A3801000
Topic Author

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Deutsche Welle right now:

Saudi teen who fled family will leave Thailand for Canada on Friday night , @Reuters quotes Thai immigration chief.

A3801000
Topic Author

Re: 18 y/o Saudi girl in BKK arrested and in danger to get send back and face death penalty

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:20 pm

And she's at the airport, guy in grey is from the UN

A3801000
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Finally:

Saudi teen who fled family has left Thailand for Canada: official

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKCN1P50QF

A3801000
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

AP: Canada is "pleased" to offer asylum to Saudi teen, says PM Trudeau

NIKV69

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Great news. I had my doubts she would survive this.
See that Broccoli over there? It's racist!

alfa164

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:18 pm

A3801000 wrote:

Class move by Canada. They deserve accolades for not bowing to Saudi pressure, which I am sure was exerted on everyone.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm

alfa164 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Class move by Canada. They deserve accolades for not bowing to Saudi pressure, which I am sure was exerted on everyone.

Meh, Canada doesn’t need those liquid out of that ugly sand pit when they got plenty themselves anyway.

Plus it’s not like Canada and Saudi are getting along right now anyway. Remember how Canada called out on Saudi human rights and Saudi throw a tantrum and stops flight to Canada along with cancelling a bunch of scholarships?

Brick

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm

She is going to have to spend the rest of her life always looking over her shoulder. I imagine it's not very hard for a male family member to get into Canada allowing them to eventually "right the wrong".
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

kaitak

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Meh, Canada doesn’t need those liquid out of that ugly sand pit when they got plenty themselves anyway.

Plus it’s not like Canada and Saudi are getting along right now anyway. Remember how Canada called out on Saudi human rights and Saudi throw a tantrum and stops flight to Canada along with cancelling a bunch of scholarships?

I was thinking the same myself; I'm sure the Saudis put a lot of pressure on the Aussies behind the scenes and as Saudi is a big importer of Australian meat (lambs to the slaughter, ironically), that was one possible hold they had on them; the Canadians could - probably with immense pleasure - tell the Saudis to get stuffed. It is true, unfortunately, that the poor woman will probably have to look over her shoulder for quite a while and the Saudis won't soon forget the actions of a young woman who showed them up. Their public silence probably masks considerable seething.

Dieuwer

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 am

alfa164 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Kudos to Canada. At least one country with a spine.

A3801000
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 am

Rahaf went to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok on Wednesday. The Australians were processing her case. But the UN was concerned at how long it was taking. Security wise it was not ideal for her stay too long in Bangkok. Canada stepped up yesterday & completed her visa process in just one day.
Australian officials last night were surprised by the sudden Canada development. Rahaf, while obviously overjoyed at being safe & headed to a 3rd country, had still hoped to come to Australia (where her close friends are.)

A3801000
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

And she arrived in Toronto, save and sound.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... are_btn_tw

What a shame we still have to save women in 2019. Just looking at all the hate she receives on twitter from her follow country men is unbelievable. What kind of 'men' are they?

Flighty

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Why so much panic over an 18 year old Saudi and why is she getting such priority asylum service? Beauty? Twitter? What about all the other asylum seekers?

Good question. I think the fact she is a nice looking young woman from Saudi ticks a lot of boxes. Saudi Arabia is a powerful state that oppresses women. This year, we have been thinking about how to deal with Saudi's excessive wrongdoings. Her situation easily fit the definition of credible fear of oppression and physical harm. Yet, making her an asylum case is provocative and newsworthy.

Most other asylum cases are nowhere near as clear cut as this. Asylum is a word that has been overused and abused beyond recognition. It is important we remember that political persecution is a special and relatively rare situation that should not be confused with other migration types.

Vio

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 am

Why do officials feel the need to parade her in front of the cameras?
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

scbriml

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 am

Vio wrote:

To show how important and manly they are.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 am

Vio wrote:

She asked to be shown to the world so that the millions of people who are worried about her could see that she was safe and sound. She was not paraded.

I think that a lot of people don't understand what happened here and just how remarkable of a young woman she showed herself to be. She somehow managed to get out of KSA as a single young woman, which is a feat in and of itself. When she was stopped at BKK she didn't just yield, she didn't give up. She did everything she could to get away. Most importantly, she knew enough to make a lot of noise. She used the right channels and she approached the right people and handled it the right way.

If you work with young people, you see that this kind of behavior is very uncommon; it's remarkable.

But moreover, I see a lot of tone-deafness here. I guess that's because most people didn't come from overbearing families in which your parents didn't see you as a human being, but as an object. Any variation from their plan for you is unacceptable. You will be abused. You will be threatened. You will be called "worthless" and "shameful" and they will threaten you with the loss of everything you need to live. Food, clothes, education, shelter...even air itself. You must not know what it's like to have parents who see you as property. And while that's wonderful for you, maybe you should approach this phenomenon from a standpoint of curiosity and willingness to learn, rather than declarations and condemnations.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

zkojq

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm

It seems that in situations like this, Canada always steps up to help out. I wish more of the world was like Canada.

My concern now is that this whole incident will have made life much more difficult for Saudi women travelling abroad.

alfa164 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

+1

DocLightning wrote:
She somehow managed to get out of KSA as a single young woman, which is a feat in and of itself. When she was stopped at BKK she didn't just yield, she didn't give up. She did everything she could to get away. Most importantly, she knew enough to make a lot of noise. She used the right channels and she approached the right people and handled it the right way.

Remarkable indeed and I'm sure that the Saudi government is conducting a thorough investigation which will make it much more difficult for people in her position to escape.
First to fly the 787-9

A3801000
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 pm

In case anyone feels like, this is her canadian families GofundMe for her:

https://www.gofundme.com/saverahafofficial

dredgy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Best of luck to her, cheeky having a wine after renouncing Islam! Surefire way to ensure her refugee status :P

Would've loved to welcome her here to Australia, but I'm sure Canada has gained a valuable citizen.

kaitak

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:23 am

The silence from the Saudis is deafening; do I hear the swish of sharpening bone saws? I can only imagine the Saudi embassy in Ottawa is gaining any information it can possibly glean about her location ...

Zeppi

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am

kaitak wrote:
I can only imagine the Saudi embassy in Ottawa is gaining any information it can possibly glean about her location ...

I'm quite certain they already know. Gross negligence on the side of the creator of the gofundme also linked a few post above who mentioned the full clear names of the members of her host family in Canada. I have already contacted them to take out the names, hasn't happened yet but would most likely be too late anyway. A hitsquad is probably being assembled as we write...

Way too much detail has been given on the whole process. All that should've been publicly mentioned is that she has left Thailand and is in a safe place now. She will need to relocate again under a new identity to hat least have a little safety from the saudi government and her family.

steveinbc

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm

The Minister for Foreign Affairs in Canada reported she had welcomed the young Saudi woman into Canada at the weekend. Our PM Justin loves his tweets and photo opportunities! I agree with other posters that it is surprising if you are genuinely in fear of being deported back to "certain death" that your focus os on shopping around for the best offer of asylum. There's something fishy in the whole story i think. From my understanding a woman in saudi cannot leave the country without formal permission from the male guardian (father or husband etc). Somethings up and it will all come out in the wash i predict. If its not genuine then it truly will harm the chances of those women in saudi who are in real fear of their lives from trying to flee.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

tommy1808

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm

steveinbc wrote:
There's something fishy in the whole story i think. From my understanding a woman in saudi cannot leave the country without formal permission from the male guardian (father or husband etc). Somethings up.

yeah.. what is "up" is that she fled from Qatar, since, as you correctly pointed out, Saudi Arabia is a huge slave camp.

best regards
Thomas.
This Singature is a safe space......

BestWestern

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 pm

A3801000 wrote:

Gofundme? She flew business class to Canada.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

A3801000
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 am

BestWestern wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Gofundme? She flew business class to Canada.

And? Do you think she paid for the trip herself?

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am

steveinbc wrote:
The Minister for Foreign Affairs in Canada reported she had welcomed the young Saudi woman into Canada at the weekend. Our PM Justin loves his tweets and photo opportunities! I agree with other posters that it is surprising if you are genuinely in fear of being deported back to "certain death" that your focus os on shopping around for the best offer of asylum. There's something fishy in the whole story i think. From my understanding a woman in saudi cannot leave the country without formal permission from the male guardian (father or husband etc). Somethings up and it will all come out in the wash i predict. If its not genuine then it truly will harm the chances of those women in saudi who are in real fear of their lives from trying to flee.

Her being scared to death is not fishy at all imo! She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and knew this was her only shot. And she barely made it out. Indeed class move by Canada and full credit to this young woman also. (She took on the Saudi regime and she won! Fierce...)

Vio

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 am

So how come my comment here was deleted?
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

ThePointblank

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:12 am

tommy1808 wrote:
steveinbc wrote:
There's something fishy in the whole story i think. From my understanding a woman in saudi cannot leave the country without formal permission from the male guardian (father or husband etc). Somethings up.

yeah.. what is "up" is that she fled from Qatar, since, as you correctly pointed out, Saudi Arabia is a huge slave camp.

best regards
Thomas.

Actually Kuwait, as she apparently slipped away during a family vacation trip. Kuwait permits females to travel alone.

tommy1808

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 am

ThePointblank wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
steveinbc wrote:

best regards
Thomas.

Actually Kuwait, as she apparently slipped away during a family vacation trip. Kuwait permits females to travel alone.

yeah.. my mistake, thanks for the correction.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 am

kaitak wrote:
The silence from the Saudis is deafening; do I hear the swish of sharpening bone saws? I can only imagine the Saudi embassy in Ottawa is gaining any information it can possibly glean about her location ...

I’m sure for her own protection she’ll end up with a new identity and just disappear after the media lose interest.

salttee

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:19 am

Kiwirob wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I’m sure for her own protection she’ll end up with a new identity and just disappear after the media lose interest.

The father won't lose interest. He's a powerful man, she will never be safe as long as he's alive.

ThePointblank

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 am

salttee wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
kaitak wrote:

The father won't lose interest. He's a powerful man, she will never be safe as long as he's alive.

Her parents have disowned her, and right now, she's staying at a facility with 24/7 security onsite for her protection. She hasn't indicated that she intends on staying in Toronto for the long haul, so she could head elsewhere in Canada after a short bit.

Aesma

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:11 am

Her family might do something but I doubt the Saudi state would, they have already crossed a line, now they're trying to recover from that.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

golfradio

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

An op-ed which has a more pragamatic view of this episode

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contrib ... thers.html
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

PIMountaineer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 pm

golfradio wrote:
An op-ed which has a more pragamatic view of this episode

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contrib ... thers.html

Thank you for posting the link. It was certainly worth the read.

mad99

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 am

I’ll bet she doesn’t last one year in Canada. She’ll be back in the sandbox soon enough!

Zeppi

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 am

Aesma wrote:
Her family might do something but I doubt the Saudi state would, they have already crossed a line, now they're trying to recover from that.

Of course her family will be the "executive", but behind the courtains the Saudi government will of course assist them in any way possible, especially with the father being in a quite powerful position. Look for a Kashoggi style action in the near future. Not in an embassy, she'll just disappear on her way to school, grocery shopping, whatever. Only if she continues to be taken care of in such reckless fashion as until now of course.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am

Zeppi wrote:
Not in an embassy, she'll just disappear on her way to school, grocery shopping, whatever.

.... well, i guess we should start burning down an Embassy for each guest they disappear.

best regards
Thomas

blrsea

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Two Saudi girls who had taken asylum in US found dead in mysterious circumstance duct-taped together few months back. She would do good to watch her back.

2 Sisters Were Found Dead in the River, Duct-Taped Together. Police Have Few Answers.

Rotana Farea was 22; Tala Farea was 16. They had a history of going missing, and they had recently requested asylum in the United States, the police said.

stratclub

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rig ... udi_Arabia
From the WIKI article it looks like The Wings of Change are in the air in Saudi. People are getting tired of being forced into religious law that doesn't even support common human decency.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm

stratclub wrote:
The Wings of Change are in the air in Saudi. .

birds get dismembered in Saudi Arabia.

best regards
Thomas

salttee

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm

stratclub wrote:
The Wings of Change are in the air in Saudi. .

Yes, in about 300 years they should be just fine.

stratclub

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 pm

How long did it take communism to fall? Change can happen in a generation.

salttee

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

stratclub wrote:

Yea, sure.

stratclub

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 am

salttee wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Yea, sure.

You should read the article I posted..............

salttee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 am

stratclub wrote:
salttee wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Yea, sure.

You should read the article I posted..............

The one that began: Human rights in Saudi Arabia are intended to be based on the Wahhabi religious laws under absolute rule of the Saudi royal family. The strict regime ruling the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is consistently ranking among the "worst of the worst" in Freedom House's annual survey of political and civil rights.

Maybe you should read it.

787Driver

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:39 am

Aesma wrote:

Me too.. it would be very stupid if the Saudi government to try to hurt her as that would immediately trigger a lot of negative press and maybe sanctions as well. But her family might try and find her...

CitizenJustin

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 am

ThePointblank wrote:
salttee wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Her parents have disowned her, and right now, she's staying at a facility with 24/7 security onsite for her protection. She hasn't indicated that she intends on staying in Toronto for the long haul, so she could head elsewhere in Canada after a short bit.

Agreed. Canada is a massive nation, so there’s plenty of places to disappear. I wish her the best.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 am

salttee wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Yea, sure.

Well, change can happen rather quick. However, there won´t be change as long as the rest of the world pretends Saudi Arabia has a honorable government

And communism only failed quickly as viewed from the west, and only if you didn´t really pay attention. Communism in a large part fell because the USSR wasn´t in the mood to put it down by the end of the 90´s, the Wall in Germany fell suddenly because of a bureaucratic misunderstanding, but places like Poland or Czechoslovakia had plenty of resistance for decades.....

best regards
Thomas

salttee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 am

tommy1808 wrote:
salttee wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Yea, sure.

Well, change can happen rather quick. However, there won´t be change as long as the rest of the world pretends Saudi Arabia has a honorable government

And communism only failed quickly as viewed from the west, and only if you didn´t really pay attention. Communism in a large part fell because the USSR wasn´t in the mood to put it down by the end of the 90´s, the Wall in Germany fell suddenly because of a bureaucratic misunderstanding, but places like Poland or Czechoslovakia had plenty of resistance for decades.....

best regards
Thomas

You really think that the ground zero for fundamentalist Islam can change? And quickly?

I think you're both dreaming.

When the Italians, Spaniards or Latin Americans walk away from Catholicism get back to me. When the Mormons admit that the whole pile of Joseph Smith's hallucinations is really a pile of hogwash, get back to me. Until things like that start to happen, Saudi Arabia is stuck in the 7th century.