hunt down the apostate to restore face/family honor in their home country. The protection of the girls/women then involves total elimination of their paper trail, multiple switches of identities, multiple relocations, change of appearance. And even then it's not 100% safe, they still live in constant fear, have to be very careful of whom to interact with, cannot ever use social media and even need to be careful not to appear on things like school yearbook photos.

I think rejecting Islam means she knew she could have a better life being free of a religion and lifestyle she considers oppressive.

Of course. But renouncing islam and then actually living a free life are few and far between. Especially in Germany since young muslim men have been flooding in by the hundreds of thousands in recent years, with exactly the same archaic mindset. Women that escaped the islamic harassment now are subjected to it again in a country where they hoped to be free of it. My wife (mom persian, escaped from Iran during the islamic revolution) has been called out on the street by a group of young muslim men with "Ey Schwester, warum trägst du kein Kopftuch???" ("Ey sister, why aren't you wearing a headscarf???"). I had trouble holding her back from charging at them...
It's getting worse by the day and our polititians are doing exactly zero to stop it. On the contrary, just recently Erdogan was actually invited to the opening ceremony of a new DITIB mosque in Cologne. Why DITIB and Al Haramein aren't long forbidden to operate in Germany is totally beyond me. It's simply disgusting and this extremely primitive islamic mindset is gaining ever further ground amongst our free society.

seahawk wrote:
Unlike thousands of women in a similar position inside Saudi Arabia...

And Iran, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Turkey, Sudan, Indonesia... The list is long.

I hope Thailand does the right thing and refuses the father access, she's 18 after all so he has absolutely zero to say. Then I hope she is given the protection and support she needs to start a new life in personal freedom, free of fear and islamic oppression.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7689
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 am

Yes, this tolerance of intolerance will cost us dearly.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 am

Zeppi wrote:
Why DITIB and Al Haramein aren't long forbidden to operate in Germany is totally beyond me. It's simply disgusting and this extremely primitive islamic mindset is gaining ever further ground amongst our free society..


Because due to the inability of certain EU members to allow for an EU solution to the refugee crisis we have given Turkey blackmail material in the form of more refugees they could just send westwards.

People critical of all and every refugees are the main reason politics doesn´t act to kick those out that are criminal or won´t integrate and allow fundamentalists training camps, because only a fraction of those additional refugees would piss more people off that a bunch of honor killing. After all those people don´t really care about one of those pesky Muslims being killed, do they? Realpolitik is awesome!

just recently Erdogan was actually invited to the opening ceremony of a new DITIB mosque in Cologne.


While DITIB is often understood as the long arm of Erdogan, it is in fact Diyanet that holds the power and could end Erdogan or any other Turkish politischen when they chose too. Strengthening Diyanet is less desirable, refusing Erdogans permission to visit would strengthen both, that is the very last thing we want.

When the States Offices for the Protection of the Constitution don´t want to monitor DITIB, but rather specific DITIB players, they probably know what they are doing, especially since they all seem to agree. The federal version is usually more political, unfortunately. .

That being said, i think i am on record well enough that i think religious freedom ends at a concrete wall if you only go one μ beyond the constitutional values, but well.. i am not in Charge.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Zeppi
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Because due to the inability of certain EU members to allow for an EU solution to the refugee crisis we have given Turkey blackmail material in the form of more refugees they could just send westwards.
Indeed, but that could be reversed if it were so desired.

People critical of all and every refugees are the main reason politics doesn´t act to kick those out that are criminal or won´t integrate and allow fundamentalists training camps, because only a fraction of those additional refugees would piss more people off that a bunch of honor killing. After all those people don´t really care about one of those pesky Muslims being killed, do they? Realpolitik is awesome!

Pretty much sums it up, yes. And still the laws could be amended in such a way that it would be much harder for any criminals to remain settled. It's a great law that anyone has the basic right to seek asylum, yet that right should be void the second they commit any criminal act on German soil, followed by immediate deportation. If asylum has already been granted that could be so on terms of probation for maybe 10 years, any criminal act and bye bye. Now the criminals laugh at the police and the courts because they know nothing can happen to them, worst case they actually end up in a German prison - still way better than the places they came from. And in the prisons is where they radicalise the most. That's what needs to stop, fast.

While DITIB is often understood as the long arm of Erdogan, it is in fact Diyanet that holds the power and could end Erdogan or any other Turkish politischen when they chose too. Strengthening Diyanet is less desirable, refusing Erdogans permission to visit would strengthen both, that is the very last thing we want.

They're basically the same thing. Diyanet is like the directorate of religion (or rather islam) in Turkey, and DITIB is their "branch" in Germany. Allowing DITIB is allowing direct influence from Diyanet, dito for Al Haramein and whatever sub and sub-sub branches they have. We know those are the networks providing radikal imams preaching in mosques all across Europe, and providing the intel for hitjobs on apostates, yet noone is doing anything to stop them.

Back to the main topic, Rahaf now seems safe in UN custody for the time being, yet there are no decisions or even hints on any asylum claims.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Zeppi wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Because due to the inability of certain EU members to allow for an EU solution to the refugee crisis we have given Turkey blackmail material in the form of more refugees they could just send westwards.
Indeed, but that could be reversed if it were so desired.


and the 2.9 Million refugees in Turkey go where?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:06 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Because due to the inability of certain EU members to allow for an EU solution to the refugee crisis we have given Turkey blackmail material in the form of more refugees they could just send westwards.
Indeed, but that could be reversed if it were so desired.


and the 2.9 Million refugees in Turkey go where?

best regards
Thomas


Are these 2.9 million recognised as refugees under the 51 convention?

Of all the migrants in Germany, what percentage have been recognised as genuine refugees under the 51 convention?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
Indeed, but that could be reversed if it were so desired.


and the 2.9 Million refugees in Turkey go where?

best regards
Thomas


Are these 2.9 million recognised as refugees under the 51 convention?


No idea

Of all the migrants in Germany, what percentage have been recognised as genuine refugees under the 51 convention?


All that arrived before March of 2016, dropping since to 30% for new arrivals since iirc.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:31 pm

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/saud ... 32abf97d8b

So Australian gov't has clarify that her tourist visa was cancelled b/c she's, well, not in Australia for tourism. They're highly likely to grant her a humanitarian visa, though.

I wish her the best, and hope that she can actually start a new life in Australia (if granted asylum) instead of having to fear for her life even after doing so.
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

and the 2.9 Million refugees in Turkey go where?

best regards
Thomas


Are these 2.9 million recognised as refugees under the 51 convention?


No idea

Of all the migrants in Germany, what percentage have been recognised as genuine refugees under the 51 convention?


All that arrived before March of 2016, dropping since to 30% for new arrivals since iirc.

Best regards
Thomas


Everyone arriving before March 16 was granted refugee status?

Extraordinary if that is true.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 13687
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm

I am quite sure the SA government is keeping this story from its citizens in the country, they for sure don't want women to get any ideas of escaping the country and get away with it. Hopefully she will get a humanitarian visa for Australia. Its too bad due to SA's oil, their pricing control of the markets and the home of the most important sites of the faith we can't put pressure on them to become more reason based and humane like done with South Africa.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:53 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I am quite sure the SA government is keeping this story from its citizens in the country, they for sure don't want women to get any ideas of escaping the country and get away with it.


You are not wrong ;) Saudi Arabia charge d’affaires in Bangkok Mr. Alshuaibi
said “they should have took her phone instead of her passport”

Clearly unhappy with all the good press
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Good for the girl to receive aid, but something is "weird" about this story. Couple of questions:

1) As a minor, how do you get on a plane to Australia? Just like that?
2) The Daily Mail is not a virtue of reporting the truth. The story as written seems very sensationalist. Tons of people on this board call it the "Daily Fail" for a reason.
3) How can a Saudi official confiscate her passport if she's already in Bangkok??
4) Is it normal for the international press to monitor Twitter and post things like these immediately on international media websites?
5) Is it normal for the UNHCR to be at a spot almost "instantaneously" to provide help?
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Another thing. I understand that renouncing Islam is a capital office in SA and people as a result flee the country. Then why not create an "Underground Railroad" in SA and help people right there?
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 pm

BREAKING: Australia will offer Saudi teen asylum if she's found to be a genuine refugee by the UNHCR Oz to announce tonight. Normal security checks will apply
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Good for the girl to receive aid, but something is "weird" about this story. Couple of questions:

1) As a minor, how do you get on a plane to Australia? Just like that?
2) The Daily Mail is not a virtue of reporting the truth. The story as written seems very sensationalist. Tons of people on this board call it the "Daily Fail" for a reason.
3) How can a Saudi official confiscate her passport if she's already in Bangkok??
4) Is it normal for the international press to monitor Twitter and post things like these immediately on international media websites?
5) Is it normal for the UNHCR to be at a spot almost "instantaneously" to provide help?


1.) She is not a minor
2.) She created a Twitter account and somehow Daily Mail picked it up first. By now every news agency reported, UN has been in personal contact with her, her dad is in BKK, the Saudi Ambasssador is involved, looks legit.
3.) It was a Kuwait Airways employee, ( I know his name) under supervision of some Saudis
4.) Yes, this is very normal. Things can spread very, very quickly on twitter
5.) In a place like BKK? yes.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 8601
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 pm

A3801000 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I am quite sure the SA government is keeping this story from its citizens in the country, they for sure don't want women to get any ideas of escaping the country and get away with it.


You are not wrong ;) Saudi Arabia charge d’affaires in Bangkok Mr. Alshuaibi
said “they should have took her phone instead of her passport”

Clearly unhappy with all the good press

And the sad truth is that for whichever women this happens to next, her phone will be the first thing they take.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 pm

For Dieuwer and everyone else, nice summary of how events unfolded:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKCN1P21CU
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 16306
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
As a minor, how do you get on a plane to Australia? Just like that?


Not many countries consider an 18yo to be a minor. Plus, by all accounts, he father is rich and powerful, so she's probably had her own credit card for years.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:47 am

good news:

Image
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9690
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:57 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Are these 2.9 million recognised as refugees under the 51 convention?


No idea

Of all the migrants in Germany, what percentage have been recognised as genuine refugees under the 51 convention?


All that arrived before March of 2016, dropping since to 30% for new arrivals since iirc.

Best regards
Thomas


Everyone arriving before March 16 was granted refugee status?

Extraordinary if that is true.


Since the decision in March 2016 included rescinding the policy of granting that status to everyone from Syria, implemented in the beginning, i would say yes. There may have been exceptions rooted in specific individuals, but i am not aware of those.

Tugger wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I am quite sure the SA government is keeping this story from its citizens in the country, they for sure don't want women to get any ideas of escaping the country and get away with it.


You are not wrong ;) Saudi Arabia charge d’affaires in Bangkok Mr. Alshuaibi
said “they should have took her phone instead of her passport”

Clearly unhappy with all the good press

And the sad truth is that for whichever women this happens to next, her phone will be the first thing they take.

Tugg


I would expect the trend will go towards a second phone, or start posting before landing. And preferring transfer in a country that is less likely to cave in to Saudi Arabia. Apparently she was smart enough to directly address the German Ambassador.....

A3801000 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
4) Is it normal for the international press to monitor Twitter and post things like these immediately on international media websites?

4.) Yes, this is very normal. Things can spread very, very quickly on twitter


it is fairly weird question at times when the US government runs on orders via twitter.

News Media doesn´t monitor Twitter per se, but they monitor what is trending. If a couple of thousand people pick something up, they know...

5.) In a place like BKK? yes.


An Ambassador in Bangkok being one of the people picking this up probably helped to speed up things too. I would suspect he also picked up a phone.....
https://twitter.com/GermanAmbTHA/status ... 7893736448

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 am

tommy1808 wrote:

An Ambassador in Bangkok being one of the people picking this up probably helped to speed up things too. I would suspect he also picked up a phone.....
https://twitter.com/GermanAmbTHA/status ... 7893736448

best regards
Thomas



What I can say about him is that he was very helpful, very active and very involved. Nothing in public but very much behind the scenes. He is a 'ambassador' in ever sense of the word.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12047
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 am

scbriml wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
As a minor, how do you get on a plane to Australia? Just like that?


Not many countries consider an 18yo to be a minor. Plus, by all accounts, he father is rich and powerful, so she's probably had her own credit card for years.


Not if he is keeping her on a short leash. I am just glad she seems to be getting to safety.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am

You have to love the Ozzies :D

Image
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 6851
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am

A3801000 wrote:
You have to love the Ozzies :D

I was gonna say: the fact that she's in Australia doesn't mean she's safe. If she needs documents, she'll have to visit the Saudi Embassy/Consulate. After Khashoggi, I'm certain she'll ask for an escort who can protect her.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 am

Thailand’s immigration department chief, Surachate Hakparn, said it should become clear by Friday evening where Qunun would be granted asylum.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 am

Why so much panic over an 18 year old Saudi and why is she getting such priority asylum service? Beauty? Twitter? What about all the other asylum seekers?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
jcancel
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:33 am

There is a large English speaking expat community in Thsiland, but undeveloped countries are easily penetrated by foreign security services (even more so than the West)

tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
If you are in genuine fear for your safety, you cannot pick and chose where you claim asylum.


That statement doesn´t make any sense. Do you eat whatever is handy when you are hungry or do you still have a preference? Even people that starve, as happy as they may be about Plumpy'nut, they probably still would go for a steak if they had the option. Given that Thai authorities apparently considered sending her to her death, i wouldn´t fault her. Given that Thailand would probably make much less of a fuzz as Australia would if she just gets abducted one day is also a pretty good reason. They do butcher people in their Embassies after all.
That being said there is no reason not to stay in Thailand, beyond the fact that she already speaks English, but probably not a word of Thai. That is reason enough to prefer an englisch speaking country.

best regards
Thomas
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Unconfirmed: She is on a plane to Australia now.
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

If anyone can translate this, please?

عصفورتنا في طريقها لبلد الحرية

I get 'Our bird is on its way to the country of freedom'
 
A3801000
Topic Author
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

QF24 and TG475 would be her options. (It is a aviation forum after all ;) )

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flighty, kaitak, Kno, speedbird217, trpmb6 and 53 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos