Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non-Av pic thread, Q1 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 am

Now that we've settled nicely into 2019 -- hard to believe that we were celebrating the Millennium the day before yesterday, and now we're almost a fifth of the way into the 21st century :eyepopping: -- it's time for a new thread. January is always a photography drought (for me, at least), so I'll start the ball rolling with some end-of-year pics, including Christmas in Dublin, a Christmas Day swim, and, of course, the New Year celebrations:

And a Happy 2019 to everybody on this site :D

WarRI1

Re: Non-Av pic thread, Q1 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 am

Braybuddy.

A nice set of photos, well done. The girl on the rock looks like she is going to take the full plunge. Around here, they usually run in and shallow dive. A brave girl. Was that for New Years day? A Happy 2019 for us all.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

A nice set of photos, well done. The girl on the rock looks like she is going to take the full plunge. Around here, they usually run in and shallow dive. A brave girl. Was that for New Years day? A Happy 2019 for us all.

Thank you! Yes, she took the full plunge, but -- like everyone else -- swam over to the steps opposite and got out. No-one stays in the water this time of year! It was Christmas morning, and it's one of the many similar annual charity swims around the country. They're great fun, but I just stick to the photography . . . :yes:

WarRI1

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Thank you! Yes, she took the full plunge, but -- like everyone else -- swam over to the steps opposite and got out. No-one stays in the water this time of year! It was Christmas morning, and it's one of the many similar annual charity swims around the country. They're great fun, but I just stick to the photography . . . :yes:

I do not blame you on the plunge. I once did that into a pool at a hotel after a few beers in Winter, never been that stupid again. Of course one beer is all I can handle, must have had two. :drunk:

bunumuring

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey Braybuddy....
All I've been doing over the past fortnight is swim at beaches, in lakes and rivers... But of course I live in Australia and we LOVE nothing more than a hot hot hot Christmas New Year so that we can enjoy getting wet in the great outdoors.
Great photos!
Happy new year,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey Braybuddy....
All I've been doing over the past fortnight is swim at beaches, in lakes and rivers... But of course I live in Australia and we LOVE nothing more than a hot hot hot Christmas New Year so that we can enjoy getting wet in the great outdoors.
Great photos!
Happy new year,
Bunumuring

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you! Much as I love Oz and the climate, bunumuring, I don't think I could quite get my head around the beach on Chrismas day. Our climate leaves a lot to be desired for sure, but I've always loved the atmosphere that the dark evenings, bright lights, fires and snow -- rare though it is here -- create around Christmas. I love the coziness of it all, and always did. Even as a kid when I read about Christmas in Australia and how wonderful it was to go to the beach after Christmas dinner it just seemed too weird for me. People flock out of here for sun holidays this time of year, but I never do. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, and I'm probably the odd one out (which would be par for the course) :D

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:14 pm

Heading south in January doesn't automatically mean better weather, so it can be a little disappointing when it's no better than at home. But it is an opportunity for some new scenery . . . and pics. Some I liked from a recent trip to Cyprus:

WarRI1

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:01 am

Braybuddy.

Just like being there. One of the two guys playing the board game is distracted watching the camera. Is the Blue small ship on the rocks or is it very close to my eyes?

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Just like being there. One of the two guys playing the board game is distracted watching the camera. Is the Blue small ship on the rocks or is it very close to my eyes?

You know I just noticed that yesterday when I was adding the pic. Hope he wasn't distracted enough to lose the game! Yes, that ship has run aground there WarRI1. A bit of googling threw up the following:

Removal operations at general cargo ship Chrisdul (IMO 8935794) were to be resumed at the end of April 2018. Demolition work had been halted for the winter season. The vessel dragged anchor and grounded at Famagusta Anchorage during bad weather on December 22nd 2016, causing structural damage to the side shell and bottom, with ensuing water ingress. 1977-built, Tanzania-flagged, 438 gt Chrisdul is owned and managed by Neva Marine Co SA of Belize.

Seems it was stranded during a violent storm in 2016, and the rescue cost is more than the value of the ship. Makes for a nice image though!

WarRI1

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 am

Braybuddy.

Thanks for the information. I looked at that picture a few times myself before noticing his eyes. Good job once again.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 pm

Between one thing and another I haven't been snapping as much lately, but now with the days getting longer, and warmer, it's time to get out and about with the camera. Here's a recent mixed selection, with a slight emphasis on spring:

David_itl

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 am

3 month hiatus from going out and about saw me make sure my camera was still working a couple of weeks ago. First set of 4 are from Poole's Cavern in Buxton and Buxton Country Park3 month hiatus from going out and about saw me make sure my camera was still working a couple of weeks ago. First set of 4 are from Poole's Cavern in Buxton and Buxton Country Park

cat shaped rock formation

Stalagmites and stalactites

Potted plant with water feature. Soft focused in editing to see the water

Solomon's temple

now back to one of my favourite haunts, Fountains Abbey in Ripon

St Mary's Church in the Deer Park

sunset showing off the stained glass window of the church.

The abbey itself

and after 4 years of going there, finally seeing the "surprise view" taken from a folly in Studley Royal Water Park. Been quite a bit of pruning of the trees to allow this view

Redd

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm mostly into portrait work, quite a bit of studio in the past. Although I haven't been shooting recently, here's some of my 'recent' work.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 am

Great portraits there Redd, they have a nice edge to them. That guy with the long hair is a ringer for Johnny Depp!

WarRI1

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:31 am

I Thank you all for the photos, well done.

Redd

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:57 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Great portraits there Redd, they have a nice edge to them. That guy with the long hair is a ringer for Johnny Depp!

Thanks! Yeah there is a resemblance..., funny though, he's also a bit of a celebrity here in Poland, hairdresser to the rich and famous. Kajetan Gora.

scbriml

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am

Some from a recent trip to New Zealand for our daughter's wedding...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

johnboy

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:53 am

What lovely pics from everyone!

(Although I must say, the daddy at the sewing machine had me thinking quite dirty thoughts. :stirthepot: )

WarRI1

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:03 am

scbriml

A great set of pictures, thanks for them. A lovely Bride there. I wish them well. I love that mountain shot.

scbriml

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 am

WarRI1 wrote:
scbriml

A great set of pictures, thanks for them. A lovely Bride there. I wish them well. I love that mountain shot.

Thanks, WarRI1.

New Zealand is an amazing place. Yes, she scrubs up quite well - she doesn't get that from me!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

seat64k

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:29 pm

scbriml wrote:

This is outstanding! Mind if I ask what you used? Also, exposure time?

scbriml

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 pm

seat64k wrote:
This is outstanding! Mind if I ask what you used? Also, exposure time?

Thanks, I think it's OKish.

It's an area that I've long wanted to try. While in NZ we visited Lake Tekapo which is considered to be one of the best places in the World for observing the night sky. I took a 'Stargazing Tour' to the Mount John Observatory. If you take a DSLR, they mount it on a motorised platform that tracks the stars so you don't get streaks. I want to try some more, but unfortunately we don't get skies like that anywhere near where I live.

Nikon D700 with 14-24mm @ 24mm, ISO 1600, f/4, 180 second exposure. Settings as recommended by the observatory's staff.

Photography aside, being on the top of a (smallish) mountain with a sky like that was the highlight of the trip for me and one of the most amazing things I've ever done. After our daughter's wedding, of course! :wink2:

seat64k

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

scbriml wrote:
It's an area that I've long wanted to try. While in NZ we visited Lake Tekapo which is considered to be one of the best places in the World for observing the night sky.

All my trips to the Southern Hemisphere have been around weddings, and for some reason they always line up with a full moon, so my attempts at the night sky have been so-so.

scbriml wrote:
I took a 'Stargazing Tour' to the Mount John Observatory. If you take a DSLR, they mount it on a motorised platform that tracks the stars so you don't get streaks.

That certainly helps!

WarRI1

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 am

scbriml wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
scbriml

Thanks, WarRI1.

New Zealand is an amazing place. Yes, she scrubs up quite well - she doesn't get that from me!

I could tell that right away. ;) ;) ;)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
Some from a recent trip to New Zealand for our daughter's wedding...

The first four pics aren't showing on my PC, for some reason. Amazing Milky Way pic, and the bucket and flowers is very nice too. :bigthumbsup:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Some pics from a trip last month to Puglia -- the heel of Italy and one of that country's lovliest regions. It was a neglected backwater for years, but tourism is starting to take off, particulary with the town of Matera being designated European City of Culture for 2019. Pics also taken in Bari, Alberobello and the beautiful city of Lecce:

WarRI1

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:23 am

Braybuddy.

Is there any religious significance or is it just repaired damage to the 4 digit right hand on the I assume Bishop's statue? His left hand has a broken un-repaired thumb. The last picture is quite different. looks like nighttime and daytime.

BartSimpson

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 am

Thanks Braybuddy!

Do you talk with those people before you take pictures? Most of them look quite content with being photographed.

My entry for this round:

ImageRegenbogen

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Is there any religious significance or is it just repaired damage to the 4 digit right hand on the I assume Bishop's statue? His left hand has a broken un-repaired thumb. The last picture is quite different. looks like nighttime and daytime.

I doubt it, WarRI1. I'd say it's just broken. Trust your eagle-eye to spot something that had escaped my attention completely! The last picture was taken at night, but the lighting immediately caught my eye. I thought it looked really well, and a nice change from the traditional white lighting used on historic buildings. :bigthumbsup:

BartSimpson wrote:
Thanks Braybuddy!

Do you talk with those people before you take pictures? Most of them look quite content with being photographed.

I'm not a fan of posed photos at all, so talking with them beforehand would defeat the purpose of candid photography. If they are aware of me taking a photo I will always engage with them afterwards, then show them the pic and offer to send it to them, which they usually are glad to accept.

Nice rainbow pic, BTW!