Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non-Av pic thread, Q1 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 am

Now that we've settled nicely into 2019 -- hard to believe that we were celebrating the Millennium the day before yesterday, and now we're almost a fifth of the way into the 21st century :eyepopping: -- it's time for a new thread. January is always a photography drought (for me, at least), so I'll start the ball rolling with some end-of-year pics, including Christmas in Dublin, a Christmas Day swim, and, of course, the New Year celebrations:

And a Happy 2019 to everybody on this site :D

WarRI1

Re: Non-Av pic thread, Q1 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 am

Braybuddy.

A nice set of photos, well done. The girl on the rock looks like she is going to take the full plunge. Around here, they usually run in and shallow dive. A brave girl. Was that for New Years day? A Happy 2019 for us all.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

A nice set of photos, well done. The girl on the rock looks like she is going to take the full plunge. Around here, they usually run in and shallow dive. A brave girl. Was that for New Years day? A Happy 2019 for us all.

Thank you! Yes, she took the full plunge, but -- like everyone else -- swam over to the steps opposite and got out. No-one stays in the water this time of year! It was Christmas morning, and it's one of the many similar annual charity swims around the country. They're great fun, but I just stick to the photography . . . :yes:

WarRI1

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Thank you! Yes, she took the full plunge, but -- like everyone else -- swam over to the steps opposite and got out. No-one stays in the water this time of year! It was Christmas morning, and it's one of the many similar annual charity swims around the country. They're great fun, but I just stick to the photography . . . :yes:

I do not blame you on the plunge. I once did that into a pool at a hotel after a few beers in Winter, never been that stupid again. Of course one beer is all I can handle, must have had two. :drunk:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

bunumuring

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey Braybuddy....
All I've been doing over the past fortnight is swim at beaches, in lakes and rivers... But of course I live in Australia and we LOVE nothing more than a hot hot hot Christmas New Year so that we can enjoy getting wet in the great outdoors.
Great photos!
Happy new year,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey Braybuddy....
All I've been doing over the past fortnight is swim at beaches, in lakes and rivers... But of course I live in Australia and we LOVE nothing more than a hot hot hot Christmas New Year so that we can enjoy getting wet in the great outdoors.
Great photos!
Happy new year,
Bunumuring

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you! Much as I love Oz and the climate, bunumuring, I don't think I could quite get my head around the beach on Chrismas day. Our climate leaves a lot to be desired for sure, but I've always loved the atmosphere that the dark evenings, bright lights, fires and snow -- rare though it is here -- create around Christmas. I love the coziness of it all, and always did. Even as a kid when I read about Christmas in Australia and how wonderful it was to go to the beach after Christmas dinner it just seemed too weird for me. People flock out of here for sun holidays this time of year, but I never do. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, and I'm probably the odd one out (which would be par for the course) :D